IGNORED

Truck off: convoys, coups and protests

Ozlsn

2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

We saw gas prices today at over $5.00 per gallon.  First time I’ve seen prices that high.  Lucky for these clowns that they have someone else footing their fuel bills. In other news, we went grocery shopping and some of our regular items had gone up significantly in a week.  It’s not going to get better anytime soon, I’m guessing. 

I saw it up to $3.94 here in the Twin Cities yesterday.

If the license thing goes well tomorrow I've decided to use some mileage to fly back home Thursday evening instead of driving a rental down there.  Then just load down my Bolt and bring it up north.  Still trying to figure out what to do with charging up here.  Looks like I'll be able to do some on my in-office days since there's a ramp not too far from work that has chargers but I'd rather have my own.   

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Then just load down my Bolt and bring it up north.  Still trying to figure out what to do with charging up here.  Looks like I'll be able to do some on my in-office days since there's a ramp not too far from work that has chargers but I'd rather have my own.   

Are you going to put a bike rack on your Bolt?  Or do you plan to do bike rides from home when the weather improves? 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Howl said:

Are you going to put a bike rack on your Bolt?  Or do you plan to do bike rides from home when the weather improves? 

I already have a bike rack for the Bolt and hitch.  As the weather improves I'll ride the bike around more so I don't know that I'll be keeping the rack on the Bolt full time since I live in the city and am fairly close to some trails.  I might even try to ride the bike to work on in-office days since there's a bike rack in the garage at work.  (The bar examiners can go straight to hell if they think I'm giving up riding again this year for their benefit.  Life is too short for that sort of bullshit anymore).  

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, 47of74 said:

(The bar examiners can go straight to hell if they think I'm giving up riding again this year for their benefit.  Life is too short for that sort of bullshit anymore).  

I have to ask: why the actual fuck would the bar give a crap about you biking places?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I have to ask: why the actual fuck would the bar give a crap about you biking places?

They want people to study sixteen hours a day seven days a week.  I don't care if it means having to take the fucking thing three our four times.  I'm done with the whole putting my life on hold for such people. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

Truthfully I don't think there is a plan or any realistic demands. We cannot make the world spin backwards to 2 years ago and eliminate the start of coronavirus. I can see some kind of demand like install Trump as president and more claims that President Biden didn't really win the election.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

*Whisperingly consulting each other*
”Um, we demand a thousand bags of Cheetos, a thousand two liter bottles of Mountain Dew, a thousand coupons for free Grand Slams at Denny’s, a thousand gallons of chocolate milk, a thousand copies of all of the Fast and Furious movies, a thousand Trumpy bears, a thousand of cans of chaw- wintergreen flavor, a thousand 24 packs of PBR, a thousand Papa John’s pizzas with all the meats and extra cheese but none of those librul commie veggietubbuls and make those pizzas the really big ones and extra garlic butter too, a thousand buckets of KFC extra crispy with all of the sides and extra gravy, and a thousand of the big pack Little Debbies Nutty Buddies. Wait a minute…. The fuck Cruz? Really? Ok. Also Teddy here wants somethin’ called ‘munity  from prostitution… what?? Prossicrucifixion for treason, being a traitor, something about January 6th, and being the Zodiac killer.”

• Haha 12
  • Love 1

At this point I'm wondering if half of them aren't just enjoying their very strange vacation. They definitely don't seem to have any actual agenda past "owning the libs" in some vague fashion.

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

It's raining here today.  Hope they're enjoying the extra challenge on the roads.

The weather forecast for Washington DC on Saturday is a mix of rain and snow, so that's another day they'll have to skip.

• Upvote 8
  • Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

The weather forecast for Washington DC on Saturday is a mix of rain and snow, so that's another day they'll have to skip.

Really committed to their cause, eh?  Just like their Dear Leader, who has been known to skip events honoring fallen military because of a little light rain.  How do they think people who work in DC get to their jobs on rainy days?  What a bunch of babies. 

• Upvote 7

Think any of these people who claim to be Christian might see the rain and maybe snow and think "Hmmm... maybe God is telling us something..."?

Unlikely, I know. Their God only sends them messages they like.

Also it's probably easier to give up on a protest when the weather isn't nice if you don't have any idea what you're protesting about in the first place. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, AlmostSavedAtTacoBell said:

Really committed to their cause, eh?  Just like their Dear Leader, who has been known to skip events honoring fallen military because of a little light rain.  How do they think people who work in DC get to their jobs on rainy days?  What a bunch of babies. 

Their gonads are apparently no match for a little rain.  They are making an impression, though.

• Upvote 6

Are all of these people retired?  How can they afford to just park near DC and wait for a sunny day to drive around?  And now that gas has gotten more expensive, you'd think they'd turn around and go home.  

This is a bit like the Q people in Texas.  They've committed to something insane and I'm not sure any of us can make much sense of it.

• Upvote 11

4 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I am prepared to offer my share of the forthcoming storm to Washington. I don't fancy up to 15cm extra and I'm sure it would be more useful there.

• Upvote 5

Ted met with representatives from the convoy:

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 6

15 hours ago, Xan said:

And now that gas has gotten more expensive, you'd think they'd turn around and go home.  

They may not be able to afford to go home.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Ted met with representatives from the convoy:

Suuuurrrrre they do. Just like people come up to Trump, and hug and kiss him.  :rolleyes:
These people lie as easily as they breathe. 

• I Agree 10

They thank him for fighting for what, now?

Their right to spend hours in a tube filled with pressurized air with unmasked people breathing on them? Their right to get Covid? 

The only time Cruz has ever benefited airline employees is the time he ran away from his freezing constituents to Cancun, then had to fly back ahead of schedule to attempt to save face. 

• Upvote 8

More political theater from the zodiac killer: "Sen. Cruz rides with ‘People’s Convoy’ truck to D.C. as Beltway protest enters fourth day"

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) visited the “People’s Convoy” at the Hagerstown Speedway on Thursday and rode shotgun in the lead truck, with plans for the vehicle to head into Washington for a news conference, while the rest of the convoy circles the Capital Beltway to protest pandemic health restrictions aimed to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

“The convoy is not [going into D.C.],” Brian Brase, the group’s organizer, said from inside the lead truck. “The convoy’s going to continue its normal operation. This truck will be going into D.C.”

Though many pandemic-related restrictions at the federal and local levels have been blocked or rescinded, the convoy organizers have rallied supporters by calling mandates an infringement on their freedoms.

“There ain’t no ignoring a senator riding in the lead truck,” Brase told the crowd at the Hagerstown Speedway earlier. “That’s basically an endorsement of what we’re doing.”

“Your voice is being heard,” Cruz told the crowd as truckers, drivers and supporters held up their phones and cameras to capture his speech. “What the men and women want here is for the government to leave you the hell alone. ... That is the most American sentiment you could imagine.”

Brase said the convoy will continue to protest until mandates for health workers, federal employees and military personnel are eliminated, but he warned the convoy against heading into the capital.

“If you deviate from the plan, meaning you decide to break rank and bring your happy butts down to D.C. proper ... you are not representing the People’s Convoy in doing that,” he said. “Do not do that. Stick to the plan ... It’s working. They’re coming here now.”

Brase has insisted that the group won’t leave the region until the mandates are lifted. The convoy of big rigs, RVs and pickups began circling the Beltway on Sunday, repeating the demonstration on Monday and Tuesday. The group rested on Wednesday due to rainy weather and concerns about safety on the roads. Thursday would be the fourth day of protest on the Beltway.

Brase and other convoy leaders met with Cruz and Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) on Tuesday morning in the Capitol to discuss their demands and grievances. While no direct action came from the meeting, Brase said he saw it as a step in the right direction.

Convoy leadership also met on Tuesday afternoon with some Republican members of the House Transportation Committee to discuss their shared concerns over pandemic-related mandates. Along with ending federal mandates, convoy members are calling for an end to the national emergency declaration that was first issued by President Donald Trump in March 2020 and later extended by President Biden.

The group’s leaders have also called for Congress to hold hearings investigating the government’s response to the pandemic, and urged people around the country to start organizing in their state capitals.

The group came to the D.C. region over the weekend with some of its members coming from Adelanto, Calif., and have set up at the Hagerstown Speedway, more than an hour outside of the city.

Law enforcement authorities in Virginia and Maryland said there have been no reported incidents from the convoy’s circling of the Beltway other than some minor congestion. The convoy said it was joined by another 150 cars and trucks when they reached Hagerstown Speedway.

There have been no arrests, towed vehicles or infractions as a result of the convoy, officials said.

It is not exactly clear when the convoy plans to leave the D.C. region. Brase, a 37-year-old trucker from Ohio, had said at one point they planned to stay in Hagerstown through at least Saturday but has also said they may stay longer to get more meetings with politicians.

• Thank You 5

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

It is not exactly clear when the convoy plans to leave the D.C. region. Brase, a 37-year-old trucker from Ohio, had said at one point they planned to stay in Hagerstown through at least Saturday but has also said they may stay longer to get more meetings with politicians.

From Hagerstown Speedway's Facebook page:

image.png.06826c2a41e5953c406569e9de4e05af.png

They also cancelled last weekend's "Test and Tune" session.

According to their schedule, racing season starts in sixteen days:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.11d9484eabda511a476fc1b51be0f95b.png

:shrug:

• Thank You 4

The fuck your feelings crowd has a sad. 

Being a member of the trucker convoy currently circling the D.C. Beltway is for the birds ― literally.

That’s because many of the vehicles sharing the freeway with the so-called People’s Convoy protesters are showing disdain for the group’s willingness to tie up traffic over vaccine mandates that are either already gone or phasing out by flipping the bird at the participating trucks.

The Daily Beast’s Zachary Petrizzo interviewed one trucker who wasn’t thrilled by the reactions of other drivers.

“We go around the Beltway, birds are flying. Birds are flying everywhere. That’s the kind of people that live up there,” the unidentified protester said.

Someone should tell this fuck stick that the kind of people that live there are ones that are sick of the bullshit. 

• Upvote 10

Many people are saying that The Beltway always wins. Always. 

And I can't believe these idiots are still driving in circles.  There was a suggestion among truckers to flood 911 with calls about drivers being mean and flipping the bird, which of all the bad ideas they've come up with, that's the worst.  It's also possibly illegal to call 911 with non-emergency issues, right?  Don't know if they actually followed through on this.   There's also crappy weather forecast for tomorrow, maybe snow, so hopefully they'll decide to head south. 

• Upvote 9