IGNORED

United States Governors 2

GreyhoundFan

Andrew Cuomo signs bill ending child marriage in NY

ALBANY, N.Y. (WSYR) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed legislation on Thursday raising the age of consent to be married in New York State to 18. 

The new measure builds on legislation eliminating child marriage that the governor signed in 2017 by removing the ability for 17-year-olds to be married with parental and judicial consent.

I am no fan of Cuomo, but I’m glad he signed this measure.  It still boggles my mind that prior to 2017, the minimum age was 14 with parental/judicial consent.(During my senior year of high school in 1984, a pregnant 15-year-old a few grades behind me married; to her credit, she did come to school fairly regularly after the baby was born, although I learned later that she did eventually drop out, and she and her husband divorced.)

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, Cartmann99 said:

Wow! A republican Governor blaming the unvaccinated? Has the apocalypse happened and I missed it?

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Wow! A republican Governor blaming the unvaccinated? Has the apocalypse happened and I missed it?

Well, there is this pandemic going on that so far globally, has 191.773.590 confirmed  cases, including 4.127.963 deaths. There has been unprecedented flooding in Europe and Asia, horrific wildfires on the American continent, blistering heatwaves in Canada and the UK.

Sounds pretty apocalyptic to me.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

Is anyone else getting any creepy feelings about sheriff's pulling over arresting and impounding the cars of Hispanics in Texas, especially those who are legally here but don't speak English or speak English well?

• I Agree 15

8 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Is anyone else getting any creepy feelings about sheriff's pulling over arresting and impounding the cars of Hispanics in Texas, especially those who are legally here but don't speak English or speak English well?

I remember a decade ago there were serious issues with Hispanic looking people consistently being pulled over in places like Arizona and being asked to provide their documentation. This is how I explained white privilege to my white, English, immigrant husband: how many times have you been pulled over in the US? (Multiple, for various reasons) And how many times have you been asked to show any documentation? (Zero). He knows he has it much easier as an immigrant in this country based on the fact that he's white, and to some the "right kind" of immigrant.

• Upvote 10

7 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I remember a decade ago there were serious issues with Hispanic looking people consistently being pulled over in places like Arizona and being asked to provide their documentation.

Wasn't this Joe Arpaio's big thing in Arizona? I think racial profiling and subsequent treatment of immigrants earned him a felony. 

• Upvote 9

11 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I remember a decade ago there were serious issues with Hispanic looking people consistently being pulled over in places like Arizona and being asked to provide their documentation. This is how I explained white privilege to my white, English, immigrant husband: how many times have you been pulled over in the US? (Multiple, for various reasons) And how many times have you been asked to show any documentation? (Zero). He knows he has it much easier as an immigrant in this country based on the fact that he's white, and to some the "right kind" of immigrant.

I lived in Arizona at the time. It was always in the back of my mind but a real concerned I had for a couple of fantastic women I taught with who were of Hispanic origin, even though their families have been in the United States for generations.

When I lived in Arizona if I were traveling at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning I would be closely scrutinized at the border patrol checkpoints and I've had to show my ID before too. I do have brown hair and brown eyes but my ethnicity is almost entirely German, without any Hispanic contribution. It always creeped me out a little when they stopped me and it really makes me feel empathy for the ethnic groups they get pulled over all too regularly.

• Upvote 11

8 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Hmm. The most precious freedom is life? Ok. Then why not protect it against a deadly pandemic? Why are you consciously contributing to anti-vaccine sentiments and enforcing anti-mask rules and regulations? Why are you willingly and wittingly putting the lives of your citizens in danger?

Ah, of course, silly me! For you, only the unborn are deserving of life. Once born, both freedom and life have no worth at all.

• Upvote 15

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Ah, of course, silly me! For you, only the unborn are deserving of life. Once born, both freedom and life have no worth at all

Let's face it, the born are expensive to care for and ungrateful to boot.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

8 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Let's face it, the born are expensive to care for and ungrateful to boot.

And there’s no guarantee that the born won’t grow up to be Democrats. Or homosexual.  Or transgender. Or anything else that might trigger the snowflake GQP. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

Yeah he needs to go now

When news of an attorney general investigation into his sexual harassment scandal broke in March, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) tried to hang onto his political empire by urging his allies to let the probe play out and reserve judgment until it ended.

The plea barely worked then, with prominent Democrats in the U.S. House and Senate lining up to call for his resignation.

Now that the results are in—in the form of a 165-page report finding he sexually harassed multiple women in violation of state and federal law—everyone from President Joe Biden to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have demanded his resignation.

Should Cuomo continue to resist that chorus—and his defiant press conference Tuesday suggests he might—several New York Assembly members told Law&Crime that they want to move quickly toward impeachment.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

Looks like Cuomo is gonna go the Blago route. 

Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie on Tuesday said Gov. Andrew Cuomo "can no longer remain in office," a critical blow to the governor's chances of staying in power after a damning report earlier in the day detailed his sexually harassment of female aides.

Assembly Democrats, who hold a wide majority, met privately on a video conference call for nearly three hours to discuss the report and were largely in agreement to move forward with articles of impeachment if the Democratic governor doesn't resign, lawmakers in attendance told the USA TODAY Network New York.

Cuomo has so far vowed to stay in office, releasing a 14-minute video in his defense and putting out an 85-page rebuttal from his private attorney to James' findings.

But both leaders of the state Legislature want him to go, as well as Biden and all leading Democrats in the state, including Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand.

• Thank You 9

22 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Good.  At least he had the sense to step aside.  Of course he's taking a page straight out of the former guy playbook and going on about how it's all politically motivated.

This means that in 22 Kathy Hochul will be running as an incumbent.  She'll be the first female governor of New York. 

• Upvote 5

DeSantis wouldn't be offering them if FL had to pay.

I'm sorry, I know I sound hard-hearted, but I don't think taxpayers should pay for treatment for those who refused the vaccine.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4

29 minutes ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

We'll offer a $2100 treatment rather than a $39 prevention.  

#followthemoney?

Of course! This is the only way our shareholders can make money. In addition, by charging insurance companies the $2,100 they can also raise their premiums and their profit. The American people lose? Oh well. No big deal.

• Upvote 8