IGNORED

Jinjer 57: The Seemingly Infinite Seminary Rolls On

Coconut Flan

Baptism in Anglican/Catholic Churches vs. evangelical churches is completely different. Infant baptism is most like an evangelical baby dedication (though for Catholics, it's a sacrament). 

Let's not forget that there is a lot of shame and guilt involved in JinJer's brand of Christianity. Often evangelicals use re-baptism as a renewal of faith  It doesn't mean they were never saved nor is baptism necessary for salvation. Maybe Jinger recently felt she strengthened her faith even more and so was baptized. She likely was also shamed for being a human being (it's John MacArthur's flock after all) and felt it was necessary.

Re-baptism isn't usually necessary to become a member of a new evangelical church if you were already baptized. Typically you just transfer your membership.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1

The term confirmation class stood out earlier.  

A lot of. Protestant churches don’t have confirmation classes, especially for adults.  If you have been previously baptized in a Christian church, they accept it.  And membership is essentially transferred if you were a member of a different church including other denominations.  I’ve heard Baptist family members talk about their “letter” being transferred and once was a member of a non denominational baptist oriented church that would write a letter to someone’s new church.  

I was first baptized (sprinkled) to become a member of a United Methodist church and yes, I seem to recall that the baptism was a membership requirement (granted that was nearly 40 years ago).  

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2021 at 6:44 PM, Nutella Ace said:

Googling around it sounds like the 8 children that were re-baptized in the Jordan River were Joe, Joy, Jed, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin, and Jackson (but I didn't rewatch the whole episode to confirm).

Sounds like all the kids who were tweens/teens at the time - but where was Josiah? Was that when he was living at Alert for a long time? 

I love typos - Trinidadian formula.  How does that work instead of our regular trinitarian?  😁

The priest doing chrismation class described one church that baptized by throwing rose petals over a person.  😁

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Let's not forget that there is a lot of shame and guilt involved in JinJer's brand of Christianity. Often evangelicals use re-baptism as a renewal of faith  It doesn't mean they were never saved nor is baptism necessary for salvation. Maybe Jinger recently felt she strengthened her faith even more and so was baptized. She likely was also shamed for being a human being (it's John MacArthur's flock after all) and felt it was necessary.

I tried to listen to Jinger's testimony and wasn't able to. Had to stop after about 90 seconds. This is the total opposite of a "living faith" - she's in robot mode, saying all the "right" things, using Christianese, evangelical-fundamentalist jargon. If it is her unique, personal experience of meeting Jesus as her personal saviour and re-dedicating her life to him, why can't she express it in her own words?

In fact, I'm a bit worried that this is just another "performance" that she feels she has to put up with in order to "earn" her "right to exist"... This time it's Jeremy's approval she's after instead of JimBob's.

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 4

I agree. All is not well with Jinger. She's trying sooooo hard to be who she thinks she should be (who parents, Jeremy, have told her), not who she is. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 13

8 hours ago, bal maiden said:

I agree. All is not well with Jinger. She's trying sooooo hard to be who she thinks she should be (who parents, Jeremy, have told her), not who she is. 

It’s kind of ironic that this site was called “free jinger” because she seemed like the most likely older girl  to want independence —- but of all the daughters she turned out to be the most compliant to other peoples opinions! Her other sisters, while far from rebels, definitely seem like stronger, less people pleasing personalities. There’s nothing wrong with being a follower, or passive, but it’s kind of funny that except for being kind of artsy/eye folly as a teen - she’s the meekest of the lot. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 23

Jinger is just doing whatever Jeremy wants Jinger to do. She has not at any point shown any independent thought or action taken. Remember the Jeremy loves books, Jinger loves Jeremy, so Jinger loves books. Jinger is the perfect, subservient, meek wife her parents raised her to be and Jeremy wants her to be. She just gets to wear pretty clothes. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 16

46 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Jinger is just doing whatever Jeremy wants Jinger to do. She has not at any point shown any independent thought or action taken. Remember the Jeremy loves books, Jinger loves Jeremy, so Jinger loves books. Jinger is the perfect, subservient, meek wife her parents raised her to be and Jeremy wants her to be. She just gets to wear pretty clothes. 

True. And not  everyone is a deep thinker, or a leader. When she was at home, it seems like Jessa was her go-to. Now it’s her husband. I don’t think she’d be much different even if she wasn’t part of a patriarchal cult - but it sure reinforced it. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

This is speculation but I think Jinger struggles with social anxiety. That fear of not being good enough is amplified by Christian teachings that stress you about eternal salvation. 

• Upvote 20

On 9/11/2021 at 2:06 PM, Coconut Flan said:

I love typos - Trinidadian formula.  How does that work instead of our regular trinitarian?  😁

We could ask Nicky Minaj's cousin's friend how it works. 😁

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 25

Technically I'm Lutheran, baptised as a kid and went through confirmation training at 14-15. Many of my non-child baptised Christian friends deem it weird, if you don't have re-baptism as an adult when you decide to change your denomination to a church that don't baptise infants. And my friends that have become pentecostal have mostly gone through water baptism as adults. Almost all of them describe it as a step in recognising how they've been reformed by Christ.

It all sounds weird to me, but like... whatever floats their boat, I guess, as long as it's a personal choice and not something the congregation requires.

Jinger is getting some mild pushback on her Instagram for having a paid partnership with a children’s clothing company but only showing the back of the girls wearing them ( she did show the clothes laid out on a surface in her stories). People are pointing out that if she doesn’t believe her daughters should be exploited like she was, then she shouldn’t use them as props for her influencer career. 
The usual humpers are defending her of course.

• Upvote 35
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Jinger is getting some mild pushback on her Instagram for having a paid partnership with a children’s clothing company but only showing the back of the girls wearing them ( she did show the clothes laid out on a surface in her stories). People are pointing out that if she doesn’t believe her daughters should be exploited like she was, then she shouldn’t use them as props for her influencer career. 
The usual humpers are defending her of course.

I was thinking all that, kinda more simple "fucking hypocrite" kinda was my thought line...

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I was thinking all that, kinda more simple "fucking hypocrite" kinda was my thought line...

JEinstein probably thinks it is a great marketing strategy

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, patsymae said:

JEinstein probably thinks it is a great marketing strategy

OMG, JEinstein…add pretentious to the moniker and it’s perfect! 

• Upvote 1

Does anyone else feel like Jinger is looking awfully thin in recent photos?  I don’t say this in any way to body shame her - I’m a mama of a daughter who is recovering from anorexia, so I’m really expressing concern, not shaming.  I believe she spoke in her book about having body / weight concerns when she was younger, I really hope she’s doing ok and not falling into an eating disorder.  If I recall correctly, Michelle also suffered from one…?  There is a very strong genetic link to ED’s, she and all of the kids are at elevated risk of developing one.  

Thoughts?  

• Upvote 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

She believes she had an ED as a teenager. She admitted this in the book. She was very, very thin when she went through her self-tanner phase, around age 18-19. However, she is not clear about when she didn't eat properly.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

She believes she had an ED as a teenager. She admitted this in the book. She was very, very thin when she went through her self-tanner phase, around age 18-19. However, she is not clear about when she didn't eat properly.

I haven’t read their book, but that’s what I thought I had heard.  Since they don’t seem to believe in actual therapy and care for mental health, I’m guessing she was never properly treated for it.  ED’s are insidious illnesses, not something you can simply pray away.  

I hope I’m wrong and she’s doing just fine, she’s definitely much tinier than any of her sisters, but that could just be her body type, I don’t know  - I do remember the self tan phase, but don’t recall ever paying attention to her size, maybe because they were still dressed in long skirts and layered tops back then.  She has also recently posted (or maybe Jeremy has?) a couple of photos of her working out.  Exercise is good as long as it’s not compulsive. 

I know I have a distinct bias given what I’ve gone through with my daughter.  When I see really thin bodies, I do tend to wonder if it’s natural or if they’re engaging in unhealthy behaviors to get that way.  I know that’s not any better than wondering the same about larger bodies, I try very hard to check that bias.  Unfortunately, I have, on several occasions, been right and a person has an ED.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

When I am stressed I tend to eat less. At one point in college I got very thin. I did not starve myself but ate according to my hunger cues. It just so happens that my body responds to stress by absolutely killing my appetite. Maybe she's been stressed lately. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

When I am stressed I tend to eat less. At one point in college I got very thin. I did not starve myself but ate according to my hunger cues. It just so happens that my body responds to stress by absolutely killing my appetite. Maybe she's been stressed lately. 

Yes, I can believe that, the same happens to me.  Studies have shown that eating disorders have a biological and genetic origin and are triggered in susceptible individuals when they go into an energy deficit (which can be from dieting, illness, stress, over exercising, etc).  For someone who has had an ED, they have to always be vigilant that regardless of what is happening in their lives, they have to continue to eat adequately because even a fully recovered individual can easily relapse and fall right back into their disorder.  Without proper care (therapy and dietician), Jinger would never know this and be ultra cautious to prevent relapse.  

Again, I hope she’s ok.  Even though she says they’re in a “sweet season of life,” I never sense she’s truly happy.  

• Upvote 3

From what they portray on IG, which could be the exact opposite of what they truly believe and endorse, I can’t see those 2 having any more than 3 kids. And if #2 had been male, I think that might of been the end of their quiver. Does he spend any time with those kids at all ? 

The only photos of her I have seen in at least 6 months are any posted here. Can’t remember the age (or name!) of her youngest daughter, but if the timing fits she could also be early pregnant again and suffering awful morning (full day) sickness. 
I don’t like speculating on pregnancy or eating disorders, but I know which of the two options I would prefer her to have.

8 hours ago, SassyPants said:

From what they portray on IG, which could be the exact opposite of what they truly believe and endorse, I can’t see those 2 having any more than 3 kids. And if #2 had been male, I think that might of been the end of their quiver. Does he spend any time with those kids at all ? 

Lol like two/three hours after you wrote this he posted a pic (IG story)  of himself carrying the baby and holding Felicity’s hand. 🥸

Edited by BadMurphy
  • Haha 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic