IGNORED

Nattie Darnell wants a 1950s housewife!

Marian the Librarian

Historically inaccurate.  One third of fifties women in the US worked outside of the home.  Fifties women did not glob on makeup like this, as a rule.  They definitely didn't make rosewater macarons.  And where the hell are all the strong cocktails of that era?  

This is a fantasy.  It's a woman who wants to portray her life as a housewife as MORE SPECIALERRRR than all the other housewives.  Good on you if being an organized and diligent housewife is your deal.  Clean and bake opera cakes to your heart's content.  But this poorly-researched cosplay thing to me smacks of either insecurity or immaturity.  

Anyway, Nathaniel Darnell is also immature if he thinks that this Leave it to Beaver schtick is how wives really relate to their husbands.  Television is fantasy, Nattie.  No wonder he hasn't found a real live woman who wants him.  

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 3

Just now, acheronbeach said:

Historically inaccurate.  One third of fifties women in the US worked outside of the home.  Fifties women did not glob on makeup like this, as a rule. 

I remember interviewing an older woman once and she discussed her job in publishing in the 50s (she was probably born around late 20s/early 30s) and balancing it with raising kids. She didn't sound like a revolutionary; she just sounded bewildered at how much popular culture had revised the reality of the decade. I do remember her saying "I worked, as did every other woman I know." 

Yes, WWII created an economic boom that allowed for more families to live a good life on one income but 

1. That economic boom is a historical exception, not the rule. 

2. That economic boom did not affect all people (minorities, people living in certain regions, working class people, and women who just had career ambitions), nor many people outside of the United States. 

3. What is depicted on television is not a documentary. Hollywood has always sold a more sanitized version of life to give us a break from reality. 

Also love how he describes the 50s look as "timeless." Those flared, knee length skirts would have been considered scandalous in 1915, frumpy and unflattering in 1925, and decadent in 1940. Also the red lipstick would have immediately marked one as a "bad girl" anytime earlier than about 1930. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I once saw a documentary on I Love Lucy and someone on it remarked that Lucy Ricardo is an example of why women needed feminism, since she’s this creative, energetic woman who clearly doesn’t fit into the 50s housewife mold. Based on what we see on the show, the Ricardos live a modern for the time lifestyle in NYC and later Connecticut and only have one child. It’s not like there would have been tons of housework for her to do. Any sane woman would get bored. 

Oh , you don't know the half of it . Yeah , Desi Arnaz Sr. was certainly spoiled .  https://www.nickiswift.com/155396/the-strange-marriage-of-desi-arnaz-and-lucille-ball/

• Thank You 3

Can we talk about Katrina please? I just want to send her non- harsh lipsticks. I mean that in a public service way.

This person went to my high school and reminds me of Katrina:

thisvictorianlife.com

Edited by erunerune
  • Upvote 4

Natty looks so soft and pays way too much attention to his  hair.  I suspect he's squatting at the edge of the woods in someone's back yard; he doesn't look like he really enjoys the outdoors. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Is he taking a dump in the woods? He looks so serious about his BMs.

BE9AD5AD-AF42-40EE-AB1F-6E0E06FA23A9.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

Just now, Howl said:

Natty looks so soft and pays way too much attention to his  hair.  I suspect he's squatting at the edge of the woods in someone's back yard; he doesn't look like he really enjoys the outdoors. 

I'm a chick, but I'm 5'11" and I'm like 93% sure I can take this dude in a bar fight.

Even without fighting dirty.

• Haha 18
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Historically inaccurate.  One third of fifties women in the US worked outside of the home Fifties women did not glob on makeup like this, as a rule.  They definitely didn't make rosewater macarons.  And where the hell are all the strong cocktails of that era?  

Right?? I come from a fairly ordinary middle-class white family and both my grandmothers worked. (And drank. And chain-smoked.)

One of them is still alive today and will cuss a storm about the Republican party, btw.

Do these people think Leave It to Beaver was a documentary?

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

Ok I admit it. Both of my grandmothers were white middle class stay at home moms. But here’s the problem. One was Betty Draper in a fantastic marriage and one was Betty Crocker in a bad marriage. The Betty Draper grandma was not suited to stay at home with a bunch of kids. She was gorgeous, super social, super stylish, funny, and hated cleaning and changing diapers. She would have been better off being born 40 years later. But she was expected to be a homemaker and have kids. So she did. She loved her kids, but she was not the SAHM type. My Betty Crocker grandma was a born homemaker. She made perfect matching outfits, kept her house immaculate, and cooked every meal. But her marriage was bad. Constant fighting. And back then it was not only taboo to get divorced, but also hard. They finally divorced when the divorce laws changed and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. 

So yeah, even the ones that looked like the Cleaver family in real life, had major issues due to the culture surrounding them at the time. 

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

The 1950’s housewife as depicted by TV and advertising of the time did not depict the average woman.  I was raised by these Goddesses and they were fierce.   Seriously fierce!  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, refugee said:

Sounds like he want to be "father knows best."

But does "she" want to be Lucy? That show was funny, but such a disaster IRL. Oddly enough, I Love Lucy is the first show that comes to mind when I think "1950s housewife", not Leave It to Beaver or Father Knows Best or The Donna Reed Show.

Would Andy Griffiths count, or My Three Sons? I forget whether they were 1950s or 1960s. Of course, no housewives in those, unless you count Aunt Bee.

Another thought: Lassie! (I loved the Lassie show so much as a small child, I wished I could transport through the glass front of the television screen and somehow end up living in Lassie and Timmy's world.) 

But My Three Sons had Uncle Charlie!!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, treehugger said:

He's kidding about the 1950's pre-dating the sensuous era of the 1960's right? Has the guy never heard of 1950's pin up?  Good lord. 

Or flapper dresses of the 1920s? Scandalous exposed knees!

Who is this dude anyway?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Who is this dude anyway?

Just wondering myself.  Who is this weirdo?

Nattie was one of Doug Phillips' (AKA DPIAT) more obnoxious Vision Forum interns. He used to write a blog called "Persevero!" and was known for his celebrated "in praise of normativity" post about the Peter Bradrick-Kelly Brown wedding.

He's 37, never married, and I believe still lives under his parents' roof. There's lots about him on FJ if you search his name.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Just wondering myself.  Who is this weirdo?

@DomWackTroll would be better at summarizing Nathaniel Darnell.  

Anyhow, he was on of the first crop of Vision Forum interns and was a "director" for a couple of their crappy straight to catalogue movies.  He loves the Republican Party - as long as no women are running (he wrote an article once about how Sarah Palin was a woman and therefore not fit for office).  He ran for treasurer of the Georgia GOP but I believe he lost and he was some aide to a GOP politician.  He likes to show off his JD but it's from Oak Brook School of Law so not exactly a hallmark of intellectual prowess.  

He's best known for a website he used to run called Persevero!  (Yes, complete with exclamation mark).  The writing was turgid, self-important, and full of racism, justification for sex assault, women birthin' babies and stayin' home, and homophobia.  He is not a particularly skilled advocate, at least not in the written word.  

Despite such credentials, I don't believe Darnell has managed to find his own godly maiden.  It's inexplicable for such a vision of manliness... /s

nattydarnell.jpg

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 1

Plus Nattie’s brother just got remarried. He and his first wife had two kids before they divorced. So his brother has 2 marriages under his belt and Nattie has none.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

He loves the Republican Party - as long as no women are running (he wrote an article once about how Sarah Palin was a woman and therefore not fit for office).

@acheronbeach, your summarization was great! But I do seem to recall Nattie congratulating at least one female Republican candidate for her win on his Facebook page since his infamous Sarah Palin article. Does anyone else remember that? 

Gee, maybe Nathaniel and those globe-trotting, jean-wearing, money-making "stay-at-home moms" Stacy McDonald and Jennie Chancey could get together over tea and discuss how they've "evolved"! ?

Edited by DomWackTroll
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 5

EW. Ewewewewwwww!  Incel, than. Ick.  I wish a pox on him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, erunerune said:

Can we talk about Katrina please? I just want to send her non- harsh lipsticks. I mean that in a public service way.

This person went to my high school and reminds me of Katrina:

thisvictorianlife.com

Good grief! I found the Typical Day in Winter and just thought... wow. No way in Hell would I last even a week in that house! She mentions the house being around 48 degrees (granted, this is winter)... Fahrenheit. In Celsius, that’s about 9c. Central heating is a brilliant invention! My house has single glazed windows and it can get COLD in winter... and we have central heating. God knows what it’d be like without it! I’d have to spend the entire day wrapped in a blanket. 

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but that whole lifestyle doesn’t sound appealing at all. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Soulhuntress said:

Mad Men is too feminist for him??

I couldn't keep watching that show.  It would make me livid!  Absolutely pissed off.  I only saw most of 1st season.  I just couldn't.  

In other horrible incel behavior news, I recently founf Chantel Miller's short animated story and from there, her interview with 60 Minutes on YouTube.  I didn't know she had done an interview or made anything besides bravely revealing herself.  Well, my bad, I read the comments.  It started so well, just beautiful.  Than, the incel trolls. The MGTOW or whatever people.  It seemed mostly that sort. I didn't see general trolling, it was too specific and similar comments.  All these so called men need a massive ass kicking in between being forced to watch documentaries on women's suffering until they understand or escape.  They are unsafe to women in a decent society.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Sonic the Whoredgehog said:

He looks like Jim Bob Duggar and Jake Gyllenhaal had a baby and then got him addicted to Xanax, which can cause cosntipation, hence the pose. 

Damn I nearly choked on my tea. Perfect description!! Although I always had a feeling that if he lost their haircut, the clothes, the racism, the misogyny, and whatever I might be missing at this point, he could look decent?!

I see myself out to the prayer closet. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

If he really wants a 1950s housewife he's going to need a Delorian, some nuclear power, a stereotypical mad scientist/inventor, the time travel gizmo... and a puffy vest.

Also has he never heard of the 1940s pin ups? You know, the ones the soldiers had?

What does he do for gainful employment?

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

Nathaniel was (probably still is) a theonomist and used to run a FB group devoted to discussing how great it will be when the entire US comes under the subjugation of people like him. When they weren't qvelling about taking over the world, group members argued with each other over who was right (or wrong) about their theology.

Katie Botkin unpacked some of the revolting beliefs behind theonomy in this essay on Roy Moore, which mentions Darnell:

Currently, across his social media pages, Darnell staunchly defends Moore using Old Testament law, which he believes should be the legal standard in courtrooms as well as everywhere else. Regarding Moore’s accusers, Darnell specified that in order to be morally and legally viable, “God’s Law requires ‘two or three witnesses’ to any (molestation) accusation.” He elaborated that this did not apply to women saying the same kind of thing happened to all of them; instead, the Old Testament requires “an eye-witness to the same identical occasion with the same identical people at the same identical time.”

Darnell is a disgusting piece of work and it's probably just as well that he hasn't managed to reproduce, either with a 1950s housewife or anyone else.

• Upvote 16
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2