IGNORED

Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 2: Still Grifting

Coconut Flan
hoipolloi
Message added by hoipolloi,

REMINDER:

Please be sure that when you quote from someone's social media accounts or provide screenshots that their account is a public account, and not private.

Please review FJ's rule on the use of private information. Paraphrasing is allowed if you happen to be a FB friend or IG follower. 

Continued from here:

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1

I feel like a lot of the "asks" are because they don't clean things, and choose to buy new when things get dirty. Like all new towels and sheets? A new cat tree? Buy this thing and clean it! https://www.amazon.com/Uproot-Cleaner-Reusable-Hair-Remover/dp/B09LNX88YK

IDK, I know I have limited patience for this kind of support. I just can't take sob stories. It's always one thing after another and they need support and to "talk" but whenever you have a problem it's not important to them even though you have bent over backwards to always be there and give rides and buy food and help out. I would not be surprised to hear that they don't really have very many friends IRL either. 

It seems so sad that they went through so much and are now just languishing and not doing much beyond asking for money to color. It's been 10 years and no job. They could sign up for online classes and get a degree. There are student loans and aid available. Bookkeeping can be done remotely, and every bookkeeper I know has like a dozen different businesses and more potential clients than they can hand off. 

• Upvote 12

As a mental health therapist, I really don’t know that we need to kick this poor child while they are down and deadname them in the thread title. I want better for Art too but they are coming from a really tough situation. Not meaning to offend anyone. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

Sorry my personal life is absolute chaos at the moment with two possible surgeries hanging ovver my head and starting the new thread I copied from the old while getting ready for a different docctor appointment.  I don't feel bad about the grifting though.  Begging for specialty items to be delivered is worse than  or even with Jill Rodrigues.  There is a time to take responsibility and quit blaming everything on the parents.  They've passed it.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Artemis (Cynthia) Jeub 2: Still Grifting
2 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

As a mental health therapist, I really don’t know that we need to kick this poor child while they are down and deadname them in the thread title. I want better for Art too but they are coming from a really tough situation. Not meaning to offend anyone. 

Don't think anyone has been kicking them.  It's not mean to criticize begging for non essential items (a fucking new cat tree now?) while at the same time literally refusing to do anything suggested to help yourself.  As for the deadnaming I think it's appropriate contextually as not many know who they are with their new name.    

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

I had barely noticed the new name.. I'm not sure it's ever been much a focal point of discussion.  If it was I missed it..  

• Upvote 2

@Coconut Flan I know you didn’t and appreciate that. There are people in this thread who definitely do know about the name/identity shift and TBH there are times when it feels like it’s meant to be an insult. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

There was a lot of support for her early on. I am on a fixed low income, I still donated once/month to her Patreon. It has now been 10 years. Lots of people come out of very tough situations but at some point most got their shit together and didn't grift from others and wallow in self pity.

FFS, a new cat hammock because the old one had to be thrown out! "We had to get rid of this little hammock because it was so covered in cat hair and dust." Clean it. You have a partner with a respiratory illness, dust and cat hair cannot be good for him. It takes some kind of nerve to beg for a cat hammock when you've been begging for this and that for months now. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

15 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

I agree it's wrong to "kick" them. I think many of us would like to see Art succeed and it's frustrating that she ignores opportunities to live a better life. I'd contribute to her gofundmes, and I think others would, if I thought she was working towards something.

However, it's inaccurate to call her a "child." I believe she is 30 or 31.

I just finished Elishaba Hale's memoir. She grew up in the Alaskan wilderness in primitive conditions, was beaten viciously by her father for years, watched her siblings being beaten, and was raped by the same father for years in the bedroom she shared with her 15 siblings. 

There are people who have experienced mind-destroying trauma and gone on to live productive, successful lives.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 9/16/2023 at 7:22 AM, Jackie3 said:

I agree it's wrong to "kick" them. I think many of us would like to see Art succeed and it's frustrating that she ignores opportunities to live a better life. 

It is NOT easy to watch. I find 30 or 31 to be the age a lot of post-fundie people really fall apart. I am no expert, just from what I've seen in my own life. 

If I had to guess why, I'd say it's because the impact of what you lost during your childhood really hits home. Adulting is hard work. For those of us who carried an adult workload at an early age this realization comes with a deep sense of loss and grief. And that's just one aspect of the cold shower real world experience of leaving the abusive household. It's a gift that comes with many levels. 

I was really excited when they were working on finishing high school as preparation for college. Filling in the blanks is a lifelong journey for homeschoolers who studied a limited fare. The work needs to be ongoing for progress to be made.

• Upvote 9

This is heartbreaking. Just goes to show how the fundie goals do not prepare children for adulthood and leave them really ill equipped to deal with adulthood as well as sort through the heavy load of trauma. 

I'm an older generation, so I don't really understand the asking internet for money approach, but I see it really frequently. 

I think I would have to have literally no other options at all to do that, but it does seem more normative for younger generations. IDK, though, my circle is so small. What do younger people think? 

• Upvote 5

My kids are appalled at the basically refusal to do what they can to support themselves and the begging for non-necessities.  Their first response was Mama you aren't tempted to waste money on them are you?  

• Upvote 9

They are hungry and Art doesn't want to cook. Who wants to "pitch in" on some DoorDash? They cooked on Friday but the only thing left is beans. 

I can not with Door Dash. Items are already priced $1-$3 higher on the app, then there is a Door Dash fee of $4-$5, then a tip, and a delivery charge. And it seems like the only people using the app now are the younger people, who are generally not paid that well to begin with. My receptionist orders DD 1-4 times a week, and it's not because we don't let her leave her desk.  I also have offered to pick up food for us all, or to go through a drive through for her, but she prefers to order with the app. 

As for Art, no.  I understand not wanting to cook. I understand not having any support and feeling overwhelmed and while I don't have a chronic pain condition, I have had some serious injuries and/or illness (I broke my ankle rock climbing and thought it was a sprain, I've had surgeries and infections and covid). I've still managed to feed myself or find someone to help me warm up some soup without begging strangers to give me money for delivery.  

Even when I was 19 and my roommate and I were flat broke, jobless and two weeks from eviction, we found ways to eat - slinging cocktails at a club one night, filling in on a day shift at a bar, splitting sandwiches, making friends who worked in kitchens and getting donations, going on dates with men we had no intention of dating, etc. Somehow that seems less icky to me than asking on line for someone to spend double what food costs to have it left on my doorstep. Even asking for a pizza makes more sense - at least pizza places still deliver their own food and it's less money. Plus the person who wants to donate the pizza could call the pizza place and tell them where to deliver it. 

I don't know. I just feel like they could do something - offer paintings in exchange for money. Write more. DO something. At the very least, register to vote if you are going to fill your page with political thoughts. I'm also wondering why, if they are home all day, not working, and supposedly trying to make a living off of blogging/writing, why they aren't writing more? No one knew who Tara Westover was, but she sold her book. Not very many people will be interested in the story of someone who was on one episode of a TLC reality show 20 years ago, but people are very interested in LGBTQ non-fiction. They are also interested in unique POVs and memoirs. 

Or apply for financial aid and go to school. Something. Anything beyond asking everyone on fb and twitter to support them by buying them every single object that they are attracted to on Amazon. 

• Upvote 14

13 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

They are hungry and Art doesn't want to cook. Who wants to "pitch in" on some DoorDash? They cooked on Friday but the only thing left is beans. 

I didn't want to cook tonight, but I did and I can afford Door Dash.  However, I'm not about to pay the outrageous price involved with Door Dash when I'm still able bodied enough to get to the kitchen.  ::smh::  I simply can't with their mindset.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

I didn't want to cook tonight, but I did and I can afford Door Dash.  However, I'm not about to pay the outrageous price involved with Door Dash when I'm still able bodied enough to get to the kitchen.  ::smh::  I simply can't with their mindset.

Amen. I've seen these posts from Art time and again and it's beyond old and stale, it's covered in green mold at this point. My husband and I both tested positive for COVID yesterday. He's more symptomatic than I am, but we both feel achy and awful. We know we have to eat, so it was canned soup heated up with toast for dinner. Not exactly gourmet, but it was minimal effort and satisfied us. There have been plenty of times where ordering food for delivery (or even for pick-up) would be easier, but then I remember that $25-30 will go much further in my savings account/retirement fund. It's called being an adult, and while it can suck it can be awesome when you realize that through hard work and effort, you CAN stand on your own two feet. 

I began following Art earlier this year when they needed funds to buy a bulk order of bamboo toilet paper and paper towels. Then they were asking for Door Dash funds for dinner that night. I have empathy for someone who went through trauma and it has affected their life, but they have admitted that they don't want to work because they don't want to be a cog in the wheel of some billionaire's machine. That's a wonderful thought but most of us get over it and realize that being a cog in the wheel is a hell of a lot better than being unhoused and hungry. I lost sympathy when they were pointing out that they fear people aren't able or willing to help them anymore, but could people still cough up funds anyway? There are times in life where we all need help but this is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 15

I came here to say they've got to be trolling now, right? But no.  Are you freaking kidding me asking for $60 to feed two people one meal? I hope this makes their sympathizers give their head a shake.

• Upvote 10

8 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

I have empathy for someone who went through trauma and it has affected their life, but they have admitted that they don't want to work because they don't want to be a cog in the wheel of some billionaire's machine.

There are ways to support yourself without being the cog in the wheel of anything. Work for an independent store! Make tortillas and sell them on the street. Open your own business. Rake someone's lawn. Walk dogs! There are lots of ways to earn money without lining Jeff Bezos' pockets.

Though I must point out that they buy from Amazon all the time, and have a large Wish List. They don't want to work for a large corp like Amazon but it's OK to buy from Amazon? -- that's inconsistent.

On her twitter,Art wrote:

Poor people deserve to order out. Disabled people deserve to order out. We shouldn’t be forced to rely on the labor of meal plans and food bank runs.

I'm not sure how to respond to this. Of course they deserve to order out--if they can pay for it. It's not about deserving, it's about cost. 

Or how to respond to the second sentence. We are all forced to rely on our own labor, when it comes to meal prep, or meal planning. It's a part of life for everyone, except for the very wealthy.  It's actually a point of pride for most people, to be self-sufficient. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

Also, too. The delivery services like Door Dash are notorious for taking a cut from restaurants, which means restaurants have to raise the prices they charge, and also abusing their "employees" who deliver the food. I put quotes around the word employees because like so much of the gig economy, the delivery services are trying to avoid the real cost of what people need to live by calling their employees contractors.

DoorDash itself is a large company, so technically a "bad guy."

Edited by FiveAcres
  • Upvote 7

44 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I came here to say they've got to be trolling now, right? But no.  Are you freaking kidding me asking for $60 to feed two people one meal? I hope this makes their sympathizers give their head a shake.

And in 12 days they will be once again asking for rent. I guarantee it. 

Some of their stuff about how upsetting it is to be "wasteful" when they moved and had to abandon possessions and food makes no sense. Why not sell stuff on fb marketplace? Or post it to their local "buy nothing" group? Why not look on the buy nothing pages for cat supplies? 

Why whine about capitalism while asking other people to support it buy purchasing stuff for you from unethical corporations? It's still capitalism but with extra steps. 

I get it, the system is unfair. But you still have learn how to live in the world that exists. 

I wonder if they will bother to register to vote, and then vote? Or is that "playing into the system" as well? 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I hate cooking, I don't feel like cooking more days than I do feel like cooking but I need to eat. I have cancer and heart failure, I have days that are tough but who doesn't. Get out of bed Art, open a can of soup, make PBJ or cheese  sandwiches, will cost a lot less than $60. Who in their right mind will donate to them?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 10

I agree with those who have mentioned the simple options when you don't feel like cooking--canned soup or stew, frozen dinners, even cereal.  One thing that puzzles me is Ryann's seeming complete lack of participation in this part of their life.  I know she has serious health problems and uses a wheelchair sometimes, but is she so disabled that she can't get a simple meal on the table when Art doesn't feel up to it?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

2 hours ago, Foursquare said:

I agree with those who have mentioned the simple options when you don't feel like cooking--canned soup or stew, frozen dinners, even cereal.  One thing that puzzles me is Ryann's seeming complete lack of participation in this part of their life.  I know she has serious health problems and uses a wheelchair sometimes, but is she so disabled that she can't get a simple meal on the table when Art doesn't feel up to it?

Other people in wheelchairs managed to feed themselves. They don’t require full time attendants.

I can put together a quick supper in five minutes. Faster than it takes to go online and order door dash. This is about wants, not needs. 

• Upvote 5

Once in a while I "treat" myself to Doordash-- on my birthday, or if my husband is away and I get The Big Sads. Our power was out earlier, and I was tempted to DoorDash in some soup (it's one of "those" days)... but then our power came back so I just heated up some canned soup.

I also have medical issues, where some days (like today) I am very limited in what i can eat-- if I can eat at all! That's why I try to stay stocked up on "safe" things like soup/broth, applesauce, and bread/saltines. Not only are they easy but those those things are all inexpensive!

Edited by PopRox
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 6

9 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

Also, too. The delivery services like Door Dash are notorious for taking a cut from restaurants, which means restaurants have to raise the prices they charge, and also abusing their "employees" who deliver the food. I put quotes around the word employees because like so much of the gig economy, the delivery services are trying to avoid the real cost of what people need to live by calling their employees contractors.

Oh jeez, I didn’t know that. I use DD much more often than I’d prefer because of a toxic combination of chronic pain, exhaustion, depression, and crippling social anxiety. But I can see I need to cut back. That’s a crappy system. I wish there were a better solution.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Love 4

11 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I have zero sympathy. Zero. It has been ten years and they have done nothing too help themselves except grift.  $60 for a meal?  I could have taken that $60 to Aldi and bought them enough groceries to eat nutritious meals for at least a week!  

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 2: Still Grifting
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic