IGNORED

Mills Family 4: Playing Magic for Jesus

nelliebelle1197

8 hours ago, under siege said:

Last public post on his page was 11/22 and it was a picture Sophia had drawn of her parent's wedding day. Was very sweet.   If he's doing lives on facebook he's no longer sharing them after the fact. 
Like you, I hope the lessened Youtube activity means he's finally being the parent his kids need.
Or perhaps there's a new special someone he has started to focus his attention on.

Thanks so much for the update.   I hope his absence is because of the kids, and not “someone.”    The children are in my prayers every day.  I hope they are getting to spend time with family/ friends, and to get outside of that house.  

• Upvote 1

I have some videos on YouTube and cannot figure out for the life of me how to mark them as for kids or adults! This is the first that i have  read about that!  I went and just made them all not visible to anyone without a link. They are almost all videos of my kids music performances that Inout there and then send the links to the Grandparents who live far away.

I am now worried because of that fine! I had better try to figure this out or download and delete them! I am sure YouTube will delete me anyway if they only are keeping channels who make them $ - I put up only a handful of amateur clips of middle school/high school band and orchestra! 

To keep on topic - this sounds like it could affect Tom and the monetization of the channel for sure. I don’t think kids should have to be on Video. When my kids were little I had a parenting blog and then I realized I shouldn’t put their stories and photos out there  - I deleted it - probably 18 years ago. I should have saved/printed first! Anything that goes online of my kids is friends only and pre-approved by them. I don’t think it’s fair of Tom to have his kids grief on display. 

Edited by CherylV
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, CherylV said:

I have some videos on YouTube and cannot figure out for the life of me how to mark them as for kids or adults! This is the first that i have  read about that!  I went and just made them all not visible to anyone without a link. They are almost all videos of my kids music performances that Inout there and then send the links to the Grandparents who live far away.

I am now worried because of that fine! I had better try to figure this out or download and delete them! I am sure YouTube will delete me anyway if they only are keeping channels who make them $ - I put up only a handful of amateur clips of middle school/high school band and orchestra! 

To keep on topic - this sounds like it could affect Tom and the monetization of the channel for sure. I don’t think kids should have to be on Video. When my kids were little I had a parenting blog and then I realized I shouldn’t put their stories and photos out there  - I deleted it - probably 18 years ago. I should have saved/printed first! Anything that goes online of my kids is friends only and pre-approved by them. I don’t think it’s fair of Tom to have his kids grief on display. 

Youtube messed up in a big way and now the ripple effect is being felt. There is so much panic, confusion and misinformation. I've watched some creators take on it and most are not helping the situation. It doesn't help when smaller/newer channels watch larger channels and get washed away in the tide of panic.
There are a few things to consider when trying to work out if you will be affected or not. Best thing to do first is to check your analytics to get an idea of who your audience is.

I think I've shared this before but will again as it helped me understand things
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9528076?hl=en

A friend sent me these links having watched another Youtuber who shared them (not sure who)

Creator Fundamental has some info that may help 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKXr9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weDIE

Some info from a social media lawyer may help also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnvj

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

47 minutes ago, under siege said:

Youtube messed up in a big way and now the ripple effect is being felt. There is so much panic, confusion and misinformation. I've watched some creators take on it and most are not helping the situation. It doesn't help when smaller/newer channels watch larger channels and get washed away in the tide of panic.
There are a few things to consider when trying to work out if you will be affected or not. Best thing to do first is to check your analytics to get an idea of who your audience is.

I think I've shared this before but will again as it helped me understand things

A friend sent me these links having watched another Youtuber who shared them (not sure who)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnvj

If one's videos aren't monetized, this is all moot, right? (I hope that's the case!!)

• I Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Petronella said:

If one's videos aren't monetized, this is all moot, right? (I hope that's the case!!)

Non-monetized channels will be affected as well.
I wasn't sure how so I  googled 'is coppa only affecting monetized channels' and came across this link.
https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/19143924?hl=en

This link had this answer:
"COPPA affects every video uploaded to YouTube whether monetised or not. This is because COPPA also restricts the use of comments, community tab, notifications, info cards and end screens, which are available to creators outside of the YouTube Partner Program."

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, under siege said:

Non-monetized channels will be affected as well.
I wasn't sure how so I  googled 'is coppa only affecting monetized channels' and came across this link.
https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/19143924?hl=en

This link had this answer:
"COPPA affects every video uploaded to YouTube whether monetised or not. This is because COPPA also restricts the use of comments, community tab, notifications, info cards and end screens, which are available to creators outside of the YouTube Partner Program."

Wow! Yikes! Okay, uh, now I feel overwhelmed...

I've primarily used YouTube to share personal videos with friends and family. They're all "unlisted" meaning you can only access them by using an exact link, not by searching or browsing for them. I always turn off comments. I hope I'm in the clear!!

What a strange law. I understand wanting to protect children. I'm all for it! But they seem to be not just going for specifically children's things, like a cartoon aimed at kids, but at anything a kid might enjoy, like videos of pets. That seems a crazy overreach! And to have it apply to all personal videos, not just commercialized ones, well...that's awfully broad! But I admit I don't understand it very well so perhaps I'm just not getting it.

• Upvote 3

Yes, from my reading, I think everyone creating content on youtube has to pick an audience whether or not the channel is monetized.  It can be done at the channel level and new content will default to that setting.  Or people can change the setting for individual content.

3 hours ago, CherylV said:

Don't panic but err on the side of caution.  I'm not a lawyer, but it looks as though you are not going to get into trouble for assuming all your videos "may" be attractive to children.  You will if you label it "adult" and COPPA and youtube disagree.

This video walks you through how to change your settings.  This change is to protect children.  By the sounds of it choosing "child directed" is the safest option.  And your channel is child directed because it features children doing things attractive to other children.  Playing music.

Spoiler

My bolding of the reasons why your channel is "child directed" regardless of the actual audience.  From this link provided by @under siege.   https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9528076?hl=en

We provide some guidance on what is considered  “made for kids” below, but we cannot provide legal advice. If you are unsure whether your videos meet this standard, we suggest you seek legal counsel. 

According to the FTC’s guidance on COPPA, a video is child directed (which we call “made for kids”) if:

Children are the primary audience based on the factors described below. 

Children are not the primary audience, but the video is still directed to children based on the factors below.

When deciding whether or not your channel or video is made for kids, you should consider various factors, including:

• Subject matter of the video (e.g. educational content for preschoolers).
  • Whether children are your intended or actual audience for the video.
  • Whether the video includes child actors or models.
  • Whether the video includes characters, celebrities, or toys that appeal to children, including animated characters or cartoon figures.
  • Whether the language of the video is intended for children to understand.
  • Whether the video includes activities that appeal to children, such as play-acting, simple songs or games, or early education.
  • Whether the video includes songs, stories, or poems for children.
  • Any other information you may have to help determine your video’s audience, like empirical evidence of the video’s audience.

1 hour ago, under siege said:

I got "unavailable" on these two links.  I wonder why they were taken down.

3 minutes ago, Petronella said:

What a strange law. I understand wanting to protect children. I'm all for it! But they seem to be not just going for specifically children's things, like a cartoon aimed at kids, but at anything a kid might enjoy, like videos of pets. That seems a crazy overreach! And to have it apply to all personal videos, not just commercialized ones, well...that's awfully broad! But I admit I don't understand it very well so perhaps I'm just not getting it.

If your content isn't monetized (running ads) then labeling it as "child directed" doesn't mean it gets taken down.  It means that you can't monetize the content in the future.  And you lose the comment section and a few other functions (also explained on the above video).  For videos that are not put up to make money and are primarily aimed at family and friends the changes may be annoying but aren't dire.

Again, err on the side of caution. And definitely consult a lawyer if you are worried. :)

I'd be willing to bet that youtube is going to institute big fees for people putting up *child directed* videos for Grandma and Grandpa in January.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

10 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'd be willing to bet that youtube is going to institute big fees for people putting up *child directed* videos for Grandma and Grandpa in January.

Thank you so much! Whew--great info.

Can I ask what you mean by this bit above?

Adding: I've now updated my two channels of personal, unlisted videos of classical church choir music to "child directed". I still think it's absurd. What the heck, youtube? Kids all excited about Bach's St Matthew Passion? And my teenage son practicing for his xylophone exam isn't exactly Peppa Pig. Harrumph!

Edited by Petronella
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2019 at 5:13 AM, Palimpsest said:

Yes, from my reading, I think everyone creating content on youtube has to pick an audience whether or not the channel is monetized.  It can be done at the channel level and new content will default to that setting.  Or people can change the setting for individual content.

Don't panic but err on the side of caution.  I'm not a lawyer, but it looks as though you are not going to get into trouble for assuming all your videos "may" be attractive to children.  You will if you label it "adult" and COPPA and youtube disagree.

This video walks you through how to change your settings.  This change is to protect children.  By the sounds of it choosing "child directed" is the safest option.  And your channel is child directed because it features children doing things attractive to other children.  Playing music.

Reveal hidden contents

My bolding of the reasons why your channel is "child directed" regardless of the actual audience.  From this link provided by @under siege.   https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9528076?hl=en

If your content isn't monetized (running ads) then labeling it as "child directed" doesn't mean it gets taken down.  It means that you can't monetize the content in the future.  And you lose the comment section and a few other functions (also explained on the above video).  For videos that are not put up to make money and are primarily aimed at family and friends the changes may be annoying but aren't dire.

Again, err on the side of caution. And definitely consult a lawyer if you are worried. :)

On 11/25/2019 at 2:59 AM, under siege said:

On 11/25/2019 at 5:13 AM, Palimpsest said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry about that, it was something to do with how I cut and paste the links from the message I received from my friend. I've loaded them directly on to my previous post.

Edited by Destiny
remove grammarly fuckery
  • Thank You 2

7 minutes ago, Petronella said:

Thank you so much! Whew--great info.

Can I ask what you mean by this bit?

Just that I think youtube is going to want profit from all content.  And they don't get it from providing a free social media service with no ads ... I'm a total cynic though. ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

Just that I think youtube is going to want profit from all content.  And they don't get it from providing a free social media service with no ads ... I'm a total cynic though. ;)

As I understand it from the model for games like Pokemon Go, having a base of free (or one-time, low-cost) users actually works very well, and keeps the game/service in question popular. Profits are made from the few big spenders who want the extra bells and whistles.

I really appreciate your info. I'm just gobsmacked. If I hadn't been reading this thread, I would not have heard of this at all.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Petronella said:

Adding: I've now updated my two channels of personal, unlisted videos of classical church choir music to "child directed". I still think it's absurd. What the heck, youtube? Kids all excited about Bach's St Matthew Passion? And my teenage son practicing for his xylophone exam isn't exactly Peppa Pig. Harrumph!

Actually it is what the heck, COPPA?  Youtube is just finally complying with the 2018  law having been slammed by massive fines.  I agree the legal definition is incredibly broad.  But I am not sorry that channels appealing to children are not going to be allowed to run ads.  And I'm not sorry that people like Tom aren't going to be able to film their children for profit on youtube any more.

This will certainly put a cramp in Tom's youtube income.  Essentially (and again I am not a lawyer) all the content that features his children playing games, opening gifts, or even homeschooling would fall under child directed.  Also the children's own channels fall under that too, IMO.  Tom will have to rely on his Glogs, Bible Study, and preachy videos for extra cash.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Actually it is what the heck, COPPA?  Youtube is just finally complying with the 2018  law having been slammed by massive fines.  I agree the legal definition is incredibly broad.  But I am not sorry that channels appealing to children are not going to be allowed to run ads.  And I'm not sorry that people like Tom aren't going to be able to film their children for profit on youtube any more.

This will certainly put a cramp in Tom's youtube income.  Essentially (and again I am not a lawyer) all the content that features his children playing games, opening gifts, or even homeschooling would fall under child directed.  Also the children's own channels fall under that too, IMO.  Tom will have to rely on his Glogs, Bible Study, and preachy videos for extra cash.

The timing could not have been worse for Tom as far as monetizing goes. Andrea's videos are for the most part family-friendly, and heavily feature kids, so most will need to be deemed as kid-friendly/focussed.  Even though he has to approve all the comments now, all those 1000s from the start may disappear (not sure how that will work)

The only ones that aren't kid focussed are the bs lives of Tom's plus all the ones of Andrea's last days.

Even though I understand the reasoning behind his decision to moneterize I've always had an ill feeling about it because it goes against Andrea's reasons for not monetizing.  I won't call it karma but it's almost as though she's still getting her way from beyond the grave.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

But I am not sorry that channels appealing to children are not going to be allowed to run ads.  And I'm not sorry that people like Tom aren't going to be able to film their children for profit on youtube any more.

Agree. I get that people who have gotten used to making money off children and using children are upset, but really is in the best interest of children to put a damper on this. 

ETA: I really wish Tom would lose all comments on his Youtube. It isn't right that his channel puts children in the spotlight and he has wiggled out of that rule and can still get comments. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

My phone app doesn’t have the “advanced settings” as an option even :( I’ll have to try on my computer. 

I also have an older YouTube channel with way more content that I can never log into again from a computer because the google account is corrupted with a crypto virus that took out 2 computers and my external hard drive in 2016. Even took it to professionals so much was lost and I abandoned the whole gmail account. The videos are there but I don’t dare log in. Of course no new content in 3 years. I would have never known about this if I wasn’t reading here!

I also had an even older gmail account that I jettisoned in my divorce over almost 13 years ago - I changed passwords and stuff to nonsense, never used it again, moved around and changed phone umbers and emails many times since. This is kind of a nightmare because I don’t have enough info to get that other account back. Of course maybe then they can’t let that one on me! 

I am hoping they will at least just delete channels with no new content in years instead of fining them. 

Edited by CherylV
Typos commenting from my phone

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

ETA: I really wish Tom would lose all comments on his Youtube. It isn't right that his channel puts children in the spotlight and he has wiggled out of that rule and can still get comments. 

He's complaining that he already had one of Andrea's old videos focused on the kids flagged by youtube as "made for children" (AKA child directed. )  He could appeal.  He thought the video was flagged just because it showed a cute shot of Solomon.  

The fines don't kick in until January, 2020 but the writing is on the proverbial wall for Tom.  Whether he understands that or not.   

He's not wiggled out of anything.  Yet.  IMO, he's going to have to de-monetize practically everything that features the kids, which will just leave his and Andrea's talking heads and his rocking in his recliner ruminating videos, or risk big fines. 

He needs to mark all the *iffy* content child directed by January.  It sounds as though when you mark content as "made for children" the comment area simply disappears.   So he will probably lose all those old comments. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, CherylV said:

My phone app doesn’t have the “advanced settings” as an option even :( I’ll have to try on my computer. I also have an older YouTube channel with way more content that I can never log into Again computer because the google account is corrupted with a crypto virus that took out 2 computers and my external hard drive in 2016. Even took it to professionals so much was lost and I abandoned the whole gmail account. The videos are there but I don’t dare log in. Of course no new content in 3 years. I would have never known about this if I wasn’t reading here! I also had an even older gmail account that I jettisoned in my divorced in 2008 - I changed passwords and stuff to nonsense and never used and moved and changed phone umbers and emails many times since. This is kind of a nightmare because I don’t have enough info to get that other account back. 

::Hugs::

You should be able to make the changes on the computer for your current channel.  I took a look and even I should be able to do it.  And I'm a complete doofus on the computer!

Re the older channel that you can't access because of the virus, that sounds awful.  But it probably happens to a lot of people.  People also forget passwords all the time so youtube probably has a lot of dead channels.   

I would document an effort to contact youtube about your inability to access that account and why, and request that the account be deleted.  Emails count as documentation.  So does registered mail.  But (usual disclaimer) if you know a friendly attorney I'd run that idea by them to be safe.  

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

He's not wiggled out of anything. 

Most of the family channels have already lost the comment section. Tom has so far wiggled out of that because Andrea made the comment section moderated only. I hope he loses the comment section all together. He will probably go to FB, but at least there he can't run ads when exploiting his kids. 

• Upvote 7

I only watched around two minutes of that guy’s most recent video.   I stopped watching, and done watching any of his videos.  I can read here.  

When they went to Walmart  it was very windy and cold.    Hannah had a coat on, with a hood.   There was a blanket.    The hood was NOT on her head   No gloves, and BAREFOOT.    It does not take a genius to know you do not take a baby out dressed like that.    It’s common sense to dress them appropriately.  They cannot do it for themselves.    Asher even had gloves on.   It’s usually freezing in Walmart as well.  God is watching over that precious defenseless little one.

As they were walking into Walmart the comment was made about how cold it was.   Tom looked at the camera and  said -  “Hannah does have a coat on, so there’s that.”    He caught Hell last time he took Hannah out like that   It’s as if he is taunting the people who called him out last time.   I hope his channel goes down with the new laws in January.   He has exploited the children since Andrea passed away, even at Andrea’s service.   He can go play and open gifts on Facebook.

The Go Fund Me that Tom set up on August 16 is still open.   That is despicable.   

Edited by Olivia Marie
  • Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, Olivia Marie said:

I only watched around two minutes of that guy’s most recent video.   I stopped watching, and done watching any of his videos.  I can read here.  

When they went to Walmart  it was very windy and cold.    Hannah had a coat on, with a hood.   There was a blanket.    The hood was NOT on her head   No gloves, and BAREFOOT.    It does not take a genius to know you do not take a baby out dressed like that.    It’s common sense to dress them appropriately.  They cannot do it for themselves.    Asher even had gloves on.   It’s usually freezing in Walmart as well.  God is watching over that precious defenseless little one.

As they were walking into Walmart the comment was made about how cold it was.   Tom looked at the camera and  said -  “Hannah does have a coat on, so there’s that.”    He caught Hell last time he took Hannah out like that   It’s as if he is taunting the people who called him out last time.   I hope his channel goes down with the new laws in January.   He has exploited the children since Andrea passed away, even at Andrea’s service.   He can go play and open gifts on Facebook.

The Go Fund Me that Tom set up on August 16 is still open.   That is despicable.   

OMG, OMG, I SAW THAT TOO!  I swear I think I've seen her barefoot before with Andrea and Tom when she was little (and cold outside) but they had her wrapped up in a blanket and later in the long night of shopping the blanket fell off her feet and I was so freaked out......so I think that was even something they did with her early. Andrea was so weird (sorry) about wanting to be able to weather the cold and wearing flip flips in the dead of winter....I can't remember her thinking on that.....Other than it was healthier to be cold than hot?  Who freaking knows.  He had that baby out WITH A COAT ON - HE WAS SO PROUD OF THAT - and BAREFOOT...........I looked it up, it was 21 degrees last night there.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU TOM???????  DO YOU NOT SEE THE COMMON SENSE IN THIS????????????????? PLEASE GOD LET HIM READ THIS.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, justlooking said:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU TOM???????  DO YOU NOT SEE THE COMMON SENSE IN THIS????????????????? PLEASE GOD LET HIM READ THIS.  

He might just be basing this off what Andrea did.  He probably thinks that if Andrea let her kids be without shoes in cold weather than it must be okay.

Has anyone watched enough of his videos to see if he has addressed the new Youtube rules? I can see him thinking he can just get out of them by marking his Youtube as not for children. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

He might just be basing this off what Andrea did. If Andrea let her kids be without shoes in cold weather then it must be okay. 

Has anyone watched enough of his videos to see if he has addressed the new Youtube rules? I can see him thinking he can just get out of them by marking his Youtube as not for children. 

I don’t know if he has addressed the new rules.   I agree, I feel like he thinks he will be okay.

• Upvote 1

It was fun to watch Judah clown around in Walmart. Even Asher was smiling and getting involved in the goofiness. It was good to see them smiling and having fun. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, Saywha? said:

Sadly I think sometimes very over weight people can’t get on shoes and so flip flops are easier. 

Neither Tom nor Andrea have ever been THAT overweight to not be able to put on shoes.
Some people don't like the experience of restriction that shoes make them feel.  Same goes for hats, scarfs and coats. Andrea was asked quite often why she wore flip flops in winter and she always replied that she never felt the cold enough to need shoes.  
I personally believe that because she didn't feel the cold, it was an automatic thing to assume the kids didn't need to wear shoes for the short moments such as getting in and out of the car. She usually made sure the babies were well covered though.
On the other hand, Tom wouldn't think about it at all. Monkey see, monkey do.  This is where not being a parent for most of the kids' lives is evident.
Not saying she was a great mother because we've all seen some very questionable things from her.  Tom isn't a good father and some people here are way harsher than I am about him but if he's gauging good parenting by Andrea's standards he's going to continue to fail.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic