IGNORED

Charles and Camilla

QuiverFullofBooks

15 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Harry touches on this in his book-how they are all obsessed with their press and he talks about knowing he'd be better off ignoring it but just can't help himself.

That's because he has a biracial wife who drew far worse hatred than any other royal wife. And he has biracial children he wants to protect, too.

324182217_3113397462290932_2404882941377227894_n.jpg.9a1931e6eb9f8d17c00307569a6191d7.jpg

I mean, of course he wants to protect that little cutie.

I meant Prince Haakon’s two biological children. Only Princess Ingrid Alexandra is recognized  as member of the Royal House, along with her parents and grandparents  and her younger brother is not. The stepson of course has no titles or Royal standing of any kind and looks to be turning into an extremely wealthy rather aimless socialite pretty boy and model wanna be. 

25 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

The stepson of course has no titles or Royal standing of any kind and looks to be turning into an extremely wealthy rather aimless socialite pretty boy and model wanna be. 

Meow.

He also formally withdrew from public life years ago, trained as a motorcycle mechanic, and quietly attended college in the US (though never graduated). He has always been a pretty boy and liked to party. He is also young. Both his biological parents struggled hard as young people and eventually figured it out.

• Upvote 2

Well. Marrying a crown prince is nice work if you can get it:)  Seriously  though Mette-Merit seems like a lovely person and a good Crown Princess even though her health limits her activities.

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1

@viii has commented (and I am paraphrasing liberally) that there are people on these threads who ultimately support monarchy versus those who don’t and that is why this is corner of FJ is different and paradoxical.

I am beginning to think that the difference may be those who think becoming Royal by birth or marriage would be a good gig versus those who would run screaming from the hills.

Mette-Merit has not had it easy and she is often outside her comfort zone. 

Where I think the Norwegian Royal family outshines the others is that they don’t pretend to be anything other than messy and they also work very hard at their relationships with a quiet sense of loyalty.

I mean, they are essentially dealing with a future in-law who is dang near Q-Anon in terms of conspiracies and some of us here have first hand knowledge of how exhausting that can be.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

@viii has commented (and I am paraphrasing liberally) that there are people on these threads who ultimately support monarchy versus those who don’t and that is why this is corner of FJ is different and paradoxical.

I am beginning to think that the difference may be those who think becoming Royal by birth or marriage would be a good gig versus those who would run screaming from the hills.

I‘m pro monarchy but would never ever want to live that life myself.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1

12 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I‘m pro monarchy but would never ever want to live that life myself.

We should draw a Venn diagram. 😂😂😂

• Haha 4

On 1/25/2023 at 6:18 PM, viii said:

All this but I also hate that Harry’s actions have been deemed worse by majority of people and media, even though Harry hasn’t come close to the foulness that is Andrew of York. 

I would strongly challenge the claim that the “majority of people” deemed H&M worse than PA. That’s only a small alas loud minority. Most people would rather see PA behind bars or at least locked up on a country estate never to be seen again. The whole Epstein/Guiffre drama is just the tip of the iceberg of shady and unbecoming behaviour. He is disliked since basically 15 years or more. But there is not much new about this.
H&M are easy targets because their drama is new and they fuel it. 
Most people dislike both parties (and often enough the rest as well) for very different reasons. You can absolutely say, both PA and PH should loose their titles without drawing comparisons. Just like you can loose your drivers license for driving way to fast and very drunk or because you cut a red light at 3am on an empty street, tiny crossroad and no one around. 

• Upvote 11

44 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I would strongly challenge the claim that the “majority of people” deemed H&M worse than PA. That’s only a small alas loud minority. Most people would rather see PA behind bars or at least locked up on a country estate never to be seen again. The whole Epstein/Guiffre drama is just the tip of the iceberg of shady and unbecoming behaviour. He is disliked since basically 15 years or more. But there is not much new about this.
H&M are easy targets because their drama is new and they fuel it. 
Most people dislike both parties (and often enough the rest as well) for very different reasons. You can absolutely say, both PA and PH should loose their titles without drawing comparisons. Just like you can loose your drivers license for driving way to fast and very drunk or because you cut a red light at 3am on an empty street, tiny crossroad and no one around. 

Yup, we need some Venn diagrams.

I will say that it is unfortunate that H&M are easy targets because I do think the press uses them as a distraction from Andrew and other serious issues associated with the monarchy.

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I would strongly challenge the claim that the “majority of people” deemed H&M worse than PA. That’s only a small alas loud minority. 

I don't think it is loud minority. All the various "celebrity" websites I visit, there is FAR more condemnation for Harry and Meghan than there is for Andrew. One could argue that it's because they are more often in the public eye, giving people more to speculate on, but from what I have seen online, Harry is treated far worse for being a "traitor" to his family than Andrew is for being a vile, loathsome individual. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, viii said:

I don't think it is loud minority. All the various "celebrity" websites I visit, there is FAR more condemnation for Harry and Meghan than there is for Andrew. One could argue that it's because they are more often in the public eye, giving people more to speculate on, but from what I have seen online, Harry is treated far worse for being a "traitor" to his family than Andrew is for being a vile, loathsome individual. 

There are several reasons for that:

1. Harry broke tradition. He pulled away the curtain. There are people who have enormous respect for the mystique of the monarchy. These people feel betrayed.

2. Racism. There are people who can't believe a biracial woman was on the balony.

3. Rejection-These people can't believe that a biracial woman would choose not to be on the balcony. That a biracial woman would dare to be offended by racism. That her husband would protect her, rather than ignore it. This group feel outraged that they can't be as racist as they want without repurcussions. They have been called on their racism and their excuses don't fly. ("We called Archie a chimp as a joke!") 

In general, people who break new paths are not lauded for it.

I do understand that his family feels betrayed by Harry but for the public Andrew should be the bigger problem by far. Harry just hands the media more fodder at the moment.

ETA: I heard today that Andrew is waiting for a piece of information to come out that he thinks will clear his name. Can‘t really imagine that though.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 6

That's why I say Harry and Meghan hand out own goals.  They put themselves out there for attention and comment.  They want attention.  It's simply that it isn't all going to be positive.  Andrew is being talked about and negatively at that because it's rumored he wants to come back and reverse the settlement.  Good luck with that. ;)  I can't imagine he'll get much if any positive talk about that.  I think Charles needs to squash that as much as it is within his power to do so.  I saw this morning where Charles used the renovation of Buckingham palace to remove Andrew's use of rooms there.  

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I do understand that his family feels betrayed by Harry but for the public Andrew should be the bigger problem by far. Harry just hands the media more fodder at the moment.

ETA: I heard today that Andrew is waiting for a piece of information to come out that he thinks will clear his name. Can‘t really imagine that though.

Harry is making the money he needs to protect his family, since the UK doesn't provide him with security. There is so much hate out there, and his family needs protection. His billionaire father and brother could have easily paid for it, but choose not to, so they get what they get. What else does he have to sell but his royal experiences?

Harry is also telling his story, which is his right. He can do it as often as he likes. I like how he resists all the pressure for him to be silent. I'm not sure why so many Americans are so invested in protecting the royal family. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

Isn't the castle of.mey out in the middle of no where?

Seems like an idea. But if you can't afford heating how do you afford transport to royal residences that I assume are not an easy walking distance from lower income residential.areas?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Seems like an idea. But if you can't afford heating how do you afford transport to royal residences that I assume are not an easy walking distance from lower income residential.areas?

You have a point there. Somewhere in the article it was mentioned that tickets (looks like you can‘t just show up?) for one of the places were already sold out. Makes me wonder if some of them are just tourists interested in those buildings. So yeah, not sure if this actually helps those who need it the most.

Edited by prayawaythefundie
  • Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

I've just checked and there's a bus that connects most of the villages in the area. Under 21s, over 60s and disabled people get free bus travel, and I think there's concessions for unemployed people as well. It's not the fastest but that's another couple of hours in the warm.

Most councils are opening similar spaces in libraries and other public access hubs, although I'm not as familiar with Scotland's services as I am the ones my council in London is offering.

It may be quite useful if you live locally as the nearest libraries are in Thurso and Wick and I'm not sure what other equivalent public spaces there are in the villages without a library that you can go to without the expectation of spending money (you can't just sit in the pub for four hours, for instance). Or it may just be an exercise in "look at me, Doing Something™. Or a mix of both.

Edited by rosamundi
missed a bit.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

While the tickets are "sold out," they are actually free.  They aren't opening the whole residence either, just a room or two.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

22 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

While the tickets are "sold out," they are actually free.  They aren't opening the whole residence either, just a room or two.  

It's a start. Those giant buildings are just sitting there.

I find it interesting that the plan seems to emphasize the importance of social engagement. In other words, if you are an old pensioner who is isolated, you can go there simply to have company, even if you have heat in your home.

That's not a concept that's emphasized in the US that much. We have places you can get warm, or receive food, but the importance of social engagement isn't dealt with as often.

10 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

More or less. The castle belonged to the late Queen Mother who bought it after the death of G6. It was the first and maybe only residence that she actually owned. She loved the place and spent a bundle on refurbishing it. To be fair, it does look lovely and I suppose there could be a number of people in the vicinity that would be eligible for and helped by a warming center based there.

• Upvote 3

I mean, if one just has a castle lying around, they might as well put it to good use.  I'm finding it a little bit difficult to see how this is a problem.  Is there more that can be done?  Sure, there always is.  But this isn't a horrible, pointless idea.  It's actually a fantastic and creative use of the space.  Why not?  

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, treehugger said:

I mean, if one just has a castle lying around, they might as well put it to good use.  I'm finding it a little bit difficult to see how this is a problem.  Is there more that can be done?  Sure, there always is.  But this isn't a horrible, pointless idea.  It's actually a fantastic and creative use of the space.  Why not?  

I think it's a beginning. Even if it's just done for the PR, it may help people. Plus, it acknowledges that the public has needs, and that these giant castles don't exist just for the enjoyment of a handful of aristocrats.

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic