IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

26 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah the lawyer licensing and bar exam people don’t have a lot of friends these days.  They still act like it’s goddamn 1774 and only white male aristocrats in excellent health are to be admitted.

Do you think they are passing white men and failing women and BIPOC applicants, on purpose? How can they do that, when it's anonymous grading?

Things must have changed. I knew so many women and BIPOC applicants who whizzed through law school and the bar, in the 80s and 90s. Of course, the UBE didn't exist back then. Bar exams were state specific.

2 hours ago, Loveday said:

I follow WKW on Facebook. She's doing a fantastic job of putting everything together, all concise and organised. In normal times, I love to read the comments from followers who ask the most minute questions about what Kate's wearing so they can rush out and buy either the identical item or a good knockoff!😏

And whether it suits them or not, I imagine? Seems a bit sad. 

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

In this case, the cancellations were made by the private sector testing company, Pearson, who unilaterally decided to cancel or close all of their offices, including the testing centers, "out respect for the Queen." So, everyone else is left scrambling.

I hear you.  But in this case, a quick announcement from Charles could have resolved the matter quickly. Something alone these lines:

"To show true respect to my mother, please keep all medical offices, hospitals and physician testing open as normal this week. She would never have wanted her death to interfere with the health of our people or the certification of our young doctors."

Pearson's is not going to go against the King's wishes, it's terrible PR.

Honestly, I think the Palace wants as many crowds/long lines as possible. If people have appointments/tests/meetings, that will not happen.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 2

37 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Yeah, me too. Can you just imagine being in that long queue for HOURS, finally getting inside the Hall, coming round the corner, and seeing the queen's eight grandchildren standing vigil?  I'd have just lost it right there, as I'm sure quite a few of them did. As it was, the Kleenex box next to my sofa came in real handy this afternoon. 😢 

As I’ve said the Queen reminds me so much of my maternal grandma. When she passed in 2003 if we were asked to stand vigil around her casket I’d have been like yeah get the fornicate out of my way so I can stand vigil.  All her other grandkids would’ve had the same attitude too.  Even my paternal grandpa and grandma there would’ve been enough grandkids to stand vigil for both occasions.  I miss the Queen and all my grandparents 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I did not realize one of her grandchildren was so young.

I didn't either, somehow I thought Sophie and Edward's children were a little older. They keep them well out of the spotlight, though, which is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

Yes, James is only 14 and Louise is 18. They are typically grouped in with the great-grands but I am glad they stood with their older cousins, even if they looked so small. What an emotional moment for them. I understood her children doing a vigil but this seemed almost voyeuristic. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

Yeah, me too. Can you just imagine being in that long queue for HOURS, finally getting inside the Hall, coming round the corner, and seeing the queen's eight grandchildren standing vigil?  I'd have just lost it right there, as I'm sure quite a few of them did. As it was, the Kleenex box next to my sofa came in real handy this afternoon. 😢 

It must have been a nice bonus for the people who stood in line to pay respects to the queen’s coffin when they also got to see one of the vigils.  I had originally thought that the vigils would be private — that the public would not be allowed to walk through during the 15 min of each vigil.

Though I can’t imagine standing in such a long line, I am sure the ones who got to see one of the vigils felt especially fortunate.

39 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

There's quite the age span - Peter Phillips is 44, and James, Viscount Severn is 14.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, noseybutt said:

Wait. This is Pearson?  

This may have little to do with the Queen's death as they have a history of exam cancellations and screwups worldwide. It's a seriously mismanaged company and has been for years, yet they continue to get high level contracts the world over for education and licensing exams.

They're total scum, I agree.

They also have a big stake in the academic textbook market which is another fucking scam.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

They also have a big stake in the academic textbook market which is another fucking scam.

Well, they don’t make money unless they hold the exam. So I doubt they are canceling for some conniving reason.

I imagine whether Pearson wanted to admit it or not there's probably significant travel and parking disruptions. And at one point the news was saying people coming to wait in line be prepared that there might not be food, etc in London because so many people. I don't expect England has the capacity to deal with huge movements of people into and out of one small area-even without considering staffing shortages from covid. 

Stinks but major events happen and whether you agree with them or not the fallout can mess up your life.

I also felt the grandchildren 's vigil was kind of voyeuristic. Still watched it...cuz nosey me!...but I felt uncomfortable when the camera was on the youngest ones. Hopefully they felt they wanted to and not pressured. I believe Harry has said negative things about walking behind his mother's casket in that procession.

• Upvote 3

It has been noted in different articles James and Louise were especially close their grandparents because they had more down time to spend with them than they had with the older ones plus The Queen and Sophie were extremely close. They aren’t small children and it would have been hurtful and unfair to not include them in this. 

Plus young James comes from a very close stable family  If he has fears, worries or pressures his parents are about a 100 times more equipped to really help him sort out his feelings than distracted Charles was for Harry. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 11

Oh yeah, I don’t think anyone did the vigil out of pressure, I am sure they all wanted to be a part of it. Edward and Sophie are far more reliable parents than Charles was when his boys were young, and I don’t see them allowing anything that would cause distress to their children. 

Let’s hope Harry doesn’t start complaining about this in a few weeks. He has a really good opportunity right now to shift his public view and I hope he takes advantage of it. 

• Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, viii said:

Does he sabotage himself or does his partner sabotage it, furthering his dependency on her? DUN DUN DUN.  

I vote C. They sabotage themselves together. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

And someday something or someone is going to give and it’s going to be a huge mess… Two damaged vessels can’t stay afloat forever even if they are tied together. Who will go down first is the only question? 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I genuinely mistook him for Price William - for a moment I thought this was a throwback photo when Lady Di died and I had to look again. 

FE70598D-5478-4872-9969-2D2D39E9EADA.jpeg

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

The grandchildren’s vigil was very moving. Sophie and Edward were there watching. I imagine she was there to comfort her children    afterwards and I doubt she would’ve let her son participate if he didn’t want to or she didn’t think he could handle it. There was one time when the camera panned to her and you could see her cry a little. 

I am glad that the grandchildren were able to honor their grandmother as her grandchildren  and not just as their Queen. 

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I imagine whether Pearson wanted to admit it or not there's probably significant travel and parking disruptions. And at one point the news was saying people coming to wait in line be prepared that there might not be food, etc in London because so many people. I don't expect England has the capacity to deal with huge movements of people into and out of one small area-even without considering staffing shortages from covid. 

Stinks but major events happen and whether you agree with them or not the fallout can mess up your life.

I also felt the grandchildren 's vigil was kind of voyeuristic. Still watched it...cuz nosey me!...but I felt uncomfortable when the camera was on the youngest ones. Hopefully they felt they wanted to and not pressured. I believe Harry has said negative things about walking behind his mother's casket in that procession.

Harry has also said that he was glad he did it.  I think he is ambivalent. On the one hand it was extremely painful.  On the other hand he can be proud he did this to honor his mother.

As for the grandchildren’s vigil, I bet the younger ones would not have wanted to be left out.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Plus young James comes from a very close stable family  If he has fears, worries or pressures his parents are about a 100 times more equipped to really help him sort out his feelings than distracted Charles was for Harry. 

Not to mention, it is James’ elderly grandmother who passed away peacefully, and he was able to stand still and quietly by the coffin for just 15 minutes.

Thats a big difference then having to walk for miles behind your mother’s casket, who died unexpectedly in a tragic accident, next to your father who had a messy relationship with your mother, and an uncle who was mad at your father’s family. I can see how that would be upsetting to 12 year-old Harry.

I feel like the scenarios are very different and solemnity aside, I’m going to guess that James was pleased to be allowed to participate in the same event as William and Harry.

Does anyone know if there has ever been a picture of just the grandchildren together before today? I’ve seen pictures of Louise and James with their grandparents and the great-grands, but I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a picture of just the Queen and all of her grandchildren together (no spouses, parents, etc).

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

16 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

I have little use for exam administrators in general.  (Don't get me started on the NCBE).  One of the things I'd like to see changed about the bar exam is to make it a rolling, year round process where people self-schedule during a certain time frame to take it at a testing center over computer.  The technology is there already to do all that and having people in secure rooms reduces some of the concerns around things like COVID.  IT has been doing it this way for decades but getting the various jurisdictions to go anything like that, having a root canal performed through one's nose would be easier.

Text books, yeah I hear you about that @hoipolloi.  One of my professors in law school had helped form ChartaCourse - professors build their own charts of legal concepts and cases they want students to learn.  He did that because of the cost of casebooks he thought was ridiculous.  It was $50 per course per student if the professor used that and was cheap compared to what some law school text books cost.  I liked it too because I had more access options - I could read assigned materials on a laptop or an iPad.

Constitutional law is divided into two courses at my law school, the first primarily dealing with the structure of the Constitution and the rights of people, and the second with powers granted to various government bodies.  For the second course the professor didn't even bother with a casebook and just posted PDFs of documents he wanted us to read up on Canvas.  The first course's textbook was huge, so the second course professor noticed that we were all asking about the size of the textbook and laughed a bit at the expressions of relief we were all having.  We had the same professor for administrative law so we were hoping he'd do that again but we were out of luck.  He had us use a casebook but it wasn't overly large and didn't cost too much.

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 2

There was a picture of the Queen holding Charlotte (I think) on her lap, and all the children gathered around her; Louise and James were standing behind them.  Mia had been acting up, and the Queen told her to hold the handbag; Mia did, and the picture was taken.  Not an informal picture, for sure.  And most were great-grandchildren.

• Upvote 1

I liked how the Wessexes were in between the the York girls and Zara and Peter. Almost as if the older cousins were being protective of the youngest. I also like as a group, granted they were old enough, they did something new to honor their grandmother whom they all seem to adore and have great memories of her as "granny".  William and Harry were perfect bookends and leads in the walk. For the record I think its stupid that Harry can't wear a uniform.  He served for goodness sake.

• Upvote 9