Bontragers/Bowers/Helferichs 12

Coconut Flan

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That kiss was awkward. I think Taylor has his mouth open 😬

He really went for it, lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

I will never understand why these fundie men think weddings are a time for their stand up comedy. First, you aren’t actually funny. Second, the day isn’t about you. Stop trying to get cheap laughs, especially at the bride and groom’s expense! For people who claim to take marriage so seriously, their weddings do not show that. Ugh 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 11

I am so disappointed, the bridesmaid dresses were fugly, the pastor was an asshole, Taylor can't sing at all, Pa Helferich was his usual dickead self but that didn't surprise me, and no bloviating from Creepy Marlin!  I was kinda looking forward that that just so I could laugh at him.

• Upvote 3

The couple acted so different from the last wedding where the groom was a Bontrager and the bride was a Helferich. These two have such different personalities from their siblings. Which is totally fine. But it’s interesting to see. 

Oh my a change in venue for the reception last minute! Crazy. I feel bad for Susanna. That would have stressed me out so bad on my wedding day. 

• Upvote 4

I also hated the vows, no divorce for any reason.  Even if your husband is convicted of watching CSAM and sent to the Federal Pen for 12 years?

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 2

I watched bits and pieces. Will have to go back and zoom in to see individuals. Had to jump away when he began singing. That was awful. So was good old boy pastor joking about their rings being from the dime store. No wonder Susanna is giving you a dirty look. You’re ruining her ceremony. 

Why is it necessary for the groom to pick up the bride at the end of the ceremony and dash down the aisle? Is it some manly man feat of strength? It always looks like they’re in a rush to consummate before the guests leave the sanctuary. 

It also occurred to me when they were giving flowers to their mothers that these three families have intermarried so many times that they’re essentially oneor two mega-families at this point. 

Edited by postscript
  • Upvote 11

4 minutes ago, postscript said:

I watched bits and pieces. Will have to go back and zoom in to see individuals. Had to jump away when he began singing. That was awful. So was good old boy pastor joking about their rings being from the dime store. No wonder Susanna is giving you a dirty look. You’re ruining her ceremony. 

Why is it necessary for the groom to pick up the bride at the end of the ceremony and dash down the aisle? Is it some manly man feat of strength? It always looks like they’re in a rush to consummate before the guests leave the sanctuary. 

Well I guess the only good thing I can see coming out of this marriage is Susanna getting away from that church and pastor. She will move to Iowa and attend Marion Avenue Baptist with Taylor. I haven’t seen the Marion avenue preacher talk that much but I’ve never heard him say mean shit like that. 

Oh and Taylor won $100,000 in Bible bee money. I’m sure he bought her a nice ring. Pastor was probably jealous he never won Bible bee money. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10

I'm kinda new to following this bunch. I hope it's ok to ask this.  So Bontragers marry Helferiches and Bowers.  Do Bowers and Helferiches marry each other?  Is there a scorecard anywhere of who has married whom within this enmeshed group? I  know Chelsy married a Maxwell.  Any other outliers? I think this is yet another rabbit hole I need to go down...Thanks!🙂

Edited by Baba O'Riley
  • Upvote 5

I’d forgotten Taylor was the one with the Bible Bee money. That at least explains the jokes though it doesn’t make them any less mean. That’s a nice nest egg for them to start with. 

I believe the scorecard is 2 Bontragers married 2 Bowers (Carson Bontrager - Carolina Bowers, Joshua Bontrager - Cassidy Bowers) and 3 Bontragers married 3 Helferiches (Alison Bontrager - Jeremiah Helferich, Denver Bontrager - Praise Helferich, Taylor Bontrager - Susanna Helferich). I don’t know if there are any Bowers-Helferich marriages. They’re all listed on fundy Wiki. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

There are no Helferich Bowers marriages and it’s pretty unlikely. Since there’s only one single female Bowers who is 13 and only 2 single male Helferiches. Plus the Helferiches and Bowerses don’t seem to hang out much. They live far apart. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

I understand a couple both wanting to wear wedding bands to show the world they are in fact married. An engagement ring is nice if that is your thing, but I don't see it as essential. Talyor and Sussanah hopefully discussed their financial priorities for their future while courting, and they may have agreed an expensive engagement ring wasn't their priority. Having a good size downpayment on a house so they have a lower monthly mortgage payment sounds like a fantastic idea to me. 

