IGNORED

Pat Robertson Has Died

47of74

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don’t usually have much to say about the physical appearance of the fundies we follow, and sometimes I cringe a little when I read particularly harsh critiques, but with Robertson, I have to say something. He’s not actually bad-looking, but there is something eminently smackable about his face. If there were an afterlife, Satan would be smacking him around right now. (Actually, he might be tag teaming with God. The two of them might agree on this one point.)

The Germans have a word for it.  Backpfeifengesicht.  There's no direct translation to English but the closest is face in need of a punch.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

June 8 2023 a great day.  Pat Robertson dropped dead and Mango Mussolini indicted for a 2nd time.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

This article from LGBTQ nation said yes, it’s ok to be happy Pat went to his final whatever. 

And it’s OK to celebrate. 

While the damage he did to other people’s lives, and the deaths he was indirectly responsible for, are easy to show, there will of course be people who will wag their fingers at LGBTQ+ people for expressing anything other than sadness or silence upon his death. He was allowed to celebrate the deaths of queer people as just God weeding his garden, but how dare anyone celebrate his death, the pearl-clutchers will scold, as they do every time a notorious and powerful person dies.

But don’t listen to them. It’s perfectly valid to feel relief when a bad person dies.

“It’s not uncommon to feel relieved rather than saddened over the death of someone that caused you misery,” grief counselor Dr. Alejandra Vasquez writes on her blog. “Don’t guilt yourself into feeling sad or any other emotions that aren’t real and authentic. Simply wanting relief from the stress that someone causes you doesn’t mean that you wished death upon them or don’t respect human life. If their death was the only way to stop their behavior, then it’s natural for you to feel relieved that they died.”

• Upvote 11

Some brought up that the best way to talk about someone (good and bad) is to mention things they've actually done. Here's what Pat Robertson said about the devastating earthquake that hit Haiti in 2010. I'm using this article as a source.

Pat Robertson, the evangelical Christian who once suggested God was punishing Americans with Hurricane Katrina, says a "pact to the devil" brought on the devastating earthquake in Haiti.

Notice this article mentions not only Haiti, but Hurricane Katrina.

Officials fear more than 100,000 people have died as a result of Tuesday's 7.0-magnitude earthquake in Haiti.

That's lot of people. It's really tragic and terrible. 

Robertson, the host of the "700 Club," blamed the tragedy on something that "happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it."

Yes, during a disaster it's good to focus on what is currently happening.

The Haitians "were under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon III and whatever," Robertson said on his broadcast Wednesday. "And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so, the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal.' "

No I don't know Napoleon III. But I do know that it seems fair that they wanted to be from the French, who were colonizing their country.

Native Haitians defeated French colonists in 1804 and declared independence.

1804? That would Napoleon Bonaparte or Napoleon I. Napoleon III wasn't born yet.

Anyway the point is that Pat Robertson said bad things to hurt a lot of people including people who were already suffering. 

This is just one example. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

Someone commented on another site, “turns out all that smoke on the east coast was just the gates of hell opening up to receive Pat Robertson. “

Seems like everyone who isn’t fundie has a pretty clear idea of where he’d end up. 
Note that I do not believe in a hereafter myself but I believe there is one for people who do believe. But it’s probably just hell. And maybe Summerland. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11

59 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Someone commented on another site, “turns out all that smoke on the east coast was just the gates of hell opening up to receive Pat Robertson. “

Seems like everyone who isn’t fundie has a pretty clear idea of where he’d end up. 
Note that I do not believe in a hereafter myself but I believe there is one for people who do believe. But it’s probably just hell. And maybe Summerland. 

I prefer not to comment too much on anyone's ultimate destination, but at the same time for someone like Robertson I don't think the hearafter is going to be the kind of hearafter he imagined.

• Upvote 9

On 6/8/2023 at 4:50 PM, 47of74 said:

The Germans have a word for it.  Backpfeifengesicht.  There's no direct translation to English but the closest is face in need of a punch.

You beat me to it! I learned that word a few years ago from a news article about Ted Cruz. 

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, throwaway9988 said:

You beat me to it! I learned that word a few years ago from a news article about Ted Cruz. 

And I learned it from an article about Pharma Bro Martin Shkreli but I have since used it to describe Elon Musk

23 hours ago, SPHASH said:

June 8 2023 a great day.  Pat Robertson dropped dead and Mango Mussolini indicted for a 2nd time.

Trifecta. James Watt, Reagan’s interior secretary, who did everything in his power to destroy the planet before the rapture, died also. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

And I learned it from an article about Pharma Bro Martin Shkreli but I have since used it to describe Elon Musk

Trifecta. James Watt, Reagan’s interior secretary, who did everything in his power to destroy the planet before the rapture, died also. 

My feline niece TK is going to probably cross over the rainbow bridge tomorrow but all this and my birthday takes some of the weight off my loss.  Plus TK would probably bite all these SOBs for me and say thanks for bringing them by for me to attack.

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 13

This article in The Nation asked exactly who Robertson worshiped

There was hardly any right-wing despot or death squad he didn’t like. In the 1980s, Robertson even had an Afrikaans version of The 700 Club, broadcast out of Bophuthatswana, to bolster the morale of apartheid hard-liners. He raised money for the Contras in Nicaragua and the Resistência Nacional Moçambicana (the Mozambican National Resistance, or Renamo), a militia set up by the white supremist government of Rhodesia to stir up civil war in Mozambique. As University of Buffalo historian Gene Zubovich noted, Renamo “caused 100,000 deaths and at least 1 million refugees” and was “likened to the Khmer Rouge” by the US State Department.

After Robertson’s death was announced, he was lauded by AIPAC, which tweeted: “AIPAC mourns the passing of Pat Robertson, who was a great friend of Israel and a pioneer in the modern Christian Zionist movement.” Robertson was indeed a “friend of Israel” in the special sense that he was aligned with right-wing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but Robertson was no friend to Jews at large. As Michael Lind documented in a 1995 article for The New York Review of Books, Robertson’s writings were rife with barely concealed anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.

Other Christians, including many who survived Ríos Montt’s Guatemala, might say that Robertson worshipped not the God of the Gospels but also the God of patriarchal domination over women, the God of homophobic bullies, the God of the death squads, the God of apartheid, and the God of slave-owners.

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 9

How refreshing that Jimmy Carter, who makes Christianity look like a good thing (and I'm not Christian or even religious), has outlived someone as vile as PR. Jimmy is due an awesome reward after death if there is such a thing. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

How refreshing that Jimmy Carter, who makes Christianity look like a good thing (and I'm not Christian or even religious), has outlived someone as vile as PR. Jimmy is due an awesome reward after death if there is such a thing. 

True.  Also that President Biden - who is also religious - has outlived PR.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I recall how he used to point out that natural disasters affecting the USA west, midwest and northeast were all results of divine punishment.  And then:  Something bad happened in the southeast. Real bad. Bible-belt southeast. Not. A. Peep. From. Pat. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

So this week we have (death-wise):  Robert Hanssen, Pat Robertson, Ted Kaczynski, and James Watt.

Did a new development open up somewhere?

Also, did I miss any? 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Dandruff said:

So this week we have (death-wise):  Robert Hanssen, Pat Robertson, Ted Kaczynski, and James Watt.

Has there been a volcanic eruption lately? According to Bro Gary Hawkins, volcanoes are the devil's way of making more room in Hell for all of the sinners.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Has there been a volcanic eruption lately? According to Bro Gary Hawkins, volcanoes are the devil's way of making more room in Hell for all of the sinners.

You may be on to something there.  Mount Etna in Sicily was particularly active last month (but then again there's always some level of activity there).  Over in Hawaii the Kilauea volcano erupted last week. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Also, did I miss any? 

I’m so happy about Ted Kaczynski. He killed someone from my town. The victim’s daughter was a year under me in school.  The name of my small town in northern New Jersey was published in many newspapers & magazines. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1

On 6/8/2023 at 8:17 AM, hoipolloi said:

Whether he's in heaven or hell, I hope that he is big mad over who else is there with him.

Found this on FB, attributed only to the OP's friend "K":

This poem was written by my dear friend K on the occasion of Pat Robertson's death. It's as profoundly theological as anything my clergy colleagues have shared, and certainly more theologically robust than anything I could say about it. I'm posting because I'm going to want to remember this poem for years to come. Maybe you will, too:

Ruminations on the death of Pat Robertson

I don’t like to think
About Pat Robertson going to hell.
That lets him off too easy.
I like to think about
Pat Robertson finding himself
In a heaven he never believed
Would exist.

Where Divine is reading in drag
To the children murdered at
Sandy Hook and Ulvalde.

While Edie Windsor
And Gertrude Stein drink coffee
In the breakfast nook
talking politics with Harvey Milk.

Where Matthew Shepard relaxes by
A stream, reading poetry to
A nameless young man whose family
Never claimed his body
when he died
Of AIDS.

Where the music plays loudly
Welcoming dancers from the Pulse
And Club Q to the floor where they
Twirl and vogue with
All the murdered trans women of color
Whose names we never knew.

Where Jesus puts his arm around
Pat Robertson’s shoulders and
Drapes them with a rainbow feather boa.
And, gesturing around him says
Come, meet my disciples.

I realize that for Pat Robertson this would indeed be hell.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 9

How did I miss Pat dying? I haven't even been that busy. Wasn't he the one that said Haiti has so many earthquakes because they practiced voodoo?🤔

• Upvote 5

I don’t have dyslexia but I do switch letters sometimes. So seeing Pat Robertson has died sometimes looks like Robert Pattinson has died to my weird brain. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/10/2023 at 2:55 PM, MamaJunebug said:

I recall how he used to point out that natural disasters affecting the USA west, midwest and northeast were all results of divine punishment.  And then:  Something bad happened in the southeast. Real bad. Bible-belt southeast. Not. A. Peep. From. Pat. 

I think he's the one who said that Hurricane Katrina was God punishing the homosexuals in New Orleans. But if that were the case why did God spare the Garden District and the French Quarter and nail the 9th Ward, which was probably 90% Baptists?

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2

On 6/19/2023 at 3:30 PM, Black Aliss said:

I think he's the one who said that Hurricane Katrina was God punishing the homosexuals in New Orleans. 

I remember him saying this & was disgusted by it. 

• Upvote 2