IGNORED

Dave Ramsey

The Mother Dust

Is “pants on fire stage” a Dave Ramsey term?

I’ve always known it to mean that someone is lying, from “liar, liar, pants on fire.” It’s curious to see it used to mean “in a dire situation.”

• Upvote 2

I have never been a fan of Dave Ramsey and when all the recent stuff came out about him I was not shocked. Turns out Mr. Bonkers is paying $130 per year for DR's "Every Dollar" budget program 🤬

We are very blessed (to use a fundie term) and aside from 6 months where we were paying rent on an apartment and mortgage on a house, we have always had money extra at the end of every month. I am not okay with paying DR $130 or 130 cents for a budget program.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Looks like the podcast Untangled Faith has a recent episode on FPU:

Dan and Summer Watt & Melissa Hogan joined me for episode 39: The Problem with Financial Peace University and Dave Ramsey’s Financial Rhetoric.  ⁠ This conversation we had was made possible by the fact that those of us involved in this episode have spent the last several years processing together our experiences with the ups and downs of Financial Peace University and the rhetoric coming from the Ramsey Show.⁠ ⁠ While we all had different levels of understanding and adhering to the plan, each of us have found ourselves with serious questions. Some of these questions started before we broke ties with the organization and some of these realizations came later.⁠ ⁠ We don’t claim to be unbiased observers. We all have had very painful and disappointing experiences with Ramsey Solutions, but we don’t think that negates the very real questions we raise.⁠

• Upvote 3

On 6/6/2022 at 2:18 AM, Petronella said:

Is “pants on fire stage” a Dave Ramsey term?

I believe DR has used the term to describe people who are in heavy debt / dire financal situations.  

• Thank You 2

• 2 months later...

Since this is the latest Dave Ramsey thread, I'll put this here. 

In early 2019, Dave Ramsey, the finance guru and national radio host, began to think that he’d made a terrible mistake.

For months he and other leaders at Ramsey Solutions had been backing Chris Hogan, a bestselling author and speaker for the Franklin, Tennessee, media and publishing company, in a dispute with Hogan’s wife, who had accused him of adultery.

Ramsey had learned of the allegations against Hogan in the fall of 2018, on the eve of a major tour planned for Hogan’s “Everyday Millionaire” book. For Ramsey Solutions, the allegations presented a particularly thorny problem. Founded by Ramsey in1992, the company offers financial advice — famously, stern warnings to avoid debt — with a Christian foundation. Much of its revenue comes from the personal finance courses and books it sells to churches and from his daily radio show.

The biblical ethic extended to Ramsey Solutions’ employees: Ramsey personally enforced the company’s “righteous living” rules, which, among other things, bar premarital and extramarital sex. Ramsey Solutions has been sued by former employees; one who was fired after higher-ups learned she was pregnant without being married, and another who alleges she was terminated for being a lesbian. (In the latter case, the company settled.)

But Hogan was a star, with his own slot on the company’s radio programming and multiple books. Rather than fire Hogan, Ramsey and other leaders let Hogan go out on the tour while setting up a “restoration plan” for his marriage.

That plan failed. And Ramsey began to worry that Hogan had been lying to him.

Oh the pity. The article continues as Dave starts to worry about hypocrisy. I leave it here except for this:

In his deposition, Lopez described another Ramsey employee who got married and then told her boss she was several months pregnant. She was fired as well. In all, more than a dozen Ramsey employees were let go for violating righteous living policies.

“We suspected she had violated company policy, but we didn’t know it until that moment,” Lopez said in the deposition.

The company does not consider all sex acts outside of marriage to be unrighteous. While intercourse outside of marriage is cause for dismissal, oral sex is not, said Ramsey and other leaders in the depositions.

Here's the full article so you can read it (link). It's from Religious News Service, it's called "At Dave Ramsey’s company, some sex outside marriage was OK, court documents show" and it's from September 2, 2022. 

I think Dave, like many other religious people, is too obsessed about what people do with their genitals (consensually). 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

13 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I think Dave, like many other religious people, is too obsessed about what people do with their genitals

Yes, and when I see this kind of obsession I have to think there's much more going on behind the scenes. IOW, it's  more about the one who's obsessed than the people they criticize or judge.

Thanks for posting the link to Bob Smietana's latest article. He has been relentless in bird-dogging Ramsey & the cult.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2022 at 4:23 PM, hoipolloi said:

Looks like the podcast Untangled Faith has a recent episode on FPU:

New Untangled Faith episode about Dave Ramsey (link):

"If telling the truth is risking the business, you've got a truth problem, not a business problem."- Melissa J. Hogan

Melissa Hogan is an attorney and fan favorite of the Untangled Faith Podcast. She joins Amy Fritz to discuss the implications of new requirements for employees of Ramsey Solutions, and to shine a light on the ethical and spiritual issues surrounding the policies.

Here's what I cover with Melissa Hogan in this episode:

Unethical, spiritual and practical issues surrounding a Christian company's new policies. Fear tactics and how they are used to control and manage an image, instead of promoting truth and Jesus. Potential legal challenges and rights surrounding non-disclosure agreements, works-for-hire and non-solicitation clauses, and forced arbitration.

Sheila Gregoire sums up some of what's covered in a tweet:

Apparently Dave Ramsey is giving his employees one more day to sign very restrictive employee agreements or lose their jobs.

• Thank You 1

Dave Ramsey is always going to be the cosmic asshole but the timing of this demand is interesting considering that the National Labor Relations Board just issued a ruling that NDAs and confidentiality agreements cannot be part of a severance package.

In a groundbreaking decision, the National Labor Relations Board (Board) ruled that a severance agreement with confidentiality and non-disparagement provisions was unlawful because it restricted the rights of employees to engage in protected concerted activity under Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). Given how prevalent such provisions are in separation agreements, employers will have to consider very carefully what revisions they may need to make to these agreements when offering severance in exchange for a release. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• 2 months later...

For more on the level of scam that was Timeshare Exit Team (aka Reed Hein, formerly rain gutter system salesmen), check out the Washington State Attorney General’s website:  Timeshare scamsters ordered to pay

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. 

I hope the plaintiffs are successful. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I think he deserves to lose tons and tons of money. However I’m sort of jaded so I’m thinking he might get off easy. With a settlement much smaller than the original amount they are suing for. 

• Upvote 9

I detest this man. I'm sure he's done stuff that would land others in prison. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Wow. Thanks, @gustava

Glad we were never sucked into that.  I have a very vague memory of my ex expressing mild interest back when.  I don't know if it's still a thing, but there were many lures for free dinners or a free weekend as long as you listened to a time-share pitch at some point. 

From the article linked upthread by @gustava

Literally the second I read this "As reported first by ReligionNews, former fans of Ramsey’s are suing him and his company, along with a marketing firm, saying they were defrauded by Timeshare Exit Team, who Ramsey often endorsed," I thought "He's getting a huge kickback." 

Then a paragraph down: "Former Ramsey listeners stated they were not aware he was being paid $30 million between 2015 to 2021 to promote the timeshare group, promising listeners a way out of their timeshare burdens."

So first people were scammed by buying into timeshares with ongoing fees and scammed again trying to get rid of them. 

13 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

For more on the level of scam that was Timeshare Exit Team (aka Reed Hein, formerly rain gutter system salesmen), check out the Washington State Attorney General’s website:  Timeshare scamsters ordered to pay

"The Attorney General’s Office will use Reed Hein’s $2.61 million payment to provide restitution to Washingtonians harmed by Reed Hein’s timeshare exit scheme and for partial reimbursement of his office’s litigation costs...

...More than 2,800 Washingtonians entered into contracts with Reed Hein, paying thousands in upfront fees, ranging from just under $3,000 up to tens of thousands of dollars per “exit.” Many of these individuals are still waiting for an exit from their timeshare years after signing their contracts...

...Reed Hein deceptively advertised a 100 percent money-back guarantee. Under the terms of Reed Hein’s guarantee, customers who are facing foreclosure or were already foreclosed on are not entitled to their money back, because Reed Hein considers foreclosure a successful outcome — despite the potential negative impacts. Because of this practice, some Reed Hein customers have even struggled to obtain home loans. Reed Hein scrubbed the guarantee from its website shortly after the lawsuit was filed."

This is from The Cornerstone Group,  a Better Business Bureau endorsed timeshare exit company: 

A Review of What Went Wrong With Timeshare Exit Team is a simply worded explainer of the business model flustercluck that was Time Share Exit Team and how Ramsey's endorsement poured gas on that dumpster fire: Despite their lack of qualifications, Timeshare Exit Team scored a big endorsement from media personality Dave Ramsey, host of a popular financial advice program. The mention of the company on the Dave Ramsey show was acknowledged as Timeshare Exit Team’s “most profitable endorsement.”

Reed and Hein had zero knowledge of the time share exit industry. Their business model was to assign customers marks to various lawyers and players in the time-share industry without vetting those entities first, while charging exorbitant up-front fees. 

This article gives Ramsey a very soft landing, maybe because they know he's a litigious ass. 

Ramsey’s words would turn out to spell catastrophe for desperate, vulnerable timeshare owners. It opened the way for even more of them to find their way to Timeshare Exit Team, which hurt even more people, necessitating the lawsuit filed to the Washington Attorney General. Though it should be noted that Ramsey later walked back his endorsement, by that time the damage had already been done.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 7

2 hours ago, Howl said:

customers who are facing foreclosure or were already foreclosed on are not entitled to their money back, because Reed Hein considers foreclosure a successful outcome

Reed Hein would tell marks, er, clients that they should under no circumstances contact the resort company, and to ignore those pesky past due and foreclosure notices.  Of course, customers would lose their timeshare ownership to foreclosure (successful outcome, right?), then find they not only lost their fees to Reid Hein, but their credit ratings.

57 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

He may have walked back his endorsement, but he got $30 million first.

Yep.  And I’ll bet he doesn’t intend to share it with the people he’s harmed. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

And he won't go on air and admit that he made a mistake.  "oh by the way listeners, that advice I gave you about this being the best timeshare cancel company was wrong."  Such a conceited ass. 

• I Agree 5

On 6/3/2023 at 5:22 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think he deserves to lose tons and tons of money. However I’m sort of jaded so I’m thinking he might get off easy. With a settlement much smaller than the original amount they are suing for. 

Eh, you might get lucky. Bob Ferguson is IMO the best AG in the country. He's regularly in the news for either filing a serious lawsuit or winning a serious lawsuit against big corps for regular people.

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Dave Ramsey