IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 10: Even Less Relevant to the BRF

Coconut Flan

I mean haters can be nasty and obnoxious all they please but Fact is barring any tragedy or revolution the BRF will go on William and Kate will reign.Harry and His will be of interest to  history as just another chapter in the BRFs very long dramatic timeline  and will have faded in to relative obscurity in 50 years when George is King. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 3

Going on the numbers that have been thrown around by a certain someone on this thread, Meghan was well off by ordinary standards, but for the circles she was running around in 5 million is not rich.  I live in Montreal, not Toronto, but I currently live in the Villa Maria neighborhood and my children go to school in Westmount (2 of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city).  While I live in a very modest apartment and am no where near as wealthy as my neighbours, I have had the opportunity to observe the lives of the very rich in action.  Their houses alone cost well over 5 million. Never mind salaries for household staff and all that security they need. Designer clothes don’t pay for themselves and neither does private education for the kids. 

Frankly, based on personal observation only, if the numbers thrown around are all they are worth, then they really are living way above their means and it’s no wonder they are a bit desperate and salty about money.  It’s very hard to keep up appearances without the financial backing. 

There’s an absurd amount of pity for those poor Cambridge children.  There need not be.  Their lives will not be all that much different from their peers.  Butlers, maids and discreet security is par for the course in those circles.  I don’t particularly think Harry’s kids will be hanging out at an average birthday party either (or did you miss the whole security debacle with him as well?)

Of course, the resident troll does not care about any of this.  I know.  

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 13

3 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Why has this discussion become “Kate vs Meghan” and “William vs Harry” and “Sussexes vs Cambridges”? 

Because @Jackie3 seems unable to defend Meghan without criticizing Kate, even when she has nothing to do with the topic at hand. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

They may not be the most exciting of people but after years of scandals and people who court trouble and drama and salaciousness from big personalities  a solid stolid couple who just do the job the Tax payers pay them for has got to be a relief. 

Oh, I think they will be great for the monarchy and I respect how they have buckled down and taken their roles seriously.  I was evaluating them as “boring” only from the POV of snarking. ;) 

• Upvote 1

In some areas, boring is a wonderful characteristic, isn't it?

It could also be called reliable, predictable, or responsible.  😁 😁

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

In some areas, boring is a wonderful characteristic, isn't it?

It could also be called reliable, predictable, or responsible.  😁 😁

There are all kinds of boring. Some fundies, for example, are boring, but neither reliable nor responsible. ;)

As far as I can tell, Kate and Will are behaving as they should in their position, and it seems that the children are getting a balance of “let them be kids” with “teach them to act according to their position.” (I found Louis’s “misbehavior” at the Jubilee a good sign.)  

I don’t much care what Kate and the kids wear (though I wouldn’t have put George in a suit for an event other people attend in shirtsleeves).  I am more interested in how they behave towards other people, and so far they come across the way a future king and queen should. Folks who oppose the entire institution of the monarchy are going to find fault with anything that royals do. But unless you come at the topic of Will and Kate from an “anti-privilege” or “anti-monarchic” perspective, there isn’t much to criticize.   Their staff seems loyal, which is a sign that they behave decently.  They seem very much in love.

Both of Diana’s sons seem to have found spouses with whom they click emotionally.  Whatever may be said about either of them (Kate and Meghan),  each fills the needs of her husband and vice-versa.  Marriage is always a balance of personal wants and needs which works best when goals and expectations are shared. Meghan and Harry seem to be on the same page, as do William and Kate.  The public may be annoyed that all four are not on the same page, but that is another issue. ;)

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 7/26/2022 at 8:16 PM, viii said:

I think he’s aware that the Cambridge children come first in the line of succession but I still maintain that they botched William and Harry as adults. They should have always been raised separately, rather than together like they were. (I obviously don’t mean physically but in the royalty sense.) Harry is clearly not the brightest crayon in the box and I think the abrupt adjustment has been rough on him. He should have never had a joint office with William, for one thing. I think his importance was blown up bigger than it should have been, and in turn, Harry doesn’t know how to fade into the background and gracefully step back. They had the same issue with Andrew when he was younger. Second sons are tricky and the way they currently raise them doesn’t work imo. I’m hoping things go better for Charlotte and Louis. 

I don’t think the adjustment was abrupt. K&W dated for a long time. Enough time to make a save bet on marriage. W approached the typical age for marriage and children in their social group (and the statistical average). George might have taken precedence straight away but in the day to day dealings that didn’t mean much when he was just a baby or toddler. It never seemed to bother H. Same when Charlotte was born. Of course it wasn’t all “three young royals” anymore. But it was a rather long development. 
I do understand that living the reality of your relationship/marriage/wife/children never being as important to the institution is very different to just knowing it theoretically. Especially because the boundaries between private/family and business/institution are probably very blurry. It’s no shame in being affected by it and refusing to play along. But therefore you would have to severe the royal part so you can solely live the private relationships. That’s not what they tried though. They tried to strong arm on the business side and lost. 

• Upvote 10

13 hours ago, treehugger said:

Going on the numbers that have been thrown around by a certain someone on this thread, Meghan was well off by ordinary standards, but for the circles she was running around in 5 million is not rich.

Five mil is only the beginning. She'll make a ton of money off residuals, in fact, she does now

I agree there are richer people, but so what? Not saying she's the richest woman in the world. The Queen comes close to earning that title, but she didn't earn her money. Meghan did.

The Queen did not earn her money. Kate didn't earn hers. Anne didn't earn hers. They are used to taking from others. Maybe that's why they dont' understand Meghan, and vice versa. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Five mil is only the beginning. She'll make a ton of money off residuals, in fact, she does not.

I agree there are richer people, but so what? Not saying she's the richest woman in the world. The Queen comes close to earning that title, but she didn't earn her money. Meghan did.

The Queen did not earn her money. Kate didn't earn hers. Anne didn't earn hers. They are used to taking from others. Maybe that's why they dont' understand Meghan, and vice versa. 

I appreciate your spirited defence of my tax money. Thanks and all that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

Comparing Markle to Royal women in terms of employment is quite ridiculous.

Elizabeth of York had her job lined up at a very young age but even if she had not become Queen a young woman of her  class would not have been worked for wages. 

Anne as a working Royal could not have been employed because of her duties and there would have been the inevitable allegations of favoritism, taking A job away from a woman who really needed it, using her name to benefit whatever employer and so on .

Recall Sophie Wessex was a successful career woman who tried to keep her job after marriage and it proved a failure. 

Actually real talk Meghan never actually worked a regular 40 hour 5 day a week job for a paycheck till she landed on Suits  and because Like Kate  Her family was wealthy enough she really did not need to. She graduated with a degree , travelled ,  did charity stuff and interning and free lance and wrote a blog. But then So Did Kate minus the blogging. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Actually real talk Meghan never actually worked a regular 40 hour 5 day a week job for a paycheck till she landed on Suits  and because Like Kate  Her family was wealthy enough she really did not need to. She graduated with a degree , travelled ,  did charity stuff and interning and free lance and wrote a blog. But then So Did Kate minus the blogging. 

Tom Bower and Meghan's father agree with you, they also pretend she never worked.

2055375098_noyogurt.png.7b11f47434071a75701ff41d0a77b131.png

However, her former employer points out their lies.

yogurt.png.cb3f4637d7746363dc378cf7bfe44ca1.png

She started working there at age 13. I wonder what Kate was doing at 13? Getting an education she'd never use ,maybe? I tend to doubt she was making froyo.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

She'll make a ton of money off residuals, in fact, she does now

Dream land.  She was never in anything big enough to make a ton off residuals.

• Upvote 6

Yes. The ever important teenage Yogurt shop  job. Forgive me! She was also a waitress and baby sitter like nearly every teen girl at one time or another  Seriously?  I meant having to survive as an adult person by a full time job before the acting gig.

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Kate was fortunate enough to be born To parents who started a business from the ground up to become very very wealthy and as She did not steal beg or sleep her way to money she has done absolutely nothing wrong. 

Can you imagine saying to your kid, "Daddy and Mummy have lots of money so there's no need to ever get a job. You also don't have to use what you study at university in a career. Just finish college and spend time shopping and socializing. We'll give you all the money you need, and then you'll marry someone who'll do the same."

Are you approving of that sort of lifestyle? Because I think it's a terrible message to send to a kid. 

22 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

5 million or so is really pathetically little for the socialite and HollyWood set. Keeping up with those people and all the trappings plus bills, taxes, traveling Etc would have used most of that up soonish rather than later. We also don’t know if she saved any as it’s none of our business. 

Well, it's 5 million more than Kate ever made!

Of course, she had the British taxpayers to "keep up" her bills.

30 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Yes. The ever important teenage Yogurt shop  job. Forgive me! She was also a waitress and baby sitter like nearly every teen girl at one time or another  Seriously?  I meant having to survive as an adult person by a full time job before the acting gig.

Well, it's one job more than Kate Middleton ever worked! Let's take compare their employment histories:

241783489_duchesslist.png.13236b64b4099d1c46e713432b398993.png

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 3
  • Downvote 2

Every person has to make the best choice for themselves and as long it’s legal and doesn’t hurt anyone else it’s no one’s damn business . 

But as I mentioned earlier Kate did her share of non profit charity work and travel  and She did work part time. Of course your  “factual” list omits this but it’s true. Kate and Megan have done most of the same things at one time or another. The usual stuff of very well off women who don’t have to worry about money and can pursue wherever there will interests take them. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Dream land.  She was never in anything big enough to make a ton off residuals.

Suits is one of the most streamed box sets on Netflix. She makes money on every sale. Plus, there's lots more:

1. Meghan had a $5 million paycheck from the show.

2. While the show was running. she also made an  additional $80,000 a year doing sponsorships and appearances.

3. Now she gets residual checks from Amazon Prime, Netflix, NBA Peacock and USA each time Suits is streamed.  That's a lot of checks!

4. She'll make even more from foreign syndication

5. She also makes money from merchandise sales of the Suits brand.

6. She made $187,000 and  $171,000 in 2010 alone, for her parts in two movies.

7. Plus, there's the $4/hour she made at the yogurt shop, starting at age $13. She knows how to work, and work well!

residuals.png.4d58f9646a6c14c9daf67fe2c293a702.png

But as I mentioned earlier Kate did her share of non profit charity work and travel  and She did work part time.

She traveled? Since when is travel considered work? Travel is what people do on vacation, as break from work. I don't see Kate needing a break from anything.

I'd love a job traveling around, visiting places in first class hotels, drinking, socializing, shopping.  Where do you apply? I want to do "my share"  too!

Non-profit charity work. You mean volunteer work. Many of us work full-time jobs AND do volunteer work. 

Every person has to make the best choice for themselves and as long it’s legal and doesn’t hurt anyone else it’s no one’s damn business . 

True, she did nothing illegal (except possibly the mooning). Is that the best you can say about her? 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 2

On 7/26/2022 at 9:32 AM, viii said:

She’s a former actress and he’s a prince - of course they’re going to want all eyes on them. I think majority of members in the royal family struggle with trying to balance wanting attention and needing privacy.

You know, not all royals want attention. It's not a given. They are a diverse group. Some are introverted, some are extroverted. Some don't "struggle" at all with wanting attention. They just want privacy and peace and quiet. 

I have no idea what Harry wants. But I'm not going to assume he's collecting People magazine covers. Perhaps when his book comes out (it's finished!) people will get a better sense of his personality. However, the fact that he left England for the US kinda indicates he wants to live in a country where he's less of a celeb.

• Move Along 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 1

She won the Duke of Edinburgh Award. 

She graduated with honors in her chosen course of study. 

Studied at the British institute in Florence 

She travelled to Chile with William for The Raleigh international program. 

Studied Psychology for before Deciding on a art major.

Raised Funds for UNICEF by organizing a photography exhibition…

Just Factually speaking Other than basic Graduation Meghan has no intellectual achievement other than one study abroad program  or serious in depth study under her belt.  Her internship was a help out from her uncle. 

Kate focused more on what she did do. Art, photography are her key interests and that’s what she used to help organizations  in various ways. 

As you like say I could go on. 

Now you are going to twist things and say… “Well she was Williams girl friend and it was all favoritism “

• Haha 1

British employment laws for minors were and are shockingly different to those of the USA. 

9 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

She won the Duke of Edinburgh Award. 

I've got a bronze Duke of Edinburgh award, it's not that hard to get one.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Good Job on that! Be that as it may be it proves Kate was not just shopping and spending money and being a idle rich girl like as the troll like to blather about. She fulfilled the criteria to be awarded a Gold award so she did something worthwhile to get it. 

Even if Kate did deliberately choose St. Andrew's because William was going there, who cares. No one was forcing him to date or marry her. Being the queen or having any other position in the royal family really sounds like hell to me. So if she was up for the task then the more power to her. 

I also don't get what the big deal is about her only having really worked at her parents' company. I know many people who worked during or after university at their parents' company. Some knew it was just temporary while they figured out what they did next. Others planned on staying but decided it wasn't for them and some have stayed on permanently.

If a parent runs a successful company, one of their kids might end up taking it over. It would be odd if their kid never worked there at all. I'm not saying that Kate would have taken over the business. She probably wouldn't have. But it doesn't mean that she gained no life experience from it before she moved on to her new job as Duchess of Cambridge. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

It’s that certain brand of “Feminism” that says unless a woman works like a dog at a full  time job to get a high level degree to get a high level job she is variously a slacker, leeching, dumb,  weak, letting down women kind, not liberated and a bad! Example. Even if the women in question would be miserable and has other ideas about how she wants live her life. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I've got a bronze Duke of Edinburgh award, it's not that hard to get one.

Interesting to hear this from a Bronze award winner!

When I looked it up, here's what I found

Participants are required to show regular activity and commitment to the award for the duration of their DofE programme, which is usually at least one hour per week.'

I think even Kate could handle an hour a week.

It also doesn't sound like she worked very hard. Here's what she had to say about it.

Kate shared that one day, during a downpour, she was put in charge of cooking bacon for sandwiches. “I remember saying you know what, I think we’re just going to have plain sandwiches. Bread, basic bread and butter,” Kate recounted.

She couldn't even cook bacon for her group. She served them bread and butter instead!

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s that certain brand of “Feminism” that says unless a woman works like a dog at a full  time job to get a high level degree to get a high level job she is variously a slacker, leeching, dumb,  weak, letting down women kind, not liberated and a bad! Example. Even if the women in question would be miserable and has other ideas about how she wants live her life. 

I don't think anyone's saying Kate worked like a dog, lol!!!!

She's welcome to get a degree she doesn't use, live off her parents' money and do socialite charity work. But people are going to have opinions of her, based on this behavior.

A 40-year old woman who's never held a full-time job, and who lives off other people's money. Yes, people will have opinions about that, and they are free to share them.

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Good Job on that! Be that as it may be it proves Kate was not just shopping and spending money and being a idle rich girl like as the troll like to blather about. She fulfilled the criteria to be awarded a Gold award so she did something worthwhile to get it. 

She got it at age 18. She was an idle rich woman (not girl) for the many years that followed. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 6

No. She wasn’t an “idle rich girl”  I have posted all she did. 

It’s that certain brand of “Feminism” that says unless a woman works like a dog at a full  time job to get a high level degree to get a high level job she is variously a slacker, leeching, dumb,  weak, letting down women kind, not liberated and a bad! Example. Even if the women in question would be miserable and has other ideas about how she wants live her life.  The troll  espouses this  damaging ignorant crap. 

The no bacon story is so eye opening for me! 😱 What a horrible person!!! I‘m now convinced that Kate is absolutely going to let the UK down when she‘s queen consort!!!!11!

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

• Coconut Flan locked this topic