GreyhoundFan

Georgia appears to have gotten even closer, per CNN, anyway:

Spoiler

image.png.4f941d0ec670d79337e1b695827b4543.png

North Carolina - not looking great, but one never knows:

Spoiler

image.png.4485aadf9ec7cb3e53caee3b94a832b8.png

• Thank You 8

I really hoped that a night sleep would mean there would be more news than last night but I guess not.

Am I right that we can know for sure when Nevada updates in your morning? Or is that not planned anymore?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Perhaps a stupid question, coming from an American abroad. I know about the whole electoral college thing, but inside states is it just a straight all votes get counted and the highest number gets all the electoral college votes (I know there are two exceptions, Nebraska and Maine??) or is it first past the post per county/district and then those are added up? 

• Upvote 1

Glancing at comments on facebook and twitter, it's appalling how few americans seem to understand how our elections work.  

It all seems to come back to the misconception that when a state gets "called" that means the election is officially done in that state. In reality all it means is that based on both the result of currently counted votes and the data they have on areas still be counted, that particular news outlet feels confident the candidate will win that state. It is simply an opinion and has no bearing on the actual election result.

Most states have not finished counting nor did they stop once they get called. None of the remaining uncalled states (except Alaska) are counting slower than any other state. No electoral votes have been awarded yet and won't be until December.

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

1 minute ago, TuringMachine said:

Glancing at comments on facebook and twitter, it's appalling how few americans seem to understand how our elections work.  

It all seems to come back to the misconception that when a state gets "called" that means the election has officially been called in that state. In reality all it means is that based on both the result of currently counted votes and the data they have on areas still be counted, that particular news outlet feels confident the candidate will win that state. It is simply an opinion and has no bearing on the actual election result.

Most states have not finished counting nor did they stop once they get called. None of the remaining uncalled states (except Alaska) are counting slower than any other state. No electoral votes have been awarded yet and won't be until December.

Do these people think CNN have just been really really slow and no one told them Fox called AZ many hours ago?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

I really hoped that a night sleep would mean there would be more news than last night but I guess not.

Am I right that we can know for sure when Nevada updates in your morning? Or is that not planned anymore?

No -- Biden needs 17 more Electoral College votes.

The only remaining state with that many votes is Pennsylvania with 20.

It looks like he needs at least two of any of the others.

NV has 6

AZ has 11

GA has 16

NC has 15

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

It all seems to come back to the misconception that when a state gets "called" that means the election is officially done in that state. In reality all it means is that based on both the result of currently counted votes and the data they have on areas still be counted, that particular news outlet feels confident the candidate will win that state. It is simply an opinion and has no bearing on the actual election result.

What's particularly horrifying is that one of the CANDIDATES (the incumbent, no less) seems to think that's how it works.   ?

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, medimus said:

Perhaps a stupid question, coming from an American abroad. I know about the whole electoral college thing, but inside states is it just a straight all votes get counted and the highest number gets all the electoral college votes (I know there are two exceptions, Nebraska and Maine??) or is it first past the post per county/district and then those are added up? 

The elections are administered by the counties so that's who does the counting.

I assume they have a formal process for reporting their results to the state, who I assume then moves forward with reporting/administering the EC votes, but I don't actually know how that works.

In California at least, the County Elections Office has 30 days after the election to "certify" their results (again, I assume to the state Registrar of Voters).

3 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Ah I thought AZ was already called... 

I'm looking at CNN; don't know what other media may have called but they are showing it still uncalled.  But you're right, IF AZ goes to Biden then one more would be enough to put him over the line.  I sure hope he goes over 270 with at least one state to spare, just to have a buffer and some appearance of a mandate.

• Upvote 8

7 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I'm looking at CNN; don't know what other media may have called but they are showing it still uncalled.  But you're right, IF AZ goes to Biden then one more would be enough to put him over the line.  I sure hope he goes over 270 with at least one state to spare, just to have a buffer and some appearance of a mandate.

Our public-owned media says its called, but the biggest commercial media says it's not.

I see CNN also does not call, but Fox does... so it seems to be there is no consesus. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

Ah I thought AZ was already called... 

Some outlets have called it, others have not. Trump has been picking up ground and I'm getting concerned.

From the NYT

Jennifer Medina, in Phoenix 3:06 AM ET

In the latest results, Trump hit the percentage he needed to stay on track to potentially win Arizona, but it may not hold. The next Maricopa release is not expected until Thursday night. 

• Thank You 8

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'd love that, but they can't.  Like it or not the US is a major player for world affairs and they need to deal with whomever we put in charge.  

Also, Trump's behaviour is only shocking because he is the president of an important democracy. If he were the dictator of some backwater African country with a few tribal warriors and a goat, his demeanor would be perfectly normal, even moderate. Politicians are used to deal with... to put it like Obama, "colorful guys". Calling for violent action from his thugs, trying to intimidate reporters and judges, swapping out wives like he changes his shirts, nepotism, stealing from public funds... all of that is perfectly normal behaviour for many of the people in charge in the world. It's shocking to you because you are used to a different political culture.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Mine does not say counted. I’m in CA-

and good morning 

and that is interesting. Yesterday on LIve with Kelly and Ryan - Kelly said she was able to see hers was counted....via her mail in ballot

Good luck !! 

Edited by nst

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

40k ballots rejected in Dekalb county Georgia 

That number is wrong, thankfully. She acknowledges in a later tweet that the actual statewide number is about 3000.

• Thank You 9

1 minute ago, Howl said:

Paula White is working God hard

Give it a rest, Paula.  God's call center is completely overwhelmed by those of us who are praying for decency whether we believe or not.

At least he arranged decent hold music.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5

Good morning from NJ! I had to force myself to sleep last night but woke up in a panic at around 3:30am and checked my phone. I was so hoping to see this done, grrr! In for another long day I suppose ?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

29 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I blame CNN for their "we'll have more counts in just a few more minutes" for my lack of sleep.  Ugh.

I blame them for my lack of work.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

I keep checking in between meetings today. Rationally I’ve been saying we need to be patient... but in practice that’s not quite how it works. :pb_lol:

• Haha 9
  • I Agree 6

3 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I blame them for my lack of work.

I'll blame them for that, too, once I get there.

I should be getting ready now, but I'm lying here with coffee hoping it kicks in soon.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Love 1

I'm honestly just glad that I have been giving quizzes the last two days to my students so that I can have Zoom open to watch them in one window while watching election results in the other window. I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow when I have to actually teach lessons all day!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I'm honestly just glad that I have been giving quizzes the last two days to my students so that I can have Zoom open to watch them in one window while watching election results in the other window. I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow when I have to actually teach lessons all day!

It's times like this I'm blessed that my job is still working from home (we rotate being in the office) so I have my personal laptop open with FJ and election stuff and my work laptop for everything else.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

No points for guessing what this is about (we're gonna fight the results even if we have to go to the SC)

• Thank You 6

Good morning from Texas. It's coming up on 8am here, so I just finished my nutritious breakfast of chocolate cake and iced tea. I did cut up a lemon for the tea, so at least I got a little vitamin C in the deal. :shrug:

2 hours ago, ignorantobserver said:

Also, Trump's behaviour is only shocking because he is the president of an important democracy. If he were the dictator of some backwater African country with a few tribal warriors and a goat, his demeanor would be perfectly normal, even moderate.

I'm currently envisioning Donnie Jr. as a goat during one of his spittle-flecked Faux News rants.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

• Destiny locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic