IGNORED

Government Response to Coronavirus 6: Dr. MyPillow and Demon Sperm

GreyhoundFan

There was a hugely serious piece on the main evening news in Ireland last night when our Minister for Foreign Affairs addressed the Dail (our parliament) and announced that after protracted negotiations with the North Pole, he could announce that Santa was now cleared to come to Ireland this year.

Completely poker-faced, he announced that Santa would be following all the appropriate public health advice, including sanitising his hands between each house. Social distancing would hopefully not be a problem if the children of Ireland would co-operate by going to bed early that night.

The absolute most hilarious bit of it was that the other reps sitting in the Dail that day didn't react, just stared boredly into space, like they would if it was a speech on tax or beef subsidies or library funding. It felt SO real!! 

I cannot tell you how much good it did my heart to see that, sandwiched between all the gloom and worry of Covid and Brexit...

:laughing-rolling:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

The absolute most hilarious bit of it was that the other reps sitting in the Dail that day didn't react, just stared boredly into space, like they would if it was a speech on tax or beef subsidies or library funding. It felt SO real!! 

That is awesome! We are doing a virtual meet with Santa with my son tomorrow, no idea how this will go. It has been a bonus for the medically fragile kids at my son's school though, lower risk.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

Well I guess this means Santa will have to come to the United States last, after visiting the other countries. I know other countries are not letting people from the United States visit now...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Well I guess this means Santa will have to come to the United States last, after visiting the other countries. I know other countries are not letting people from the United States visit now...

Actually, Dr. Fauci says that Santa can't get or give Covid 19, so he's good to go.  (Jolly old elves fueled by Holiday Magic are immune.)  He and his reindeer are welcome in the USA.

• Upvote 5

48 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Actually, Dr. Fauci says that Santa can't get or give Covid 19, so he's good to go.  (Jolly old elves fueled by Holiday Magic are immune.)  He and his reindeer are welcome in the USA.

Don't tell my kids this. We told them the dumb elf on the shelf my MIL bought without consulting us first is late because of Covid 19 because we keep forgetting to get it out of the basement after they go to bed.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

@Ali I’m see that some folks are putting the elf inside of so,etching with a sign that says he has to quarantine for 14 days.  

• Haha 4

On 11/27/2020 at 12:04 PM, IrishCarrie said:

There was a hugely serious piece on the main evening news in Ireland last night when our Minister for Foreign Affairs addressed the Dail (our parliament) and announced that after protracted negotiations with the North Pole, he could announce that Santa was now cleared to come to Ireland this year.

Completely poker-faced, he announced that Santa would be following all the appropriate public health advice, including sanitising his hands between each house. Social distancing would hopefully not be a problem if the children of Ireland would co-operate by going to bed early that night.

I cannot tell you how much good it did my heart to see that, sandwiched between all the gloom and worry of Covid and Brexit...

:laughing-rolling:

Did he take into account the physics of Santa Claus?  If Santa has to visit about 822.6 houses a second what will the extra time spent sanitizing one's hands do to his rate?  Will he be able to keep up with that rate? 

• Move Along 1
  • Haha 5

COVID has had an impact on state houses 

Efforts to require lawmakers and staff to wear masks have received a cool reception even in statehouses that have seen outbreaks of the virus.

Nearly 200 legislators nationwide have tested positive for the virus and four have died from COVID-19 since the pandemic began, according to figures compiled by The Associated Press. 

After at least four dozen Mississippi lawmakers tested positive in the largest outbreak in a legislature, where masks were encouraged but not required for lawmakers.

If the four who passed were anti maskers who worshipped at the altar of Lame Duck a L’Orange I figure bed made lie. But if they were people who did not and went ahead with their duties to their people that’s more to be laid at the GOP’s feet. 

• I Agree 2

#CovidKim strikes once again

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds says there are no plans to use millions of dollars of unused state surplus money to help businesses and families experiencing financial stress due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Some other states have approved state funding aid or are considering it. Reynolds said Tuesday there isn’t enough state money. She placed the burden on Congress to reach an agreement.

She can't be bothered to spend money to help people but is all about making sure connected companies are taken care of.   

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 3

10 hours ago, 47of74 said:

She can't be bothered to spend money to help people but is all about making sure connected companies are taken care of.   

Okay I see so much irony here. as a self-proclaimed conservative republican, she is sure eager to go for the handouts and as they like to say, "suck off the public teat". I shake my head and frustration at those who scream so loudly against welfare, against healthcare for all, against bringing college costs down, against childcare programs, and against spending money that would bring good to many people who are the first in line to try to get the government to pay for what they want.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

19 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I honestly can't see what she thinks she is doing here - is the plan that enough people get sick that there is herd immunity and screw the dead and long term impaired? Is the plan to wait for a vaccine and then vaccinate the "important" people (who may or may not include healthcare workers) and screw the dead, long term impaired and "unimportant" people? Is there a plan at all? 

I am at the stage of hoping she ends up on a ventilator with long term, debilitating symptoms frankly. She should be utterly bloody ashamed that the state she governs, which has 7.3x less population than my state, whose population is spread over a much larger area in smaller cities and towns, which should be a relatively easy state to manage and control clusters in is in such an horrifically bad situation.  Corrupt, incompetent mismanagement doesn't even begin to describe it - it's the utter disregard for anyone at risk that she doesn't consider important enough that gets me. 

If there's one long term impact that I'll be interested to see from this it's demographic - if they need people to fill jobs left by the dead, well, they're going to have to come in from elsewhere - and that could trigger a lot of change.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

I honestly can't see what she thinks she is doing here - is the plan that enough people get sick that there is herd immunity and screw the dead and long term impaired? Is the plan to wait for a vaccine and then vaccinate the "important" people (who may or may not include healthcare workers) and screw the dead, long term impaired and "unimportant" people? Is there a plan at all? 

I am at the stage of hoping she ends up on a ventilator with long term, debilitating symptoms frankly. She should be utterly bloody ashamed that the state she governs, which has 7.3x less population than my state, whose population is spread over a much larger area in smaller cities and towns, which should be a relatively easy state to manage and control clusters in is in such an horrifically bad situation.  Corrupt, incompetent mismanagement doesn't even begin to describe it - it's the utter disregard for anyone at risk that she doesn't consider important enough that gets me. 

If there's one long term impact that I'll be interested to see from this it's demographic - if they need people to fill jobs left by the dead, well, they're going to have to come in from elsewhere - and that could trigger a lot of change.

Well #CovidKim was auditioning for a cabinet post in the fuck face administration so that meant doing as little as possible about the pandemic.  And she thinks the results of the 2020 election here in Iowa with fuck face winning the electoral votes and Joni winning reelection plus the Democrats losing the US House IA-1 and (apparently) IA-2 seats with expanding their majority in the legislature are a stamp of approval for her fucked up handling of the whole thing.   I've given up on Iowa and the second a good paying job materializes outside Iowa I am fucking GONE.  I think as the people with IQs above room temperature like me decide they've had fucking enough of this stinking shit pile of a state and decide to leave the demographics will change and only the reich wingers will be left.

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 5

Iowa Is What Happens When Government Does Nothing

The story of the coronavirus in this state is one of government inaction in the name of freedom and personal responsibility. Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds has followed President Donald Trump’s lead in downplaying the virus’s seriousness. She never imposed a full stay-at-home order for the state and allowed bars and restaurants to open much earlier than in other places. She imposed a mask mandate for the first time this month—one that health-care professionals consider comically ineffectual—and has questioned the science behind wearing masks at all. Through the month of November, Iowa vacillated between 1,700 and 5,500 cases every day. This week, the state’s test-positivity rate reached 50 percent. Iowa is what happens when a government does basically nothing to stop the spread of a deadly virus.

“In a lot of ways, Iowa is serving as the control group of what not to do,” Eli Perencevich, an infectious-disease doctor at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, told me. Although cases dropped in late November—a possible result of a warm spell in Iowa—Perencevich and other public-health experts predict that the state’s lax political leadership will result in a “super peak” over the holidays, and thousands of preventable deaths in the weeks to come. “We know the storm’s coming,” Perencevich said. “You can see it on the horizon.”

Iowa’s problem is not that residents don’t want to do the right thing, or that they have some kind of unique disregard for the health of their neighbors. Instead, they looked to elected leaders they trust to tell them how to navigate this crisis, and those leaders, including Trump and Reynolds, told them they didn’t need to do much at all. (Although some residents have certainly deliberately ignored the advice of public-health experts.) “When our strategies are not consistent with CDC evidence, when we are not adhering to even the advice of the White House task force, it raises questions in people’s minds on the seriousness of the pandemic and the validity of the mitigation strategies,” Lina Tucker Reinders, the executive director of the Iowa Public Health Association, told me. “People don’t necessarily know what the right thing to do is.”

I disagree though with her statement that Iowans do want to do the right thing.  The 2020 election has shown otherwise.  They put in people like fuck face and #CovidKim.  The second I can I am leaving.  Sometimes I even think of burning all my Hawkeyes stuff - that's how much I'm coming to despise Iowa now.

• Upvote 2

What an adult's response to COVID-19 looks like.

Joe Biden said Thursday that he will ask Americans to commit to 100 days of wearing masks as one of his first acts as president, stopping just short of the nationwide mandate he’s pushed before to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

The move marks a notable shift from President Donald Trump, whose own skepticism of mask-wearing has contributed to a politicization of the issue. That’s made many people reticent to embrace a practice that public health experts say is one of the easiest ways to manage the pandemic, which has killed more than 275,000 Americans.

The president-elect has frequently emphasized mask-wearing as a “patriotic duty” and during the campaign floated the idea of instituting a nationwide mask mandate, which he later acknowledged would be beyond the ability of the president to enforce.

Speaking with CNN’s Jake Tapper, Biden said he would make the request of Americans on Inauguration Day, Jan. 20.

Awaiting the Branch Trumpvidian freak out over this.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

Why the fuck am I not surprised?

After facing a workforce shortage for months, Iowa awarded an emergency $2.3 million contact-tracing contract to a company that has worked for the campaigns of President Donald Trump and Gov. Kim Reynolds and is owned by a Republican insider.

The Iowa Department of Public Health selected Iowa City-based MCI for the contract out of 14 applicants, saying it submitted the best proposal and that political considerations did not play a role.

Democratic state Sen. Joe Bolkcom of Iowa City, ranking member of the appropriations committee, called the bidding process “terrible” because vendors had only 36 hours to apply.

“We knew for weeks and weeks we weren’t keeping up with contact-tracing. Suddenly we have this emergency and a competitive process that’s meaningless,” he said. “Now we have hired this company that has these close ties to the governor. This just reeks of inside dealing.”

• WTF 6

I've seen where people have made little masks for the Elf on the Shelf figures, and the 14 day quarantine does give parents an excuse to delay it. I do know someone who has the white beard so he does Santa every year, but is just doing virtual visits because of the pandemic.

I'm also waiting for the Branch Trumpvidians to freak out over Biden's suggestion to wear masks for 100 days. 1606687217667.jpg.1500bead702086cbda504b33b243d465.jpg

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I'm also waiting for the Branch Trumpvidians to freak out over Biden's suggestion to wear masks for 100 days.

Without a potent legal threat/consequence for non-mask-wearing, I believe they're going to continue to make their political statements without regard to those it may sicken and kill.  Biden, AFAIC, needs to make much more than a suggestion.

I went grocery shopping a few days ago.  I was resisting, but it was time.  In one store*, aside from the usual occasional asshole with mask under nose, there was one miscreant who recognized another shopper and took off his own mask to say hello and chat.  This was a few feet away from me - I was on line - and I loudly made it clear this wasn't ok.  Miscreant put his mask back on.  I went to another line.  This is why I've been double-masking while shopping and will continue to do so.  Fuck these people.

*I had, admittedly, tempted fate by going into a supermarket I haven't been in for a long time.  I've been otherwise sticking with stores that have demonstrated good compliance.  Went in because I was nearby and knew they had what I needed.  Mentioned the incident to an employee and got a shrug.  Another store to personally boycott and tell the people I know to stay away from.

• Upvote 5

San Fransisco Bay area is going back into lockdown. There go my big plans of going to the container store this weekend.

• Love 5

10 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Gollum loves caseses.

So yeah. Cases are about two weeks ahead of deaths. Seriously, what is it with these arseholes?

• Upvote 2

According to the Russian epic of Cinderella if shoe fits...

New nickname for Matt Putz has been acquired.  

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

So yeah. Cases are about two weeks ahead of deaths. Seriously, what is it with these arseholes?

According to his campaign website, he's a pro-life, pro-gun, pro-Trump guy, so being a complete jackass is his natural state.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a2767decd708ef25250eb3b7484178ec.png

• Upvote 4