IGNORED

Charles and Camilla

QuiverFullofBooks

Yes, because it is a warming center, not a full-fledged shelter.  Actual shelters, while essential and necessary, are incredibly difficult to do right (source, my husband who was the driving force in getting a fully staffed drop in center into our heritage church basement, and works closely with actual shelters). They also attract a different type of clientele, both with very real needs.  But often, people who are not homeless but struggling, find it hard to access resources, so their needs are important also. 

• Upvote 9

I appreciate the sentiment. But there's a cost associated with opening a warming center in a castle or fancy house. Staff, *security* , additional transportation runs?

And perhaps that money would be better directed to the councils or whoever handles such things?

I also expect many people taking the free tickets are probably more interested in hanging out in  Charles' house for an afternoon than specifically getting warm.

I  mean....he probably has a fancy painting or two he could sell and give that money?

I started rewatching the crown and got a good chuckle at Philips nun mom asking why they can't sell one of the many clocks to raise money for her convent.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:11 PM, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

appreciate the sentiment. But there's a cost associated with opening a warming center in a castle or fancy house. Staff, *security* , additional transportation runs?

And perhaps that money would be better directed to the councils or whoever handles such things?

Depending on what is locally available this could be a help because it increases the amount of available space, and doesn't overwhelm existing facilities. 

• Upvote 4

On 2/2/2023 at 11:11 PM, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I appreciate the sentiment. But there's a cost associated with opening a warming center in a castle or fancy house. Staff, *security* , additional transportation runs?

Of course there's a cost associated with helping people. There always is. Giving more money to the government to mishandle is rarely a good idea.

Mmeerggg. I keep thinking there's new delightful snark but it's just troll doodoo.

Guys, there's troll doodoo I stepped in in here.

So...content wise....I think I saw a YouTube blurb that australia isn't putting Charles on the money.

I mean I don't feel sorry for him. But it kinda sucks for him to wait forever.

People used to talk so much about skipping him for William. Nobody seems to care either way any more. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

So...content wise....I think I saw a YouTube blurb that australia isn't putting Charles on the money.

I mean I don't feel sorry for him. But it kinda sucks for him to wait forever.

People used to talk so much about skipping him for William. Nobody seems to care either way any more.

Yeah, the troll mentioned it in a rare non-trollish post. I think it‘s a good decision for Australia. Makes sense. (Aren’t they keeping him on the coins though? Don‘t know how much Aussies use their coins. Have heard our German fetish for cash is pretty much unmatched in the western world😅).

Now I don‘t know what Charles thinks about it. He has been depicted as vain when he was young. There may be some truth to that but I also wouldn‘t be surprised if that trait faded a little with age. He‘s not 40-year-old Charles anymore. Perhaps he doesn‘t really care that much. Or, you know, his feelings are hurt. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ah I do not read the troll poop. I just get suckered in when it says there's a new post.

---

Yeah I just kind of generally wonder what Charles thinks about. Gotta be an anxious time. Qeliz. was crowned in such a different world and she had a very specific idea of what to do moving forward.

I don't get a sense that Charles agreed with all her choices but what can he really do at this point when her way is now decades old tradition?

Does anybody know what happens to Highgrove now? I've read a lot about the gardens and experimental ecology stuff. But I guess he has to give it up??

Maybe Balmoral becomes experimental next?

Edited by Coconut Flan
Fixing text speak.

41 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Does anybody know what happens to Highgrove now? I've read a lot about the gardens and experimental ecology stuff. But I guess he has to give it up??

He can live there on the weekends. QE lived in Windsor on the weekends. 

42 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I don't get a sense that Charles agreed with all her choices but what can he really do at this point when her way is now decades old tradition?

He's King. He can break tradition if he wants to. He already has. 

6 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

It's owned by the Duchy of Cornwall so technically it's now Prince William's, and his father should be paying rent to the Duchy.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

Must be strange to live someplace and build whole fancy gardens...for what? 40 years? Didn't he get that place in the 80s?

But not yours now.

Then again, I guess he knew thar was the future.

Thinking about past father/son king/princes....seems there's a few who would happily dig the whole garden up as soon as they could to sic it to dad.

I can't imagine William caring about it.

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2023 at 1:55 PM, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Must be strange to live someplace and build whole fancy gardens...for what? 40 years? Didn't he get that place in the 80s?

But not yours now.

Then again, I guess he knew thar was the future.

Thinking about past father/son king/princes....seems there's a few who would happily dig the whole garden up as soon as they could to sic it to dad.

I can't imagine William caring about it.

It's the same as fixing up a rental, really.

If Charles really wanted to own a home, he could have bought one with his vast personal fortune. 

I doubt William will care if Charles lives out his life there. William has four homes right now, and could buy a dozen more without missing the money

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The RF can't seem to get any celebrities to play at the Coronation. So far, these celebrities have said, "No, thanks."

Adele

Elton John

Harry Styles

Ed Sheeran

Robbie Williams

Spice Girls

I feel for Charles. If he's been looking forward to this day all his life, it must be shock to discover a lot of people just aren't impressed. In fact, many people are repulsed by his treatment of his son and DIL. Even the fact that he'd have the coronation on Archie's birthday is a turnoff.

People are also repulsed by a king who would wear jewels that were stolen from other countries. 

It's a different world now. Things that were Ok years ago, just aren't OK anymore.. Not that it was ever OK to go to another countries and take their valuables.

On top of that, none of the "players" are attractive or appealing, which seems to be important in order to sell the monarchy. The only attractive, charismatic ones are the Cambridge kids, and perhaps their mother.

They made a  big mistake chasing Harry and Meghan away.  People would have tuned in to see them.

Edited by Jackie3

Lol.  I'm sure nobody asked the Spice Girls to sing as they haven't been a group in decades. And could you imagine Victoria Beckham shimmying away at the coronation.  A coronation is a solemn, respectable thing, not a Hollywood debauch.   Elton John sang at Diana's funeral so, I'm pretty sure he wasn't asked either.  Honestly, celebrity music doesn't seem like it would be King Charles' type.  

The music that will be played at the coronation has been posted on the website for at least a week already.  https://www.royal.uk/coronation-music-westminster-abbey

Choirs and orchestral ensembles seems to be the theme of the day.  Far more fitting really, for the grandeur of the occasion.  And local choirs are a lot more inclusive for the people of the country he is actually King of.  

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 4

I think they're talking about the groups performing at the open air concert not the coronation itself.  They just had one of those for the jubilee perhaps a different event would have been better.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Ahh. Possibly.  Who knows, perhaps the spice girls will resurrect themselves for this auspicious occasion after all 🤣

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, treehugger said:

Choirs and orchestral ensembles seems to be the theme of the day.  Far more fitting really, for the grandeur of the occasion.  And local choirs are a lot more inclusive for the people of the country he is actually King of.  I don't know that KC gives a flying fuck about Hollywood frankly.  He isn't American and Hollywood isn't in his country. 

Even the Daily Mail says that Charles was hoping for some Hollywood stars at his coronation, and that he's pretty disappointed it's not working out. The stars arent' feeling the "grandeur" of the occasion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11793817/Elton-John-Harry-Styles-Spice-Girls-turn-chance-perform-Kings-coronation.html

There was talk the Spice Girls would reunite for the Coronation. They decided against it.

https://www.nylon.com/life/spice-girls-reunion-king-charles-coronation

Edited by Jackie3

Just now, treehugger said:

Ahh. Possibly.  Who knows, perhaps the spice girls will resurrect themselves for this auspicious occasion after all 🤣

They got together to perform for the opening ceremony of the Olympics when it was in London, and there have been rumors of a reunion tour every few years since they split. A concert for a coronation is exactly the sort of thing they'd probably consider a reunion for. 

They never seem to be able to get things to work out, though. They all have their own lives, families, and Victoria especially is busy with her own businesses and such. 

Not gonna lie, I still unironically love the Spice Girls. Whenever my sisters and I are on a long car trip we break out their music and sing our way to wherever we're going. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I love the Spice Girls too, but it would be a pretty big reach for them to get back together again. Like you said, they have different lives now.  It sounds more like it didn't work out for their schedules and less like they are giving KC the middle finger over H&M though.  

• I Agree 3

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic