IGNORED

Maxwell 52: Retired Vests, Retired Blog, and Retired Maxwells

Coconut Flan

10 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

And, unless that opening still shot is from their honeymoon, the couple did not save their first kiss for the altar!

When I watched them kiss after being pronounced husband and wife I thought, "Oh, these two know exactly what they're doing."  No awkwardness that I could see.

And good for them.

• Upvote 11

A lot of the ‘asking dad’s permission’ is more of a tradition than an actual need for approval. I got married in my 30’s, and my now-husband asked me if he should contact my father to ask for permission. I told him no, because it wouldn’t have actually made a difference. I’ve had friends whose fiancés contacted the fathers, but it was a formality more than anything. Of course, none of us were teenagers at the time. 

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

On 6/15/2022 at 12:06 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Some teen camp pics were posted and I didn’t spot Anna. But there are tons of people there so it’s not surprising. However what struck me was how much I wished Abbie Maxwell could go. I feel bad for her being the oldest of all the grandkids. I always wonder if she ever gets to spend long amounts of time with teens her age. She probably doesn’t get to do sleepovers. I don’t know if she’s in many teen church groups. But I bet she would love that camp and getting some independence.

I was thinking the same thing.  But I guess if you let one kid go, you have to let all of them go.  Maybe Nathan doesn't have much money.  

• Upvote 3

Not too long ago I came across a church bulletin. I don't remember if I was looking for something (I had to have been for them to come up in a search, but I have no clue what) and for that particular Sunday, Abby was working in the church nursery. 

It may not be much, but it is something. She is interacting with other humans. Of course, as she learns to do her future duty properly and take care of the kids. But, Steve's daughters had nothing like that. 

Edited: Browsing the church bulletins trying to find the one that lists Abby in the nursery I found this one. Go to page 4.  Much more interesting....

https://faithconnector.s3.amazonaws.com/opendoorinfo/downloads/04032022_bulletin.pdf

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 14

6 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Not too long ago I came across a church bulletin. I don't remember if I was looking for something (I had to have been for them to come up in a search, but I have no clue what) and for that particular Sunday, Abby was working in the church nursery. 

It may not be much, but it is something. She is interacting with other humans. Of course, as she learns to do her future duty properly and take care of the kids. But, Steve's daughters had nothing like that. 

I feel bad for her because she has always been the oldest and likely the one in charge of kids. What if she doesn’t like babysitting? That would suck.

• Upvote 7

What this tells me is that they are attending a regular, not family integrated, church. By that I mean there is nursery, youth group, Sunday School.  Steve was big on avoiding anything that would split a family up, which is one reason they wound up in Nursing Home Church.  By Abbie helping in the nursery(and I knew a lot of teen girls who really loves doing that), they’re tacitly agreeing with the family separation that so horrified Steve back in the day.  I strongly suspect the kids are also going to junior church, AWANA, and youth group.  Steve must be dying inside. 
Also, good for Mary!  I hope this is a good experience for her.

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/150618-i-went-to-a-steve-teri-maxwell-workshop-last-night/

this is a review of a 2010 Maxwell workshop and discussed by their target audience—conservative homeschooling Moms.  The takeaway is that the Maxwells were far too insular and everything they spoke on was basically not allowing your children to be exposed to influences outside your family.  It is amazing to me how much has changed 12 years later without a single word of explanation.

Edited by sableduck
  • Upvote 13
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Edited: Browsing the church bulletins trying to find the one that lists Abby in the nursery I found this one. Go to page 4.  Much more interesting....

https://faithconnector.s3.amazonaws.com/opendoorinfo/downloads/04032022_bulletin.pdf

So she's going to South Africa.  Didn't we just hear about a certain young man going to South Africa, with a quick stopover in Kansas?  I'm truly happy for her.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, Fun-Dee said:

So she's going to South Africa.  Didn't we just hear about a certain young man going to South Africa, with a quick stopover in Kansas?  I'm truly happy for her.  

Total coincidence I'm sure!!! : ).     

Nomination for future thread title: Steve's Vest Deferens

The Blackwells (the missionaries she is going with): https://www.fellowshiplakeland.com/missions/blackwells-south-africa/

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Florita said:

Samuel Hock - BMW (biblicalministries.org)

What a coincidence! Samuel's internship is also with the Blackwells! 😉

At least this won't be a fundie marriage where we say, "they don't even know each other!" Seems like Mary and Sam will know each other pretty well by the time they marry, if they marry.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

I have mixed feelings about Mary's travels. I'm glad Mary is getting to travel, see the world, experience love, and have adventures. I also think it's great she and Anna have summer plans and are doing different things this summer. 

I generally don't like foreign missions. I think a lot of them do more harm than good, especially if the main point is to convert people. From the link @HereticHick posted for the Blackwells:

South Africa is an amazing mix of 1st and 3rd world conditions.  The cities are large and pretty modern, yet with shanty towns on the outskirts. The rural areas are either colonial looking or traditionally African.  Over 60% of the population lives in the urban areas, so that’s why we are planting churches in Cape Town… a city of 4 million people.

Colonization and apartheid (racial segregation) have left a bitter history, but democratic elections held in 1994 have given everyone a voice.  There are yet many hurdles, such as unemployment above 35%, housing shortages, education and health problems.  BUT, South Africa is a very religious country.  People are open to talking about God, and the Gospel is unhindered!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

When and how did someone here first discover that Mary had a potential love interest? I follow the Maxwell threads, but I can't for the life of me remember how we found out about this.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, molecule said:

When and how did someone here first discover that Mary had a potential love interest? I follow the Maxwell threads, but I can't for the life of me remember how we found out about this.

I thought we just noticed that she was always sitting next to him in ABC pics--and he was easy to ID because he's on the soccer team and in one of the musical groups--and then I thought someone figured out that the Maxwells and Hocks knew each other?

• Upvote 11

11 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I thought we just noticed that she was always sitting next to him in ABC pics--and he was easy to ID because he's on the soccer team and in one of the musical groups--and then I thought someone figured out that the Maxwells and Hocks knew each other?

This. I think it was more a gradual suspicion, a piecing together of evidence, and then the final sort of aha moment. Not unlike an installment of a good 'cozy mystery' book series. 🤣

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 9

They were constantly sitting next to one another in pictures. They were obvious friends. But as time went on, it seemed more and more likely they were “together.”

• Upvote 8

You shelter your kids to the point where they don't even play outside with the neighborhood children, force them to only have siblings for friends, and one of them runs off with her boyfriend to Africa.  Oh Steve, where did you go wrong?  Way to go Mary! Steal a kiss in the moonlight while you're there.  It's really okay.   

• Upvote 28
  • Rufus Bless 1

14 hours ago, molecule said:

They were seen together in various photos but for some of us it was pretty clear when they posted the results of the T-Day 5K and Sam and Mary, who were also photographed sort of strolling side by side during the event posted very slow-and matching-times, whereas Anna ran a good race.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

whereas Anna ran a good race.

I always thought that Anna could have been a good athlete. Really, all the Maxwells are in good shape physically. However, I always felt had Anna been allowed to do sports she would have really enjoyed them. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

15 hours ago, Loveday said:

This. I think it was more a gradual suspicion, a piecing together of evidence, and then the final sort of aha moment. Not unlike an installment of a good 'cozy mystery' book series. 🤣

We do have fun. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 2

Now I want to know where Mary has been going on her summer mission trips the last couple years, and has Samuel been involved? She may have been going to Uruguay for all we know.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

On 6/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, fundiefan said:

I hate everything about this - her description of what she'll be doing, the liberal use of the word bush, her excitement that she'll be speaking in English...just all of it is ugh. 

I guess I'm glad she's leaving her family, but this whole mission trip is super cringe.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 13

On 5/24/2022 at 7:55 PM, MomJeans said:

More than anything, I hope those girls have found their way to a kindle unlimited subscription or the like.  I don't care that they read "liberal" or "racy" choices-  just that they find the joy of reading.  

Same! If they are able to read just because that would be great. Beverly Lewis and Kingsbury might be 2 authors for them to start with, Christian fiction with romance and kisses before marriage. And some have a little mystery also.

Same with tv/movies. Someone mentioned sex in the city, I don't think they have to go that far, for their sheltered selves the Hallmark Movie Mysteries would be a good start. Almost all have a strong woman lead. Even Gilmore Girls would be scandalous in Maxwell world and I think we all can agree it is a pretty tame show. 

Any of these choices would be a good babystep! 

• WTF 1

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Now I want to know where Mary has been going on her summer mission trips the last couple years, and has Samuel been involved? She may have been going to Uruguay for all we know.

Do you think there are any old blogs from the Blackwell's missions we could find and perhaps spot a Maxwell. I am not a great internet sleuth but maybe someone else is. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SisterCupcake said:

I guess I'm glad she's leaving her family, but this whole mission trip is super cringe.

Being completely honest here. I’ve never read about a Christian mission overseas that wasn’t super cringe. This is much of what I expected from a Max daughter. That’s why I was hoping they would go to ABC for a teaching degree. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic