IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 48: "Happy New Year to You [,Josh]... In Jail!"

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Until a few days ago I thought the food they got in prison was along the lines of hospital food or public school meals without the choice.  I learn so much from you guys.

I was just thinking every time I've been hospitalized looking forward to meals was the highlight.  Food wasn't amazing, but was good and it broke up my inner conflict between pain and boredom.  Everyone in my family is like that, the excitement of filling out the menu...we could just be weirdos without hobbies.

He won't even have those to look forward to as bad as some of you say they are.  I am glad Anna can't run down there with Chickenetti and Bundt cake to spare him from being treated like everyone else.  

My cousin ( he has since passed on) was part of a 1%'er motorcycle club.  Those are the big bad ones, not the Riding club kind.

Anyway,  you bet I checked out all his biker friends SM. They have a surprising sm presence.   I learned about jail food and commissary delights such as, Ramen noodles mixed dry with mayo packets and salt/pepper to make a dip to be used with saltines or scooped with paper if no crackers.  They had a name for it, I forget.   It's all worse than we imagine.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

was just thinking every time I've been hospitalized looking forward to meals was the highlight.  Food wasn't amazing, but was good and it broke up my inner conflict between pain and boredom.  Everyone in my family is like that, the excitement of filling out the menu...we could just be weirdos without hobbies.

You reminded me of my only hospital stay when my baby was born.  I'm still talking about the rubber pancakes two decades later.  That breakfast was so bad I didn't order another thing for the two days I was there.  My sister brought me a hamburger from McDonald's, and it's pretty sad that that was more appealing than anything on the hospital menu.

Maybe things have improved since then, but I hope I never find out :)

• Upvote 6

Website just says they can schedule visits, either online or at the jail.

All visits there are virtual due to covid.  They can either pay a fee to visit online, or visit for free if they go to lock up to use the kiosks with a phone and video screen.

Limit is two adults and two children and the adults have to be on the approved visitor list.  Idk how that works with doing it virtually from home, Maybe someone monitors the calls and would kill the feed if more people jumped on the call, but they couldn't police other people sitting in if they were out of the camera line.

If I were in their shoes, I would definitely do the visiting via internet connection since they can’t do face-to-face.  Why go all the way to the jail if you aren’t going to see the inmate in person?

I wonder if, with co-operation from the guards/whoever is supervising, they might allow more than 2 kids to say “Hello Daddy, Merry Christmas” if they take turns on the Internet visit

I don’t care about Josh, but if the kids wanted to, that would be a kind thing that could easily be done.  (I understand that the limit of two is to prevent the screen to get too full for the supervising guard to “miss” something he shouldn’t.  If the kids take turns and don’t have any meaningful conversation, then there would be nothing for the guards to “miss.”

I wonder if the two adults would be Anna and JB or Anna and Michelle.

• Upvote 2

My mom was recently in a hospital (central Oklahoma, USA) and she pretty much complimented most of the food. She then moved to a rehab facility within a typical nursing center and while the breakfasts were decent at best, everything else was pretty bad and she didn't eat much. It was a great motivator for her to work hard, she even did extra work, in PT and OT so she could get out of Dodge ASAP.

• Upvote 10

Skimmed through, but in case it wasn’t covered — Back on the Kosher beverages. Here is a link to the religious compliant menu for federal prisons for 2021. The reasons some beverages would be designated Kosher, is because it’s at a meal where there is a choice of beverages- some of which are kosher. Note on the menu where they get to choose a beverage.  There are also a many entrees where there are  Kosher and Halal versions. Otherwise I’d assume this menu complies with both, without choices for other options. I believe prisoners sign up for the religious compliant menu on being processed. 
https://www.bop.gov/foia/docs/Certified_Religious_Diet_FY2021_(Halal-Kosher).pdf

ps- I love hospital food! It’s fun to get to pick among the options. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

I was in the hospital for a week a couple years ago post surgery. Eating was a struggle and all I was able to get down was applesauce, juice, saltines, and popsicles. I hadn't had a popsicles in decades and it was wonderful! Though I'm not able to comment on the actual food, I was impressed with the ordering system. I was given a menu and when I was ready, phoned the kitchen and ordered. The food was sent up pretty quickly. It was almost like being in a hotel except for having tubes going in and out of me and the unrelenting pain.

Edited by So-Virgin-It-Hurts
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 12

I was astoundingly lucky during my overnight hospital stay when I had my knee replacement surgery. The “room service menu”—yes, that’s what they called it—had really good food. You could tell that the fat and sodium were reduced, but it was delicious anyway. Most memorable were the Caprese salad and pita chips with hummus I had for post-op dinner.

• Upvote 9

Back in October when I had to spend a few days at the hospital the food was pretty good.  I gravitated towards the beef and mashed potaters when they were available along with the ice cream.   

• Upvote 5

I was in the hospital a few years ago, after an anaphylactic reaction to a chemo treatment.  I was there six days, and never saw a menu.  They had me on regular food (not liquid or soft) but they ground it all up!  Imagine  ground-up bacon at breakfast.  I did step up to chopped and the last day I had some of the best lasagna I have ever eaten; that might have been because it wasn't ground up or chopped.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

Hospital food in 🇬🇧 UK is vile and not diabetic friendly at all. I had to get husband to bring in food when I had my gallbladder surgery. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 5

32 minutes ago, Hane said:

I was astoundingly lucky during my overnight hospital stay when I had my knee replacement surgery. The “room service menu”—yes, that’s what they called it—had really good food. You could tell that the fat and sodium were reduced, but it was delicious anyway. Most memorable were the Caprese salad and pita chips with hummus I had for post-op dinner.

I was in a psych hospital for 2 months and they had amazing food. I still think about the food there sometimes 

• Love 13

48 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

I was in the hospital a few years ago, after an anaphylactic reaction to a chemo treatment.  I was there six days, and never saw a menu.  They had me on regular food (not liquid or soft) but they ground it all up!  Imagine  ground-up bacon at breakfast.  I did step up to chopped and the last day I had some of the best lasagna I have ever eaten; that might have been because it wasn't ground up or chopped.

When I had my vertical sleeve surgery in 2017 they ordered all the food for us and had our rooms marked so the people delivering the food went to the nurses station with the food and the nurses brought our food in.  It was an all liquid diet for the time I was in the hospital.  I didn't get back to solid food for a couple weeks after the surgery.  I did not eat very much during that time. 

• Upvote 7

Mr. No was in the hospital a couple of times in late 2015 / early 2016.   He had no food restrictions and the menu had some pretty good selections.  According to him it was all good.

MIL was in this hospital a couple of years ago, she ordered a gluten-free chocolate cake which she decided not to eat and I was ready to devour it just sitting there, it looked that good. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Beermeet said:

My cousin ( he has since passed on) was part of a 1%'er motorcycle club.  Those are the big bad ones, not the Riding club kind.

Anyway,  you bet I checked out all his biker friends SM. They have a surprising sm presence.   I learned about jail food and commissary delights such as, Ramen noodles mixed dry with mayo packets and salt/pepper to make a dip to be used with saltines or scooped with paper if no crackers.  They had a name for it, I forget.   It's all worse than we imagine.  

Amazon offers a selection of prison cookbooks featuring recipes used by inmates.  Here's an example of one.  The recipes were compiled by six female inmates in Texas, using commissary items to create the recipes.  The proceeds from this particular book are donated to The Justice Institute, who works on the behalf of wrongly convicted people.  

https://www.amazon.com/Big-House-Your-Cooking-Prison/dp/1453644318/ref=asc_df_1453644318?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80333120351805&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932709117333&psc=1   

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 9

When I had my daughter in April 2020 it was the beginning of the pandemic so we were all just figuring things out. The hospital had a restaurant including a cafeteria and the restaurant was giving away free meals to patients and their support people to keep people from coming and going from the hospital to get food (I'm guessing the hospital was paying for it, I have no idea how that was working financially). So anyway all that to say, we ate amazing that hospital stay. Good quality restaurant food. Different stuff every day and the most delicious pizza. I still think about that pizza, man. It was so good. They still offered the usual hospital stuff and it wasn't bad, per se, on par with like a hotel continental breakfast, but that restaurant, if it wasn't in a hospital 45 mins from me, I'd be getting take out from there regularly. 

• Upvote 17

10 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Until a few days ago I thought the food they got in prison was along the lines of hospital food or public school meals without the choice.  I learn so much from you guys.

I was just thinking every time I've been hospitalized looking forward to meals was the highlight.  Food wasn't amazing, but was good and it broke up my inner conflict between pain and boredom.  Everyone in my family is like that, the excitement of filling out the menu...we could just be weirdos without hobbies.

He won't even have those to look forward to as bad as some of you say they are.  I am glad Anna can't run down there with Chickenetti and Bundt cake to spare him from being treated like everyone else.  

All prison food isn't created equal. I can only speak for my own experience but when I spent some time in a smaller mountain county jail the food was date I say... decent? Definitely equivilent to the local school cafeteria fare in the area which is basic Sisco type stuff that meets the government requirements of "nutrition" but because it's done in much smaller amounts and batches the quality is better. They had a wicked good chocolate cake for dessert sometimes. They didn't have a canteen/commissary though. Men and women were kept in the same facility and it was really lonely. I looked it up and the year I was there the average was 8 women at any one time and about 310 men. But that also might have been for the entire year, not counting the holding cells. Definitely a huge disproportion and not enough for two separate facilities. Less human contact better food.

While I was in a big city jail, the food was rubbish. I shudder thinking about the standard lunch of the nastiest driest roll, sometimes with mold spots, and what I guess was some sort of random lunch meat with big black spots all over it. The only thing I could ever stomach was the milk carton. Yuck. The other food was bare minimum as well. I've been in both a regular psych ward and a military psych ward and while the food in either was nothing to write home about it seemed downright gourmet compared to Denver City. I've also heard DOC or Dep of Correcrions what prison (sentences longer than a year and no one on pre trial, bond, pre sentencing etc. That is who ianin jail) is called in Colorado, in the women's DOC and a couple of the mens, is much better than the worst jails but not as good as the best ones if that makes sense.

Different states, cities and counties have different contracts for food service. What I got in a county jail in the rural western part of the state was different than city jail in Denver and thats different than any of the federal facilities in the state. I've heard the for profit private jails have some of the most disgusting trash that shouldn't be considered food, stuff thats rejected from other institutions, bought for pennies on the dollar, and any scraps get reused no matter how gross or off they've turned.

10 hours ago, Bobology said:

Maybe the calls ARE monitored and that is where the fee goes. If other Duggar adults were in the background off camera, what is the chance they could all be quiet? I think they'd be busted.

Yes and no... technically the calls are all "monitored" except for ones with your lawyer who has to be verified and registered in advance with the jail. But no one sits and watches them unless there's a specific reason or concern. They're really just recorded and stored just in case.

The fees go directly into the pockets of the CEO of for profit prison and probation companies that run far too many criminal "justice" system components now. Even when I was on pretrial I paid $25 per UA (urineanalysis for drugs and alcohol) 5 x a month plus a $50 per month "monitoring" fee where I had to call their voice mail daily and leave a message with my name. Between the $2500 rental fee for my ankle bracelet plus $8 a day for the 90 day sentence of my plea agreement that was commuted to house monitoring because I was incredibly ill and in a wheelchair at the time and the $25 a pop UAs which I did between pre trial of 1 1/2 years when I was still legally innocent of any crime, then the 6 years of probation... I paid out of pocket $11,250 just to piss in front of a minimum wage untrained worker that makes McDonald's employees look like trained professionals. For all the services combined? Closer to $20k, not counting my lawyer or the fees that were part of my sentence which were aboit $6k, drug sentences in Colorado include a $3k flat fee.

The UAs cost a couple bucks a pop with the huge contacts GEO Corp and their probation monitoring subsidiary BI have. It was slightly less because when I was in Denver they were $12 but there was one employee there who charged me $25 (and its all in cash if you have to use debit you pay for the business fee BI is charged plus some) and when I tried to fight it he said I could pay him or he could fail me for the day which could potentially put me in jail and even void my probation and give me a 20-35 year prison sentence that was the minimum mandatory sentence of the non violent drug charge I had no choice but to plead out to.

BI is owned by GEO corp and is a multi billion dollar private prison corporation. They also own actual for profit prisons and worse for profit juvenile detentions and immigrant detaining centers that are akin to internment camps. Obama started to take action against this corrupt system but Trump undid everything. GEO Corp is based out of Florida and donated a disgusting amount to Trump. Millions of dollars and even more that was donated illegally.

They lobby for stricter prison sentences for non violent drug crimes and other "blue collar" crimes (never white collar stuff like tax evasion, running Ponzi investment schemes, etc.) They are in charge of pre trial, probation and parole in most jurisdictions in the US now in some capacity. Luckily Colorado still had government run probation officers but all other services, UAs, house arrest monitoring,  car breathalyzers (something they make millions on alone), etc. In some states they actually are the probation officers. This is horrifying because a good probation officer should be fair and their goal is to have their clients fulfil their sentences as well as helping reduce the chance of recidivism. This would be like making a client like myself who was an opiate addict, join and stay in compliance with a methadone clinic (which is what saved my life and turned things around for me) have them go to group or individual counseling, go to parenting classes...

Government POs are supposed to have at least an AA or a BA in Criminal Justice and complete continuing education. My PO also did the county's sex offenders and she had a specialized degree in that.If you can't tell, I love my PO she was amazing and we're still in touch. She cares so much but doesn't let you BS her around. If you try she'll be your best advocate, if not she'll make sure your consequences are tough but fair. At BI they use untrained, uneducated people who are there to enforce company profits. They have shitty jobs and get paid absolutely nothing and there's been so many times I, or people I've seen in various offices, get screwed legally because an employee doesn't like you, is in a shitty mood or worst, is a racist/sexist POS. You can file complaints but no one listens to criminals. Their company makes money keeping people in the system yet they're in charge of very pricey "rehabilitative" services. It's a huge conflict of interest that wouldn't be allowed elsewhere. 

The for profit prisons are the same. Their guards are less strictly vetted, less education, really just a HS diploma or GED is required,  they're paid less and the results are a lot of prisoner's rights being violated. Very few education, addiction rehab and job training courses are offered vs. government facilities which saves money and makes prisoners more likely to offend. 

These days with the for profit companies that run most prisoner communication systems, the calls are "monitored" for your average prisoner as in they're recorded and then if there's a reason to go back and watch/listen, usually something requested by a prosecutor or police. The cost is NOT for someone to sit and ensure each conversation is acceptable. The county jail isn't Supermax. The money is for CEO, board and shareholders profits. 

For profit call systems seem innocuous but they're outrageous expensive I think I've heard places that charge $1+ a minute and that's on top of ridiculous fees and upcharges, that can add 50 cents per minute alone.  More and more prisons and jails,, especially but not only the for profit ones, had done away with in person visitations before COVID for costs. Some still make families travel to the prison or jail only to sit and use a monitored Skype like device. COVID only ensured all prisons and jails now use this for profit service for all prisoner visits. It apparently is a 1 billion a year industry and it comes out of the pockets of the poorest families and at the expense of prisoners. Women, who's prison population rate has exploded because of non violent drug crimes having such high sentences and minimum mandatories that don't allow parole, and the majority of whom have children, are disproportionately affected.  Innocent children are impacted without regular communication from their parents in most situations (definitely not Josh).

Sorry for ranting but GEO Corp is the bane of my existence. I almost got kicked out and violated while waiting to do a UA (some places I waited up to 2 hours) and was talking with fellow "offenders". I mentioned how ridiculous it is that they're for profit and only make money if we stay in the system and new people are arrested and sentenced, the longer the better, but yet we're sitting here supposedly for rehabilitative services? We're talking low level offenders, drugs, property crimes,  people who couldn't pay court fees and got longer sentences. This was one of those super long frustrating waits, most of us had jobs to get to and things like that and they only had 1 person doing UAs for the 50 or so of us stuffed in the dumpy office building, wherever the lowest rent space is in an area is where their office will be even if its not ADA accessible (thats a different issue where they demanded I crawl up wooden outdoor falling apart steps covered in snow and ice when I was in a wheelchair because I had another episode of paralysis from the waist down). The conversation spread, no one was yelling or threatening but the room was pretty heated. Finally the "manager" of that location came out and pulled me into her office threatening to violate me, not let me do a UA drop another violation and even calling the police on me. I shut up it wasn't worth going to jail and spending another 10k for all the additional years of services.

Edited by zee_four
Somehow part of my post was missing so I had to add it
  • Upvote 5
  • Sad 7
  • Thank You 16
  • Love 6

52 minutes ago, zee_four said:

I paid out of pocket $11,250 just to piss in front of a minimum wage untrained worker that makes McDonald's employees look like trained professionals. For all the services combined?

My husband worked at a lab that had the contract for Clark County. He was a trained professional, certified as a lab tech and a phlebotomist. He did the initial training that included something like 100 hours of an internship at a local hospital, was certified to access central lines and picc lines and also run EKGs. He also was required to complete continuing education credits every year to keep his license current. So, no he was not a minimum wage untrained worker. He was paid in accordance with his education and skills.

I know some of the system is bullshit, my daughter did both state (in Colorado) time and federal time (in West Virginia).  Her state time was done in Canon City. She also spent time in JeffCo and Arapahoe County jails. 

• Upvote 8

19 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

My husband worked at a lab that had the contract for Clark County. He was a trained professional, certified as a lab tech and a phlebotomist. He did the initial training that included something like 100 hours of an internship at a local hospital, was certified to access central lines and picc lines and also run EKGs. He also was required to complete continuing education credits every year to keep his license current. So, no he was not a minimum wage untrained worker. He was paid in accordance with his education and skills.

I know some of the system is bullshit, my daughter did both state (in Colorado) time and federal time (in West Virginia).  Her state time was done in Canon City. She also spent time in JeffCo and Arapahoe County jails. 

Oh I completely understand that. I totally see how that might have come across with what I said. I should definitely clarify, the untrained minimum wage workers are the staff at BI. The people who watch you pee and put it in a cup and then send it off to very well educated and trained professionals like your husband.

My issue is that specifically, BI and other for profit GEO Corp entities are the ones providing services that previously were held by government agencies which generally had education and training requirements that BI and GEO Corp does not. Government POs vs. the BI staff. State and federal DOC employees vs the for profit prison that have no requirements for their guards and have been known to hire people who were fired for misconduct, incompetence, etc. from state and federal facilities.

This is all to further increase their profits and bonus, with such shitty staff recidivism increases which only increass profits more.

I'm anti for profit prison industrial complex system and believe that the criminal justice system should be run by the government, not for profit, and with trained professional at all levels, people like your husband and like my main probation officer in Eagle. 

That was definitely my bad for not communicating that clearly! Sorry!

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, zee_four said:

20-35 year prison sentence that was the minimum mandatory sentence of the non violent drug charge I had no choice but to plead out to.

I don't know what world we live in where  non-violent drug offense starts at the max for CSAM, but it needs to change.  Harming children needs to be taken a lot more seriously by tptb.

On 12/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, imokit said:

Even if Josh only does 8 years, there's a good chance he'll miss Mack's future wedding and the birth of his first grandchild (and possibly other grandchildren).

He's never seemed to be an involved father, I can't imagine missing milestones of the kids live is anywhere near as upsetting as going without his partitioned drive and fast food.

11 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Amazon offers a selection of prison cookbooks featuring recipes used by inmates.  Here's an example of one.  The recipes were compiled by six female inmates in Texas, using commissary items to create the recipes.  The proceeds from this particular book are donated to The Justice Institute, who works on the behalf of wrongly convicted people.  

https://www.amazon.com/Big-House-Your-Cooking-Prison/dp/1453644318/ref=asc_df_1453644318?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80333120351805&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932709117333&psc=1   

That is impressive, they are McGyvering recipes out of random convenience foods!  I am officially ashamed of myself for all the times yesterday I opened a fridge full of groceries and Christmas dinner leftovers and complained there was nothing I wanted to eat.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, zee_four said:

I'm anti for profit prison industrial complex system and believe that the criminal justice system should be run by the government, not for profit, and with trained professional at all levels, people like your husband and like my main probation officer in Eagle. 

I agree completely. I work for the courts and it makes me bristle when I hear people say we don't need "socialism" - courts/police/public education/county health departments, etc. are all socialist programs because for-profit companies will start having us like other countries where the family needs to bring the prisoners or people in the hospital food and supplies. For-profit companies have no business running programs that are for everyone. 

~ Switch gears ~

I read a local obit this weekend. It stated the person had connections with reformers unanimous. I about fell out of my chair, as I immediately thought of smugger. I had to look up the church for the funeral service, sure enough it is a KJV only. I had to google to see if this person was mentioned in the abuse allegations at RU (the person wasn't mentioned, nor has this person been mentioned on FJ). 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Dang, there are a lot of prison cookbooks.  That's actually a very interesting book!  TY

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

I am curious about this.  Can any inmate cook? (Do they have access to microwaves and/or hot pots or whatever?)  Or is it only those assigned to kitchen duty?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

We need prison reform badly.  For one, I don't think anyone who isn't violent and a threat to society should be there.  Period.  We lost sight there, imo.  We have far too many women incarcerated for nonviolent crimes, they need help and to get back to their families if they have them.  Young men as well, getting a record for drugs leaves them with less options to move forward in life, creating a circle back to jail.  Which, if it's for profit,  makes the legal criminals very happy.  It's not good for the health of our society to do this to people who haven't murdered,  raped, molested,  downloading csam and the actual bad stuff.  Beating women should move to that list as well.  Much longer sentences for rape.  I mean, wtaf?!   

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 23

4 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

We need prison reform badly.  For one, I don't think anyone who isn't violent and a threat to society should be there.  Period.  We lost sight there, imo.  We have far too many women incarcerated for nonviolent crimes, they need help and to get back to their families if they have them.  Young men as well, getting a record for drugs leaves them with less options to move forward in life, creating a circle back to jail.  Which, if it's for profit,  makes the legal criminals very happy.  It's not good for the health of our society to do this to people who haven't murdered,  raped, molested,  downloading csam and the actual bad stuff.  Beating women should move to that list as well.  Much longer sentences for rape.  I mean, wtaf?!   

I'd agree 100% except for me it's more than beating women, but for domestic violence in general.  Also animal cruelty.  IANAL so don't know how to word it, but we need to be able to legally differentiate those who prey upon the vulnerable.  

The way we deal with non-violent crimes now creates more violent offenders...we need a better solution.  And we need to take addiction seriously, those in for non-violent personal use need treatment.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 16
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I read a local obit this weekend. It stated the person had connections with reformers unanimous. I about fell out of my chair, as I immediately thought of smugger.

The IFB church down the road from my last apartment complex had a RU chapter, but the last time I went past it, the sign was gone, so I don’t think it’s still there.

I'd agree 100% except for me it's more than beating women, but for domestic violence in general.

I’ve always believed that if we need a sex-offender registry, we should also have a domestic-violence registry.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
fixed quote box
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic