IGNORED

Truck off: convoys, coups and protests

Ozlsn

One of the Canadian convoy organizers, Tamara Lich, was denied bail this morning.

In her sketch she’s wearing an I ❤️Canadian Oil & Gas sweatshirt.

I’ve been suspecting a huge motivator for many people involved in the convoy is about oil and gas politics and not vaccine mandates.

• Upvote 9

On 2/21/2022 at 4:16 PM, Howl said:

One of the leader/organizers says the end game is to shut down the DC Beltway.  Supposedly, they'll leave a lane open for emergency situations but don't care if people are blocked from getting to work.  If freeways aren't functioning, drivers take to surface roads.  Surface roads become gridlocked  incredibly quickly.  Emergency services and the people who desperately need them are going to be in horrible straights. 

Their stated goal is to f**k DC.  This is the most disconcerting thing I read in the linked article: "Police sources say there have been challenges in D.C. to find towing companies willing to work with law enforcement."

I live in the area and couldn't agree more about gridlock of surface roads when there's disruption on a major thoroughfare.  Also, I believe Metro ridership is still down due to COVID* (among other issues), which won't help.

Some towing companies in the area have gotten into trouble for predatory practices.  I think it's better now than a few years ago, but stories still pop up.  I'm curious how much money the towing companies might potentially be willing to forego.  Also, if the protesting truckers hose up the roads enough, trucks on the road for other purposes will be inconvenienced.  How might they respond?

Help from the National Guard has been requested: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/national-guard-troops-requested-for-possible-dc-trucker-protests/2980156/

* I haven't ridden public transportation for over two years now, though I suppose I would if I really had to.  Seems every time I start leaning toward taking a ride, I see a bus pass by with a driver with no mask on...and they're required.  I'm not sure whether I'm more concerned about my health around unmasked people in close quarters, or just pissed off at the spotty enforcement and so not inclined to give them my business.

Edited by Dandruff
Got rid of double post.
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

Looks like the DoD is considering using the National Guard

The Department of Defense is considering a request for the District of Columbia National Guard to assist law enforcement agencies in Washington, DC, that are preparing for convoys to descend on the area, even as plans for a Canada-style trucker protest in the US capital remain murky.

"The Department is analyzing a request for assistance from the US Capitol Police and the DC Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency," DoD spokesman John Kirby said in a statement. "Those agencies have asked for National Guard personnel to provide support at traffic control points in and around the District to help the USCP and DC government address potential challenges stemming from possible disruptions at key traffic arteries."

Kirby added: "No decisions have been made yet to approve these requests."

Area law enforcement, including the Maryland State Police, Metropolitan Police Department in DC, and the United States Capitol Police, are closely monitoring the situation and in some cases ramping up security to deal with the possibility of major disruptions in the days leading up to and around President Joe Biden's State of the Union address on March 1.

• Thank You 5

On 2/22/2022 at 8:16 AM, Howl said:

Their stated goal is to f**k DC.  This is the most disconcerting thing I read in the linked article: "Police sources say there have been challenges in D.C. to find towing companies willing to work with law enforcement."  

Block them out of DC entirely. Also renegiotiate towing contracts with police depts.

• Upvote 6

On 2/22/2022 at 4:05 AM, Howl said:

These yahoos are using the Interstate highway system, which is already heavily traveled and intensively used by their fellow truckers. 

Also paid for by the taxes they object to - maybe they should charge them tolls for use?

• Upvote 6

Now I wonder who is keeping track of the moneys?  Who will actually benefit?  These yahoos have already raised $300,000 US.  One article I read indicates they are asking people to meet them along the route to donate - - in cash, I suppose?  Not to mention the numerous LLCs set up by Peoples Convoy spokesnut Leigh Dundas and others to take in money.  I hope the IRS and Justice are paying attention.

https://www.newsweek.com/peoples-convoy-rakes-300k-donations-truckers-trip-dc-1681405

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Also paid for by the taxes they object to - maybe they should charge them tolls for use?

Or have every weigh station on their route turned on, so they have to pull off.  Put police in the area to ID and ticket any truck that doesn't stop.  Delay at the weigh station every truck that can't demonstrate a legitimate trip to the DC area or wherever they go to disrupt.

I realize there are impracticalities and that this would interfere with truckers doing normal business.  OTOH, truckers doing normal business - along with everyone else - are already being interfered with by the protestors.  Demanding that all trucks pull over could potentially produce a net gain in traffic flow.

I'm not going to be driving today.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

On 2/21/2022 at 5:54 PM, Audrey2 said:

If the website is correct it looks like things are going to be quite miserable and Indianapolis as well. They have down depart Indianapolis and then it sounds like they returnto Indianapolis and to part again the next day.

I'm in Indianapolis and it's a topic of conversation in my various friend groups - a lot of our downtown interstates are closed for construction so we are not really sure where they're all going to go? 

I know I personally will be very annoyed if my commute to work is messed up by these yahoos. 

• Upvote 9

On 2/21/2022 at 6:56 AM, Becky said:

Thank you for the link. I put their stops into MapQuest so I could see the mileage:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8f2b16afedcabb1ac8a62bff99281ffb.png

image.png.0437da3c78a390d747f59dc3d3c72c24.png

I know they want to clog things up as much as possible, but eleven days to drive from one coast to the other? :hand:

I would like to bring your attention to this part of their website:

Spoiler

image.png.c9bbb3daf33a6843dd248b9425b6c63d.png

The second link has a weeks worth of these:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.719b9571a636c1c10f927358815b06b4.png

image.thumb.png.7a97d9f9a72cbaaa9ace120b0f547016.png

$5000 a day, 20 slots available on each day.

Stand For Freedom

Ridin’ Shotgun

We are all truckers as of 11:00 am PST on February 23, 2022!

Our great American Trucker is the tip of the spear in leading the way to winning our freedom back.  We are joining hands and peacefully, loudly, and largely showing our Government that they work for US.

To keep our trucks and convoy rolling we need a war chest.  We are offering the opportunity to make history with us by buying a seat for a day ridin’ shotgun with a trucker!  This will be a full day of ridin’ so grab a slim jim and red bull and roll with the kings of the road!

All riders must do a background check and sign a waiver.  Any expenses for travel back to your home, lodging, meals are at the rider’s own expense.

After securing your seat, you will be contacted with the specific details of your trip.

"Headquarter Bus" info for those interested in a more luxurious experience:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5baa4b20047bc7d2c4dd248936c809a2.png

You have an additional chance at watching history being made by bidding on the one and only bunk/seat in the operation headquarters bus ridin’ shotgun for a week.

This opportunity will go to the highest bidder, with bids starting at $250K. The winning bidder will be highly vetted with background and criminal investigation prior to boarding the bus to Freedom.

You will have every moment listening and contributing to the tactics, logistics, and “boots on the ground” affairs and happenings.  A ringside seat to history in the making.

Any expenses for travel back to your home, lodging, meals are at the rider’s own expense.

The winner of the auction will be contacted with the specific details of your trip.

"The winning bidder will be highly vetted with background and criminal investigation prior to boarding the bus to Freedom."

Isn't that a HIPPO violation? :wink-kitty:

"Any expenses for travel back to your home, lodging, meals are at the rider’s own expense."

You'd think after paying $250K, you'd at least get a big-ass Coke and some gas station nachos out of them.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3ed95b744a7ed5aeb3423b268d5bd9ff.png

image.thumb.png.44d2020280a1dbba9346efbb0d91c631.png

image.thumb.png.1f8f5da1053a198be4b5a9f8ee32a58e.png

image.thumb.png.d20dfeb3fc2764ceb1c324d10da19ed0.png

image.thumb.png.5d820207edc3816b991418a762babcb6.png

image.thumb.png.7440676e57f2ecd67d703e125bf43d70.png

image.thumb.png.e3b7c1c27ee2b6924746c344cd70c1d1.png

image.thumb.png.f99436017f4656149c3c5cd9aa9d65d0.png

Is that supposed to be Trump in the second picture behind the Statue of Liberty?

• Thank You 6

This is the most asinine thing - I mean, the mandates are falling all over the country.  This is simply protest for its own sake, attention seeking, "owning the libs" or whatever.  I just don't get it.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

On 2/24/2022 at 10:32 AM, Cartmann99 said:

You'd think after paying $250K, you'd at least get a big-ass Coke and some gas station nachos out of them.

But then they would need bathroom breaks! They can't let anything stop them, so throw in some Depends as well?

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

But then they would need bathroom breaks! They can't let anything stop them, so throw in some Depends as well?

And a big stick of deodorant.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

With the frightening situation that has been unfolding in the Ukraine, is it possible that some of these convoy yahoos might actually feel a sense of shame about their own whining and realize that their perceived oppression pales in comparison to what is happening in other regions?

They seem to be itching for war. Well, we are witnessing the reality of war at this very moment. 

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, LifeIsStrange said:

With the frightening situation that has been unfolding in the Ukraine, is it possible that some of these convoy yahoos might actually feel a sense of shame about their own whining and realize that their perceived oppression pales in comparison to what is happening in other regions?

It strikes me as toddler-type tantrumming so I doubt anyone else's problems would matter to them.

• I Agree 14

5 hours ago, LifeIsStrange said:

They seem to be itching for war. Well, we are witnessing the reality of war at this very moment. 

I don't think they can make the connection between what's on TV and their own lives. It's not real to them - the people are far away, speak other languages, wear funny clothing, live in different types of housing. In their minds they're the heroes who escape explosions unharmed, take blows to the head without ABIs, the ones the bullets miss while others fall, the ones awarded medals at the end. If war comes it will probably be a shock to them as to how awful and utterly destructive it is - but it will also be a bit late to work that out.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I don't think they can make the connection between what's on TV and their own lives. It's not real to them - the people are far away, speak other languages, wear funny clothing, live in different types of housing. In their minds they're the heroes who escape explosions unharmed, take blows to the head without ABIs, the ones the bullets miss while others fall, the ones awarded medals at the end. If war comes it will probably be a shock to them as to how awful and utterly destructive it is - but it will also be a bit late to work that out.

All the applause!!!! 

I ranted in the MTG thread along the same lines, but right now is the perfect chance for all these “pro-life” yelling, freedom loving, gun worshiping, war LARPing, democracy whistling, world police adoring, camouflage donning, flag waving survivalist wannabes to hop on planes and head to Ukraine to fight alongside people who are literally fighting for life, freedom, democracy, autonomy, and their country. If you are mad because Kap took a knee? Board a plane. If you think the Jan. 6 invaders are “patriots”? Board a plane. If you think wearing a mask is a violation of your rights? Board a plane. If you think the people protesting disparate treatment of POC are the same as Nazis holding Nazi rallies? Board a fucking plane and I hope you get stuck in the middle seat between David Rodrigues after he has had a full meal of burnt & yellow followed by a bowl or six of Jill’s Grease, Mystery Meat, and Bean Soup and Sharon Gilbert as she is being sexed up by Other Derek and the Gargs. 

Seriously, the Ukrainian invasion really does highlight how absolutely childish these convoy participants are. We didn’t even need this invasion to know. These asshats really cannot go beyond themselves to see that all over the world- even in the most first world of first world countries- people are suffering from far worse every damn day. You have to wear a fucking mask? Let me introduce you to a small child (or twenty) who wishes that was his or her biggest problem in life. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

CDC now says masks are not required indoors in many locations. Exceptions are where community transmission and hospitalizations are still high ( mostly where vax rates are low). I guess the convoy can high-5 and go home now, right? 

They have now raised over $850,000! OMG, who is donating, and who is administering all that dough? What will happen to anything left over after they reach DC? 

• Upvote 8

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

It's looking like the convoy may be somewhat of a dud and the truckers think the invasion of Ukraine is a fake news story meant as a distraction from their epic endeavor. The Guardian reporter caught up with the convoy camped at Lupton, AZ on the AZ/NM border.  This is Navajo Reservation, maybe they worked that out before hand?  Don Quixote-like quest’: Ukraine attack and easing Covid mandates leave US trucker protest on the fringe

<snip>  But now – with Ukraine dominating airwaves across the globe – no one was paying much attention to the American truckers. Especially, perhaps, as the convoy was promoting “freedom” against restrictions in the US that have largely been lifted already as the pandemic has ebbed recently and weary politicians have focused on the economy.

On 2/25/2022 at 10:01 AM, LifeIsStrange said:

Oh hell, no! 

The Guardian article continues: Another trucker, wearing an American and Canadian flag as a cape, nodded in agreement with Wright that it was all a plot. Others around the campfire too agree with the conspiracy myth that the outbreak of war in Europe is an attempt to divert attention away from this trucker convoy, which is currently about a couple hundred people parked in the desert of the American southwest.

And love this perspective from the reporter:  In the western United States, where most people drive cars rather than use public transportation, far larger queues of vehicles have been seen at the opening of an In-N-Out burger, for example.

One or two convoys have disbanded and recommended that participants join other convoys.  Washington DC is as serious as a heart attack about dealing with this situation; they won't fuck around with these nincompoops or put up with any malarky!  Hoping this will be a total dud by the time they roll into the capital. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 2

44 minutes ago, Howl said:

It's looking like the convoy may be somewhat of a dud and the truckers think the invasion of Ukraine is a fake news story meant as a distraction from their epic endeavor. The Guardian reporter caught up with the convoy camped at Lupton, AZ on the AZ/NM border.  This is Navajo Reservation, maybe they worked that out before hand?

But now – with Ukraine dominating airwaves across the globe – no one was paying much attention to the American truckers. Especially, perhaps, as the convoy was promoting “freedom” against restrictions in the US that have largely been lifted already as the pandemic has ebbed recently and weary politicians have focused on the economy.

Another trucker, wearing an American and Canadian flag as a cape, nodded in agreement with Wright that it was all a plot. Others around the campfire too agree with the conspiracy myth that the outbreak of war in Europe is an attempt to divert attention away from this trucker convoy, which is currently about a couple hundred people parked in the desert of the American southwest.

And love this perspective from the reporter:  In the western United States, where most people drive cars rather than use public transportation, far larger queues of vehicles have been seen at the opening of an In-N-Out burger, for example.

One or two convoys have disbanded and recommended that participants join other convoys.  Washington DC is as serious as a heart attack about dealing with this situation; they won't fuck around with these nincompoops or put up with any malarky!  Hoping this will be a total dud by the time they roll into the capital. 

When you order the Ottawa Convoy Protest on Wish.

• Haha 10

I got confused today about the convoys and found this helpful:

image.png.cb89d8edab98d7fddf1c9e4ef1a3d214.png

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Thank You 8

Well the "rally" on the Mall in DC yesterday was (charitably) a dud.  Original anticipated attendance?  A few thousand.  Actual attendance?  Looked to be two dozen or so IF you didn't count the press.  Be interesting to see how many truckers actually get to the Beltway on *checks calendar* Saturday. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

What exactly is their plan once they get to DC? Do they have a plan?

• Upvote 3