IGNORED

Dave Ramsey

The Mother Dust

19 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Interesting. I always wondered his stance on MLMs. I did find it notable that he didn't take any calls on the topic, despite them being a big problem in evangelical circles, and often putting people in debt. 

Actually , he has addressed the matter on his radio show .   

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

But , like I said , eventhough he does equivocate on the topic of MLMs , he has in no uncertain terms come out against reverse mortgages .  Incidentally , it was my forwarding these videos of his to my mother that helped to convince them not to take out a reverse mortgage out on our home , like this real estate agent suggested they do .   

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Marmion
to add an additional video
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dave Ramsey is still a fucking asshat, in case anyone wondered:

Ramsey Solutions, the company founded by the bestselling author and radio host, plans to host “Boots & BBQ,” a large in-person Christmas party, for hundreds of staff members at the company’s Franklin, Tennessee, headquarters, despite an outbreak of more than 50 cases at the company’s headquarters as late as mid-November....

[Ramsey talking to staff in July] “As you guys are well aware we don’t require masks but if someone wants to wear a mask we don’t mind,” according to a recording of the meeting obtained by RNS. “Everybody gets to choose what you want to do. This is America — a voluntary thing, you choose what you want to do. But we’re not going to have someone pay $10,000 for a ticket to have some $8 an hour twerp at Marriott giving them a hard time about wearing a mask.”

• Upvote 6
  • Angry 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Disgust 9
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, Giraffe said:

How the f does he still have employees after all the crap he’s done?!

People need a paycheck, especially now during a pandemic. and some may believe in his premise but may not like him. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

Can any of the fine FJ sleuths here find out what happened with that pregnant employee case?  I did some googling but couldn't find any updates. 

Regarding the link that Hoipolloi posted above, one bit of hope I took from that dave ramsey article was all the pushback I saw in the comment section, against his anti-mask views.  

• Upvote 4

But we’re not going to have someone pay $10,000 for a ticket to have some $8 an hour twerp at Marriott giving them a hard time about wearing a mask. (from Ramsey)

That's from @hoipolloi 's post above. Somebody explain to me how a $10,000 - each ticket fits into Ramsey's spiel. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, The Mother Dust said:

Can any of the fine FJ sleuths here find out what happened with that pregnant employee case?  I did some googling but couldn't find any updates. 

Regarding the link that Hoipolloi posted above, one bit of hope I took from that dave ramsey article was all the pushback I saw in the comment section, against his anti-mask views.  

Not sure of the outcome, if any, of the pregnant employee's case. That might require use of a legal database like WestLaw. 

Re: comments. I hadn't been back to the article since posting the link, and yes, some of those comments are GOLD:

1254076679_Jesusspeaks.thumb.png.d734065a10761c39dc2a43f3533475ac.png

1 minute ago, apple1 said:

That's from @hoipolloi 's post above. Somebody explain to me how a $10,000 - each ticket fits into Ramsey's spiel. 

Good question. I'm sure Ramsey would say it's an excellent value for the money. 

He is such a fucking asshole. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, apple1 said:

This part at least isn't necessarily in contrast to his spiel. He says people can indulge in whatever luxuries (paid for in cash) they want once they are out of debt and have met certain savings goals. Though, I don't know why anyone would make a party with this blowhard their financial indulgence. 

It actually bothers me more that he said "some $8 an hour twerp" -- as if making minimum wage makes someone less than others. It is not only shitty and unChristian, it completely goes against his purported financial philosophy.  I've heard him on many occasions suggest people deliver pizzas in the evenings or clean houses to get extra money to pay off their debt. And if any of them ever suggested they were too educated or successful to do that, he would immediately launch into a tirade about elbow grease and the dignity of work. 

And bringing up what people make while arguing something is always so incredibly distasteful. I think it's very telling of his hypocrisy that he immediately went to the "$8 an hour" jibe. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 25
  • I Agree 2

Well, I guess, outside of his basic philosophies, I just think it's wrong to spend money in that way while others go hungry or without a roof over their heads. (Yeah - I perceive that Ramsey is a pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps kind of guy; I won't even start on that).

• Upvote 13

22 minutes ago, apple1 said:

Well, I guess, outside of his basic philosophies, I just think it's wrong to spend money in that way while others go hungry or without a roof over their heads. (Yeah - I perceive that Ramsey is a pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps kind of guy; I won't even start on that).

Oh I agree. Even safety aside, it's in really poor taste during a pandemic when food banks are in severe need of donations and people are losing their businesses left and right. And he does talk about one of the major reasons for being financially solid is so you can give back and be "wildly generous," so it doesn't look too great in general for his brand. 

But I think Ramsey has left "poor taste" about five miles down the road at this point. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

On 12/12/2020 at 12:07 PM, The Mother Dust said:

Here is the most recent information I have found , concerning the case  . { https://dockets.justia.com/docket/tennessee/tnmdce/3:2020cv00628/83303 , https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/35426185/OConnor_v_The_Lampo_Group,_LLC } 

• Thank You 5

From HuffPo about Dave Ramsey's monster unmasked Christmas ball on Saturday night. 

Personal Finance Guru Dave Ramsey Just Threw A Huge Indoor Christmas Party

I haven't been following this thread too much, but Dave Ramsey sounds like a grade A jackwagon mini dictator.  Also science denier.  His financial advice may be sound (I don't know if it is or not) but scratch the surface and there's a lot of dictatorial elements (patriarchal?) there. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 12/11/2020 at 5:20 PM, Giraffe said:

How the f does he still have employees after all the crap he’s done?!

How the f does trump still have adoring cultists working in the WH?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

4 hours ago, Howl said:

From HuffPo about Dave Ramsey's monster unmasked Christmas ball on Saturday night. 

I am very sorry for the service workers at that event, none of whom asked for or want that kind of risk to themselves and their loved ones. Enraging doesn't begin to cover it all.

I am beyond caring about the asshats so I hope that Ramsey & every one of his guests get COVID-19 and become incredibly sick with it but eventually recover.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

On 12/13/2020 at 7:45 PM, Marmion said:

Thank you @Marmion.  So a trial date is set in April '22.  I know there is a chance it might get settled before then, but I kind of hope it goes to trial....that would generate way more attention to Dave Ramsey's disgusting practice of discriminating against single moms.   If the woman in this case accepts a settlement, (and I wouldnt really blame her if she did) I hope it's for a fuckton of money though.... more than her lawyer thinks would be awarded even, if she won at trial.   
@Howl thanks for that party info.   A part of me dosen't want to think too harshly of the "low on the totem pole" employees..... at my secular workplace, there is strong pressure to attend the annual holiday party, so I can only imagine what that pressure must be like at "Ramsey is a god" HQ.

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

My secular workplace is doing a virtual soiree during work hours. Attendance is mandatory.

Bet you can't guess who will be on mute and doing actual real work during the 1.5 hour waste of time "End of The Year Celebration"

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

My secular workplace is doing a virtual soiree during work hours. Attendance is mandatory.

Bet you can't guess who will be on mute and doing actual real work during the 1.5 hour waste of time "End of The Year Celebration"

You and anyone else who has to do mandatory team bonding activities has my deepest sympathies. That kind of thing triggers my anxiety like few things do. I hate them with the passion Jrod hates us whoring heathens!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I'm glad that you'll be able to be productive but, please, take the following cautionary tale to heart:

• Haha 12

I work at a Catholic elementary school, and when I started my position, I signed a contract that said I understood my employment could be terminated if I chose to move in with a man before marriage or if I had a child out of wedlock. I do think if push came to shove, they'd have a hard time winning that at court, but I did sign the papers so... ?‍♀️

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, viii said:

I work at a Catholic elementary school, and when I started my position, I signed a contract that said I understood my employment could be terminated if I chose to move in with a man before marriage or if I had a child out of wedlock. I do think if push came to shove, they'd have a hard time winning that at court, but I did sign the papers so... ?‍♀️

This provision would fall under a " morals clause " .  { https://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2014/06/what-is-a-morality-clause-is-it-legal.html  ,  https://www.romanolaw.com/2015/07/24/morals-clauses-what-you-need-to-know/  }  It has been challenged though .  {  https://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/living/catholic-teachers-morality/index.html  ,  https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/despite-lawsuit-ohio-archdiocese-keeps-teacher-morality-clause }  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

I'm glad that you'll be able to be productive but, please, take the following cautionary tale to heart:

This one isn't as amazing as the above, but still made me lol 

Spoiler

333154118_ScreenShot2020-12-16at8_35_54PM.thumb.png.e9fd43cf6f047ca55f1977627ddc183f.png

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Ugh.  My employer is also having a virtual one this year, and the pressure to attend is nearly as strong as it was in pre-covid years.  It's not mandatory though, which is something I am grateful for, so I won't be attending.  As you mentioned, at least this virtual space will allow you to do other things at the same time.  
(My heart emoji is sympathetic support for you, not love that you have to attend that.)  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Dave Ramsey