IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 16

Coconut Flan

18 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

@Jackie3 Heads Together wasn‘t originally Harry‘s idea though. I‘ll let you guess who came up with it. 😉

That's fine. Who cares whose idea it was? Helping people is what matters.

13 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Kind of like putting a video of your child in the bathtub in a Netflix documentary? 

It's great they are protecting them now! Though it seems the tabloids are really hungry for a picture. 

The thing is, new parents make mistakes. Lots. Most of them won‘t scar their kid for life but if you‘re famous and put something in a Netflix documentary (I also haven‘t seen it but you guys keep mentioning the bathtub video), it will never go away. I do feel for the Sussexes here because they may have realized their mistake by now and can‘t undo it.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

The thing is, new parents make mistakes. Lots. Most of them won‘t scar their kid for life but if you‘re famous and put something in a Netflix documentary (I also haven‘t seen it but you guys keep mentioning the bathtub video), it will never go away. I do feel for the Sussexes here because they may have realized their mistake by now and can‘t undo it.

They weren’t exactly new parents when they produced that docuseries and they chose the home videos to share. Plus they’ve repeatedly claimed that one reason for leaving the UK was to protect their children’s privacy. 

We’ve never seen bathtime video of any other royal children. 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, VGL said:

Archewell is not hosting the summit.  H&M are participating in a panel.

I'm not sure why this matters. Is your point to minimize their contribution in some way? 

Isn't the point to spread awareness about mental health issues and reduce stigma? 

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

They weren’t exactly new parents when they produced that docuseries and they chose the home videos to share. Plus they’ve repeatedly claimed that one reason for leaving the UK was to protect their children’s privacy. 

We’ve never seen bathtime video of any other royal children. 

I'd not defending or supporting them. I wouldn't put a clip of my baby in the bathtub on TV.

With that said, I certainly considered myself a new parent when my oldest was 3.  A beginner, for sure. I had so much to learn. Who knows it all when their oldest is three? You are giving Harry and Meghan too much credit--they had a lot to learn, like everyone else.

Meghan and Harry are not royals any longer, so I'm not sure why you are comparing them to the royal family.

If you must compare theme with royals, though, I think you'll lose. Queen E left her son and daughter for six months, when they were 5 and 2 (and many times after that).  The Palace insisted Harry and Wills walk behind the coffin for PR reasons, though the Spencer relatives were appalled. And in the current generation, the Wales kids are used for propaganda all the time. Most recently, Wills sat Charlotte right down next to him, while he told people that he wasn't going to the World Cup.  These things are way worse than a 3 second clip on TV.

JMO but I doubt anything was put on the Netflix series by mistake. It was all planned and scripted and edited and professionals were involved. Doesn't mean everything was a good idea, necessarily. But it was all deliberate, and none of it was accidental.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that the bathtub video ended up in the documentary as an accident. Rather, they might regret it now instead. 

• Upvote 1

Fergie did a magazine article (probably Hello!) that included a photo of her bathing one of her babies. This was before her separation and she was annoyed by the criticism she got from the palace officials.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, viii said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that the bathtub video ended up in the documentary as an accident. Rather, they might regret it now instead. 

Maybe they regret it, maybe they don't. Everyone's standards are different, and few people are 100% consistent.  

I realize, though, that no one is concerned about little Archie. It's just an opportunity to criticize someone you dislike.

When I look at that clip, I see the beauty and joy of new parents loving on a healthy, happy baby.  But everyone sees different things.

I get far more concerned about the 8 year olds twerking on Dance Moms.

Harry and Meghan have been protecting their kids quite well, this may have been one lapse. I'm just happy they aren't trotted out like the Wales children, whenever their parents need to deflect from something negative.

From People Magazine

Meghan and Harry received a standing ovation when their panel came to a close. They shared hugs with Carson Daly and the Surgeon General before quietly exiting the stage.

A standing ovation! Sounds like the panel went well. Hopefully it will bring awareness to this issue. H&M were obviously very well-received.

According to Daily Mail, this is H&M on a luxury holiday. I will have to take their word for it because, well, could be anyone lol. Wondering if they often run about without any visible security people?

kuva.thumb.png.e3b1e2e2063e00844c4b3fcb82d2fac5.png

• Upvote 2

On 10/16/2023 at 2:22 PM, AmazonGrace said:

According to Daily Mail, this is H&M on a luxury holiday. I will have to take their word for it because, well, could be anyone lol. Wondering if they often run about without any visible security people?

They were photographed landing in Atlanta via private jet from that area later in the week, so I think it was them. 

It's nice that they are able to spend so much time at home with their kids, not traveling all the time like Harry hated his parents for doing when he was a child. 

• Haha 9

22 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

It's nice that they are able to spend so much time at home with their kids, not traveling all the time like Harry hated his parents for doing when he was a child. 

That's sarcasm right?  I don't want to laugh at that line inappropriately.  

• Upvote 1

I’m on the fence. On one hand, they’ve spent a lot of time away from the kids this year (just what we officially know), but on the other hand, parents should be able to take space from their children without shame and judgement. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

There's space and then there's this.  Constantly being gone from your children after bitching incessantly about how bad your father was at not spending enough time and loving you right is absolutely snark-worthy.  Actual parenting is hard work and involves a decent amount of self-sacrifice and just tons of time.  But it's hard to actually parent between nannies and holidays and work trips.  I will snark guilt free over here.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

I’d be curious if anyone can actually count the days in 2023 that they’ve spent apart from their children. It might be a smaller amount than what we think. Things like Harry going to the coronation… I believe he was actually only really gone from his kids for 1 day, but it felt like longer with the amount of media attention and time zone changes. 

• Upvote 2

I don’t think they have spent that much time away from their children in comparison to other celebrities.
BUT I do think that a big part of parenting involves being there for the boring everyday. Quality doesn’t always trump quantity. That’s like saying the „fun every second weekend“ parent is doing a more important job. Can children grow up completely fine with parents that travel a lot? Of course! But if I had those resources I would definitely spend less time working and more time with just living the ordinary every day with my family. And I would most definitely use the crazy high carbon footprint to travel WITH my children. Nothing against time for my spouse. But I would argue most stable relationships can deal with the couple of years where it’s more about being parents than lovers. You wonder how normal people deal? And it’s not as if they get more divorces.
And how much time do you need away from your children? (Especially if you do actually work as well? I mean they do work without having them on their laps right???) Even at 4 the time they can spend without you is so much bigger then before. Getting picked to a play date by the patents of the other children, spending the night/a weekend at grandparents….. I mean normal people just go for dinner, spa or to the cinema and not kill our environment in a massive way to hang out in a luxury resort. But hey……. not judging couples that need all of this to keep their relationship alive 😉

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 6

Harry and Meghan are damned either way, though. If they spend time away from their children they’re criticized. If they brought their children along - they would be criticized for dragging a 4 and 2 year old all over the world. 

• Upvote 1

I'd argue there's another option.  They don't need to do all the things.  They are very much choosing a lifestyle of travel and publicity.  They were both independently wealthy enough that they don't need to do that.  They could live a quiet life, settled down somewhere.  If they don't want to, that's fine.  But it is a choice they make.  

It's not a choice I would make with very small children at home.  And their enormous carbon footprint isn't one I'd have either, if I was in their shoes and actually gave a crap about the environment.  They got out of the BRF so they don't have the excuse of "we have to because xyz" - at this point it's just them and their choices.  

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Are they that wealthy though? I’m not convinced they’re not living beyond their means. I’m not saying they’re poor, but their lifestyle requires a certain amount of money to maintain. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

@vii, I actually don’t think they are all that well off anymore. I think they were, but I think they made some choices that affected that. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

They could live much cheaper somewhere else and still be ultra privileged and plush. They could stop giving vast amounts of money to high powered law firms because of lawsuits  and big names publicity agencies  that don’t seem to listen to for shit anyway. They choose not too.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I thought during the Oprah interview that they really weren't as wealthy as they were trying to appear.   I mean, she was very pregnant with what was publicly announced to be their last child, and she spent $6k for a maternity dress.  Numbers add up fast, I found that out the hard way.

• Upvote 2

Harry never had to think about money much less learn how to spend wisely or put off getting wanted when he wanted it or to save for a rainy day. Why Meghan has not got better sense is up for debate. 

• Upvote 3

Meghan definitely loves the pricey clothes.  She seems to associate high price with looking good.  I could probably have easily found two dozen dresses that would have looked better on Meghan for that intervview and not a one would have cost more than $1000.  I appreciated that Kate had a maternity dress that was the same as one of my daughter's dresses.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic