IGNORED

Nattie Darnell wants a 1950s housewife!

Marian the Librarian

2 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Doug owned an invisible pony.

ETA - one thing that always puzzled me about the wide stance is that it made Doug shorter. You'd think his vanity would make him want to avoid that.

It's actually what is known as the horse stance

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Howl said:

The groom is Tyler Tsantles -- may 17 years old in this photo? -- about to be married to...Blair -- maybe three or four years older.  They have five stairstep kids, but no recent updates on fb in the last two or three years. 

That’s how It was with the Bradricks before they divorced :my_confused:

• Upvote 4

How do the women do it?!  These men suck so bad it's hilarious!  I couldn't keep myself from laughing.  They are SO unmanly!  In the traditional sense they are trying to go for.  Total fail. Epic hilarious fail!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Howl said:

The groom is Tyler Tsantles -- may 17 years old in this photo? -- about to be married to...Blair -- maybe three or four years older.  They have five adorable stairstep kids, but no recent public updates on fb in the last two or three years. 

I always wondered how Taylor ended up financially supporting his much older bride.   Blair was 23 to Taylor's 17.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, thoughtful said:

ETA - one thing that always puzzled me about the wide stance is that it made Doug shorter. You'd think his vanity would make him want to avoid that.

Yep, and he even is bending his knees and squatting a bit.

I'm also really surprised we've never caught Dougie wearing lifts. He totally comes off as the kind of small stature dude who'd be walking around in wingtips that were basically Louboutins.

• Haha 16

On 10/2/2019 at 1:32 PM, treehugger said:

He's kidding about the 1950's pre-dating the sensuous era of the 1960's right? Has the guy never heard of 1950's pin up?  Good lord. 

He should google Bettie Page. And Playboy began in 1955.

• Upvote 15

On 10/3/2019 at 2:58 AM, Howl said:

has he met the Phillips daughter who is into 1940-50s dresses?

Yes he has - and I wondered the same. Could this be the clumsy start of making a move on a Phillips maiden? - Nattie loves you just the way you are - when you're all dressed up and hanging with the veterans.

6 hours ago, thoughtful said:

one thing that always puzzled me about the wide stance is that it made Doug shorter. You'd think his vanity would make him want to avoid that.

I've asked before, in the Ask an Ex Fundie (VF style) thread, if anyone has seen early evidence of the Colossus Stance. I suspect Doug borrowed (maybe even unconsciously) the stance from the same tall man I believe he got the idea of manly adventures from (since I'm close to certain that neither the stance nor the adventures were a twinkle in Doug's eye before he met this guy - whose name I won't drag in here, since he's not a tool). If anyone has proof of the stance in the 90s, I will abandon my guess. I always figured, BTW, that Doug's vanity attempted to make up for lack of height with speed of speech. Like a small dog.

Need Nattie really hate the whole of the 60s - surely society only 'goes to Hell' in the middle of the decade? I think it's only a matter of time before he and his ilk move on to an early 60s fetish. That, to my mind, will be the last frontier of the VF mentality, and they will not be able to progress further with their dress-ups without worldview adjustments. Should we offer to send Nattie a collarless jacket? (I'd suggest mustard, but I'm sure he'll prefer grey) - because with a very little work I reckon he's close to being able to pull off a mop top. Just imagine the boy band, of former VF interns, with Douglas as Epstein!

But even playing lead guitar for The Non-Syncopated (perhaps just Constipated) Beatles - will anyone want to hold Nattie's hand? (not, I imagine, if he's been wiping his butt with a handful of grass after his forest poop)

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Thanks to the awesomely talented @thoughtful for this gem:

707650339_Dougnipple.jpg.95e168e196cccb9c46c2f07ce7c152a1.jpg.baaf1a7337436d466d8da40c7fb53e09.jpg

Whenever I see this picture I just think "Wow"! How one person can promote biblical patriarchy (and all the other crap VF stood for), disappear and suddenly show up in the vintage/50's/rockabilly scene (nothing wrong with that - great fashion era IMHO) just goes beyond my imagination. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

How one person can promote biblical patriarchy (and all the other crap VF stood for), disappear and suddenly show up in the vintage/50's/rockabilly scene (nothing wrong with that - great fashion era IMHO) just goes beyond my imagination. 

Oh, it makes perfect sense to me. He is an opportunistic, exhibitionistic narcissist who will do anything that lets him play with cameras, be near beautiful brunettes, dress up in costumes from another era, feel important and, if possible, get money.

The "moral" and religious teachings of VF were incidental to him, I think, and the patriarchy part only appealed because men ruled and women yielded.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 10

On 10/2/2019 at 4:29 PM, Sonic the Whoredgehog said:

He looks like Jim Bob Duggar and Jake Gyllenhaal had a baby

I saw a bit of The Breakfast Club while flipping channels last night, and I think there's a bit of Emilio Esteves in there, too.

image.png.dca85ec216558f9cfafe1942d1f21613.png

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, FundieGhostWriter said:

Yes he has - and I wondered the same. Could this be the clumsy start of making a move on a Phillips maiden? - Nattie loves you just the way you are - when you're all dressed up and hanging with the veterans.

Well, she IS in Georgia today...

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, AnnaSofia said:

But isn't Natty about 60 years too young for her?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 16

Hey Nattie-boy!

Want in one hand and shit in the other...see which one gets full first :)

• Haha 5

I let it pass because I think she sees it as “dressing up.” I don’t think she wears that much makeup all the time. She still looks beautiful caked in makeup.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

So I just went down the rabbit hole of Jtits Phillips' twitter and insta. He was retweeting antibrexit tweets and the video of Greta Thunberg glaring at Trump. He also looks incredibly happy and seems to be doing well, with nary a mention of God. I have not been keeping up the Doug and Be-all and the Spawn, but damn....

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 8

11 hours ago, thoughtful said:

The "moral" and religious teachings of VF were incidental to him, I think

Calvinism, Patriarchy, Quiverfull, FIC... these might seem incidental to Doug's heart, but they were the lifeblood of his strategy. He used them as a wedge to break open the homeschool market. No one is as visionary as me, nothing is as pure as VF, those outside my plan are worldlings to be silenced. He inspired a teen-Gestapo of self-righteous ignoramuses to tour conventions checking on the Calvinist credentials of exhibitors. 'They might seem like nice people, but are they the right sort of Christians? Let's see if we can convert them.' This, from kids so clueless on theology that a single basic question could flummox them. But they were so sure they were right, 'because Doug said so', that they would soon return to the fray louder (but no better informed) than ever. As for female submission and silence - if a teen maiden was a good Dougite, it was OK for her to launch a Calvinist inquisition into her male Christian elders. Douglas did not die from irony deficiency, because he was so well vaccinated with hypocrisy.

It occurs to me that Nattie's pals long ago embraced the youth culture of the late 60s - Chinese style. They dreamed of Cultural Revolution, and behaved like an entitled little pack of Red Guards. I mentioned collarless jackets upthread: now I'm picturing the interns as a C-Pop boy band in Mao Zedong jackets. And for the young folk: when I said 'Douglas as Epstein', I meant Brian. I wouldn't go so far as to equate him with Jeffrey.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, FundieGhostWriter said:

Calvinism, Patriarchy, Quiverfull, FIC... these might seem incidental to Doug's heart, but they were the lifeblood of his strategy. He used them as a wedge to break open the homeschool market. No one is as visionary as me, nothing is as pure as VF, those outside my plan are worldlings to be silenced. He inspired a teen-Gestapo of self-righteous ignoramuses to tour conventions checking on the Calvinist credentials of exhibitors. 'They might seem like nice people, but are they the right sort of Christians? Let's see if we can convert them.' This, from kids so clueless on theology that a single basic question could flummox them. But they were so sure they were right, 'because Doug said so', that they would soon return to the fray louder (but no better informed) than ever. As for female submission and silence - if a teen maiden was a good Dougite, it was OK for her to launch a Calvinist inquisition into her male Christian elders. Douglas did not die from irony deficiency, because he was so well vaccinated with hypocrisy.

It occurs to me that Nattie's pals long ago embraced the youth culture of the late 60s - Chinese style. They dreamed of Cultural Revolution, and behaved like an entitled little pack of Red Guards. I mentioned collarless jackets upthread: now I'm picturing the interns as a C-Pop boy band in Mao Zedong jackets. And for the young folk: when I said 'Douglas as Epstein', I meant Brian. I wouldn't go so far as to equate him with Jeffrey.

To the embolden:  Is that true?  Did he intentionally do this or was this a byproduct of his teachings?  Crazy stuff!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 10/4/2019 at 6:02 PM, thoughtful said:

Doug owned an invisible pony.

Thank you! Laughed so hard, I cured my allergies! 

On 10/4/2019 at 8:00 PM, hoipolloi said:

We actually subscribe to the NYer and, boy, I'd like to set them straight. Would also love to see a long read article in there on the VF/DPIART debacle + its leghumpers and a where-are-they-now update.

HOWEVER -- if the NYer is going to use the likes of Jen Fishburne for fact-checking....

All the more reason to dialog with them! They can’t know what we do about the cast of players.  I humbly hope you’ll send them what you’re thinking about. 

• Upvote 8

On 10/5/2019 at 4:16 PM, AnnaSofia said:

Using the information you provided , I just found her YouTube channel .  https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC4KuRTZXJpW0LFS2fi2BfnA/videos   And I am not sure if their worldview is exactly identical , but her vintage look reminds me of Stell Bell.    1525473613966.jpg 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Is this style a thing among millennials?   I watch a lot of cooking shows in the background while I'm doing other stuff and recently, as in the last few seasons, on some shows I've noticed that these older hairstyles and to maybe a slightly lesser extent the fashion seems to be popular.

Of course, when I tried to find some examples of what I meant I am totally drawing a blank on everyone's name except for Monti Carlo on Masterchef from a couple seasons ago.   This isn't the best picture but gives you sort of an idea of the hair style.

image.png

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Curious said:

Is this style a thing among millennials?   I watch a lot of cooking shows in the background while I'm doing other stuff and recently, as in the last few seasons, on some shows I've noticed that these older hairstyles and to maybe a slightly lesser extent the fashion seems to be popular.

Of course, when I tried to find some examples of what I meant I am totally drawing a blank on everyone's name except for Monti Carlo on Masterchef from a couple seasons ago.   This isn't the best picture but gives you sort of an idea of the hair style.

image.png

Interesting question .  Here's what I found , when I posed it to a search engine .  https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2015/05/27/generation-finds-comfort-ways-their-grandparents/wxI6HYookYlbQreEmp091M/story.html   ,  https://studybreaks.com/culture/past/

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2