IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 6: So Boring I Couldn't Find a Funny Quote

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Hazel has gotten super popular in the last few years. It used to never be used and then suddenly it was in the top 100 baby names. Sloane is still not too popular. 

Yeah, I've seen it popping up a lot more the last few years. I forgot that Sloane was the name in Ferris Bueller. I had a customer who'd come into the store named Sloane years ago when I still worked there and always thought it was a nice name, Although its possible the movie is where her parents got the name since she was probably born around that time.

Edited by JordynDarby5
  • Upvote 4

An HS classmate named her daughter Sloane back in... 2010?

Of course, I always think of the various Sloane families in L.M. Montgomery's books.

Willow, Hazel... sounds like they're planning to create a forest.

Edited by AmericanRose
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

Hazel is actually the most popular name. Hazel was #33 in popularity in 2019 in the USA.

Julia Roberts was one of the first more recent uses of the name Hazel.

Hazel is also the heroine in The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

Willow is #46 in popularity in 2019. Both Willow and Hazel have been steadily rising in popularity. 

Sloane is also rising, but it was at #190 for girls last year. I'm not sure why it's rising. Ferris Bueller was a long time ago. 

• Upvote 9

Oh yes haZel and phineus the twins. 

Also I just watched their professional gender reveal. After how many babies will this become tiresome and to expensive? 

• Upvote 9

57 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Oh yes haZel and phineus the twins. 

Also I just watched their professional gender reveal. After how many babies will this become tiresome and to expensive? 

Well, they do have a TV show that they're filming for that probably covers some of the costs. And Josie, Carlin, Whitney, and Alyssa are all considered influencers on Instagram (based on their followers and promotions). They need to keep posting content like those gender reveals in order to keep their followers engaged and to get those views in order to make money off their social media.

So, these gender reveals aren't exactly frivolous when you think of it in terms of them working- because that's what they're doing. I don't think influencing is the most sustainable career choice, but it does mean that their children won't grow up in the same level of poverty that they did. And of course there's the downside of making their fundamentalism look more attractive to people with little knowledge of its dark side, but they have really toned down on the religious posts in the last few years compared to how everything used to have to have a Bible verse in it... but I digress!

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Hazel is actually the most popular name. Hazel was #33 in popularity in 2019 in the USA.

Not surprised that Josie has chosen that name. She is extremely cautious of not leaving the trend path. I'm sure her outfits and home decor will change as trends change, not because she develops a new taste.

3 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

It would have been a great theme if they were new age or crunchy haha.

Anyway, if they are using Nature-related names on purpose, I think it's a beautiful idea. And frankly, more classy than all those Maci Laci Kaci Taci sort of names (which sound nice alone, but not when several sisters and cousins have them). 

I think Josie's favourite name was Brooklyn. It was a blessing in disguise when Erin "stole" it. It Willow was Brooklyn, Hazel will be Queens haha.

• Upvote 12

Hazel is one of my favorite names, I think it's lovely and goes very well with Willow. 

I don't like Sloane at all though. I've read that in English words starting with sl tend to have a negative connotation, so maybe it's that. (Think slime, sludge, slither, slut, slag, slash, slush, sloth, slug, slovenly, slaughter, slob, slam, etc.)

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Hazel has gotten super popular in the last few years. It used to never be used and then suddenly it was in the top 100 baby names. Sloane is still not too popular. 

I know multiple women with daughters named Hazel.  Definitely popular these days.

• Upvote 6

Maybe it's because English is not my first language, but I'm having a really hard time pronouncing "Hazel Sloane Balka" - all those "l"s in a row make me feel like I'm gargling. Lovely name otherwise. :)

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

Hazel was my great grandmother's name, and I always considered using it if I had a daughter. But then my aunt named her dog Hazel and I feel like it would be weird to name my kid the same thing as the dog. And when I first thought about using it, it wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. 

I went to school with a girl named Sloan (born in the late 80s), and I have 2 friends from college with daughters named Sloane (born in the 2010s).

• Upvote 5

On 2/17/2021 at 11:20 PM, llucie said:

People on reddit seem convinced its a girl and will be called Hazel based on some leaks from her baby journal she accidentally posted on a story. Also that she suffers too from the clotting dissorder and she is allergic to the medication for it. 

I wonder if this will be her last then? Kelton wouldn’t know what to do without her and wouldn’t want to leave their kids without a mom. 

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1

Sloane reminds me of the show Entourage, which I'm TOTALLY sure these guys have seen!

/sarcasm. For anyone not familiar, this was a show that was on HBO and was allowed to show nudity and have curse words. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

Hazel was my great grandmother's name, and I always considered using it if I had a daughter. But then my aunt named her dog Hazel and I feel like it would be weird to name my kid the same thing as the dog. And when I first thought about using it, it wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. 

One of my cousins named their dog Ruby after our grandmother.  My mom was pretty insulted.  The family has 10 grandkids, but they named the *dog* Ruby?  LOL

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, hollyfeller said:

One of my cousins named their dog Ruby after our grandmother.  My mom was pretty insulted.  The family has 10 grandkids, but they named the *dog* Ruby?  LOL

My grandmother named her dog after her own father, so I guess it's sort of tradition in my family. And then my uncle named his son the same name, so we had to call them "dog *name*" and "person *name*" until the dog died when my cousin was 2 or 3.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

My grandmother named her dog after her own father, so I guess it's sort of tradition in my family. And then my uncle named his son the same name, so we had to call them "dog *name*" and "person *name*" until the dog died when my cousin was 2 or 3.

Shortly after my daughter was born one of my cousins named her new dog the same thing.  My gramma was upset and told me in what she thought was a soothing way, but I couldn't have cared less...then or now.

So someone I hadn't seen in years, who I didn't plan to see again used the same name?  I was okay with that.  And it's an adorable name.  I wonder if her dog chose the same confirmation name and my daughter?  :) 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

I'm thinking Sloane is a maiden name or lost last name of someone in either family. I love when people do that. 

I'm also guessing they will be like most fundies and give the girls this trendy forest theme, and the boys will like John and George. Though Kelton is a unique name. So maybe not!

• Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1

33 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

I'm thinking Sloane is a maiden name or lost last name of someone in either family. I love when people do that. 

I'm also guessing they will be like most fundies and give the girls this trendy forest theme, and the boys will like John and George. Though Kelton is a unique name. So maybe not!

I know a Sloane (last name) who grew up in TN.  I kind of don't hate it as a middle or even first name.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

I could see her going with something like “Bodhi Kelton Balka.”

• Upvote 8

14 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

She did grow up with a tree cutter as a father. So there is that connection. What's next? Oak? Pine? Maple?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Sloane might a maiden name/surname of someone they know, but it's very trendy so I doubt it. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 5

Hazel is a cute name and goes well with willow. I like the nature theme but it can get bad if they have more than 4-5 kids. There is not that many nice nature themed names. My bet for a boy would be Oakley since its also trendy and tree themed.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Maybe it's because English is not my first language, but I'm having a really hard time pronouncing "Hazel Sloane Balka" - all those "l"s in a row make me feel like I'm gargling. Lovely name otherwise. :)

She'll only have the name Balka for about 18 years until they marry her off, so no need to worry about the last name. Especially since she won't be going to school in a classroom. How often with she actually be using her full name?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic