IGNORED

Maxwell 42: The Young and the Vestless

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, freejugar said:

If  BECAUSE the sisters pitched in Joe's house renovations, they should be compensated.

Fixed that for ya. Anna and Mary were all over the blog the summer of the ultimately-canceled Munck wedding, working like dogs on Joe's house. It's hard to gauge the level of Sarah's involvement since she's the blogger and doesn't self-promote, but Anna and Mary were there constantly, doing some serious heavy lifting. I distinctly remember Mary priming and repainting all of those drab kitchen cupboards, allowing Joe to update the kitchen for pennies (and allowing him to splurge on the solid-surface countertops.) Of course we'll never know if Joe fairly remunerated his sisters for their labor, but he'd better have given them a significant portion of the profits.

8 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Here you go.  According to Zillow, it sold last month.  It looks like they had the brother and sister in bunk beds.  Maybe they needed more bedrooms  https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2300-S-17th-Ter_Leavenworth_KS_66048_M84989-81821

I'm sure they did, and if they didn't, they will soon. My best friend grew up in a split-foyer almost identical to Joe's. The master bedroom was a decent size, but the other two bedrooms were painfully small. Definitely not really shareable. Split-foyer basements are often damp and don't make good sleeping quarters, plus Joe has clearly staked out that room as his home office.

I'm surprised the baby has his own room already - doesn't the AAP recommend the baby sleep in the parents' room for the first year? Either way, with three kids, that house was getting crowded - and you can fairly assume more blessings are on the way down the road.

• Upvote 10

Joe & Elissa might have moved even beyond their 0.6–mile outlier’s location? Color me intrigued!  I’m back and following this ...crew! ?

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 12
  • Haha 8

23 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Here you go.  According to Zillow, it sold last month.  It looks like they had the brother and sister in bunk beds.  Maybe they needed more bedrooms  https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2300-S-17th-Ter_Leavenworth_KS_66048_M84989-81821

thanks for the link

I'm not surprised the house sold quickly. It has been kept up nicely. I could easily move into a house like that - most of the changes I'd make are cosmetic and easy. I remember when Joseph first got the house - it looked like he painted the whole thing beige so it looks like Elissa has been busy putting her own touch on things. I suspect they did move for more space - both for the children to have their own rooms and to get far enough away from Steve to have breathing room. 

• Upvote 11

On 9/2/2020 at 4:28 PM, fundiefan said:

My point was a statement was made on the blog, then removed less than a day later. It isn’t about the church & I make no claim on knowing anything other than that-the blog post was changed. In truth they could go to church in Tim Buk Too & it wouldn’t change the fact if was mentioned, then removed. 

2E27408A-8E48-443A-AEA3-D8FCEA62E12E.jpeg

3103F74A-86C6-4AAF-960E-8D7CABFA0C8A.jpeg

Thanks, glad was not imagining it!

I feel a bit stalker now, BUT if you look at Open Door Church's youtube account, there are a few Sunday sermons online and I'm pretty sure the Steve Maxwells and the Nathan Maxwells are there during a handshaking part of the service, about 17 mins in on the one that took place 3 weeks ago. Which suggests Open Door is their new church.

*HaHa but I wonder if they have all gone round getting themselves photographed or videoed at the WRONG church just to put FJ on the wrong foot. That would serve us right!*

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 1

I was just looking at Joe and Elissa’s house. They probably feel cramped in their current house and yet sad to say their houses (per person) are massive compared to the Rods and Anderson’s*!

* regardless where the Anderson’s end up their new place will still be too small for the number of people. 

• Upvote 8

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@kpmom, did you notice that a nearby home for sale was on Amelia Earhart Drive?  

I would never buy a house there, because I would have a hard time staying pleasant with visitors who made the "we got lost trying to find your house" joke for the umpteenth time.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 25
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

I would never buy a house there, because I would have a hard time staying pleasant with visitors who made the "we got lost trying to find your house" joke for the umpteenth time.

Reminds me of the time a colleague mentioned that something was located at 404 Something Drive and I deadpanned, “Must be hard to find.” *ba-dum-tisss*

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 18
  • Love 1

On 9/1/2020 at 7:18 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Continued from here:

Title is from @JemimaPuddle-Duck and is in honor of sons moving away from the borg collective and potentially setting up their own rules and having families who may dress to suit themselves 6 3/4 days of the week.  

Don’t mind me over here basking in my moment of FJ glory!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 12

Is this Sarah's bedroom in todays pic? There is a second bed in the picture. So, the "girls" still share the bedroom after Jesse moved out?

I have always thought that Sarah is an introvert (like myself) who likes more solitude and quietness. I have no proof of this theory except my gut feeling (maybe introverts recognize each other?). However, it must be hell on earth to be stuck with two roommates forever. It doesn't matter how much you like them, if you can't even have the smallest freedom in your life.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

I don't doubt they still share a bedroom, with "the girl's" names hung above their bunk as always. 

But, I think this picture is that general purpose room where they have play time & Teri did her back exercises and whatnot. That bed in the back looks like the one in the picture where all the kids were playing with doll houses.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Austrian Atheist said:

Is this Sarah's bedroom in todays pic? There is a second bed in the picture. So, the "girls" still share the bedroom after Jesse moved out?

I have always thought that Sarah is an introvert (like myself) who likes more solitude and quietness. I have no proof of this theory except my gut feeling (maybe introverts recognize each other?). However, it must be hell on earth to be stuck with two roommates forever. It doesn't matter how much you like them, if you can't even have the smallest freedom in your life.

Extrovert* here and when I read that Sarah had asked to re-join her sisters in their shared room, after receiving her own room but missing the sisters’ chatter and laughter, I thought I recognized a fellow Extro.

Reason: I get energy from being around people. Solitude? Meh, occasionally, now & then. When I was in my early / mid-30s (Sarah’s age at the time of her move back) it was more pronounced, and that’s when my kids were little and always around. 

I read the account of Sarah’s move back into the shared room as similar to my own, FWIW. 

* I’ve come to see introversion/extroversion as a spectrum, similar to sexuality or whatever the appropriate, coverall term is for Asperger’s, etc.  Sometimes I enjoy a few houses of alone-time. Sometimes in a gathering, I’ll feel shyness and will just listen rather than chime in. But even then, I come away feeling good for having been with people  

—————-

Optional reading: How my story parallels Sarah’s. I moved back in with my folks after college where I had roommates because I didn’t fancy living  alone.  Their house was big enough that we weren’t underfoot and I could pass a nice evening in my own room more comfortably just knowing there were people downstairs.  

We had a respectful, adult-adults relationship (more or less ? ) and after I’d started dating and found some women friends I eventually did move out to my own place, but was glad to get married & share a house again.  (Things changed later, LOL)

I was brought up to believe I was shy and introverted, not sure why. Big Mama & Big Daddy JB were great parents but oddly anti-social (except for their respective, large families of origin) and my best guess is they recognized my outgoing nature, and,  consciously or not, tried to bend my ways to their own. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Bless Sarah's sweet deluded heart! There she is tossing around publishing lingo like "copy editor" and all just like she knew about it all. :laughing-rollingyellow:

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Sara is not disclosing the book title yet. After summer/fall/winter/spring (days) with the moodys I don't know if she has any ideas left.

• Upvote 9

Yes, what could the title of the sequel to Finding Change be?

Loose Change?  Finding Change in the Cushions of Our Couch?  Finding Change in the Dryer After Doing a Load of Laundry?  Nothing Around Here Changes?

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 27

Hey, Sarah. Retired actual copy editor here. Let me fix your post for ya. 

——-

Test readers are hard at work and loving the book.

(Editor’s Note: If the test readers have to work hard, it’s not an endorsement.)

I’m in the midst of heavy edits but nearing the stage of less fewer edits. 

(Ed. Note: For countable things (the number of edits), use “fewer.”  For uncountable things (bean burrito filling), use “less.”)

Beautiful illustrations are being created.

(Ed. Note: Avoid using the passive voice. Instead write, “Illustrators are creating beautiful artwork.”  But also note that only God creates. Limit your use of such blasphemy in future.)

Mary’s cover is beyond gorgeous and in process.

(Ed. Note: Use active verbs to increase interest.  “Mary continues to progress with her cover artwork.”  Also: the term is “in progress,’” not “in process,” unless you’re referring to the artwork at a stage of a printing process.)

My parents are an incredible support team, enabling and helping me in any possible way.

(Ed. Note: Use “encouraging” rather than “enabling,” which for about the last 40 years has taken on a pejorative meaning, such as people enabling another person’s bad behavior.)

(Ed  Note: “in any possible way” sounds awkward and is distracting to your post but you’re not paying me for this so figure out a better phrase yourself. I’m tired.) 

I covet your prayers. This is an intense season but the finish line is in sight!

(Ed. Note: The verb “to covet” implies a dishonorable, greedy desire; see The Lord’s stated prohibitions against coveting another’s wife, house, goods, cattle, etc.

Use a positive verb such as appreciate, earnestly desire or ask for your prayers. And add the phrase “for me.” Otherwise you sound like a deity requesting kudos  

Or, write that “I hope you all are praying for me!”

(Ed. Note: Clarity needed: How is this season intense? Also: Fix your mixed metaphor, as seasons do not have finish lines.)

Sarah: Real copy editors work to ensure that the writer gets her point across clearly, in her own style but without sounding like a donkey!  Hire one! But not me! 

29 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Yes, what could the title of the sequel to Finding Change be?

Losing Hope? 

• Upvote 18
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 12

On 9/2/2020 at 11:31 AM, theologygeek said:

This place looks like a new build, inside and out, despite its age. And talk about immaculate. I picture Anna and Mary madly scrubbing cabinets and meticulously dusting ceiling fans before the house went on the market. I wish they'd come clean my house. I'm too lazy/tired/old to do it to the level of detail they put into the job.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 10

Sparing Change?

Change of a Vest?

Edited by Dominionatrix
Vest puns
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 10

13 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Also: the term is “in progress,’” not “in process,” unless you’re referring to the artwork at a stage of a printing process.)

Who even knows what she's referring to? :P 

5 hours ago, lilith said:

Rejecting Change is the only logical Maxhellion sequel to Finding Change.

Making Change

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 9/3/2020 at 5:27 PM, thoughtful said:

or we couldn't find your house, but we found your luggage

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

Rejecting Change. Because that’s what they do. They know what’s out there but they’re too scared and indoctrinated to actually attempt change.

or ‘Stevehovah Rejects Change, Everyone Goes along with It’

’Is Change Acceptable to Steve?’

’Steve Thinks about Change’

’Steve Dictates Any Change’

‘Changing According to Steve’.

• Upvote 11

As kids, when our feet were tired from museum hopping, we would go back to the hotel and put on different shoes--my dad would always say, "a change is as good as a rest".  So I propose: "A change is as good as a vest."

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 16
  • Love 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic