IGNORED

Bates 31: When Will They Go Away?

Coconut Flan

On 8/18/2022 at 6:09 PM, Coconut Flan said:

I'd be more inclined to believe footage surfaced of two or more Bates brothers at January 6 doing it than vaccine.  They'd been going plenty of time after vaccine was available and since the show was going to air within days, the interviews had already been done.  

This is what I think, too. I think a lot more happened in DC than the Bates are willing to admit. UP doesn't want to be associated with that.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

This is what I think, too. I think a lot more happened in DC than the Bates are willing to admit. UP doesn't want to be associated with that.

if it was to do wit DC, wouldn't they have been arrested

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

I wonder if UP was unaware just how instrumental Gil was in covering up the abuse allegations against Gothard.  I agree that if DC had been a big deal those involved would be facing charges, not jet setting around the country.  And I don't buy the vaccination theory, because I agree they probably would have played a persecution angle... and we don't even know if UP was requiring vaccines, do we?  Aren't they a Christian company?

My guess is something came up on the deep IBLP dig.  It took Josh molesting his sisters and then watching CSAM to get the Duggars off TV.  I know UP is smaller, but this was their biggest draw.  It'll be something they wanted to get ahead of.

• Upvote 17

22 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

And if it were to do with not being vaccinated, I'm sure they'd be making comment (whether directly or in a passive aggressive manner) about their freedoms or convictions being discriminated against.

If it had to do with the vaccine, they would have been secretly vaccinated. Gil is all for the money.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

When UP was contacted about Lawson and Trace, they said "they'd investigated and found nothing wrong."  So I doubt that it was the insurrection.  I think it was Nathan shouting out George Floyd jokes.  It got canceled right after that. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

3 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

When UP was contacted about Lawson and Trace, they said "they'd investigated and found nothing wrong."  So I doubt that it was the insurrection.  I think it was Nathan shouting out George Floyd jokes.  It got canceled right after that. 

Oh, that's interesting. 

I think you're probably right. I had only heard the clip discussed. I went and watched it today, and IMO it's worse even than it sounds in summary. However it was unclear to me if the other people smiling in the background were reacting to what Nathan said or were still playing charades. It seemed very chaotic. Though the UP filming crew was there in the background, so they absolutely heard that and any other racist sentiments. It could be that there was more to it than what was fimed or an increasing backlog of racist comments, and it was the final straw.

If that's the case, it also wouldn't surprise me if the "break" with Carlin was blaming her post for the show being cancelled rather than rightly putting the blame on Nathan and whomever else for making racist and violent jokes.

It's wild to me that the Bates wouldn't issue an apology of some kind for that clip. As best I can tell, they haven't addressed it publicly, though, am I right that Carlin said something on instagram after?

• Upvote 6

Has anyone taken one for the team and watched the new video? I'm somewhat curious what "Mama B's advice for new wives" is. Although I'm sure I already know.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

So I bit the bullet and watched Lydia's video. All we need in life is a Godly Character (she makes a point that we can't just have good character,  she knows people with good character but they aren't Godly. You need Godly Character.  Also, Contentment.  You need to be contented with what you have and not wish for more. That is the secret to a good marriage/life.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 11
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, JMO said:

So I bit the bullet and watched Lydia's video. All we need in life is a Godly Character (she makes a point that we can't just have good character,  she knows people with good character but they aren't Godly. You need Godly Character.  Also, Contentment.  You need to be contented with what you have and not wish for more. That is the secret to a good marriage/life.

What is a godly character and why I suspect none of Bates has it?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 9

Contentment is not how you get ahead in life, that's for sure.  If I were content all the time, I wouldn't have broken off relationships that weren't ideal, I wouldn't have progressed in my career, and I wouldn't have found myself TRULY content with the life I always strived for.  Thank but no thanks, Lydia.

• Upvote 19

6 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Contentment is not how you get ahead in life, that's for sure.  If I were content all the time, I wouldn't have broken off relationships that weren't ideal, I wouldn't have progressed in my career, and I wouldn't have found myself TRULY content with the life I always strived for.  Thank but no thanks, Lydia.

If her parents were content in Germany, they wouldn’t have left right? So it’s actually bad to be content in some instances. 

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 5

Since I didn't make it clear, this advice was from Kelly to Lydia. Lydia wasn't telling people to be content in what you have for a good marriage,  Kelly was.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 11

16 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

It's wild to me that the Bates wouldn't issue an apology of some kind for that clip. As best I can tell, they haven't addressed it publicly, though, am I right that Carlin said something on instagram after?

Carlin did a half assed apology. If i am remembering it right she said something like she was not paying attention and had not realiced what was being said in the background and that she didnt agree with it and that it was rude and disrespectful or something like that.

But at least she apologized, the person who said it and the rest of the family acted as if nothing had happened.

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:44 PM, Cults-r-us said:

I had several rodents as pets throughout my childhood, who all mostly did ok as far as lifespan. I think the responsibility of their care must have weighed heavily on my subconscious because I have had a recurrent dream through the years (I'm 64 now) that I go to my basement and am shocked to realize I have not been feeding or watering my mice and hamsters. Some are salvageable, and I resume their care. End of dream. 

That is really weird to hear someone else say this. I too have had similar recurring dreams. I had a few hamsters during my teen years. My last hamster I created an elaborate home with multiple cages connected with tubes etc. However, I think he was sick for a long while before he died. I didn’t know what to do for him; this was before internet searching was readily available and I was a clueless teen. I think his suffering weighed heavily on my subconscious as well, which is why I didn’t get another one after him.

• Love 4

When Kelly says stuff like be content in marriage, I just hear, “never divorce. Even if he’s cheating and beating. Be content.”

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 18

"Contentment" for fundie women = the key to enforced servitude. Combine that with "die to self" and you have the recipe for women keeping the patriarchy afloat.

• Upvote 9

On 8/19/2022 at 11:51 PM, raayx01 said:

if it was to do wit DC, wouldn't they have been arrested

They could have been at the protest but not inside the capitol.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

They could have been at the protest but not inside the capitol.

They probably were, but that didn't seem enough to cancel the show right away.  It didn't even get cancelled around the time the hearings started, either.

• Upvote 4

There were plenty of people contacted and questioned who were at the trump rally in DC that day. But since they didn’t go inside the capital, fight, or destroy anything, they likely weren’t charged. Sort of like the Bontragers. I believe they were probably questioned and that’s why Josh and Carson’s families went dark on social media. 

• Upvote 8

On 8/20/2022 at 5:02 PM, BeccaGrim said:

That's assuming you believe UP. They'd have every reason to lie. They dont' want to be associated with January 6.

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There were plenty of people contacted and questioned who were at the trump rally in DC that day. But since they didn’t go inside the capital, fight, or destroy anything, they likely weren’t charged. Sort of like the Bontragers. I believe they were probably questioned and that’s why Josh and Carson’s families went dark on social media. 

How do we know that they didn't go inside the capital, fight, or destroy anything? Perhaps they were charged, but we don't know it.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, llucie said:

Carlin did a half assed apology. If i am remembering it right she said something like she was not paying attention and had not realiced what was being said in the background and that she didnt agree with it and that it was rude and disrespectful or something like that.

But at least she apologized, the person who said it and the rest of the family acted as if nothing had happened.

Did she say that she didn't agree with it? I thought she mostly apologized for not editing it out of the video...as though that's the problem, not what was said.  I think they broke with Carlin after that quite a bit. And, I think that might be why Nathan is living in Duggarland in Arkansas with Esther instead of Tennessee.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Did she say that she didn't agree with it? I thought she mostly apologized for not editing it out of the video...as though that's the problem, not what was said.  I think they broke with Carlin after that quite a bit. And, I think that might be why Nathan is living in Duggarland in Arkansas with Esther instead of Tennessee.

She stated that she "disagree with sarcasm, jokes and lighthearted comments being made that are disrespetful and hurtful, and i do not support the rudeness and hurtful words spoken in the story"

Knowing Nathan i bet he didnt take it well at all. But  even before that he was living quitte independent from his family and i think him living in Arkansas has more to do with his job.

Edited by llucie
spelling
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

15 minutes ago, llucie said:

She stated that she "disagree with sarcasm, jokes and lighthearted comments being made that are disrespetful and hurtful, and i do not support the rudeness and hurtful words spoken in the story"

Knowing Nathan i bet he didnt take it well at all. But  even before that he was living quitte independent from his family and i think him living in Arkansas has more to do with his job.

Thank you for finding that quote.  She doesn't exactly take a stand against her brother in that response. Ugh. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

How do we know that they didn't go inside the capital, fight, or destroy anything? Perhaps they were charged, but we don't know it.

The link below lists everyone charged, and there are no Bates on it. If a member of the Bates family had been charged in connection to the insurrection, I imagine that would have factored into Up's decision to cancel the show. It appears the Bates just attended, and as long as they were outside in the appropriate areas and followed the law (in terms of not having certain weapons etc) they were legally allowed to be there and protest. Up probably wouldn't choose to show such footage of their attendance because it is a controversial topic, and I think the channel shies away from certain controversial topics, but I highly doubt it would cause them to cancel the show. 

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/capitol-breach-cases

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

31 minutes ago, ifosterkittens said:

The link below lists everyone charged, and there are no Bates on it. If a member of the Bates family had been charged in connection to the insurrection, I imagine that would have factored into Up's decision to cancel the show. It appears the Bates just attended, and as long as they were outside in the appropriate areas and followed the law (in terms of not having certain weapons etc) they were legally allowed to be there and protest. Up probably wouldn't choose to show such footage of their attendance because it is a controversial topic, and I think the channel shies away from certain controversial topics, but I highly doubt it would cause them to cancel the show. 

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/capitol-breach-cases

Thank you! Very interesting!

I did read that updated lists are coming out every day, and that they are still identifying people. Whether that includes the Bates, I don't know. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic