IGNORED

Jed Is Running for State House and Now He's Engaged

HandHoldingHeathen

Katey's father had a post about biblical betrothal, and it's password protected. What is a biblical betrothal? Anyone have any idea what he means by that?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

We bought new Smart TVs and find that in addition to Netflix, we watch a lot of the free streaming services, like Pluto. They have a channel that plays all the old Price is Rights! A couple of weekends ago when I was in bed sick with fever from my second covid shot, I spent the day with Bob Barker. It was like being a kid again! They also have interesting movie channels. 

Pluto is amazing with their old-school TV channels.  The next channel over in Pluto from The Price Is Right channel is Buzzr which runs more old game shows from the 70s and 80s, particularly Match Game. They also run Password Plus, Super Password, TattleTales, Body Language, Card Sharks, $ale of the Century,  Concentration/Classic Concentration and the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour.  On Saturday mornings they show The Price Is Right from the late 50s/early 60s with Bill Cullen as the host, and the prizes are off the chain.  A house in Florida, a submarine, an airplane and a private island are some of the prizes you could win back then. 

I also discovered Crackle TV which runs one of my ultimate old school TV shows from the late '70s/early '80s-Fantasy Island.   Takes me right back to 9th grade on Saturday night when I had nothing to do but spend the evening with Mr. Rourke and Tattoo. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Giraffe said:

This doesn’t surprise me at all. The siblings were forced to be together constantly prior to marriage. If I were them I’d want my own church, too. 

they still do everything together though. Do any of them have unique friendships outside of the borg?

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Marionette said:

It’s completely possible that they have made amends since then (it’s been almost a year), or that they just put on a face in front of everyone else. I’m pretty sure JB no longer attends Lighthouse. Also, I don’t think Paul was ever on the outs with the entire Duggar family, just with JB. Who knows... 

Must be exhausting to be Jim Bob. Always on the outs with someone 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I was a kid, it was basically mandatory to watch The Price is Right when you stayed home sick from school. Otherwise, what was the point?

Back when I was a kid it was mandatory to watch Family Feud. Best case you were at our grandma's house when sick. She would watch it with you and make gorgeous snacks. I miss her.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

25 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Wow, I missed a lot in a couple days while the time. Engagements and three courtships? 

Only one engagement that we know for sure. I don't think the other engagement is the James Duggar we know. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Katey's father had a post about biblical betrothal, and it's password protected. What is a biblical betrothal? Anyone have any idea what he means by that?

No idea what Katey’s father says about it in the locked post, but generally people who talk about biblical betrothal are talking about the parents choosing the child’s partner, and that marriage should be based on the will of God (ahem - father) rather than such frivolous things as love or attraction. Have a Google around Jonathan Lindvall, and Maranatha Chapman. It’s creepy and gross. 

• Upvote 18
  • Disgust 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, bal maiden said:

No idea what Katey’s father says about it in the locked post, but generally people who talk about biblical betrothal are talking about the parents choosing the child’s partner, and that marriage should be based on the will of God (ahem - father) rather than such frivolous things as love or attraction. Have a Google around Jonathan Lindvall, and Maranatha Chapman. It’s creepy and gross. 

I think it sometimes means they believe the betrothal is legally binding, so they’ll get legally married  at the time of engagement. I believe that’s what happened with the Chapman’s. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

16 hours ago, Marionette said:

No problem! It was very traumatizing to leave, and I was told I was apostate and a God-hater, even though at the time I only switched to SBC (which I knew was problematic, but... baby steps...). Covid isolation has helped me in weird ways with reevaluating everything, so I’m not sure what my church involvement will look like when things open back up. I still identify as Christian, but I’ve become pretty liberal socially/politically, so maybe I can one day be a part of a more liberal church. I don’t know which takes more “guts”—switching denominations or leaving church all together. Church people are brutal when you don’t do what they expect of you, and I haven’t been out long enough to know many people outside of that “bubble.” Thankful for supportive friends & FJ!

ETA: Got carried away... The last name Kimble sounds familiar, but I can’t put my finger on it. I haven’t heard anything about James being in a relationship, let alone engaged, so it may be some other James Duggar. 

When I first committed to getting “out” I started hanging with Episcopalians. It was familiar enough (as in still Protestant Christians) but different enough to give me some things to really think about. 

I joke about wanting to settle with some liberal Methodists??

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, MamaMia02 said:

Must be exhausting to be Jim Bob. Always on the outs with someone 

It must be hard to be the ultimate control freak plus #1 grifter and irresponsible procreator. 

• Upvote 8

44 minutes ago, purple_summer said:

When I first committed to getting “out” I started hanging with Episcopalians. It was familiar enough (as in still Protestant Christians) but different enough to give me some things to really think about. 

I joke about wanting to settle with some liberal Methodists??

I’m not a Christian anymore but if I was, I would definitely choose a liberal/progressive Methodist church to attend. There are some around here. They are very inclusive of the lgbtq+ community. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

22 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

irresponsible procreator. 

Paraphrasing Susan from Friends....'ejaclulating.  We all know what a challenge that is."

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10

When I first saw a post about the James registry, the name was Sarra Gimble not Kimble (this was someone's post, probably on reddit although might have been here or Pickles).  So not sure which of the two was a typo.  In case that opens up more possibilities for people who are searching.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

I think it sometimes means they believe the betrothal is legally binding, so they’ll get legally married  at the time of engagement. I believe that’s what happened with the Chapman’s. 

That's how the S:mortons took it - they had several different videos and blogs on it. Here's one I found real quick.  http://mortonclan.blogspot.com/2007/05/questions-and-answers.html?m=1

Relevant section under the spoiler thing if I did it right. 

Spoiler

"What is the distinction (in your practice) between betrothal and marriage?" someone asked.

Answer: There is one main distinction and it has numerous ramifications. The way our family has done it , the headship of the young lady - the authority structure in her life (I Cor. 11:3) - is formally and practically transferred to the young gentleman upon their betrothal , except in one crucial area - the physical. She still lives with her parents, and there is no intimate touching - and some Dads set up the rules so that there is not even holding hands! The young lady begins to be sensitive to her husband-to-be in preferences of dress, conduct, priorities, etc., as she has been to her father. The young man begins to serve communion to his betrothed, reads her the scriptures and prays with her.

There are many phone calls!! There is much conversation and sharing of hearts and thoughts. The wedding plans are talked about at great length and many fun moments shared. This is a sweet time of much conversation , because that is the only way they can relate to each other!!! (We require a chaperone at all times, and that gets funny sometimes as brothers and sisters get pressed into chaperonage duty. )

But the father, and here is the "distinction" between betrothal and marriage, retains authority over the young lady from a physical standpoint. To us , this in an interim time and so it is best kept to 21\2 - 4 months, in our opinion - better shorter than longer.

Edited by lexiloumarie
  • Upvote 3
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 13
  • Thank You 5

@Marionette Thank you for sharing your experience. I began my deconstruction process about 3.5 yrs ago. It’s rough and terrifying. 

I’m no longer a Christian (but pretend for the sake of my family). 

The transition was hard and I was only a standard Caribbean Baptist. I had basically no restrictions on media, was encouraged to get an education and was not under heavy surveillance. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to walk away from fundiedom. 

I hope you find the discernment and care to make the choices that are best for you. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 13

9 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

I’m no longer a Christian (but pretend for the sake of my family).

Me too. It’s getting harder and harder for me to pretend though. I refuse to take my kids to church so I think it’s becoming pretty obvious. My mom will never ask me outright because I know she’s afraid of the answer. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 7

The Methodist church is really struggling over the issue of gay marriage and is headed for a split.  My parents attend a Methodist church (and I was raised Methodist) and their church is very, very liberal.  I enjoy the pastor and going when I’m home, even if I no longer believe. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, lexiloumarie said:

That's how the S:mortons took it - they had several different videos and blogs on it. Here's one I found real quick.  http://mortonclan.blogspot.com/2007/05/questions-and-answers.html?m=1

Relevant section under the spoiler thing if I did it right. 

Hide contents

"What is the distinction (in your practice) between betrothal and marriage?" someone asked.

Answer: There is one main distinction and it has numerous ramifications. The way our family has done it , the headship of the young lady - the authority structure in her life (I Cor. 11:3) - is formally and practically transferred to the young gentleman upon their betrothal , except in one crucial area - the physical. She still lives with her parents, and there is no intimate touching - and some Dads set up the rules so that there is not even holding hands! The young lady begins to be sensitive to her husband-to-be in preferences of dress, conduct, priorities, etc., as she has been to her father. The young man begins to serve communion to his betrothed, reads her the scriptures and prays with her.

There are many phone calls!! There is much conversation and sharing of hearts and thoughts. The wedding plans are talked about at great length and many fun moments shared. This is a sweet time of much conversation , because that is the only way they can relate to each other!!! (We require a chaperone at all times, and that gets funny sometimes as brothers and sisters get pressed into chaperonage duty. )

But the father, and here is the "distinction" between betrothal and marriage, retains authority over the young lady from a physical standpoint. To us , this in an interim time and so it is best kept to 21\2 - 4 months, in our opinion - better shorter than longer.

So for all intents and purposes, the transfer has occured, but you hold back the final "physical" transfer until the deal is sealed at the marriage, and they recommend keeping the engagement period as short as is practically possible as is needed to account for necessary arrangements. Cool cool very cool

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 3
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 1

Thanks to all who posted about biblical bethrothal. It gives me more misgivings about the marriage. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2

The local Methodist church near me is very liberal as they've had their sign in front saying pro- LGBTQ+ inclusion, and frequently displays rainbow flags.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic