IGNORED

Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 2: Still Grifting

Coconut Flan
hoipolloi
Message added by hoipolloi,

REMINDER:

Please be sure that when you quote from someone's social media accounts or provide screenshots that their account is a public account, and not private.

Please review FJ's rule on the use of private information. Paraphrasing is allowed if you happen to be a FB friend or IG follower. 

41 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Same. On one hand I feel like a bit of a voyeur but on the other hand...$3 to make a phone bill. At some point you hey start sounding like an addict! "I only need $5 for this. I only need another twenty. 10 more would help me SOOO much."

You make a good point. Could addiction play a role in this? Addicts can be manipulative to get what they want. They rarely say, "I need $20 for alcohol." It's always "I need to make rent, for food, for my grandmother's operation."  And their need is constant, as this need seems to be.

If this is about addiction, I'm sure there are many programs in Seattle that can help. Addiction doesn't have the stigma it used to. There's nothing wrong with seeking help.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

You make an excellent point. I think they don't WANT to be financially savvy and save money. Like heaven forbid they use coupons and a promo code for anything. I don't know exactly why they are how they are, but my brain is always conditioned to save money, and the money of those around me. If someone offers to buy me dinner and I have a coupon for that restaurant, I'll gladly hand it over. I'm sure they also feel the $5 admission to the aquarium isn't "as good" as the regular admission. It's the same damn aquarium, and they aren't going to make you wear a badge of shame. 

We are middle class and I grew up middle class. We were comfortable.  Yet now and then we *always* used coupons, discounts, etc.  We would go places and my mom would pack sandwiches for us to eat so we wouldn't have to pay the high prices at the venues. We used coupons or ate at early bird times.  We almost never order sodas at restaurants - only water.  We would go to disneyland and stay at cheaper off site hotels with a shuttle, pack food and only buy snacks at the parks.  We fly to Hawaii using miles if possible or I wait till the prices drop low enough (I flew us there for $159 each 1 way and we used miles home).  We stay at a place with a kitchen and go to costco.  I bought a family membership to the botanical gardens there because there were 2 of them and it was cheaper than buying individual tickets.  I am always on the hunt for bargains!

I can't imagine living so close to the edge that I don't have $3 for my phone bill. The stress of that has got to be absolutely terrible. What happens when one of their cats needs vet care?  Most vets won't take payments.  They require payment at the time of service. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

Here in the U.K. there’s a charity called the PDSA - People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals. They provide compassionate vet care for sick/injured animals whose owners are otherwise unable to pay. 

This kind of lifestyle just isn’t sustainable. How long is Artemis going to be able to live like this? I get that having a disability/being in chronic pain is tough, but relying on internet handouts from strangers must be really stressful, and I can’t imagine stress does much good if you’re already disabled/in pain. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, keepercjr said:

I can't imagine living so close to the edge that I don't have $3 for my phone bill.

But if you are living that close to the edge, why would you want $50 for a cheesecake? Why buy a book trilogy that you could read for free from the library?

1 hour ago, keepercjr said:

We would go places and my mom would pack sandwiches for us to eat so we wouldn't have to pay the high prices at the venues. We used coupons or ate at early bird times.  We almost never order sodas at restaurants - only water.

And always went to the cheap matinees of 2nd run movies and never bought popcorn but snuck in the treats. 

Sandwiches! My mom would make sandwiches for everything! I do too. I make a mean sandwich and I can't stand the high prices at so many venues for 3rd rate food, so... a sandwich in your pocket is your friend.🤣

Seriously, though, I was raised by parents who were children during the Depression, and their frugal mindset lives on in me. I can boil beans with the best of them. The asks from Artemis boggle my mind.

Everyone deserves food, shelter, and healthcare. Neither of my parents finished school because they had to work. The deprivation that my dad had to endure really did a number on him. I would not wish that for anyone.

So I do want Art to have their medicine and to have transportation to their medical appointments and have a safe non-moldy roof over their head. And as evidenced here with all the research into museum ticket work-arounds, a lot of people would really like to help them.

But they don't want help. They want money. For cheesecake. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

9 hours ago, keepercjr said:

How do they not know this stuff? 

I was thinking about this and I think they just grew up middle class and don't appear to have had the experience of even being a student and living on a fixed income so that you find the cheapest way to do things. I mean I also grew up middle class then lived as a student for 8 years on stipends with casual work. The aquarium discount for EBT holders - it is absolutely wild to me that they were apparently unaware of it, that is the kind of thing I still look out for when I'm booking stuff (is it cheaper before x time? Is there a group discount? Am i eligible for any discounts? etc.) The planning your money around fixed expenses - for me that still comes from those first years living away from home where even with a parental safety net available it went "rent, quarterly bills, groceries, transport, rest."

They don't seem to have the mindset at all.

Also thank you to everyone for the museum lists, if I make it to Seattle I am going to have to plan my visit well to see as much as possible.

• Upvote 10

I know her dad isn't a good guy, but all her other siblings seem to be living normal productive and happy lives. One of her sisters eloped in Vegas and just posted today about getting her first tattoo. I have no doubt Art has some mental strains like depression anxiety and maybe some disorder (I'm not sure what diagnosis's other than depression, Ptsd and anxiety she has.) but even without medication lost of people get through life dealing with depression and anxiety and come from worse places than Art and still somehow do better. There's no doubt there are lots of problems and inequalities in this country but I feel some of the extreme progressive ideas are holding her back from actually trying to make her life better. She thinks Healthcare, food rent and everything else should be free and their art and writings she be making them at least a working wage, but because its not I'm not actually going to try to make my life better. Just beg people for a over priced medicine and non essential  items.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, waltraute said:

But they don't want help. They want money. For cheesecake. 

Quality cheesecake. Because the frozen Sara Lee cheesecake isn't good enough for their celebration. 

31 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

I know her dad isn't a good guy, but all her other siblings seem to be living normal productive and happy lives. One of her sisters eloped in Vegas and just posted today about getting her first tattoo. I have no doubt Art has some mental strains like depression anxiety and maybe some disorder (I'm not sure what diagnosis's other than depression, Ptsd and anxiety she has.) but even without medication lost of people get through life dealing with depression and anxiety and come from worse places than Art and still somehow do better. There's no doubt there are lots of problems and inequalities in this country but I feel some of the extreme progressive ideas are holding her back from actually trying to make her life better. She thinks Healthcare, food rent and everything else should be free and their art and writings she be making them at least a working wage, but because its not I'm not actually going to try to make my life better. Just beg people for a over priced medicine and non essential  items.

Please use proper pronouns. Artemis prefers they/their. Thank you. And I totally agree with you, these beliefs are a big reason why they aren't moving forward on life. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 3

58 minutes ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

Quality cheesecake. Because the frozen Sara Lee cheesecake isn't good enough for their celebration. 

Please use proper pronouns. Artemis prefers they/their. Thank you. And I totally agree with you, these beliefs are a big reason why they aren't moving forward on life. 

First, you laugh at Art's cheesecake requests. The next minute, you become the Pronoun Police on their behalf.   Pick a lane.

If you are going to support them, support them.  

You could also give a little grace. The  FJ Thread Title deadnames Art (whose last name isn't Jeub). Art's Amazon account is also under their deadname, and Art hasn't changed it.

It sounds it takes time for everyone to adjust to something new.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 3

I left Jeub in the title so people wouldd have half a clue who we're talking about.  No one except diligent readers of Artemis would know.  

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 6

9 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

Them/they gets a little confusing when it refers to a single entity. The correct grammar would be they go to the store, and that implies more than one person. If a person goes to the store alone you wouldn't say they goes to the store, you'd say he goes to the store, and she goes to the store. 

They have bigger issues than what pronoun they prefer. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 2: Still Grifting

As I predicted, the Fancy Tylenol debacle pushed a lot of people over their limit. Their latests requests do not seem to be gaining any traction. 

I'm also starting to feel skeptical. If you don't have an extra $3 for the phone bill, you generally wouldn't be planning an expensive birthday for your partner. It doesn't add up.

Similarly, if you are on EBT, you've probably been informed about all the benefits you get.  Surely someone told Art, gave them a link, or handed them a brochure, about the museum benefits. 

I'm surprised Art isn't writing a poem and making a coupon for a back massage. She's gifted at writing and drawing, so she could do it well and make a nice gift. In our family we give gifts like that in good times and bad.

I'm happy to use any pronoun anyone wants. However, in this particular case, it makes things unclear. It's unclear whether I'm talking Art, or Art and her partner. 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

First, you laugh at Art's cheesecake requests. The next minute, you become the Pronoun Police on their behalf.   Pick a lane.

If you are going to support them, support them.  

You could also give a little grace. The  FJ Thread Title deadnames Art (whose last name isn't Jeub). Art's Amazon account is also under their deadname, and Art hasn't changed it.

It sounds it takes time for everyone to adjust to something new.

I'm allowed to find the cheesecake request ridiculous while still kindly suggesting we honor Art's requested pronouns. It's not an either/or scenario. And I was giving grace, I asked to please use the proper pronouns. I wasn't demanding or being rude in any way. I do agree the they/their pronoun can be confusing because it typically is used as a plural form. 

• Upvote 22
  • Love 2

I slept like crap last night and have a long shift today. Being the asshole I am I felt like writing a paragraph using their pronouns to see if I could write it in a way where it's clear who I'm talking of even though I'm using they/them.

Art is going to the store by themselves. They're taking Aramis with them. The two of them will buy walhat they want and they'll complain about the rest. When Art gets home Art will continue complaining about what necessary non necessities Art needs for Aramis. Both of them come across as professional grifters. It's possible Aramis fell for Art because Art may have claimed to know how to grift. Aramis amd Art are using each other for their own benefits. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

As I predicted, the Fancy Tylenol debacle pushed a lot of people over their limit. Their latests requests do not seem to be gaining any traction. 

I'm also starting to feel skeptical. If you don't have an extra $3 for the phone bill, you generally wouldn't be planning an expensive birthday for your partner. It doesn't add up.

Art updated and said they got the $3 they needed for the phone bill. So the grift continues another day.

I feel almost certain that rent is going to come up again this month. We'll see.

• Upvote 7

19 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

You make a good point. Could addiction play a role in this? Addicts can be manipulative to get what they want. They rarely say, "I need $20 for alcohol." It's always "I need to make rent, for food, for my grandmother's operation."  And their need is constant, as this need seems to be.

If this is about addiction, I'm sure there are many programs in Seattle that can help. Addiction doesn't have the stigma it used to. There's nothing wrong with seeking help.

I think it's likely. Not only because of the constant mysterious asks that don't add up, but also because the quality of writing has plummeted. Both on content and style. And yeah, my brain short circuited with the $3 phone bill and the $50 cheesecake requests. Addiction would be the Occam's Razor explanation here.

And you're right, there is help for that. If that is the case I hope they seek it out. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I slept like crap last night and have a long shift today. Being the asshole I am I felt like writing a paragraph using their pronouns to see if I could write it in a way where it's clear who I'm talking of even though I'm using they/them.

Art is going to the store by themselves. They're taking Aramis with them. The two of them will buy walhat they want and they'll complain about the rest. When Art gets home Art will continue complaining about what necessary non necessities Art needs for Aramis. Both of them come across as professional grifters. It's possible Aramis fell for Art because Art may have claimed to know how to grift. Aramis amd Art are using each other for their own benefits. 

It's certainly possible!

It is confusing! I was reading an obituary on how someone lived with their parents and died as a result of their epilepsy. I was really confused as to why someone's parent's epilepsy would cause their child to pass away and then I  realized the person's pronouns were their and they. 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

The phrase "Quality Cheesecake" is going to live in my brain for a while. Not just any cheesecake, quality cheesecake. I despise baking so pretty much any cheesecake gets a "go you!" from me. I'd also suggest that they just get one from the grocery store, using their Quest card/SNAP. 

I know my state has a mini-grant available to fund up to $2,500 for quality of life (laptops, furniture) for people who need assistance. There's a couple of things that you need to do to qualify but mental illness is a qualifier. I can't imagine that a much bigger state wouldn't have more money available for that sort of thing. 

• Upvote 10

Legit, Art not doing well mentally or physically. We all see this. I’ve never given them a dime because I am a social worker and vote with my dollar, so no, doesn’t qualify  

Reframe: the worst FJ Trolleta is here and Art doesn’t deserve this. They are not British Royalty. They aren’t even JillRod territory, hasn’t brought any, let alone 13 children into the situation. Troll is going to keep trolling and by upvoting etc their comments we are just encouraging them  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

Legit, Art not doing well mentally or physically. We all see this. I’ve never given them a dime because I am a social worker and vote with my dollar, so no, doesn’t qualify  

I agree. I was re-reading her HuffPo article and it was so well written, just a fine piece of writing. I hadn't realized just how awful both Chris and Wendy had been, and how narcissistic.

With her writing, Art could really open people's eyes about the fundamentalist world, and help others. I hope they can pull themselves out of this and start writing again.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, Sweetpickle said:

It is confusing! I was reading an obituary on how someone lived with their parents and died as a result of their epilepsy. I was really confused as to why someone's parent's epilepsy would cause their child to pass away and then I  realized the person's pronouns were their and they. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Yeah, I find it confusing too. English needs better non-binary pronouns.

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

Reframe: the worst FJ Trolleta is here and Art doesn’t deserve this. They are not British Royalty. They aren’t even JillRod territory, hasn’t brought any, let alone 13 children into the situation. Troll is going to keep trolling and by upvoting etc their comments we are just encouraging them  

@nelliebelle1197 I know mods are reluctant to come up with new rules but fundiewatch has brought up a relevant point regarding Troll who trolls. Art has made their pronouns clear and Troll continues to disrespect Art by blatantly using the wrong pronouns. 

• Upvote 11

On 10/11/2023 at 9:49 PM, Jackie3 said:

We can support someone's gender transition by using their pronouns and still laugh at the idea of a $50 quality cheesecake. 

One thing doesn't affect the other. A person can be lazy. That lazy person doesn't deserve to be misgendered. They may or may not deserve mockery for their behavior and grifting to support their non-traditional lifestyle, but that doesn't mean we get to be bigots. And yes, I think it's bigoted behavior to purposely misgender someone, which is what you are repeatedly doing. 

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Yeah, I find it confusing too. English needs better non-binary pronouns.

I've been trying to distinguish between Art and their partner by using names when I can and generally being a little bit more particular with my writing. It's been kind of fun IMO.  In general, context matters. 

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

@nelliebelle1197 I know mods are reluctant to come up with new rules but fundiewatch has brought up a relevant point regarding Troll who trolls. Art has made their pronouns clear and Troll continues to disrespect Art by blatantly using the wrong pronouns. 

My error was pointed out to me, and I believe Art has been properly gendered since that time. Should I try to write more like you did on Sunday? A properly-gendered abusive comment?

giraffe.thumb.png.0adbffedd05da01fb04698ebf7b6cf76.png

I see a lot of blatant disrespect to a nonbinary person in your comment.

Edited by Jackie3

With the 742290574 platforms they are asking for money on, do the amounts given show up publicly so everyone else knows the current crisis is averted or could Artemis wait 3 hours and get the amount many times over before announcing it is covered?

The only platform I have ever seen is Gofundme and I have never used PayPal or anything else, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic