IGNORED

Maxwell 40: Wearing Their Vests in an Apartment for Fun

Coconut Flan

Vestworld is appropriate cos the Maxwells live their lives on a loop according to their programming.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 14
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think newborns all look like Winston Churchill.

My "just born" photo in my baby book is so awful I used to stare at it as a child in a kind of horrified fascination...I couldn't believe it was actually me.  :pb_lol:

My 3-month is not much better because I was a heavy drooler, but at least I was chunky with big blue eyes...not a squished alien with crazy hair.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think newborns all look like Winston Churchill. I really don’t know why people don’t wait and do a 3 month professional photo shoot. They are all about 1000% cuter by then. They also smile and are a bit chubbier. It’s basically a cuteness overload.

Actual quote from Winston Churchill: “All babies look like me. But then, I look like all babies.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

My "just born" photo in my baby book is so awful I used to stare at it as a child in a kind of horrified fascination...I couldn't believe it was actually me.  :pb_lol:

I think most newborns are not very cute. I remember when my oldest was born it was the first time I had seen a baby younger than about a week old. I was horrified. Completely and totally in love with her but I also thought she was really ugly. Even  a few days later she was much better looking and by 2-3 months she was really adorable. Now she is gorgeous and I am not just saying that because she's mine. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

My son’s six week photo is really cute. He looks really chunky and the photographer caught him in a smile. 
My daughter’s? Even she says it is awful. The photographer caught her mid-wiggle and cross-eyed in most of them. Her outfit is adorable, though. 

• Upvote 7

Backing up a bit (because I made a post, and it disappeared, and then the 39 thread ended) but can we talk about Anna working in the Maxwell garden? First of all, I wear skirts (long skirts, even) more than the average person but you know where I would never attempt to wear a skirt? In the garden. Even if I wasn't trying to play catch-up after letting the weeds get out of hand, there's just no way I can think of to do gardening in a skirt. And Anna (with the sporty just-below-the-knee skirts) isn't the primary gardener. Her sister-in-law is. The one with the prairie dresses.

Also, the "discarded" carpeting they put down in their garden is the unbelievably white. I know they had that color in their living room because I often wondered how on earth they kept it clean with so many kids. Even with no pets, strict scheduling (so, no carrying around random between-meal snacks) and those ridiculous bibs on school-age children...how? And now I'm more curious than I ought to be about whether they've redone the living room. If CMax is replacing harder-to-clean facets of his childhood home to make things easier for his sick wife when she comes home, then I think more highly of him.

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m truly disappointed there are so few pictures of Elliot with his eyes open. AxMax has eyes that see into your soul. I hope his little brother has them too.

3908521D-C97E-4D21-840D-1770C25A5462.jpeg

The shadows on this particular shot are awful. I don't know how they thought these pics would turn out good at all. If you look at the behind-the-scenes snap from Chelsy, you see that Sarah is standing between the window and the boys, leaning over them to take the picture, and John is also standing there, trying to get Ax's attention. If you want to be a natural-light photographer, fine - but don't stand in your own light!

Remember when we used to think Sarah was the best photographer in the family? I seriously wonder if she's just given up and is phoning it in on everything she does. Because these are not what I expected from her. She really very well may be depressed. She's dealing with the loss of another brother, this one to farther away than anyone has dared to go, plus the added grief of seeing yet another one of the children WHO SHE RAISED get married while she sits at home. But can she go on meds to help even things out, or even see a therapist to talk through what's going on and come up with strategies for coping? No. She gets to do Bible studies and schedule her life in 15-minute blocks because that "cured" her mother.

Edited by Bethy
I forgot stuff
  • Upvote 16

1 hour ago, Bethy said:

First of all, I wear skirts (long skirts, even) more than the average person but you know where I would never attempt to wear a skirt?

I was in Peace Corps--in that day [89--91] the dictator in Malawi mandated skirts or dresses only for any female any age. Those ladies in Malawi did everything in a skirt. Come to that, my brr's Mom drove a tractor [parallel parked it with two grain wagons attached!] in a dress she sewed herself. Dresses aren't that bit a deal. While women started wearing pants in the 1930s, many didn't own them until the 60s or later. I'll give her a pass on gardening or anything in a skirt. A fellow Peace Corps trained for marathons with a big denim skirt over leggins!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

@IReallyAmHopewell,  I think it's fantastic the you were in the Peace Corps!  

The village women in Tanzania pretty much as wear long skirts and they do everything from tending their gardens, hauling water to tending their children in those skirts.  And look damn graceful doing it. 

• Love 2

9 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Off topic but worth mentioning, Melanie is on Facebook.

There are SO many Facebook pages for Melanie Maxwell......not sure which one is her.

• Upvote 2

New post on salad making at the Maxwell home.

Totally skipped over the obvious spot to have taught us how they use the pizza cutter on their lettuce (I randomly had a dream that someone at Luke's Diner, from Gilmore Girls, was doing that but with a quilting rotary cutter two nights ago, so funny that a Maxwell lettuce post happened since that was obviously the origin of that whole thing!)

Also she completely omitted a picture of any assembled salad. (So that also excluded showing some of what they say they add, and as there was no mention of dressing, maybe they eat them dry. Or Teri just forgot that also?)

So Maxwellian of them.

• Upvote 12

13 hours ago, Bethy said:

Backing up a bit (because I made a post, and it disappeared, and then the 39 thread ended) but can we talk about Anna working in the Maxwell garden? First of all, I wear skirts (long skirts, even) more than the average person but you know where I would never attempt to wear a skirt? In the garden. Even if I wasn't trying to play catch-up after letting the weeds get out of hand, there's just no way I can think of to do gardening in a skirt. And Anna (with the sporty just-below-the-knee skirts) isn't the primary gardener. Her sister-in-law is. The one with the prairie dresses.

Also, the "discarded" carpeting they put down in their garden is the unbelievably white. I know they had that color in their living room because I often wondered how on earth they kept it clean with so many kids. Even with no pets, strict scheduling (so, no carrying around random between-meal snacks) and those ridiculous bibs on school-age children...how? And now I'm more curious than I ought to be about whether they've redone the living room. If CMax is replacing harder-to-clean facets of his childhood home to make things easier for his sick wife when she comes home, then I think more highly of him.

The shadows on this particular shot are awful. I don't know how they thought these pics would turn out good at all. If you look at the behind-the-scenes snap from Chelsy, you see that Sarah is standing between the window and the boys, leaning over them to take the picture, and John is also standing there, trying to get Ax's attention. If you want to be a natural-light photographer, fine - but don't stand in your own light!

Remember when we used to think Sarah was the best photographer in the family? I seriously wonder if she's just given up and is phoning it in on everything she does. Because these are not what I expected from her. She really very well may be depressed. She's dealing with the loss of another brother, this one to farther away than anyone has dared to go, plus the added grief of seeing yet another one of the children WHO SHE RAISED get married while she sits at home. But can she go on meds to help even things out, or even see a therapist to talk through what's going on and come up with strategies for coping? No. She gets to do Bible studies and schedule her life in 15-minute blocks because that "cured" her mother.

Steve can’t even keep her knocked up to take her mind off it like he did Teri. Time to give up the Pepsi Sarah, then god might stop punishing you with crippling depression and help you forget the unchanging monotony of your life.

1 hour ago, jakesykora said:

New post on salad making at the Maxwell home.

Totally skipped over the obvious spot to have taught us how they use the pizza cutter on their lettuce (I randomly had a dream that someone at Luke's Diner, from Gilmore Girls, was doing that but with a quilting rotary cutter two nights ago, so funny that a Maxwell lettuce post happened since that was obviously the origin of that whole thing!)

Also she completely omitted a picture of any assembled salad. (So that also excluded showing some of what they say they add, and as there was no mention of dressing, maybe they eat them dry. Or Teri just forgot that also?)

So Maxwellian of them.

We may not have been blessed with the divine secrets of pizza wheel cut lettuce, but we were lucky enough to get unnecessary and overly complex details of how many jars Teri uses to make salad, with the handy hint that you will need less jars if one salad is going directly into a serving bowl.

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 4

Had a horrible thought. Or maybe it's because I have not had coffee yet. Just how bad was Teri's depression? Do any of you remember Andrea Yates? She drowned all of her children. They kept having children for religious reasons. Doctors advised them to stop for Andrea's emotional health. Well you know the rest of the story. Wonder if Steve remembers this in the news and considers themselves lucky that Teri didn't go off the deep end. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Had a horrible thought. Or maybe it's because I have not had coffee yet. Just how bad was Teri's depression? Do any of you remember Andrea Yates? She drowned all of her children. They kept having children for religious reasons. Doctors advised them to stop for Andrea's emotional health. Well you know the rest of the story. Wonder if Steve remembers this in the news and considers themselves lucky that Teri didn't go off the deep end. 

Steve kept a very close eye on Teri when her depression was at its worst, calling home regularly and deputising the three older kids. Apparently it wasn’t uncommon for the kids to spend the whole day in their rooms doing worksheets til Steve got home in the evening. So between his penchant for micromanaging and the older kids being teens (or almost teens) when Teri started back to back child bearing Teri had constant supervision and some level of support.

• Upvote 12

I use wide-mouth jars for Steve’s and narrow-mouth ones for mine.

I’ve put myself into the prayer closet. 

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 22
  • Love 2

God those salads are depressing. Always the same ingredients too. I'd add green beans, peas, corn, soja sprouts, radishes, cucumber, beetroot, seeds for crunchiness.,... Maybe little gherkins or other pickled veg... Olives too perhaps if that's allowed in their diet. Or fruit, just for a contrast in taste. 

And I would not prepare them in advance, vitamins keep better if the veg has not been diced. 

• Upvote 7

And here they are again. Thinking something they do is so new & innovative they have to make a post about it. A very sad one at that. Salads in mason jars is not a new or original idea. The world has been there, done that. With much better results, I might add. 

• Upvote 15

5 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

And here they are again. Thinking something they do is so new & innovative they have to make a post about it. A very sad one at that. Salads in mason jars is not a new or original idea. The world has been there, done that. With much better results, I might add. 

Pinterest was covered in this type of thing 2-3 years ago. Steve and Teri would know this if they had any clue as to what Pinterest is.

• Upvote 9

Those salads are "huge" and the "mainstay" of their daily menu? Um. They look like something I would eat if I’m hungry but don’t want to spoil my appetite for dinner. 

Edited by Exchange Atheist
grammar was bugging me
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Pinterest was covered in this type of thing 2-3 years ago. Steve and Teri would know this if they had any clue as to what Pinterest is.

McDonalds sold salads in a shaker ( plastic jar) 18-20 years ago!  They were great!  But I hated spending money on them.  

The local hospital bloodbank would give you a coupon for McDonalds if you gave blood.. so my co workers and I would go give blood when we had a case( CPS social workers) that took us to the hospital.  As long as we did not have a pressing case work was ok with us giving when we were there.  Then I would swing by the McD on my way back to work and take my salad to lunch!  lol

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, NoseyNellie said:

McDonalds sold salads in a shaker ( plastic jar) 18-20 years ago!  They were great!  But I hated spending money on them.  

The local hospital bloodbank would give you a coupon for McDonalds if you gave blood.. so my co workers and I would go give blood when we had a case( CPS social workers) that took us to the hospital.  As long as we did not have a pressing case work was ok with us giving when we were there.  Then I would swing by the McD on my way back to work and take my salad to lunch!  lol

I ate quite a few of those salad shakers! I was a teenager trying to lose weight (I did lose 80lbs) and that was the only healthy thing on the menu anytime we went to McDonalds. And yes, they were much more expensive than a hamburger and fries.

• Upvote 4

@NoseyNellie, I remember those!  I think the concept started some public discussion on the cost of healthy eating, because those salads were like $7 or $8, while a hamburger and fries were $1 each.   

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Tomorrow--refrigerator oats in cute little jars!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

So this is the first Maxwell post where I was actually hoping to learn something since I've recently embarked on a clean eating regime (day 14) and am in search of clean salad dressings and recipes.

So they buy their dressings their non-descript dressings.  That was super helpful!

(My son does the mason jar thing and has for a while, I will say they make food look adorable.)

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic