IGNORED

College Admissions Scandal: Felicity Huffman Arrested!

Howl

51 minutes ago, Deleorean88mph said:

http://www.papermag.com/olivia-jade-college-admissions-scam-2633896879.html

This article is a lot of he said/she said, but why specifically did the girls have to be part of the rowing team? Wouldn't it put up a red flag when neither girl can prove that they can compete with the team?

I don’t know the specifics of the Mossimo’s scam, but several of the other athletic scams including coaches. The plan was that the students would be admitted based off (non-existent) athletic abilities and then would suffer an injury sometime prior to the season starting. The student “wouldn’t be able” to participate in the sport, but would already have gained admittance to the school. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was how the scam worked for Isabella and Olivia. 

50 minutes ago, Deleorean88mph said:

Even if Olivia did know, her parents are primarily responsible. They did her no favors by taking this risk.

I honestly don’t see how she couldn’t have known. This wasn’t a case where test scores were changed after a student took the test like with Felicity Huffman's daughter. I could honestly see Sophia (or is it Georgia?) having no clue about the scam because it wouldn’t have required her participation. But Isabella and Olivia posed for photos that made it appear that they were members of a crew team. I don’t see how they couldn’t have known something was up with that or with the fact that they would have been informed they were members of the USC Crew team upon admittance. I agree that their parents still deserve the majority of the blame, but any student who knew deserves to be held responsible for their part as well (whether legally or just in the court of public opinion.) 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

50 minutes ago, Deleorean88mph said:

Even if Olivia did know, her parents are primarily responsible. They did her no favors by taking this risk.

While Olivia probably knew a lot of what was going on, her parents were responsible for it. Her parents were the adults and the ones doing everything to get her and her sister into college. Olivia would have been better at a beauty school or doing a media studies course, given that she is beauty blogger, either of those courses or a combination of both would have benefited her but her.

They have now done more damage to their own and their children's futures now than what would have happened had not intervened.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Deleorean88mph said:

http://www.papermag.com/olivia-jade-college-admissions-scam-2633896879.html

This article is a lot of he said/she said, but why specifically did the girls have to be part of the rowing team? Wouldn't it put up a red flag when neither girl can prove that they can compete with the team?

Didn't they bribe the coaches?   Maybe part of the bribes involved them being placed on the disabled list.  ?

I'm mostly shocked that it's so pervasive.  Wonder how many dirtbag parents have gotten away with stunts like this?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Deleorean88mph said:

While Olivia probably knew a lot of what was going on, her parents were responsible for it. Her parents were the adults and the ones doing everything to get her and her sister into college. Olivia would have been better at a beauty school or doing a media studies course, given that she is beauty blogger, either of those courses or a combination of both would have benefited her.

They have now done more damage to their own and their children's futures now than what would have happened had not intervened. While, I am no fan of Olivia, I also think it's unfair that she is now getting a lot of hate and abuse thrown at her. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/still-vlog-jail-olivia-jade-150900150.html

This article is basically saying that Lori and Mossimo could have screwed their daughters over by turning down a plea deal. Prosecutors will likely want to interview Isabella and Olivia the longer this drags on and that’ll open both girls up to potential charges if they’re found to have known about the scam. Olivia especially could be at risk because her “brand” depends on her being a public person and the more she speaks out (or others speak out anonymously for her) the more likely she is to unintentionally incriminate herself. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

On 4/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I admit her husband seems sleazy to me so I can’t say I’m surprised. But LL has the “sweet mom next door” act down to a T.

I guess she's a better actress than we all thought!

Also, regarding the rowing picture, don't colleges check stuff like that out with the high school the applicant came from?  Apparently not, I guess.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

This article is basically saying that Lori and Mossimo could have screwed their daughters over by turning down a plea deal. Prosecutors will likely want to interview Isabella and Olivia the longer this drags on and that’ll open both girls up to potential charges if they’re found to have known about the scam. Olivia especially could be at risk because her “brand” depends on her being a public person and the more she speaks out (or others speak out anonymously for her) the more likely she is to unintentionally incriminate herself. 

They seem like such assholes! The girls were definitely spoiled with material items (you can see this in their Christmas haul videos) but I kind of feel bad that they were raised by such self centered jerks. 

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Selfish ass parents most would have taken the plea deal to avoid their children being in trouble and they could end up doing more time than what was offered. 

Those girls had no chance with the horrible selfish parents.

• Upvote 4

https://people.com/crime/lori-loughlin-thinks-any-mom-would-have-done-it-says-source/

So if she had accepted the plea bargain, what would have happened with the $ laundering charges?

In some ways she has treated her kids similarly to the fundies we discuss. She wanted specific plans for their future so forced it upon them in any way she could. 

Edited by Deleorean88mph
  • Upvote 8

4 hours ago, Deleorean88mph said:

https://people.com/crime/lori-loughlin-thinks-any-mom-would-have-done-it-says-source/

So if she had accepted the plea bargain, what would have happened with the $ laundering charges?

In some ways she has treated her kids similarly to the fundies we discuss. She wanted specific plans for their future so forced it upon them in any way she could. 

No Lori, you didn't do what any mother would do. A lot of parents that are more famous and richer than you haven't done it. She was caring more about bragging that her daughter's were college graduates than anything else.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

No Lori, you didn't do what any mother would do. A lot of parents that are more famous and richer than you haven't done it. She was caring more about bragging that her daughter's were college graduates than anything else.

USC graduates in particular. The girls could have gotten into another college without lying. She wanted USC for the prestige. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

56 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

USC graduates in particular. The girls could have gotten into another college without lying. She wanted USC for the prestige. 

Not just Lori. Mossimo too. He’s just as responsible for what’s happening to their family as she is. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Not just Lori. Mossimo too. He’s just as responsible for what’s happening to their family as she is. 

Definitely. He’s supposedly the one who said his kids wouldn’t be going to ASU as if it was a college made of garbage. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I know Loughlin didn't plead guilty, but I wonder if there was actually a compromise offer on the table for them yet.   For Huffman and some of the others, it was no-brainer.  Their crimes were lesser and at worst they'll do very brief stints in federal prison. 

My BIL's wife was arrested by the Feds for identity theft and embezzlement.  She hired the best federally experienced defenders money could buy and pleaded not guilty.  No offer was ever on the table, although perhaps one could have been worked out.  Later money laundering was added, but I'm not sure if that was due to further investigation by the FBI or to put pressure on her.  Possibly both.  After well over a year, she was told by her attorney that  if she pleaded guilty to everything in court she'd probably get less than 6 - 8 years as opposed to the 25 plus she was facing.  She then pleaded guilty and is now doing 6 years in federal prison.  The whole drama took about 2 years.

My sense all along was that her attorney may have been dragging things out as long as possible to milk his billing until crunch time. Last I heard her legal bill was well over 200k but I'm sure it ended up much higher.   My understanding though is that the vast majority people in the federal court system for white collar crimes do end up pleading guilty to avoid very long sentences.    Bottom line, the feds know what they are doing and if you did the crime, paying a fancy lawyer to fight it will probably just make you poorer.

• Upvote 6

• Haha 13

4 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Bottom line, the feds know what they are doing and if you did the crime, paying a fancy lawyer to fight it will probably just make you poorer.

4 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

No offer was ever on the table, although perhaps one could have been worked out.  Later money laundering was added, but I'm not sure if that was due to further investigation by the FBI or to put pressure on her.  Possibly both.

The problem is that if you are both innocent and not rich you will very likely take a plea because the system is unaffordable. Adding in more charges essentially just forces people to take the easier and affordable route, no matter whether they are in fact guilty.

In this case I personally think they're guilty but they are also very rich - so they may well get away with it given the quality of lawyer they can likely afford.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:08 AM, VelociRapture said:

Isabella and Olivia posed for photos that made it appear that they were members of a crew team.

"Hey come and do this modelling shoot!"?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

In this case I personally think they're guilty but they are also very rich - so they may well get away with it given the quality of lawyer they can likely afford.

My BIL's wife had one of the best in the state.  She still ended up doing time that fit within the federal guidelines for the crimes she pled guilty to.  Federal sentencing guidelines for white collar crimes are much stricter these days.  Unless this is all a big misunderstanding, she will likely plead guilty to some or all of the charges and have to do time in federal prison.  Where there is no parole. 

• Upvote 4

Lotus decided to go the Jeeeeeezus route.

Ugh.

Lori. Not Loftus.

Fucking autocorrect.

I’m not editing the post since Tapatalk would fornicate it all up.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

On 4/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

Such hubris.  These people had enough money to send their kids to great schools.  Just not great enough for their little darlings.

I see some well-deserved federal prison time coming.

And this is what sleazy Lori Loughlin had to say about the '16 "election"

"My heart is beating so fast. I am a little nervous to even speak today. I honestly didn't think... Donald was going to win, and I can't say that I'm upset about it."

Aunt Becky deserves to go to prison just for that comment alone.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

Aunt Becky deserves to go to prison just for that comment alone.

Isn’t pretty much everyone associated with Full House Branch Trumpvidian?
  • Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I doubt the twins are Trump supporters. But who knows. MK and Ashley are rather odd.

• Upvote 4

I didn't realize Lori was such a prestige seeking twat?  She seems to have raised at least 1 worthless member of society in Olivia. 

Oh an I love Kathleen Madigan. 

Bob Saget and Uncle Jesse?  Trumpians? Please NO!!!!?

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Candace Cameron Bure probably is, not sure about the rest.

• Upvote 4

I don’t think that the outcome will be as favorable as Lori and Mossimo want or expect. 

• Upvote 5