IGNORED

Mills Family 4: Playing Magic for Jesus

nelliebelle1197

2 hours ago, Koala said:

Welp, he's a kid, raised in an environment where higher education is strongly discouraged.  He just lost his mom 3 months ago, and he's living in a cracker box with his grieving siblings and pitiful excuse for a father.  To top it all off, his grief has been exploited so that said father can get attention from "The Youtube People" (who Tom seems to think are just like family).  

Perhaps interacting with complete strangers isn't his thing.  Perhaps he thinks it's none of their damn business.  Perhaps he is depressed because of his recent loss/current living situation.  Perhaps he shouldn't (at 17) be criticized for coming across as "dull" when he has a camera shoved in his face 24/7.  He doesn't owe those people a damn thing, and calling him "dull" and "incurious" is a shitty thing to do.  

Absolutely agree. He's a reluctant participant in the whole youtube thing, 
He's been asked in multiple lives (pre- and post-Andrea) if he has a girlfriend, what does he want to do in life, does he want to go to college etc etc.  It's no-one's business what his dreams and aspirations are. It's no-one's business what his love life is like.  Until Thomas picks up a camera and vlogs himself, his business is no-one else's.
Tom's youtube people should count themselves very lucky that Thomas and the other older kids, are polite.  I know a lot of teenagers who wouldn't keep it so nice.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Tom is boring to watch, but waiting to see what inappropriate thing creepy Rachel Day says or does in the comments keeps me watching. :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, under siege said:

Absolutely agree. He's a reluctant participant in the whole youtube thing, 
He's been asked in multiple lives (pre- and post-Andrea) if he has a girlfriend, what does he want to do in life, does he want to go to college etc etc.  It's no-one's business what his dreams and aspirations are. It's no-one's business what his love life is like.  Until Thomas picks up a camera and vlogs himself, his business is no-one else's.
Tom's youtube people should count themselves very lucky that Thomas and the other older kids, are polite.  I know a lot of teenagers who wouldn't keep it so nice.

I blame all of this on Tom.  He has/is allowing this to happen to Thomas.  If he wasn’t on YouTube, this would not be happening to Thomas.   No “Normal” parent would put their child in that position.   Just another reason that Tom should not be on YouTube.  The family is already in crisis due to Andrea’s passing, and Tom adds to the chaos and despair every single time he goes Live, and/or spends time making and uploading videos.  For goodness sakes man, your children are suffering on every single level.  Tom is an unfit parent.  

It doesn’t help that Tom’s harem are a gang of rabid drooling and desperate morons.

Edited by Olivia Marie
  • Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Olivia Marie said:

I blame all of this on Tom.  He has/is allowing this to happen to Thomas.  If he wasn’t on YouTube, this would not be happening to Thomas.   No “Normal” parent would put their child in that position.   Just another reason that Tom should not be on YouTube.  The family is already in crisis due to Andrea’s passing, and Tom adds to the chaos and despair every single time he goes Live, and/or spends time making and uploading videos.  For goodness sakes man, your children are suffering on every single level.  Tom is an unfit parent.  

It doesn’t help that Tom’s harem are a gang of rabid drooling and desperate morons.

I understand your intense dislike for Tom. However, when it comes to the kids being exposed, and expected to participate in, vlogs remember who started the channel. It was Andrea who shared SO much about her kids and it was Andrea who shared a lot of moments that the kids - especially Thomas and Asher - did not want to be filmed.  She even filmed Thomas at work a few times.

Tom could definitely put a stop to the oversharing, yes but it wasn't Tom who started it. Andrea was the one more likely to laugh at the kids' awkwardness and both she and Tom had no issue in teasing Thomas when asked such personal questions.

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, under siege said:

Andrea was the one more likely to laugh at the kids' awkwardness and both she and Tom had no issue in teasing Thomas when asked such personal questions.

Exactly. I think Tom gets more criticism for this because Andrea was more likable, but this didn't start with Tom, it has always been a part of their channel. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

On 11/20/2019 at 11:30 AM, under siege said:

That's an interesting view that Rachel has on divorce.  I guess it's okay for a divorced guy to remarry or perhaps 'in special circumstances such as dear Tom.

I wanted to check to see if I could find out quickly if Tom was actually married before Andrea or just 'married'  in the common law kind of relationship. I couldn't find that and I didn't want to dig further but I did find this.

f9879c_e8c85c38b6b741ca9fe637585b9180d5~mv2_d_3229_2479_s_4_2.jpg

RACHAEL DAY PROBABLY DID THIS............LOL!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, justlooking said:

No, it's something Andrea did quite a while ago.
But is it something Rachel would do. Just wait until she reads here, she's come up with something similar to surprise Tom with, lol!!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, under siege said:

No, it's something Andrea did quite a while ago.
But is it something Rachel would do. Just wait until she reads here, she's come up with something similar to surprise Tom with, lol!!

Oh I was Joking!  Just looks like something obsessive RD would do!  hahaaha  OH For sure!  She'll make something totally inappropriate when she sees it!  Lol!  Cracking me up.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, justlooking said:

If not, she's got it printed, framed, and hanging in her living room.  

• Haha 12
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, justlooking said:

Oh I was Joking!  Just looks like something obsessive RD would do!  hahaaha  OH For sure!  She'll make something totally inappropriate when she sees it!  Lol!  Cracking me up.

Lol for sure! She'll add her name somewhere in the mix!

8 minutes ago, Koala said:

And she studies it every single day!! Cuz, you know, she knows EVERYTHING about them!! Everything!! 

Lol edited to add: If someone asked on one of the lives how many times a day someone in the family takes a shit, Rachel Day would probably shout out the answer within 30 seconds. She's just that creepy!

Edited by mollysmom
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Koala said:

Christmas gift sorted for her 10% husband perhaps? ??

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Olivia Marie said:

I wonder how the new Youtube rules will impact Tom’s channel beginning in January.  

Can you give us a small rundown of the changes? I'm not up to speed on what the changes are.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Can you give us a small rundown of the changes? I'm not up to speed on what the changes are.

I don’t have a Youtube channel, so I haven’t studied the new rules.  I watch many channels and just about all of them are fearful of what will happen in January.   Even the channels featuring pets are anxious.   I will find some of the links some of them posted today, and post them here.   People with small channels are anxious as well, because they aren’t big money makers for Youtube   They are great channels, but not huge sub counts and views.     

I do know that each video has to be marked for children, or adults, before they are posted.  If Youtube doesn’t agree with how the video is marked, the channel can be fined $43,000, and the channel shut down.   Three channels I have watched for a long time shut down this week, fearing the huge fine.  Those three channels are very family friendly, one is a military family.  I’m going to miss them.  Those three people are going to do everything on Facebook now.    I will look for the news rules.  

The link below was posted today by a Husky dog channel I follow.    The link takes you to a petition people can sign.  I’m not posting for people to sign.  I posted this because a little way down the page there is a video that explains some of the new rules.   It’s called COPPA.   

https://www.change.org/p/youtubers-and-viewers-unite-against-ftc-regulation

***  I just watched the above video and she doesn’t go into great detail.  If I can find something more definitive I will post it.   I watch a lot of channels with a large variety of content, and everyone is talking about it.  Big changes coming.  

Edited by Olivia Marie
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

8 minutes ago, Olivia Marie said:

I don’t have a Youtube channel, so I haven’t studied the new rules.  I watch many channels and just about all of them are fearful of what will happen in January.   Even the channels featuring pets are anxious.   I will find some of the links some of them posted today, and post them here.   People with small channels are anxious as well, because they aren’t big money makers for Youtube   They are great channels, but not huge sub counts and views.     

I do know that each video has to be marked for children, or adults, before they are posted.  If Youtube doesn’t agree with how the video is marked, the channel can be fined $43,000, and the channel shut down.   Three channels I have watched for a long time shut down this week, fearing the huge fine.  Those three channels are very family friendly, one is a military family.  I’m going to miss them.  Those three people are going to do everything on Facebook now.    I will look for the news rules.  

I had no idea this was happening. I can totally see how smaller content producers would be afraid of a fine that large. It'll be interesting to see if Tom makes any changes due to these rules. Thanks for briefing us on them!

• Upvote 4

I read about the new rules. These rules stem from a settlement from the FTC. In short, it is against the law to gather personal data of children under the age of 13 without parents consenting. Personal data includes persistent data(like web cookies) used by companies to target ads. The FTC is going to start enforcing this law in January. To ensure that the law isn't violated Youtube creators have to mark their videos as being directed to children or not. As part of the settlement all videos have to be marked, not just new ones. If they are marked as directed to children they cannot run personalized ads. From what I understand the FTC is expanding the law to include videos that are attractive to children. 

So if a Youtuber decided to just mark their videos directed to adults, but they really attract children they will be fined by the FTC. It isn't all ads, though. It is personalized ads. So from what I understand they could run ads, just not the personalized ones. 

It seems like this is the start of laws catching up with technology. Hopefully in the future exploiting your kids on the internet for money and fame won't be allowed. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I read about the new rules. These rules stem from a settlement from the FTC. In short, it is against the law to gather personal data of children under the age of 13 without parents consenting. Personal data includes persistent data(like web cookies) used by companies to target ads. The FTC is going to start enforcing this law in January. To ensure that the law isn't violated Youtube creators have to mark their videos as being directed to children or not. As part of the settlement all videos have to be marked, not just new ones. If they are marked as directed to children they cannot run personalized ads. From what I understand the FTC is expanding the law to include videos that are attractive to children. 

So if a Youtuber decided to just mark their videos directed to adults, but they really attract children they will be fined by the FTC. It isn't all ads, though. It is personalized ads. So from what I understand they could run ads, just not the personalized ones. 

It seems like this is the start of laws catching up with technology. Hopefully in the future exploiting your kids on the internet for money and fame won't be allowed. 

Thank you.   I appreciate your help.  I didn’t know all of he particulars, just that many people are concerned.   I just found this link.   I’m going to take time to read it now.  Thanks again ?

https://vidiq.com/blog/post/ftc-youtube-kids-content/

• Upvote 1

It involves the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. Youtube never even attempted to comply with it. They bragged to investors that children loved Youtube, but then tried to get out of obeying COPPA by saying Youtube wasn't directed towards children. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/youtube-to-pay-170-million-in-ftc-child-privacy-settlement.html

The COPPA rule requires child-directed sites to disclose data practices and get parental consent for collecting information on children under age 13. The complaint alleged that YouTube collected personal information from “viewers of child-directed channels” without parental consent using cookies, which track user behavior across the internet.

Google and YouTube knowingly and illegally monitored, tracked, and served targeted ads to young children just to keep advertising dollars rolling in,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement following the announcement. “These companies put children at risk and abused their power, which is why we are imposing major reforms to their practices and making them pay one of the largest settlements for a privacy matter in U.S. history.

YouTube marketed itself to Mattel and Hasbro as the “leader” in reaching children ages 6-11, the ruling found. Yet, in one instance, the company told an advertising company that it did not have users younger than 13 on its platform and therefore channels on its platform did not need to comply with COPPA.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

regarding COPPA / FTA - this article was helpful for me to understand what's going on.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9528076?hl=en

There's panic in different youtube communities as so many are unsure how it will affect their channels. Basically, if kids are likely to watch your videos, you need to deem those videos are kid focussed even if you want/think your audience to be adults. Gaming and crafting channels will be affected along with family vlog channels.  If you rely on Youtube for $$ than you may need to rethink your channel's focus.

As someone mentioned before, there have been guidelines for quite some time but Youtube hadn't enforced them (because they were collecting all kinds of data) It was only when they got into trouble that it's become a thing. 

When it comes to Tom, he may need to rethink the monetizing thing and go back to how Andrea had it. If he truly wanted to honour her memory he would never have monetized in the first place (not saying it's bad that he did but he went against all her reasons for doing so)

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

On 11/20/2019 at 12:39 PM, can'tstopwatching said:

Thank you. This is all so true -- it's not nonsense, those kids need help. No it is not a case of abuse and neglect where I think the kids could/should be forcibly removed. But it's nothing to make light of and they need help from those around them.

They may need help from people around them but not government agencies.  The mother JUST died. Anyone needs help at that point and it certainly does not seem that are being mistreated in any real way. Because they don't the type of food, education or other things that people around here seem to think they should have that does not signal abuse or neglect. Words like that have meaning and should be thrown around.

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

They may need help from people around them but not government agencies.  The mother JUST died. Anyone needs help at that point and it certainly does not seem that are being mistreated in any real way. Because they don't the type of food, education or other things that people around here seem to think they should have that does not signal abuse or neglect. Words like that have meaning and should be thrown around.

I don't think CPS suggestions should be thrown around, but there is no undue criticism being thrown around here. It's not at all about disagreements with style of education or diet choices. It's about Tom not changing the baby's diaper or putting her in clean pajamas before bed, no one in the family knowing if she ate lunch or dinner, never taking the kids to the dentist or doctor, etc. I don't expect Tom to be super-dad months after his wife died, but these needs must be met, and if he needs help he should seek it out or loved ones should offer it and he should accept.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 8

I hope Tom’s absence on Youtube means he is starting to tend to the children’s needs.   I’m not on Facebook, but I hope he isn’t spending all of his time Live there.   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Olivia Marie said:

I hope Tom’s absence on Youtube means he is starting to tend to the children’s needs.   I’m not on Facebook, but I hope he isn’t spending all of his time Live there.   

Last public post on his page was 11/22 and it was a picture Sophia had drawn of her parent's wedding day. Was very sweet.   If he's doing lives on facebook he's no longer sharing them after the fact. 
Like you, I hope the lessened Youtube activity means he's finally being the parent his kids need.
Or perhaps there's a new special someone he has started to focus his attention on.

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic