IGNORED

Pat Robertson Has Died

47of74

Well, ol Patty boy has gone on to the hearafter;

Pat Robertson, a religious broadcaster who turned a tiny Virginia station into the global Christian Broadcasting Network, tried a run for president and helped make religion central to Republican Party politics in America through his Christian Coalition, has died. He was 93.

Robertson’s death Thursday was confirmed in an email by his broadcasting network. No cause was given.

Robertson’s enterprises also included Regent University, an evangelical Christian school in Virginia Beach; the American Center for Law and Justice, which defends the First Amendment rights of religious people; and Operation Blessing, an international humanitarian organization.

For more than a half-century, Robertson was a familiar presence in American living rooms, known for his “700 Club” television show, and in later years, his televised pronouncements of God’s judgment, blaming natural disasters on everything from homosexuality to the teaching of evolution.

He's done so much to harm the country and world so I think you all can guess how many fornicates I give about him.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 12
  • Thank You 3

Finally. I’m not a believer, however in his case I hope he is swimming in the pits of hell right now 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

Someone I know who attended Regent University texted me the news about an hour ago; I would have posted it but wasn't sure what section to put it in! Misogyny? Hate? Politics? Snark? So many choices, all equally valid. 😕 

Pat Robertson has been part of the fabric of southeastern Virginia life for as long as I can remember. I moved here in 1967 and he was already on the airwaves, a local UHF station in those days. The mother of a close friend of mine would go to the station frequently and work the phone lines. I have memories of going to my friend's house in the mornings during summer vacation and Brother Pat was always on channel 27 (or Jim and Tammy Bakker, as they were based out of the same station in those early days). I drive past CNN headquarters all the time when running errands, and the cupola of the main building of Regent University is a landmark as you drive past on Interstate 64.

It's going to be interesting to see how long CBN and its affiliated businesses/ministries will last now that Pat is gone. Of course, the 700 Club is still on these days, and the fleet of Operation Blessing vans are more often than not out on the road at a disaster somewhere instead of sitting in the parking lot near the huge satellite dishes behind the broadcast building, but now that Pat is gone I just wonder how long the powers that be there will keep things going. Pat was old and frail, but he still made appearances on the show, and he wielded great influence from behind the scenes even though some of his on-air utterances were pretty cringe-worthy. The mere fact he was ALLOWED on the air in his waning years spoke volumes about his influence. 

I want to say, as I usually do for famous-people deaths and everyone else's, usually, 'Rest in peace.' But in his case...well, best I just not say anything. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

Whether he's in heaven or hell, I hope that he is big mad over who else is there with him.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 1

Just now, hoipolloi said:

Whether he's in heaven or hell, I hope that he is big mad over who else is there with him.

Yeah, I'm not a big believer in 'speaking ill of the dead,' but I do imagine that wherever he is, he's quite surprised at who's there with him! 😆

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

When I die, I hope people think the world is worse off due to the loss. 

My personal feeling is that Pat Robertson’s death is likely the opposite. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 10

38 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Someone I know who attended Regent University texted me the news about an hour ago; I would have posted it but wasn't sure what section to put it in! Misogyny? Hate? Politics? Snark? So many choices, all equally valid. 😕 

Pat Robertson has been part of the fabric of southeastern Virginia life for as long as I can remember. I moved here in 1967 and he was already on the airwaves, a local UHF station in those days. The mother of a close friend of mine would go to the station frequently and work the phone lines. I have memories of going to my friend's house in the mornings during summer vacation and Brother Pat was always on channel 27 (or Jim and Tammy Bakker, as they were based out of the same station in those early days). I drive past CNN headquarters all the time when running errands, and the cupola of the main building of Regent University is a landmark as you drive past on Interstate 64.

It's going to be interesting to see how long CBN and its affiliated businesses/ministries will last now that Pat is gone. Of course, the 700 Club is still on these days, and the fleet of Operation Blessing vans are more often than not out on the road at a disaster somewhere instead of sitting in the parking lot near the huge satellite dishes behind the broadcast building, but now that Pat is gone I just wonder how long the powers that be there will keep things going. Pat was old and frail, but he still made appearances on the show, and he wielded great influence from behind the scenes even though some of his on-air utterances were pretty cringe-worthy. The mere fact he was ALLOWED on the air in his waning years spoke volumes about his influence. 

I want to say, as I usually do for famous-people deaths and everyone else's, usually, 'Rest in peace.' But in his case...well, best I just not say anything. 

I was on my work computer and if one opens another edge tab it defaults to the msn homepage.  They had the news on there so that’s where I learned it from  

As for how long his empire can last, who can say?   His buddy Jerry Falwell died in 2007 but his operations are still going  ever though Junior got in some trouble  

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 6

19 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I was on my work computer and if one opens another edge tab it defaults to the msn homepage.  They had the news on there so that’s where I learned it from  

As for how long his empire can last, who can say?   His buddy Jerry Falwell died in 2007 but his operations are still going  ever though Junior got in some trouble  

I would imagine that, as a lawyer, Pat had his business affairs all tied up with a neat red bow for years. Who would inherit what, who would follow him (well, he'd already stepped down from day to day stuff years ago, so that part's already in place), what direction each aspect would head into as time went on. As long as his son and others involved don't suddenly do really, really stupid things, I guess his empire will go on for years.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

It’s nice to read someone famous died and not feel sadness.  The past few celebrity deaths I found out from Dolly Partons social media and even the ones I didn’t know, I was sad because Dolly was sad.   I didn’t even know Pat was still alive, I assumed he died years ago.  Like others said wherever he is, I’m sure he’s shocked by who he’s meeting.  If he’s in Heaven, I hope he’s getting a long lecture in duet performed by Jesus and Leslie Jordon.

if he’s elsewhere I hope he’s making beds up for friends he realizes now he led astray.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Ol' Pat crossing the rainbow bridge -- he's in for a big surprise! 

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, KWLand said:

It’s nice to read someone famous died and not feel sadness.  The past few celebrity deaths I found out from Dolly Partons social media and even the ones I didn’t know, I was sad because Dolly was sad.   I didn’t even know Pat was still alive, I assumed he died years ago.  Like others said wherever he is, I’m sure he’s shocked by who he’s meeting.  If he’s in Heaven, I hope he’s getting a long lecture in duet performed by Jesus and Leslie Jordon.

if he’s elsewhere I hope he’s making beds up for friends he realizes now he led astray.  

I read this to my roommate who responded with, “that sounds ideal!”

• Upvote 4

352656302_961414241860212_2004634400394379069_n.jpg.a8977f2666834aa1c867cd50506aff7c.jpg

I do love that it was during Pride month. Then again, the only thing I can say is that he's dead. Good.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 10
  • Love 6

Me channeling my inner Bette Davis:

"You should never say bad things about the dead, only good… Pat Robertson is dead. Good.”

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

A journalist, who was kicked out of her high school for being gay, stated this:

And while right-wing-nut-jobs will cite posts like this to fuel their outrage (while pretending they're respectful when a progressive passes away)... Pat Robertson caused so much damage to so many people in his lifetime, I understand why a lot of people are thinking: fuck politeness* and fuck Pat Robertson.

*Hello to any murderinos who catch this reference! :) 

• Upvote 10

Yeah, I have no fucks left to give about speaking ill of dead monsters. They’re monsters. To hell with them (literally, although I’ll admit I don’t believe in hell).

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

How fitting  he died during Pride month! Good work God! 

And it’s an early birthday present for me too since mine is tomorrow. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

When I read my news updates this morning, his death was the first one I saw. I said I wonder how hot it is down there. The man spoke evil and fomented evil. He was made rich on the backs of others. 

• Upvote 8

I don’t usually have much to say about the physical appearance of the fundies we follow, and sometimes I cringe a little when I read particularly harsh critiques, but with Robertson, I have to say something. He’s not actually bad-looking, but there is something eminently smackable about his face. If there were an afterlife, Satan would be smacking him around right now. (Actually, he might be tag teaming with God. The two of them might agree on this one point.)

• Upvote 9

I have ZERO qualms about "speaking ill of the dead". If you were evil in life I am going to rejoice in your death, and I won't pretend you were some good person. I'm glad he's no longer on earth and I hope he's miserable wherever he is, though I don't believe in the afterlife. How nice of him to die during Pride month! 🌈

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don’t usually have much to say about the physical appearance of the fundies we follow, and sometimes I cringe a little when I read particularly harsh critiques, but with Robertson, I have to say something. He’s not actually bad-looking, but there is something eminently smackable about his face. If there were an afterlife, Satan would be smacking him around right now. (Actually, he might be tag teaming with God. The two of them might agree on this one point.)

Smugness. His face was never without smugness. Ever. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

I wept, but then I soldiered on.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3