IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

2 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

What did he think?  That everybody was still all up in the air over "Daddy cut me OFF!!!"?

Or more “there was three in the marriage”.   I have to admit, I am also a little surprised by the warm welcome Charles received overall. I know a lot of people will never like him or Camilla for something that happened 30 years ago but I did expect more snide comments than what he’s received. Or at least from what I’ve seen. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

The DC for the Queen generally conforms to Scottish law. Anne was there & provided the official notification which is standard.

Itʻs interesting though that official guidance to medical personnel who fill out the form says the following about listing "old age" as cause of death:

1258703501_OldAge.thumb.png.459aea36e85cb7b802e84ab95122c0b3.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 14

Interesting timeline - the Queen died at 3:10, Harry’s flight left for Scotland at 5:35, I wonder why no one told him she’d already died so he didn’t have to make the trip. He left very early the next morning so I don’t think he would have gone if he’d known that she’d died over 2 hours before his plane even left. Very odd.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, viii said:

I'm also not surprised they listed old age to give her dignity. From my understand, old age is not a common cause of death in the UK and they're usually a lot more specific. However, for Philip and Elizabeth both, they were granted old age as COD.

It's not a common cause of death, but it's the one my grandma had on her death certificate. As the doctor said "sometimes people are just old."

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, sndral said:

Interesting timeline - the Queen died at 3:10, Harry’s flight left for Scotland at 5:35, I wonder why no one told him she’d already died so he didn’t have to make the trip. He left very early the next morning so I don’t think he would have gone if he’d known that she’d died over 2 hours before his plane even left. Very odd.

Maybe they did tell him and he wanted to go anyway,  to say a private goodbye before the pomp and ceremony took over and she stopped being "granny" and became "the late Most High, Most Mighty, and Most Excellent Monarch, Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, and Sovereign of the Most Noble Order of the Garter."

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

18 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

The DC for the Queen generally conforms to Scottish law. Anne was there & provided the official notification which is standard.

Itʻs interesting though that official guidance to medical personnel who fill out the form says the following about listing "old age" as cause of death:

1258703501_OldAge.thumb.png.459aea36e85cb7b802e84ab95122c0b3.png

Following those guidelines I'm not sure old age should have been listed. If she was standing two days earlier in a photo and apparently unwell enough to call in family less than 48 hours later then I'd expect something like a fall or stroke to be listed as at least a cause. My grandmother also died of "old age", but it was a more gradual process with no one obvious cause that triggered it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 2

She'd been slowly fading for months.  Compare February/March photos with August/September.  She was quite plainly getting thinner and more bent over those months.  She was exceedingly fragile looking with the prime minister.  I'm not surprised at all.  Reports are she was eating less and less and that's a primary clue the body is starting to shut down.

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

Yeah in the days following her death it struck me just how frail she looked towards the end in those photos of her meeting the new PM.

Stray thought just occurred to me too regarding my paternal grandpa's mother who died in December 1959.  She had been somewhat heavier set most of her adulthood based on the photos I saw of great-grandma.  But then there were photos of her in the summer of 1959 where she looked very thin and frail so I think she must've been slowly declining by then.

• Love 5

On 9/26/2022 at 9:37 PM, viii said:

Yeah, they’re definitely young but not innocent about their status in life. In the funeral videos, Charlotte is seen reminding George when to bow. They know their place in life and why wouldn’t they? They’re incredibly privileged. I’m sure they have fellow rich friends but I doubt their classmates are taking helicopter rides every weekend to their third home. 

I'd think the constant cameras would have tipped them off, long ago. Poor kids always look so overwhelmed by the cameras and crowds, all trying to get their attention.

Plus the bodyguards in the classroom, or just outside. The way they can't do things that other children do--like go to birthday parties at homes where security can't be guaranteed.  I'll bet George would love to ride his bike with a crowd of mates to a corner store, but that sort of thing is impossible. He must hear about his classmates' escapades, however. 

The way his bodyguard has to accompany him to the bathroom at school. The way all invitations must be cleared through the Palace. The way his teacher curtsies to his mom and dad, and agrees with everything they ask for. The whispers of his new classmates ("That's him!"). The way his classmates aren't allowed phones in class, because one might take a random picture of him. 

Yes, the kids know.

• Upvote 2
  • Move Along 3

On 9/29/2022 at 8:34 PM, viii said:

Or more “there was three in the marriage”.   I have to admit, I am also a little surprised by the warm welcome Charles received overall. I know a lot of people will never like him or Camilla for something that happened 30 years ago but I did expect more snide comments than what he’s received. Or at least from what I’ve seen. 

It's not like he did it once, 30 years ago. He did it many many times, over a period of years. Causing a young woman a great deal of pain and anxiety, and leading to a disruptive divorce. So, no, it wasn't a one-night stand. Plus, he's hardly been a model of virtue since then.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 5

4 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

The way his classmates aren't allowed phones in class, because one might take a random picture of him. 

Are phones usually allowed in class in the UK? Because here they need to stay in their owner‘s bag and be on mute. If I catch a pupil with their phone I can take it and return it to their parents when they come in. I usually don‘t do that.

First time, they get it back at the end of the lesson with a warning. Second time, they get it back at the end of their school day and I‘ll write to the parents. The thing is, I have to ensure those kids don‘t cause harm to themselves or others (with inappropriate online content for example) by law. They also wouldn‘t be allowed to take anyone‘s picture without (parental) consent - prince or not. 

• Upvote 7

I’m in Canada and my kids attend a public elementary school.  There is a complete cell phone ban on the school premises and buses.  I’m ok with that.  

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Are phones usually allowed in class in the UK?

I left school before mobile phones were a thing, so I've just checked the behaviour policies of my old school, the school the Wales children will be going to (Lambrook), and my goddaughter's school. Mobile phones are banned from the classroom, lunch and play areas at all of them. I assume it is similar for any other school.

Phones are allowed under certain circumstances, however.

Lambrook and my goddaughter's school allow phones which are not internet enabled for children who use the school buses, which must be taken to reception on arrival and left there during the day.

The school I used to go to allows sixth form students (16-18 year olds) to use mobile phones in the sixth form common room only. Any phones seen by teachers outside of the common room will be confiscated by teachers and can only be collected by the pupil's parent at the end of the school day.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

On 9/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, SoSoNosy said:

My mother-in-law took almost all day to die.  She would take a breath every few minutes, until she finally just didn't take the next one.  That could have been part of how the Queen passed away.  

This is how it was for my mother as well. 😢 Unfortunately, they couldn't put 'old age' as a reason for death even though she was 86, because it was the cancer that was to blame more than anything else. 

On 9/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

That was one of my favorite pictures. She just looked like a happy granny with her grand and great-grand kids. And Mia was adorable. She looks so proud to hold the purse.

image.png.92e8283b3e0479bd5afdaa7cf9e33417.png

The four little ones in front? At the time that photo was taken? That's what I meant when I said I love seeing the royal children when they're still 'innocent.' The video of the Queen with little Beatrice (or was it Eugenie? I forget) on a pony with her little red boots--that was innocence. No clue of who her granny really is.

Of course George and Charlotte are fully aware now of their status in life. Whether they fully understand what all that entails is up for debate, but yes, they know their father will one day be king, and so will George. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Please remember this is the Queen/Philip thread not Charles or the Waleses.  Thank you!

• Thank You 1

They included “bipolar” on my grandma’s. Like, fuck off dudes. Her ex husband institutionalized her and she had electroshock therapy and insulin therapy and her life was really hard before lithium happened for her. But her death in her late 70’s (she smoked for decades, emphysema, frequent pneumonia) had nothing to do with her bipolar. How rude, to quote Stephanie Tanner. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

Totally off topic but does anyone else feel like a stalker seeing who is currently reading this thread and even who is typing at the moment? (new feature)

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Totally off topic but does anyone else feel like a stalker seeing who is currently reading this thread and even who is typing at the moment? (new feature)

YES. Not a fan.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Not really. I used to admin a forum that would tell you at the top of a thread who all was on that thread, so I'm kind of used to it. I haven't really paid much attention to it here yet, although I did see @thoughtful was typing away on a thread somewhere, a Rod thread, I think. 😆

Jealous of all those whose schools don't allow phones or as a teacher you have the right to take them away. They are a nightmare here where I teach, USA, 13/14 yr olds.

The Queen did look more fragile in more recent years. She was 96 and and seemingly in good health until the last year. I could be happy with a good run like that.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

The Queen did look more fragile in more recent years. She was 96 and and seemingly in good health until the last year. I could be happy with a good run like that.

My maternal grandma was in good health up until March, 2003.  She died at the age of 91 in early July of that year.  At Christmas the year before I just noticed how grey her hair looked and she had a look on her face and I knew then that it might be the last Christmas.  (I later found out after she passed that her hair had been grey for years and she had been using hair coloring for a number of years.  I think she just got tired of doing that by then). 

Otherwise even up until March she didn't seem more fragile than she had before.  Her hearing wasn't what it was but that was nothing new and she had slowed down physically but that wasn't anything new either.  When my cousin told her she was getting married in September 2003, Grandma was a bit upset because she knew she wouldn't be around for the wedding and told my cousin that.  This was before anyone in the family knew Grandma's health was starting to decline.

• Love 4

7 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Jealous of all those whose schools don't allow phones or as a teacher you have the right to take them away. They are a nightmare here where I teach, USA, 13/14 yr olds.

One of the districts I sub in is very strict.  For middle and high school, they can have them out at lunch or passing periods. There is one minute warning bell before the late bell during passing periods. Once the warning bell rings, phones go in a hanging holder at the front of the classroom (like the ones math teachers use for calculators. If they have them out after that, they are confiscated and taken to the administration office. Two offenses means they are required to give the phone to the office at the beginning of each day and pick it up at the end for the next nine weeks. No phones allowed at all in K-5. 

In the other district, they are all allowed to have them whenever they want and do whatever they want. You get kindergartners bringing you a phone and asking you to read a text message from their parent. High schoolers pay zero attention in class because they're on social media and texting each other all day. They get plenty of homework time but don't use it because they're on their phones. It's absolutely ridiculous. So bad that some parents are upset and want it changed. Unfortunately, other parents will literally call their kid in the middle of classes and the kids will ask to go in the hall to talk to them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2

Just came across Her Majesty's last Christmas message

Jesus Christ I've got something in my eyes yet again.

And when Her Majesty mentioned Happy Traditions including watching favorite films I wonder if Die Hard and Christmas Vacation were on that list?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Just came across Her Majesty's last Christmas message

Jesus Christ I've got something in my eyes yet again.

And when Her Majesty mentioned Happy Traditions including watching favorite films I wonder if Die Hard and Christmas Vacation were on that list?

This dyed-in-the-wool American Anglophile always loved watching the Queen's speech every Christmas. I'll watch King Charles's speech this year, but it will be so different. :( 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sarah has posted some pictures of the Queen's corgis since they came to stay with her...

Queen Elizabeth II's corgis are in good hands — and we have new photos to prove it!

Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, shared the first photos of Muick and Sandy to honor her own 63rd birthday on Instagram on Saturday (October 15). "The presents that keep giving," Ferguson wrote under an adorable photo of her playing with the pups on the grass. In a separate post, she added more photos of her outing with Muick and Sandy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjuZ2O8oE1K/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link