IGNORED

Maxwell 42: The Young and the Vestless

Coconut Flan

New post up.  Steve and Teri found a Cozy Coupe in the garbage during a walk so they stole it and fixed it up for the Maxgrands.

Edited by SPHASH
Spellcheck
  • Upvote 9

We still have our old Cozy Coupe or Coky Coupe as one of the girls called it.  Since there may not be another grandchild to use it, I might ask my middle daughter if her friend Cyndi would like it for adopted foster daughter.   We'll clean it up first.  

I don't think my girls ever gave each other tickets.

2 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

We still have our old Cozy Coupe or Coky Coupe as one of the girls called it.  Since there may not be another grandchild to use it, I might ask my middle daughter if her friend Cyndi would like it for adopted foster daughter.   We'll clean it up first.  

ETA:  If I ever get another MINI Cooper, I might name it Cozy Coupe especially if it's red.

Damn,  I quoted myself again!

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I wonder why the emphasis on tickets...and how, without television, they would have known such a thing existed. Somebody must have gotten pulled over with Joe in the car. Or maybe they saw someone else getting pulled over and pointed them out to the kids as a morality lesson.

I wonder if there's an intended recipient of the comment about "iPads and computer games" and how they would still have chosen the Cozy Coupe instead of electronics even if that option had existed in their kids' day - or if it's just a jab at the worldly outside world where siblings always hate each other and every kid is in front of his or her own screen 24/7 from birth.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6

I took it to mean Steve got pulled over for speeding often enough that the kids took it as something completely normal. You drive, you get a ticket.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 23

I like to imagine that the caption under the photo of Kyle & Axton should be, "If you don't pick up your feet Kyle, so that I can push you and we can leave, we'll have to hear about grandpa's reversal again."

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 26

On 9/10/2020 at 7:23 PM, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

If you look very carefully you’ll see kitty is giving us all the middle finger.  Probably for judging him because of his early breakfast call.  Cats rule, it’s a fact.

Lol!  Once the princess poodle calms down a bit here, i'd love to adopt a kitty.

Edited by Granwych
Punctuation is my friend, really.
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 2

My family is also a big fan of cozy coupes but learned a few years ago to never, ever buy them new as they are impossible to put together. There were 3 adults and 5-6 degrees between us and we still couldn’t get the darn thing to become a car. We looked online for help and found comments like ‘I have 3 structural engineering degrees and this drove me to drink’. Finally through sheer force of will it got done.

That picture of Mary being pushed looks circa 1985, not the late 90s to me. I have a very nasty thought that even when the styles were bad the Maxwells were still out of style....but even back then they did have some really cute kids. Also there were definitely computer games when the Maxwell kids, both reversal and non, were young. I’m a bit older than Sarah and computer games were around when I was in elementary school.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 6

44 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

That picture of Mary being pushed looks circa 1985, not the late 90s to me. I have a very nasty thought that even when the styles were bad the Maxwells were still out of style....but even back then they did have some really cute kids. Also there were definitely computer games when the Maxwell kids, both reversal and non, were young. I’m a bit older than Sarah and computer games were around when I was in elementary school.

That is Anna, but yes I see what you mean.  The floor carpet screams 1980s and so does Anna's dress.  I have a feeling the reversal girls wore a lot of hand me downs from Sarah.

I guess Teri doesn't realize Atari, Nintendo, and Sega existed back in the 1980s-1990s.

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

As has been stated, it's Anna - she was born in 1992 so that's probably '94-'95 era. It is all very dated but that seems to be a fundie distinctive. They are so busy being "not of the world" that they choose frumpy, out-of-style clothes as if that makes them godly. The fact that they can't afford to shop anyplace more expensive than Salvation Army is also a likely factor, but they do seem to gravitate toward dated looks because then people will know that they're Christians.

I seriously wonder what fundies are doing with the fact that A-line denim skirts are trending right now...

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

I’ve known many little kids who’ve played with Cozy Coupes,  but ticket-giving was never part of the game. Fun was more important than Important Morality Lessons.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

Those curtains also scream 1980's. My parents had those same ugly curtains. 

• Upvote 3

I asked my daughter yesterday if she could ask her friend who adopted a little girl she'd fostered if she would like our Cozy Coupe  for her little girl..  Our is in decent enough condition for it being more than 30 years old and it's unlikely to get much use from grandkids.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 6

Swiftotter's web page updated their address. No street address, but it's in Olathe, KS. Not Leavenworth. 

Looks like Joe & Elissa did, in fact, fly the coop compound.

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 5

2 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Late to the party and a little too distracted to find it in my own — what did Danny do, please?  And thank you! 

Go back a couple posts on the Maxblog and you'll see it. He was playing Frisbee with 3nna and throwing wildly. She patiently put up with it, presuming he was just a little kid who couldn't throw very well (and probably trying to make a good impression on her new in-laws.) Then he admitted he was throwing it far so she would have to run a lot.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bethy said:

Go back a couple posts on the Maxblog and you'll see it. He was playing Frisbee with 3nna and throwing wildly. She patiently put up with it, presuming he was just a little kid who couldn't throw very well (and probably trying to make a good impression on her new in-laws.) Then he admitted he was throwing it far so she would have to run a lot.

You’re fast, thank you!  If a girl had done that, I doubt it would’ve been reported, because some little girl would’ve been in the prayer Cozy Coupe - impounded! 

• Upvote 8

Even if there were iPads and computer games then, we still would have chosen this sort of play.

The 'this is the sort of play we would have chosen to allow our children' phrasing feels super controlling to me and feels rather uncomfortable.  (Probably because my own parents still think they get to decide that for me in my 30s.)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

On 9/10/2020 at 11:14 PM, Black Aliss said:

Okay, I may be clueless about the frisbee tossing but I thought the point was to make the other person have to work to catch it. Within reason, of course. Rather like playing tennis--you don't hit the ball straight to your opponent but you keep it inside the lines. Now, if Anna, Jesse's wife, had been making it hard for a little kid to catch the frisbee, I agree that would have been bad form on her part.

Huh, I never heard of that. We threw a lot of frisbees when I was a kid and the point was to play catch. You wanted to throw well so that it went straight to the other person. A throw where they had to run was a bad throw.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

The 'this is the sort of play we would have chosen to allow our children' phrasing feels super controlling to me and feels rather uncomfortable.  (Probably because my own parents still think they get to decide that for me in my 30s.)

Meh, I just see it as another “look how much better our children are, playing in the Cozy Coupe instead of playing computer games. So much more wholesome” 

I had a cozy coupe. Loved it. My day care nursery that I worked in had a few Cozy Coupes - children loved them and we had to have a Sand timer to make sure everyone had a turn. All my friends children have / had one! They’re still really popular. Even with children who still get to watch tv. Nice try Maxwells, get over yourselves, that’s really not unique.

• Upvote 15

Here's exactly what Sarah wrote about Danny and the frisbee:

Jesse’s Anna was playing Frisbee with Danny, and often, she had to run quite a ways to retrieve it. But she was good-natured, thinking you can’t expect much skill out of a four-year-old. Later to her surprise, Danny announced to her: “I like to throw it far to watch you run!”

Silly little kids.

Shortly after, he threw it to her with accuracy. 

• Upvote 8

TIL that it’s officially called a Cozy Coupe.  I’ve just always referred to it as a “Little Tikes car.”

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Sarah continues to discuss how much editing she’s doing on her tiny little, terribly written children’s book. You’d think she was working on the new edition of the OED with the way she talks.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

On 9/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, anachronistic said:

Also there were definitely computer games when the Maxwell kids, both reversal and non, were young. I’m a bit older than Sarah and computer games were around when I was in elementary school.

Cozy Coupes originally came out in 1979. Video games were not only available, but were super popular when the Maxwell kids were young.

Sarah is several years younger than me, and I cannot remember NOT having some variety of video or computer game. Pong, Atari, Nintendo, games on cassette or cartridge that plugged into the Commodore Vic-20...

Teri seems all "back in the good old days..." but then seems to be remembering her own childhood, not her children's childhood. Maybe the kids weren't allowed those games, but they definitely existed.

• Upvote 13

• Coconut Flan locked this topic