IGNORED

Trump 51: The Lame Duck a l‘Orange

GreyhoundFan

Trump's Deutsche Bank contact has suddenly resigned.

Interesting:

The reasons for Ms. Vrablic’s abrupt resignation were not clear. Deutsche Bank in August opened an internal review into a 2013 real estate transaction between Ms. Vrablic and a company owned in part by Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of Mr. Trump and a client of Ms. Vrablic’s. Dominic Scalzi, a longtime colleague of Ms. Vrablic’s who played a role in that transaction, will also leave the bank.

Spoiler

Trump’s Longtime Banker at Deutsche Bank Resigns

Rosemary Vrablic, who oversaw hundreds of millions of dollars in loans to President Trump’s company, will leave the bank next week.

Rosemary Vrablic, a managing director and senior banker in Deutsche Bank’s wealth management division, recently handed in her resignation.Credit...Paul Laurie/Patrick McMullan

By David Enrich

Dec. 22, 2020Updated 2:57 p.m. ET

President Trump’s longtime banker at Deutsche Bank, who arranged for the German lender to make hundreds of millions of dollars of loans to his company, is stepping down from the bank.

Rosemary Vrablic, a managing director and senior banker in Deutsche Bank’s wealth management division, recently handed in her resignation, which the bank accepted, according to a bank spokesman, Daniel Hunter.

“I’ve chosen to resign my position with the bank effective Dec. 31 and am looking forward to my retirement,” Ms. Vrablic, 60, said in a statement on Tuesday.

The reasons for Ms. Vrablic’s abrupt resignation were not clear. Deutsche Bank in August opened an internal review into a 2013 real estate transaction between Ms. Vrablic and a company owned in part by Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of Mr. Trump and a client of Ms. Vrablic’s. Dominic Scalzi, a longtime colleague of Ms. Vrablic’s who played a role in that transaction, will also leave the bank.

Advertisement

Continue reading the main story

Ms. Vrablic and Mr. Scalzi joined Deutsche Bank in 2006 from Bank of America. Ms. Vrablic quickly made a name for herself as one of her division’s leading rainmakers. In 2011, she landed a prominent new client: Mr. Trump, who for decades had been mostly off limits to the mainstream banking world because of his tendency to default on loans. With her bosses’ approval, Ms. Vrablic agreed to a series of loans, totaling well over $300 million, for his newly acquired Doral golf resort in Florida, for his troubled Chicago skyscraper and for the transformation of the Old Post Office building in Washington into a luxury hotel.

Dig deeper into the moment.

Subscribe for $1 a week.

When Mr. Trump became president, his relationship with Deutsche Bank came under a microscope by regulators, prosecutors and congressional Democrats. Ms. Vrablic’s starring role in the suddenly controversial relationship — she was a V.I.P. guest at Mr. Trump’s inauguration — pushed the publicity-shy banker into the spotlight.

Rosemary T. Vrablic, circled at top right, helped steer more than $300 million in loans to Donald J. Trump in the years before he was elected president.Credit...Daniel Acker/Bloomberg

The relationship between Mr. Trump and the German bank is the subject of congressional, civil and criminal investigations. The Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., has been investigating whether Mr. Trump committed financial crimes as he sought to get loans from Deutsche Bank.

A lawyer for Mr. Scalzi confirmed that he was resigning from the bank.

Mr. Trump’s key contacts at his biggest financial backer are leaving at a perilous time for the departing president. He owes Deutsche Bank about $330 million, and the loans come due in 2023 and 2024. Mr. Trump provided a personal guarantee to get the loans, meaning that if he fails to pay them back, the bank can pursue his personal assets.

Advertisement

Deutsche Bank’s internal review has focused, at least in part, on a Park Avenue apartment that Ms. Vrablic, Mr. Scalzi and another Deutsche Bank colleague purchased for about $1.5 million from a company called Bergel 715 Associates in June 2013. Mr. Kushner held an ownership stake in that company at the time.

Business & Economy

Latest Updates

Updated 

Dec. 22, 2020, 1:40 p.m. ET1 hour ago

1 hour ago

The relief bill expands aid to nursing homes from a H.U.D. program.

Group Nine Media, parent of PopSugar and Thrillist, says it plans to seek mergers.

When to expect your stimulus check.

Banks usually bar employees from doing personal business with clients because of the potential for conflicts of interest.

After being contacted by The New York Times in August, Deutsche Bank officials started reviewing the transaction “and the fact pattern from 2013,” Mr. Hunter, the bank spokesman, said at the time.

The status and scope of that review, which may include other transactions, is not clear, but Deutsche Bank officials previously said they hoped it would be completed by the end of the year.

At the time of the real estate transaction, Ms. Vrablic was rapidly expanding Deutsche Bank’s relationship with the Trumps and the Kushners. It was Mr. Kushner who, in 2011, invited Ms. Vrablic to Trump Tower in Manhattan to meet his father-in-law, who was radioactive to most large banks.

Ms. Vrablic and her boss championed the Trump relationship. But it was polarizing inside the bank. Some senior executives argued it was too risky to lend to Mr. Trump, given his history of not repaying loans, including in 2008 when he defaulted on a large loan from Deutsche Bank on his Chicago skyscraper. Those concerns, however, were overruled, and the relationship with Mr. Trump progressed.

As they sought more loans, Mr. Trump and his representatives provided Deutsche Bank with financial statements that appeared to substantially overstate the value of some of his company’s real estate and other assets, according to current and former bank executives, as well as congressional testimony last year from Mr. Trump’s former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen.

Editors’ Picks

‘Wintering’ Offers Hopeful Perspective on Embracing Difficult Times

A Close Reading of Ariana Grande’s Engagement Announcement

Auditioning for the Role of Boyfriend

Advertisement

That is one focus of the criminal investigation by Mr. Vance, the Manhattan district attorney. Since the November election, his prosecutors have interviewed Deutsche Bank officials about the bank’s lending policies and procedures, and bank executives expect that prosecutors will summon employees to testify before a grand jury.

Since their initial meeting, Ms. Vrablic became friendly with Mr. Trump and Mr. Kushner. In an interview with The Times in early 2016, Mr. Trump repeatedly and incorrectly referred to Ms. Vrablic as “the head of Deutsche Bank.”

“She is the boss,” Mr. Trump said.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 6

12 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Pat Robertson is saying Trump is living in an alternative reality and should move on.

I saw this on my Facebook newsfeed. I was so surprised but happy he said this. 

• Upvote 9

9 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Pat Robertson is saying Trump is living in an alternative reality and should move on.

Didn't he just recently say maybe Joe Biden will be charged with whatever they're investigating Hunter Biden for?  And if so, that would overturn the election? 

And just now he's saying how erratic Trump is, how he insults people?  He's just figuring that out now?  Or did he just now realize Trump will no longer be useful to him and those like him?

• Upvote 10

Under 700 hours left to go!

037FF3AA-AA00-4ADC-9508-2B9DC057561F.thumb.jpeg.bd8b90129c7ac97296ca41d7cb5af83c.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

"I'm asking Congress to amend this bill and increase the ridiculously low $600 to $2000 or $4000 per couple," Trump said in a video released on Twitter. "I'm also asking Congress to immediately get rid of the wasteful and unnecessary items in this legislation or to send me a suitable bill."

The extraordinary message came after he largely left negotiations over the measure to lawmakers and his Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. Trump did not explicitly threaten to veto the bill, but said he was dissatisfied with its final state.

https://apple.news/APZHklSM9S6mgGKqcDj-8tw

I guess he’s pissed at McConnell and crew and lashing out. It would be nice if one of his temper tantrums actually led to something useful! 2020, the year of weird. ?‍♀️

• Upvote 11

6 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

https://apple.news/APZHklSM9S6mgGKqcDj-8tw

I guess he’s pissed at McConnell and crew and lashing out. It would be nice if one of his temper tantrums actually led to something useful! 2020, the year of weird. ?‍♀️

Someone needs to tell him the election is over and it is pointless to try and buy votes

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

A scary and depressing read from the WaPo Editorial Board: "Trump’s final month might make the past four years seem calm"

WHILE AMERICANS prepare to celebrate the holiday season, President Trump and his hardcore supporters are contemplating a turbulent final month that could make the rest of his chaotic presidency look placid. As Mr. Trump sidelines even some of his most loyal aides and allies, the few checks that remained on the president’s behavior are eroding, potentially leading to a Jan. 6 showdown over electoral votes on Capitol Hill that could further damage U.S. democracy.

Government officials and even some presidential aides are reportedly bracing for what might come next. The possibilities include strange orders to the armed forces, mass firings in key national security departments, more bizarre pardons, demands to prosecute Trump political enemies or the appointment of one or several special counsels to force the Justice Department to investigate bogus claims of election irregularities and other Trump obsessions.

These possibilities have led senior government officials to deliver extraordinary public statements. Attorney General William P. Barr, whose last day is Wednesday, has said that he saw no evidence of “systemic or broad-based” election fraud and no basis for seizing election machines, appointing a special counsel to investigate voting irregularities or tapping a special counsel to examine President-elect Joe Biden’s son Hunter. Meanwhile, responding to suggestions of martial law from some of those in Mr. Trump’s orbit, the Army chief of staff, Gen. James C. McConville, and Army Secretary Ryan D. McCarthy declared Friday that “there is no role for the U.S. military in determining the outcome of an American election.” Americans can appreciate these statements — while feeling horrified that they are necessary. Necessary for Army brass to say that the military will not help stage a coup. Necessary for the attorney general to make clear that federal law enforcement authorities will not help the president overturn an election he lost.

What seems increasingly likely is a Capitol Hill fight on Jan. 6, in which a distressingly large number of Republican lawmakers might move to strike the electoral votes of several swing states in a desperate effort to deny Americans their duly elected government. A cabal of House conservatives has been plotting at the White House with Mr. Trump and Vice President Pence. Mr. Pence’s presence is notable because he will preside over the electoral vote counting at the Jan. 6 joint session of Congress.

If just a single senator signs on to the objections, lawmakers must engage in a lengthy debate and vote that would serve as another toxic loyalty test for congressional Republicans: Mr. Trump or democracy. Incoming Alabama senator Tommy Tuberville (R) has already signaled interest in forcing that vote. Many Republican lawmakers will be tempted to sign on to the objections or vote to sustain them, calculating that the Democratic House and a handful of GOP senators will vote to uphold Mr. Biden’s victory, anyway. But their votes would not be costless. Their collaboration with Mr. Trump would heighten the chances of a future Congress controlled by one party overturning the results of a presidential election, based on fake fraud allegations.

Republican lawmakers who are cowering before Mr. Trump must find the self-respect that Mr. Barr, Pentagon officials and others have summoned over the past several days. Indulging Mr. Trump’s lies about a stolen election and his corrupt efforts to negate the people’s will corrodes self-government and stains their reputations forever.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

7 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

If just a single senator signs on to the objections, lawmakers must engage in a lengthy debate and vote that would serve as another toxic loyalty test for congressional Republicans: Mr. Trump or democracy. Incoming Alabama senator Tommy Tuberville (R) has already signaled interest in forcing that vote. Many Republican lawmakers will be tempted to sign on to the objections or vote to sustain them, calculating that the Democratic House and a handful of GOP senators will vote to uphold Mr. Biden’s victory, anyway. But their votes would not be costless.   

What this article fails to explicitly say is that any actions by trumplican reps or senators will only be delaying the inevitable. Their actions will not have any other effect than forcing the Senate to vote for or against the Electoral College results, and the House (seperately) to vote for or against the EC results. Which will be a waste of time, as both House and Senate must vote against the EC results for them to be nullified/changed -- and with a Dem House majority, that will never happen. And with McConnell personally having acknowledged the EC results, the chances of the Senate voting against the EC is significantly reduced as well. 

7 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Their collaboration with Mr. Trump would heighten the chances of a future Congress controlled by one party overturning the results of a presidential election, based on fake fraud allegations.

This is a scary proposition, and all the more reason to completely overhaul the current electoral systems. Not only on the federal level, but on state level too. And it's absolutely necessary to readjust the balance of power. The way things are now, the Senate has way too much power -- and the Senate Majority leader in particular. 

• Upvote 9

Fucker McFuckerson just pardoned a bunch of people who would crime for him, and some war criminals who are good to have on his side in a massacre.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 4

This is old but he's even more awful now.

It is truly a mystery to me how anybody loves him so much.

Spoiler

Trump's friends at Deutsche Bank want to spend more time with their family.

Good thing he has all those Magats to give him dollars now.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

I have the whole Deutschebank piece posted earlier.  Fascinating read (granted, bean counter and financial crime and the link always captures my attention).

I also listened carefully a bit ago to morning news and caught what I was wondering.  I believe if trump doesn’t sign, it gets the automatic approval.  Meaning he IS blustering and it means nothing. (Because they probably sent it up with a veto proof majority).  He can therefore be a hero and sign the sad thing or be a fool.  As usual he’s going off half cocked in front of the media and his handlers will have to work behind the scenes to rectify this mess (again).  He also does t want to give Biden the satisfaction of being a hero with a second round of stimulus.  Besides, he has something like 28 or 29 days of fund raising for his PAC before he’s tossed from office.  Have to keep the gullible sending those checks in.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

11 minutes ago, clueliss said:

As usual he’s going off half cocked in front of the media

Speaking of that...

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I have the whole Deutschebank piece posted earlier.  Fascinating read (granted, bean counter and financial crime and the link always captures my attention).

I also listened carefully a bit ago to morning news and caught what I was wondering.  I believe if trump doesn’t sign, it gets the automatic approval.  Meaning he IS blustering and it means nothing. (Because they probably sent it up with a veto proof majority).  He can therefore be a hero and sign the sad thing or be a fool.  As usual he’s going off half cocked in front of the media and his handlers will have to work behind the scenes to rectify this mess (again).  He also does t want to give Biden the satisfaction of being a hero with a second round of stimulus.  Besides, he has something like 28 or 29 days of fund raising for his PAC before he’s tossed from office.  Have to keep the gullible sending those checks in.

Can't he fundraise with it after the inauguration? For the famous 2024 campaign... or to become a senator in Georgia, or whatever.

I hope there are criminal charges in the banker lady's future because she seems like one of the main enablers in this saga.

• Upvote 9

@emptywheel on twitter today was speculating about the potential for Trump to pardon Nader (pedophile with multiple convictions) and Ghislaine Maxwell. 

Nader lied to the Mueller investigation and Ghislaine can bring down a LOT of powerful people.  

Between now and January 20th is a good time to remember that THERE. IS. NO. BOTTOM.

There will be shocks to come, each worse than the last.  Metaphorically gird you loins, load up on popcorn, grab your comfort object,  place rescue ferrets on standby, wine, hard liquor, hot cocoa at hand, whatever works to get you through. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Fuckopotamus doesn't give a fuck for this country.  I hope someday things crash down around him, his family, and cronies somehow and they all go down in a burning pile of flames.  

"(CNN)Donald Trump's presidency is blazing into history in a way that epitomizes his corrupt excess, with pardons for cronies and war crimes, assaults on democracy, fresh Covid-19 denial and impunity for Russia." https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/politics/donald-trump-pardons-stimulus/index.html

• Upvote 12

43 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Fuckopotamus doesn't give a fuck for this country.  I hope someday things crash down around him, his family, and cronies somehow and they all go down in a burning pile of flames.  

That would be too good for him. 

Mark Hamill FTW again  

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1

So much for Fuck Nugget supporting the troops. 

President Donald Trump on Wednesday vetoed the sweeping defense bill that both chambers of Congress recently passed by veto-proof majorities. He had previously threatened to do so because it doesn't include a repeal of Section 230, a law that shields internet companies from being liable for what is posted on their websites by them or third parties. 

"Unfortunately," the President wrote in his veto message to Congress, "the Act fails to include critical national security measures, includes provisions that fail to respect our veterans and our military's history, and contradicts efforts by my Administration to put America first in our national security and foreign policy actions. It is a 'gift' to China and Russia."

Trump's veto sparked an immediate rebuke from GOP Sen. Jim Inhofe, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, who said that the defense bill must become law.

"The NDAA has become law every year for 59 years straight because it's absolutely vital to our national security and our troops. This year must not be an exception. Our men and women who volunteer to wear the uniform shouldn't be denied what they need— ever," Inhofe tweeted.

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

This is old but he's even more awful now.

It is truly a mystery to me how anybody loves him so much.

Reveal hidden contents

Trump's friends at Deutsche Bank want to spend more time with their family.

Good thing he has all those Magats to give him dollars now.

My Congressman 

• Upvote 5

Heads up! Incoming jealous tweets in three... two... one...

• Upvote 18

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic