IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 45: Life with Josh in Prison and Marrying as Fast as They Can

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Hahaha I had the opposite experience in an isolated burger joint in the Western Australian desert. I was so proud of myself for remembering to ask for tomato sauce instead of ketchup! But the guy taking my order was very nasty to me and said I couldn’t talk properly because I said “toMAYto” instead of “toMAHto”. Like what, have you never heard an American accent? Have you never seen a movie? Do you live in a cave?? 

Chips legit mean a different food in the US though so I understand the confusion there. 

When my 3 year old started saying ‘toMAYto’ instead of ‘toMAHto’ and ‘garbage truck’ instead of ‘bin lorry’ I knew he’d been watching far too many American YouTube programmes 🙈

• Haha 14

6 minutes ago, Alysabeth said:

When my 3 year old started saying ‘toMAYto’ instead of ‘toMAHto’ and ‘garbage truck’ instead of ‘bin lorry’ I knew he’d been watching far too many American YouTube programmes 🙈

Oh wow I knew in the UK you say lorry for truck and bin for trash can but ‘bin lorry’ would have had me utterly confused. I imagine a tractor trailer filled to the brim with new trash cans waiting to be taken to people’s kitchens? Or maybe a truck somehow made out of trash cans, like a burning man art project? 😂

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Alysabeth said:

And I know a number of US kids who adopt interesting words/accents thanks to too many Thomas the Tank Engine and Peppa Pig episodes!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

I mean as an American living in Europe I don’t think I’ll ever know how to spell words like canceling or travelling again 😅

• Haha 8
  • I Agree 2

I lived in Japan for 4 years and did some traveling around Asia then. While we tried to stick to more local places, I totally loved going to Starbucks and McDonalds and seeing the difference. They always had special fun drinks at Starbucks, especially in Japan. I remember that in Hong Kong they had fried cheesy mashed potato balls that were great. I actually enjoyed going to hard rock too lol. But I'd say for every American meal we ate, we probably ate 3-4 local meals. And tbh, the American meals probably wouldn't have happened as much if we actually lived in America then.

• Upvote 5

When I was a teen from New York I ordered a milkshake in Boston and was surprised that it was just flavored milk, no ice cream. Got an earful about New Yorkers. 

I think it's probably died out now, but in Cincinnati green peppers were once known as "mangoes." Want a mango on that burger? Huh?

• WTF 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, patsymae said:

When I was a teen from New York I ordered a milkshake in Boston and was surprised that it was just flavored milk, no ice cream. Got an earful about New Yorkers. 

I think it's probably died out now, but in Cincinnati green peppers were once known as "mangoes." Want a mango on that burger? Huh?

In Boston milkshakes are frappes, perhaps you didn’t order the correct item?

1 minute ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

In Boston milkshakes are frappes, perhaps you didn’t order the correct item?

Yup.

14 hours ago, HereticHick said:

And I know a number of US kids who adopt interesting words/accents thanks to too many Thomas the Tank Engine and Peppa Pig episodes!

Bluey is the big influence now. We parents encourage it but my kiddo always needs his sunnies when he goes outside and we use garbage truck and bin man equally. There are definitely others we’ve adopted but I can’t think of them now. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/19/2023 at 3:31 PM, lumpentheologie said:

Oh wow I knew in the UK you say lorry for truck and bin for trash can but ‘bin lorry’ would have had me utterly confused. I imagine a tractor trailer filled to the brim with new trash cans waiting to be taken to people’s kitchens? Or maybe a truck somehow made out of trash cans, like a burning man art project? 😂

this has got me questioning what I even call that vehicle and I can only conclude that I just say 'the bin men', ie 'the bin men have been', 'look, MiniQuilt, it's the bin men!'

Sorry to any bin women or enbies among them that I have erased.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 5/19/2023 at 11:53 PM, CarrotCake said:

This already happened within the Netherlands with a friend of mine. She was ordering 'friet' with a very southern accent while in the northern part of the country they say 'patat'. It took three tries for them to understand 😁

The patat/friet discussion is about the biggest divider when it comes to the north and south of the Netherlands.

Ah, this is the Dutch version of Australia’s “potato cake” “potato scallop” debate. People are very passionate about their fried potato.

When I went to London as a 20 year old, my goal was to take a photo under every street sign on the monopoly board. It turned out to be a decent way to see most of the city, we at least walked past several tourist attractions. And y’know, not many people bother to visit poor  Old Kent Road. 15 years later my “smeeopoly” board with all the photos on it is finally getting use as my kids are old enough to want to play.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 7

I just saw the preview for Shiny Happy People and wow! I’m impressed at Jill for being in it.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

On 5/20/2023 at 12:20 AM, lumpentheologie said:

Hahaha I had the opposite experience in an isolated burger joint in the Western Australian desert. I was so proud of myself for remembering to ask for tomato sauce instead of ketchup! But the guy taking my order was very nasty to me and said I couldn’t talk properly because I said “toMAYto” instead of “toMAHto”. Like what, have you never heard an American accent? Have you never seen a movie? Do you live in a cave?? 

Chips legit mean a different food in the US though so I understand the confusion there. 

You should have told that Aussie he is a wanker. I would have for you. That’s just so rude, I don’t know anyone personally who would ever pull anyone up on that. Other than to comment the old saying you say to may toe I say To mah toe, personally I would be very chuffed to say that, in a literal context. Just like the time I was handed the bill in Athen Greece and got say “it’s all Greek to me.” Still love that in my inner dad joke heart. 

• Haha 6

On 5/4/2023 at 2:57 PM, keen23 said:

Hey, Denver has a Meow Wolf. And I wish I had taken edibles before I went into it. Next time. We are heading to Golden this summer to see a couple of shows at Red Rocks and to do the Coors brewery tour.

I went to the Meow Wolf in Santa Fe. It was fun at first, however it triggered sensory overload and a panic attack. Just too much going on in small cramped spaces. 
I wish I didn’t react like that. When an attack hits I feel like I have no control to stop it. 

• Love 4

On 5/21/2023 at 2:10 AM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I just saw the preview for Shiny Happy People and wow! I’m impressed at Jill for being in it.

wow, I was wondering what sort of tone this was going to take/what punches it might pull but it looks really serious. I hope Jill is doing OK and has support. It's really brave of her to be involved in this, and clearly she's happy to burn certain bridges or she's certain that those bridges are already burned. I'll be interested to see which members of her family draw away or nearer to her as a result of this.

• Upvote 9

On 5/20/2023 at 1:17 AM, Rowan said:

my kiddo always needs his sunnies

Dark glasses?  Sun hat? 

But the real reason I'm here, and I don't follow the Duggars with the exception of the Josh CSA Chronicles, is to check in on how deep marriages go into the Duggar line up and who's next?  Who has gotten married the youngest?  As most of the kids get married off, I truly hope the youngest kids get more individual attention and more of a sense of themselves as separate people and not just hive members. 

I just watched the Shiny Happy People trailer.  Damn.  "They're playing the long game." This is 10,000% accurate.

We do have Amazon Prime; I'll watch for sure.  I feel this visceral revulsion watching those short clips of Gothard and knowing what a repulsive creep he is. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Howl said:

Dark glasses?  Sun hat? 

Sunnies = sunglasses 

Like everyone else I’m excited for this. I’ll have a procedure recovery after June 7, but there’s no way I’m wait that long to watch. And it’s getting traction because a (Duggar snarling but not on here or Reddit) coworker mentioned it to me and my husband who pays no attention to this stuff at all asked if I e heard about it. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

wow, I was wondering what sort of tone this was going to take/what punches it might pull but it looks really serious. I hope Jill is doing OK and has support. It's really brave of her to be involved in this, and clearly she's happy to burn certain bridges or she's certain that those bridges are already burned. I'll be interested to see which members of her family draw away or nearer to her as a result of this.

I’ve been doing Duggar revision watching Gab with Abigail before the Documentary airs.  Abigail showed a clip from the Megan Kelly interview with M and JB. JB sits there and lies that non of the girls had a clue what Josh pig had done to them. Rubbish-if I'm remembering correctly Jill woke up and clocked him one? No wonder Jill feels unsafe around her Dad. She grew up being taught to adore him then he just craps on his daughters from a great height. 
You go Jill, you deserve to fly as do your sisters . 

• Upvote 4

On 5/18/2023 at 8:42 AM, Four is Enough said:

I think that and McDonald's would be very low on my list... like off the bottom. 

Those are pretty good ideas, and I would add the Cathedral of Notre Dame. (I'm a cathedral girl)

Cemeteries for me! And the catacombs, of course. 

On 5/20/2023 at 1:44 AM, patsymae said:

I'd never heard of this, and actual mangoes are extremely popular at my store, but I have lived in Cincinnati for only 12 years, so I looked it up, and this article seemed to have the best succinct info. It turns out to be like many immigrant food stories, people using what they had to hand to mimic another kind of food. 

Boston is special; imagine thinking only New Yorkers put ice cream in a milkshake. Milkshakes also have an interesting history, by the way. On the other hand, there is no egg in an egg cream, so.

Okay, I came here to read about the documentary ad drop, will now catch up.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I'd never heard of this, and actual mangoes are extremely popular at my store, but I have lived in Cincinnati for only 12 years, so I looked it up, and this article seemed to have the best succinct info. It turns out to be like many immigrant food stories, people using what they had to hand to mimic another kind of food. 

I lived in Cincinnati for the first 18 years of my life and never heard of that either. 

13 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

I lived in Cincinnati for the first 18 years of my life and never heard of that either. 

I almost went to Xavier, and I hadn't heard that one, either...

I've been to Starbucks in probably a dozen different countries. I like my chai lattes, and it's the easiest place to find one in Athens/Oslo/Brussels, etc.

I do usually stick to the local cuisine, but if I see a Starbucks while walking around I'll pop in.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I love popping into a McDonalds while traveling to read the menu.  I'm sure we'll be adding it to our list of places to eat on occasion when my daughter is of an age to travel since she can be intermittently picky about her food intake.  Sometimes you just want fries, I guess.

• Upvote 4

On 5/22/2023 at 11:10 PM, backyard sylph said:

Mangoes in Australia are very much a sweet summer fruit, eaten either by themselves or in cheesecake or yoghurt or on pavlova etc. You know the phrase “don’t yuck my yum”? Every summer people are trying to yum my yuck, they cannot comprehend that I DON’T LIKE MANGOES. They sell mango trays as a fundraiser for my daughter’s dance school. Mangoes have a weird cult-like following. Anyway, I mentioned that I hate mangoes to a Hawaiian woman in my writers group and she was like “oh interesting, green or ripe? Or both?” Apparently in her culture the norm is to eat them green with stuff like soy sauce, as a savoury/umami kind of food, so I can see how capsicum* could be a suitable replacement in those recipes even though it doesn’t gel with my perception of a mango as a sweet yellow strong-smelling thing.

*yeah, I don’t call them mangoes but I don’t call them peppers either!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Smee said:

Mangoes in Australia are very much a sweet summer fruit, eaten either by themselves or in cheesecake or yoghurt or on pavlova etc. You know the phrase “don’t yuck my yum”? Every summer people are trying to yum my yuck, they cannot comprehend that I DON’T LIKE MANGOES. They sell mango trays as a fundraiser for my daughter’s dance school. Mangoes have a weird cult-like following. Anyway, I mentioned that I hate mangoes to a Hawaiian woman in my writers group and she was like “oh interesting, green or ripe? Or both?” Apparently in her culture the norm is to eat them green with stuff like soy sauce, as a savoury/umami kind of food, so I can see how capsicum* could be a suitable replacement in those recipes even though it doesn’t gel with my perception of a mango as a sweet yellow strong-smelling thing.

*yeah, I don’t call them mangoes but I don’t call them peppers either!

Fellow mango hater over here! Totally agree that everyone freaks about that dislike (actually more than anything else I don’t like) Funnily enough I love mango lassi and only in the last month found out that Indians use only certain Indian varieties for it. Apparently now I need to try find those varieties which might be challenging because the only countries of origin that I have seen here in NZ are Australien, Peruvian, Chilean and Mexican. 

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Duggars by the Dozen 45: Life with Josh in Prison and Marrying as Fast as They Can
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic