IGNORED

Maxwell 31: InVESTing in Quality Bible Bindings

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Did he RETIRE from the USAF? I know it's not huge money, but a military pension + Social Security (if he had a job/paid in after USAF), a paid off house. Possible investments or 401(k). They are likely doing fine. Let's remember they were able to pay cash for a bus and keep it gassed up and all. That wasn't cheap.

@Palimpsest usually knows this stuff. I do not think so but he was a well-paid professional for most of his career. He should be able to access free health care at the VA though. He was a professional during the era when companies still offered vested pensions and the type of benefits that kept the employees around for a long time. My uncle still draws a monthly pension check from the Baptist Sunday School Board and he has not directly been employed there since he was in his mid-40s.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

@Palimpsest  He was a professional during the era when companies still offered vested pensions and the type of benefits that kept the employees around for a long time.

In which case he's much luckier than my late father who lost two pensions to mergers!

Owning their home outright, owning their cars outright, they can live on very little. For THAT I do admire them. That's about the only thing I can think to say I admire them for......

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, sparkles said:

Stevehovah: Appetites are developed in childhood. Consider well what appetites the toys you are giving to your children fuel within them.

Well thank God my parents taught me to read and then fuelled that appetite by giving me books so I could see horizons beyond the very small town I was growing up in. The absolute saddest thing to me about so many of these fundamentalist groups is the deliberate stifling of curiosity and denial of the tools to learn more about the world they are in to children. And seriously, giving a child a book should be a really easy present - there's even Christian sci-fi (as I found out yesterday, somewhat to my amusement.)

Beyond that - take them to a lake, or a different park, or a mall, a museum, or even an interesting historic site for the day. Teach them something they're interested in learning. Talk to them and learn who they are rather than lecturing at them. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

31 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Well thank God my parents taught me to read and then fuelled that appetite by giving me books so I could see horizons beyond the very small town I was growing up in. The absolute saddest thing to me about so many of these fundamentalist groups is the deliberate stifling of curiosity and denial of the tools to learn more about the world they are in to children. And seriously, giving a child a book should be a really easy present - there's even Christian sci-fi (as I found out yesterday, somewhat to my amusement.)

Beyond that - take them to a lake, or a different park, or a mall, a museum, or even an interesting historic site for the day. Teach them something they're interested in learning. Talk to them and learn who they are rather than lecturing at them. 

Can’t do that. They aren’t supposed to have their own interest. God doesn’t want that. Can’t have them learning anything, outside of approved things, because they may leave the faith or call them out on their silly hypocrisies. We can’t have kids asking to many questions either. 

It is so sad because reading is a great escape from life. As a kid my mom took my brothers and I to the library every week. We would each pick out some books to read. I loved the box car mysteries. I would stay up late into the night reading. My dad also read to my younger brother and me before bed. I didn’t excel at much in school so reading was everything to me. Even as an adult I spend a lot of time reading.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 9

I feel sorry for Sarah. Ellie is her consolation prize for never getting married and having kids. She seems very attached to her. I hope she’s ok.

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

I hope that she gets better soon.  The look in her eyes in that second photo is so sad. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

A little rage.  This is why maybe you shouldn’t go against God and try to breed your dog.  It’s a sign. 

She mentions surgery, so I’m guessing she’ll be spayed.  

ETA - of course I hope Ellie feels better soon.  But it’s not like she chose this in the first place. 

Edited by OhNoNike
  • Upvote 14
  • Love 3

She didn’t say where the infection was, but if it was in her uterus, could it have been a “missed miscarriage” in a dog?  I assume that happens?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, OhNoNike said:

She didn’t say where the infection was, but if it was in her uterus, could it have been a “missed miscarriage” in a dog?  I assume that happens?

I don’t know much about this but one of the guys at work breeds grey hounds. His female was pregnant and halfway through the pregnancy the pups were gone. Female bodies absorb them. 

It must really hurt for Sarah more than non fundies because she is single and can’t have kids of her own. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I feel sad for Sarah. I am childless-by-choice and my cat is my heart. I can’t imagine the fear she’s in. Ellie has been Sarah’s baby substitute. I feel for her. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

I really hope Ellie will be OK much more for her than Poor Sarah though.  I know Sarah wanted to breed her but this was a stupid idea to begin with not to mention there will be a huge vet bill.  Sorry to be cynical but I am not a fan of pet breeders.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 3

13 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I really hope Ellie will be OK much more for her than Poor Sarah though.  I know Sarah wanted to breed her but this was a stupid idea to begin with not to mention there will be a huge vet bill.  Sorry to be cynical but I am not a fan of pet breeders.

I certainly hope this will end their breeding attempts. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

7 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I thought the dog was dead the way she wrote that post.

Me too,i thought she had gotten run over or something. It seems like ellie will be ok although she wont be able to breed her anymore, which is for the best.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

The best case scenario in my mind is for Ellie to be okay and spayed.

I do too. But I have this feeling Sarah had put a lot of hope on these puppies. Maybe because they are the only babies she will ever have. That’s sad as hell. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I do too. But I have this feeling Sarah had put a lot of hope on these puppies. Maybe because they are the only babies she will ever have. That’s sad as hell. 

I don't disagree with that at all. It is sad. But I still don't think it is in Ellie's best interest to be bred by Sarah/Steve. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

I wrote a post in the Ellie thread about a dog that my vet brother treated for pyometra about 40 years ago.  I'm pretty sure from what Sarah wrote that Ellie has pyometra.  The treatment for it, after the dog's condition is stabilized as much as it can be, is to spay the dog.  Some dogs will have pus dripping from their vulvas.  In other dogs, though,  the infection is a closed infection and is all in the uterus.  Whichever, it's a very serious condition and septic shock is not uncommon.  The dog my brother operated on was in septic shock before surgery.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 5

I was wondering if it might be pyometra. I don't know much about it besides it happens to intact females and is very serious. Poor Ellie. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

That is the best-written thing Sarah has ever produced.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

I feel bad for both Ellie and Sarah. I think this is the most honest, heartfelt post she’s written and I feel the concern she has for her dog. I hope all turns out ok. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

What a gut punch— poor Sarah. Really it’s a brave and independent thing, for Maxwell, that she posted immediately and out of the normal schedule. They JUST posted on the Bible memorization so aren’t due for a new post until Friday. This is truly Sarah reaching out and that’s really beautiful. 

I’ve long suspected that Sarah is depressed. She’s been assigned this job of historian, blogging about NOTHING, because it’s a “job” they can give her that keeps her in an important but pretty detached role. She helped raise the reversals and now they are in every way her peers so keeping this role makes her important and vital and I don’t know, needed. Meanwhile she is behind a camera. Anyways my .02. Life has been hard for her and she’s been given a bum deal. 

• Upvote 20
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Thanks for putting it in perspective.

My first thought was really for Ellie, because it’s not like she asked to be bred. 

However, I do need to remember where Sarah is coming from.  We’re the same age, and I know before I had kids, my cats were very important to me. (The cats have since passed on, and I obviously cared for them a great deal but the kids took precedence).  I realize she’s really doing these blog posts and writing and such, but it’s important for many to feel needed, and she’s had that with Ellie (and also the potential incoming puppies).   So I do feel really sad for her, this must be gut wrenching. 

But I also hope Ellie will be better soon, and that if she is spayed, it will increase her lifespan and Sarah will get more time. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic