IGNORED

Blogging as Ideological Control

Soldier of the One

The thread on 'why fundies flounce' got me thinking a little :)

I am wondering to what degree 'fundie' blogs actually form a type of ideological control. The blogger's 'public' online persona and the social cohesion/control provided by her (or his!) blogging faith community must make it hard for someone to 'change their mind' on any given beliefs.

In other words, the blogging community actually ensures that young bloggers don't stray. There is no space on their blogs to express (existential) doubts, anxieties, fears or disagreements. There is no space on their blogs for the blogger to experiment with her identity or beliefs for fear of losing readership.

This is, of course, the danger of teh intarwebz. The more solidly we project ourselves online, the harder it is to back down from said position.

What do you think?

I am wondering to what degree 'fundie' blogs actually form a type of ideological control. The blogger's 'public' online persona and the social cohesion/control provided by her (or his!) blogging faith community must make it hard for someone to 'change their mind' on any given beliefs.

In other words, the blogging community actually ensures that young bloggers don't stray. There is no space on their blogs to express (existential) doubts, anxieties, fears or disagreements. There is no space on their blogs for the blogger to experiment with her identity or beliefs for fear of losing readership.

This is, of course, the danger of teh intarwebz. The more solidly we project ourselves online, the harder it is to back down from said position.

What do you think?

The reason these people create and maintain their blogs is precisely because they are so certain of their ideologies......not only are there no introspection, doubts, or disagreements; on the contrary, they have all the answers--they have the corner on that market. As many pastors and their wives do in their churches, these bloggers set themselves up as objects of worship and praise, and they feel justified (and entitled) because, after all, they are God-appointed with the truth. Those who question them are hateful and evil, simply because of the God factor.

I think you're right, though - that's why we see bloggers change their minds, but instead of evolving visibly a lot of them seem to shut down the blog and start up again, later, under another name with a whole new persona.

And they *have* to be getting more ideological reinforcement online than in their daily lives.

That might be true and probably is in many cases. On the other hand, often the people who are the 'loudest' (in any given social situation, including the internet) are often the most insecure about whatever it is they are shouting about. I am just wondering whether the online fundie community is just an extra control-factor for young women in the offline fundie community.

Sure, they get praise and adulation but they also set themselves up for a greater degree of scrutiny.

I think you're right, though - that's why we see bloggers change their minds, but instead of evolving visibly a lot of them seem to shut down the blog and start up again, later, under another name with a whole new persona.

And they *have* to be getting more ideological reinforcement online than in their daily lives.

Good point. I also think is easier to ignore the 'shades of grey' that we encounter in real life when you're cultivating your online persona. (This applies to any of us, really). Everything becomes more stereotypical, more black-and-white and 'larger than life' online.

That might be true and probably is in many cases. On the other hand, often the people who are the 'loudest' (in any given social situation, including the internet) are often the most insecure about whatever it is they are shouting about.

I'm not sure that's accurate. In the case of these fundies, I think it may be just the opposite, and the reason is because they "know" God. A high degree of arrogance involved.

Perhaps you're right. Since I am not a fundie, I find it hard to imagine myself in that mindset, believing that I 'know' God.

Also, claiming to 'know' God is a big no-no in my faith (Judaism). Not even Moses, who 'talked to God face-to-face' never got to 'see His face'.

Perhaps you're right. Since I am not a fundie, I find it hard to imagine myself in that mindset, believing that I 'know' God.

Also, claiming to 'know' God is a big no-no in my faith (Judaism). Not even Moses, who 'talked to God face-to-face' never got to 'see His face'.

But it's the very basis of who a fundie is in their "faith." They consider themselves God-empowered, God-ordained, and therefore, are "bold" and what others see as judgmental and harsh. In their minds, they are speaking for God.

What do you think?

Cialdini would agree with you and called it the power of commitment and consistency, the hobgoblins of little minds, as Emerson put it.

lucifereffect.com/guide_cialdini-b.htm

Also, in hypnosis, after a person is brought out of trance, the therapist is supposed to ask the person what the experience was like and what they remember. It is an essential part of the process because the person essentially rehearses what happened and reinforces it. The therapist may not necessarily be looking to learn new info from the client, and its real purpose is this rehearsing of what the person recalls after the trance. This is part of why cults have you give testimonies and talk about your experiences after a church service or a conference session. It puts you into a slower, more suggestible brainwave pattern and extends the effect of the session/church service. Robert Lifton included this in his eight techniques used by manipulative, idealistc, cultic groups.

20 points for an Emerson reference :) <3

This is obvious, but their 'communities' are limited both in real life and online. They purposely surround themselves with "like-minded" people and basically shun or keep their distance from those who aren't. Even they did have doubts and a desire to explore where would they go? Who would they talk to? The isolation and lack of resources/knowledge is very powerful as well as the threat of being ostracized from the group.

20 points for an Emerson reference :) <3

This is obvious, but their 'communities' are limited both in real life and online. They purposely surround themselves with "like-minded" people and basically shun or keep their distance from those who aren't. Even they did have doubts and a desire to explore where would they go? Who would they talk to? The isolation and lack of resources/knowledge is very powerful as well as the threat of being ostracized from the group.

I'd agree with that. I think the Christian fundamentalist movement (especially the Dominionist/Calvinist branches) is smaller than their vocal internet presence suggests. In reality, a lot of these young bloggers must be terribly lonely with few opportunities for communal interaction.

Archived