As far as the pastor criticizing the rings, I just want to ask him is that being the face of Christ? 

• Upvote 5

I think because they both seem sort of meek in comparison to their siblings and Taylor’s pretty pronounced speech impediment, I’m just feeling a little more protective of them when it comes to the pastor. If it was one of the cockier brothers without a lesser speech impediment, like Denver, maybe I wouldn’t have gotten so mad. But speech impediments run in that family and Marlin is all about men speaking up and loud about the Bible. It makes me wonder if Taylor is quieter than his brothers because of his speech. I’ve said this before but speech impediments run heavily in my family. My son has one, my father in law has one, and tons of my cousins have them on one side of my family. One cousin in particular is actually pretty quiet in a family full of outgoing personalities. He’s the quietest of all his siblings. And I think it might be due to his speech impediment. It’s too bad the Bontragers didn’t bother getting the kids into speech therapy since they seem to put so much importance on public speaking amongst the males. It just seems to set them up to feel insecure about their speech. 

• Upvote 8

I wasn't paying close attention, but I didn't notice an impediment. What is wrong with Taylor's speech?

24 minutes ago, marmalade said:

I wasn't paying close attention, but I didn't notice an impediment. What is wrong with Taylor's speech?

It’s not exactly a lisp. It’s like they make an SH sound when there shouldn’t be. But it’s a speech impediment more than one Bont boy has. And their impediments sound similar. I’m guessing it’s genetic. Many speech issues are. I know Hudson has it too. I think Mitchell might have a milder one that sounds similar to Taylor and Hudson’s. I just hate that they put so much emphasis on manly public speaking and do nothing to help their children with speech impediments. It’s like Jill pushing her boys to be preachers yet she won’t even put them in one public speaking class! 

• Upvote 11

Do the girls have it as well? I've never heard them speak.

eta That's not quite true. I watched John and Chelsy's wedding. I don't remember anything off about her speech.

Edited by marmalade

36 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Do the girls have it as well? I've never heard them speak.

eta That's not quite true. I watched John and Chelsy's wedding. I don't remember anything off about her speech.

No, the girls have much better speech. Which isn’t surprising. Because from just looking at my family, the speech impediments affect the boys much more than the girls. 

• Upvote 2

Have a look at the instagram @ psalm374photography

Not only do you find Helferich/Bontrager wedding photos, but also Mary Maxwell and Sam Hick

And Yes the bridesmaids' dresses are particularly unflattering!

20230814_090843.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 9

That insta belongs to Sarah(former Maxwell)!  Glad she is able to keep doing these as she is married and finding her joy in life!  

Yeah those dresses are NOT flattering the pregnant, post pregnant or thin ladies.. yikes

• Upvote 10

Sarah was always the best photographer in that family. 

And those dresses are so unflattering they would make anyone look pregnant! Actually I think it makes many of them look like they are 4/5 months pregnant! Ugh. Glad my bridesmaid days are over! 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

The dresses probably look better on the hanger. Unfortunately, they’re a blah color and don’t flatter any body type.

I was trying to reserve judgment on the bridal gown until we got a better view, but I’m not a fan of it, either. So far, from every angle we’ve seen, it looks like a tent with a lace shawl on top. One can only hope the outfits looked better in person. 

• Upvote 3

Here’s another pic of Chelsy. I think it’s hard to tell since these dresses make everyone look pregnant:

9FE9A152-DD29-487B-BDA8-57E00D54A283.jpeg

I will complement Becky for once. That is a very nice mother of the groom dress. She chose well. Jill Rod should take a few pointers and choose a dress like this for Tim’s wedding. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I don't think Chelsy looks pregnant necessarily, I think this dress is not kind and hits the waist at an odd place.. and anyone with any sort of a thickening of the waist or mummy tummy is victimized

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

9 hours ago, NoseyNellie said:

That insta belongs to Sarah(former Maxwell)!  Glad she is able to keep doing these as she is married and finding her joy in life!  

Yeah those dresses are NOT flattering the pregnant, post pregnant or thin ladies.. yikes

The dresses look better in black and white!

And I hope the headshot on Sarah's photography Insta drives Steve Maxwell crazy. Fun! Pants!

image.png.7e12de1c1285fb9e6fdd5c7023e82132.png

• Upvote 9

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic