IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 10: Even Less Relevant to the BRF

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

I hope this is more tabloid poppycock.  Who renews their vows before alleged "friends" and only one family member after less than four years of marriage?  Maybe they need it as Netflix fodder since they still haven't produced anything to fulfill their contract.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1657005/meghan-markle-news-prince-harry-us-vow-renewal-royal-family-snubbed

That's very odd. In the UK, I've only ever heard of vow renewals in the context of 50th or 60th wedding anniversaries, and they're done in church, either on the anniversary itself or the nearest Sunday.

Unless they'd meant to have a celebration in the States with friends and family who couldn't make it over for the wedding, and then various things got in the way (stepping back as working royals, then covid, as well as the Platinum Jubilee), so that's what this is and they think calling it a renewal of vows sounds better.

Or, you know, it's the Daily Express, they could very easily be making it up.

• Upvote 2

Yeeeeeeah I’m gonna guess that’s fake. Or they’ll be divorced by this time next year. 

With these two, it could go either way. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, rosamundi said:

Unless they'd meant to have a celebration in the States with friends and family who couldn't make it over for the wedding, and then various things got in the way (stepping back as working royals, then covid, as well as the Platinum Jubilee), so that's what this is and they think calling it a renewal of vows sounds better.

They didn't invite her family in the States and Harry has none here. And they didn't invite the friends that were at the wedding to the evening reception. So I'm not sure who would be so important that they have to have a party for them 4.5 years later. 

• Upvote 3

Presumably People in the entertainment business or those with very fat wallets whose good will they want to cultivate for the future. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

umm....if they go looking for Jackson Hole in Idaho, somebody will come upon their bleached bones beside the road.  Jackson Hole is indeed a beautiful place.  In Wyoming.  I've been there several times; in fact, my husband and I were there when we heard the news of Diana's wreck on the car radio.

Meghan wants that imaginary wedding that didn't happen the night before their formal wedding to come true.  Or something.  Just as long as it's woke enough.

Edited by SoSoNosy
terminology
  • Haha 5

On 8/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, EmCatlyn said:

Yes, we are agreed about how the yoghurt shop story is open to different interpretations depending on context and how the story—or its contradiction—are worded.  Then there is the point both Meghan and her father may have deliberately exaggerated.  (Each in a different direction.) 

The whole “color of the baby’s skin” question is another example where how you report what was said will affect how it is understood and how “racist” it really is. (What I mean is that a comment about a future child’s appearance is not necessarily racist just because it mentions skin tone.  The racism is in the attitudes about skin tone.)

I am sure that Harry knew there would be comments about skintone when he married Meghan, but I can believe that he did not find these comments offensive until Meghan told him they were.  Since we are not likely to know what exactly was said, we can only speculate.

This may have already been covered, but I’m back reading. Forgive me if this is repetitive. BUT I’m three years older than Meghan and also grew up in California. Work permits for general jobs (not acting, for example) were only given to people 14 and above. I had to get one to volunteer at a vet’s office and had to wait until I was 14; 13 year olds weren’t allowed to legally hold regular jobs. 
I’m also the white mother of a child of color. We discussed her potential features back when she was in utero. I think contemplating the future offspring’s looks is pretty common amongst all races. IF some BRF member discussed potential skin tone negatively, that’s obviously extremely problematic [ETA: we do have the issue of unreliable narrators]. But if it was something like Camila joking that the baby might have a ginger Afro? To me, that seems like something someone excited about a grand baby would laugh about, racism-free. (And Archie would have been cute as fuck if he’d gotten that genetic setting!)

Edited by apandaaries
  • Upvote 11

Also working in a yogurt shop she would have had to get a health department food service training certificate.  There is an age requirement on that, too.  I thought my daughter had to be 15, but it's been a LONG time.

• Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Also working in a yogurt shop she would have had to get a health department food service training certificate.  There is an age requirement on that, too.  I thought my daughter had to be 15, but it's been a LONG time.

You are assuming the owner followed all the rules. Most likely, he hired Meghan under the table. I knew plenty of kids who got jobs at 13 and 14 that way. Did you think that everyone follows the rules? Of course they don't.

I think spending your teenage years working at a yogurt shop is far better than spending them mooning boys at your elite boarding school. Kate might've benefited from holding a job like that (or any job!)

• Move Along 2
  • Fuck You 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 2

Is anyone else very amused by the thought of someone „spending years“ mooning people? 😆  Would that have to be a certain number of hours a week? If it‘s just me wondering, that‘s ok. 

• Haha 14

46 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

You are assuming the owner followed all the rules. Most likely, he hired Meghan under the table. I knew plenty of kids who got jobs at 13 and 14 that way. Did you think that everyone follows the rules? Of course they don't.

I think spending your teenage years working at a yogurt shop is far better than spending them mooning boys at your elite boarding school. Kate might've benefited from holding a job like that (or any job!)

Time to take a hint.

• Haha 1
  • Love 3

Is it possible she was „hired“ under the table aka working for cash with no paperwork involved? Sure. If so, it’s a bid stupid to talk about it- especially for the shop itself. Or we, again have a bit of a soft timeline. Maybe she just started three days prior her 14th birthday 🤭

I wouldn’t get to caught up in it. Sadly, M (and H) has shown a tendency to be flexible with facts. Language matters and it’s their own fault many people (even those that support their decision to do their own thing, even though that’s not exactly what they started out to do, and hope they find happiness and success on their own) don’t think they are exactly credible in their statements and therefore take everything they say with a grain of salt. 
Now, isn’t it fantastic that they can still add to their carbon footprint and support charities in the UK by going there but still haven’t managed to release a ******* podcast episode. Don’t get me wrong. If they continue to support their UK patronages/charities that’s really well done. But what exactly if their profile? Right now it’s failed producers, full time suing charity babes. And they don’t even have a cause you instantly connect with them. It’s more H, well something aids, veterans maybe wildlife in Africa? M, women, BLM, no guns?, education?, pets?, parents? It’s too much and not focused enough. They should slow down, pick two topics max. each (H Invictus & Sentebale?, M ??) and put more energy in their business till that is established and running. 

By the way-obviously many people are flexible with facts. The RF is no exception. But they don’t sue papers with a massive media campaign how they are fighting the good fight against misinformation/ misleading information.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 15

I think spending your teenage years working at a yogurt shop is far better than spending them mooning boys at your elite boarding school.

Talk about damning with faint praise...

Yeah so all of Meghan's employment details may not be strictly true but at least she didn't do years of some stupid thing that nobody else did either.

Actually I don't know that she didn't. It's theoretically possible to work at a yoghurt shop and moon people. Although probably not full time.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

On 8/19/2022 at 5:08 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Time to take a hint.

Gotta say, didn’t realize she wants us to “open each and every door.” ;)  

Apparently the first episode of Archetypes was released today. I haven’t listened to it, but Spotify says:

“Meghan will speak with historians and experts to uncover the origin of these stereotypes and have uncensored conversations with women who know all too well how these typecasts shape our narratives."

Summary from media commentary:

In episode 1 she speaks with Serena Williams about how women with ambition face a double standard. She tells the story of how, when in South Africa she was standing on a tree stump giving a speech to women and girls. While this was happening, back at the place they were staying, a nanny named Lauren (who was from Zimbabwe) strapped Archie to her back with a mud cloth (which Harry and Meghan loved), and went to get a snack from the kitchen with the baby on her back. This saved him from a nursery fire which broke out. There were no smoke detectors. Meghan says the royal family made her go to another engagement and that she resents having to leave her baby.

She says she suffered pain behind closed doors because people called her ambitious. She said she was raised with the idea that it is a terrible, terrible thing for a woman to be ambitious.

“And part of the humanising and the breaking through of these labels and these archetypes and these boxes that we’re put into is having some understanding on the human moments behind the scenes that people might not have any awareness of and to give each other a break.

“Because we did – we had to leave our baby.”

• Eyeroll 3
  • Thank You 3

On 8/18/2022 at 12:27 PM, Coconut Flan said:

I hope this is more tabloid poppycock.  Who renews their vows before alleged "friends" and only one family member after less than four years of marriage?  Maybe they need it as Netflix fodder since they still haven't produced anything to fulfill their contract.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1657005/meghan-markle-news-prince-harry-us-vow-renewal-royal-family-snubbed

Sounds like something for the cameras.  But who renews their vows after less than 5 years of marriage?  Wasn’t the little private ceremony in front of the Archbishop of Canterbury which Meghan claimed as their “real” wedding (and the Archbishop had to clarify wasn’t a legal wedding) not enough?

Maybe Meghan is worried that the marriage has exceeded Harry’s attention span and he needs a reminder?   Or maybe Harry is worried Meghan will get bored with him and wants to be reassured of her commitment?

I guess their folie a deux needs to be recharged regularly.  I am sure they will have fun.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Apparently the first episode of Archetypes was released today. I haven’t listened to it, but Spotify says:

“Meghan will speak with historians and experts to uncover the origin of these stereotypes and have uncensored conversations with women who know all too well how these typecasts shape our narratives."

Summary from media commentary:

In episode 1 she speaks with Serena Williams about how women with ambition face a double standard. She tells the story of how, when in South Africa she was standing on a tree stump giving a speech to women and girls. While this was happening, back at the place they were staying, a nanny named Lauren (who was from Zimbabwe) strapped Archie to her back with a mud cloth (which Harry and Meghan loved), and went to get a snack from the kitchen with the baby on her back. This saved him from a nursery fire which broke out. There were no smoke detectors. Meghan says the royal family made her go to another engagement and that she resents having to leave her baby.

She says she suffered pain behind closed doors because people called her ambitious. She said she was raised with the idea that it is a terrible, terrible thing for a woman to be ambitious.

“And part of the humanising and the breaking through of these labels and these archetypes and these boxes that we’re put into is having some understanding on the human moments behind the scenes that people might not have any awareness of and to give each other a break.

If her version is accurate…

1) why is she not more upset with husband for not putting his foot down?

2) who does she mean by “the royal family?” Prince Charles? The Queen? William? Do they monitor the schedule when someone is on a tour and give them step-by-step instructions on what to do ever minute of the day? Or does she just clump all the advisors and schedulers into one big “the royal family” clump?

If the events went down as she said, yes, she should be upset, but why be upset at just the in-laws and not her husband? Harry’s always been a bit of a rebel and I can’t imagine him feeling obligated to obey a schedule if he was genuinely worried about his son.

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Wasn’t the little private ceremony in front of the Archbishop of Canterbury which Meghan claimed as their “real” wedding (and the Archbishop had to clarify wasn’t a legal wedding) not enough?

It wasn't valid because Kate was wearing pastels.

• Haha 11

I can imagine that it must be stressful to have a fire break out in the nursery (though I'm guessing it must have been a small one that was easily put out if the press never knew about it). That said, Archie thankfully was not hurt, and if things have been scheduled and events planned on a royal tour, it would be quite difficult for it to be cancelled just before without a bit of a kerfuffle.

As for ambition, I can see that being considered a negative trait for a spouse in the Royal Family. For one thing, it's meant to be about service rather than personal ambition, and another, as the wife of the spare, she can only really go down in importance within the hierarchy unless something tragic happens to the Cambridges.

• Upvote 4

I’m a bit confused by Meghan. She strikes me as someone in need of private therapy but instead of getting the proper help she’s is publicly sharing traumatic events for podcast fodder. I’m all for people being transparent with their trauma but imo there are healthy ways of doing it and she’s not doing it well. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, adidas said:

It sounds like one big whine and bitch session.  She's whining about ambitious women a couple of decades too late.  There are far too many far more successful women her age for this to be truly credible.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

I know leaving your baby to work sucks but it just sounds so tone deaf.  Many of us have had to do that, and unless I’m wrong, the baby traveled with her.

I had to go back to 24 shifts when my babies were six weeks old as a paramedic.  That sucked. Badly. But I had to buy formula and diapers and pay NICU bills.  Fortunately DH and I rotated 24 shifts so one of us was home and I could leave the babies with him, but it still sucked.  And I wasn’t out on a tree stump giving a speech.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

Can you imagine the Queen's response if Meghan had whined to her about it?  She left Charles for months to go on a royal tour when he was a young child.  

I'm not saying that was the best parenting, but it used to be what was done.  Some things you can't ditch unless it's a true emergency such as if Archie had been actually burned.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

It sounds like one big whine and bitch session.  She's whining about ambitious women a couple of decades too late.  There are far too many far more successful women her age for this to be truly credible.

But she’s not wrong. It’s not like women are super advanced in 2022 - if anything, we are progressing backwards. Ambitious women are still not taken seriously. It’s like how people still call little girls “bossy” yet little boys show their leadership skills. 

Dislike Meghan all you want but she’s not wrong in pointing out this double standard. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic