IGNORED

College Admissions Scandal: Felicity Huffman Arrested!

Howl

Meanwhile Lori seems to think she's not going to be doing a new series called Bigger House...

When faced with the prospect of serving hard jail time as a result of paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to get your kids into the party school of their choice, as well as the demise of a successful career playing an antiques dealer who solves mysteries, most people would probably keep their heads down and try to avoid attracting attention as much as possible. Most people, however, aren’t Aunt Becky.

On Wednesday, actress Lori Loughlin, who is best known for portraying Rebecca “Becky” Donaldson on the beloved 1990s sitcom Full House (and on the recent reboot Fuller House) seemed blissfully unaware of her dire legal circumstances as she signed autographs for fans outside a Boston courthouse. Clad in a camel hair coat, a grey sweater, and oversized black-rimmed glasses, Loughlin was all smiles as she posed with fans, with some supporters shouting, “Free Aunt Becky” and “Pay my tuition.” (Reports that she responded by giving a thumbs-up and saying, “You got it, dude” are unconfirmed at this time.)

TMZ reported that a federal law enforcement official said that prosecutors will likely recommend that Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, another prominent actress embroiled in the scandal, will serve some prison time as part of a potential plea bargain, partially as a way to make an example of them. “You can’t have people being treated differently because they have money,” the official told TMZ. “That’s how we got to this place. Every defendant will be treated the same.”

So enjoy the limelight while you can, Aunt Becky. Because there’s a strong possibility that the next autograph you sign could be on the bottom of a women’s state penitentiary entry form.

• Upvote 7

I’m still very skeptical they will serve actual prison time. If they do, it will be 30 days. They won’t be there for long. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m still very skeptical they will serve actual prison time. If they do, it will be 30 days. They won’t be there for long. 

Agreed.  And imo fining them does more for society anyway.  Not like Aunt Becky is a threat to roam the streets but slap them with hefty fines and put them toward education.

which the state would piss away anyway so it doesn’t matter.  

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

“You can’t have people being treated differently because they have money,” the official told TMZ.

But that’s exactly how our justice system works.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

Hitting them where ot hurts. Money!  To be donated to schools or scholarships for kids who need it. 

I really hate how we jail people or threaten jail. IMO, jail is for violent people, thieves.  Not addicts, white collar crime or traffic tickets.  But, that would make sense,  something our system is allergic to. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

Not addicts, white collar crime or traffic tickets. 

Have to agree to disagree on this one.  Con men, especially wealthy men, have bilked people out of millions if not billions of dollars.  It seems the wealthier they are and the more they steal, the less time they serve.  If there were real repercussions to this type of theft, including hard prison time, people might think twice before they rip people off.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

30 minutes ago, Howl said:

Have to agree to disagree on this one.  Con men, especially wealthy men, have bilked people out of millions if not billions of dollars.  It seems the wealthier they are and the more they steal, the less time they serve.  If there were real repercussions to this type of theft, including hard prison time, people might think twice before they rip people off.  

I do agree.  But, like you said, they get off easy. I'd be all for it IF they went to prison with the violent members of society. But, they don't.  So, I guess to me it seems stripping them of their money would be worse for them.  Idk the answer, just seems unfair they go to a cushy prison for a while and come out going right back. What good is that?  It's frustrating at best. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

But that’s exactly how our justice system works.

But in this case, for this crime, everyone is going to have money.

Low income people aren’t ever going to be tossing around high dollar bribes to pretend their kids can row a boat really well.

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

Hitting them where ot hurts. Money!  To be donated to schools or scholarships for kids who need it. 

It won’t go there, though.  It will line the governments pockets by disappearing into that black hole of graft where people bribe and schmooze their way into jobs and contracts if they can’t find a relative to put them on the payroll.

And are they going to even look at the parents who for hundreds of years have gotten kids in on legacy with huge donations to the schools, connected enough not to need the middleman?  

I’m guessing no.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

IF they went to prison with the violent members of society. But, they don't.

It’s another topic, but I do think all people should be protected from violence while in custody.

im not saying it should be cush  or pleasant, but physical assault shouldn’t be part of our system of punishment.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 15

28 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It’s another topic, but I do think all people should be protected from violence while in custody.

im not saying it should be cush  or pleasant, but physical assault shouldn’t be part of our system of punishment.

Didn't mean for it to come across like that. More like, the crimes committed are serious and therefore prison is where they all belong. Never said I thought they should get beat up.  I just fail to see the point of white collar prisons. People who commit multiple acts of petty theft have to go to regular prison. They don't get the cushier jail, meanwhile, the Bernie Madoff types get off easier. Not fair. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

Didn't mean for it to come across like that. More like, the crimes committed are serious and therefore prison is where they all belong. Never said I thought they should get beat up.  I just fail to see the point of white collar prisons. People who commit multiple acts of petty theft have to go to regular prison. They don't get the cushier jail, meanwhile, the Bernie Madoff types get off easier. Not fair. 

I agree with you.  Was posting on the fly on my phone - should have clarified I was just opining and I didn’t think you were suggesting physical retribution for D list actresses.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I agree with you.  Was posting on the fly on my phone - should have clarified I was just opining and I didn’t think you were suggesting physical retribution for D list actresses.

No worries! I can see how it could come across that way. Lots of people like " prison justice ".  I am not a fan of violence anywhere.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Beermeet said:

So, I guess to me it seems stripping them of their money would be worse for them.  Idk the answer, just seems unfair they go to a cushy prison for a while and come out going right back. What good is that?  It's frustrating at best.

One thing to consider is, it's not their money.  It's money they stole from others.  If all of their money was confiscated from them AND they were sent to prison, that's what would get their attention, big time. 

I recall from two past scandals -- the Savings and Loan scandal way back when and the Enron implosion, everyone was talking about what great philanthropists the perps were, until many people pointed out that they were giving away money that wasn't theirs.  Bernie Madoff is one of the few scam artists that really got what he deserved.  

Anyway, Meghan McCain on The View said that  Lori Loughlin has "become the face of everything, culturally, we hate about white privilege.”

Really, Meghan McCain has called someone out over white privilege.  No seriously, she did.  As someone pointed out on twitter, irony officially died today. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

Felicity Huffman, and twelve other parents, will plead guilty. She has admitted her guilt, but insists her daughter knew nothing about her scores being altered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/us/felicity-huffman-guilty.html

ETA: I read in a People Magazine article that the daughter’s scores were altered after she took the test, so she could be entirely truthful when she said her daughter didn’t know. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

59 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Felicity Huffman, and twelve other parents, will plead guilty. She has admitted her guilt, but insists her daughter knew nothing about her scores being altered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/us/felicity-huffman-guilty.html

I think in the case of her daughter she probably didn't know that they were altering her answers, after she took her test. I don't believe Olivia Jade didn't know for one minute.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

What's crazy about this whole scandal is...if the parents had to bribe so much $ just for their kids to get into college, maybe college wasn't for them. Invest in a vocation that interests the child. Olivia Jade wants to be an instagram model, let her pursue that insted of sitting in classes that she doesn't want to be in.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I think in the case of her daughter she probably didn't know that they were altering her answers, after she took her test. I don't believe Olivia Jade didn't know for one minute.

Same. Olivia and her sister posed for photos for a sport neither of them participated in. I really don’t see how they wouldn’t have known on some level that something was off about that. I could see how Felicity’s daughter might not have known if her tests were actually altered after the fact though. It’d be easy enough to leave her out of the loop on that. If that’s the case then I do feel sympathy for Felicity’s daughter and I hope that she’ll be allowed to retake the test and apply to other schools in the future.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Same. Olivia and her sister posed for photos for a sport neither of them participated in. I really don’t see how they wouldn’t have known on some level that something was off about that. I could see how Felicity’s daughter might not have known if her tests were actually altered after the fact though. It’d be easy enough to leave her out of the loop on that. If that’s the case then I do feel sympathy for Felicity’s daughter and I hope that she’ll be allowed to retake the test and apply to other schools in the future.

Definitely, Felicity's daughter should not be punished for her mother's actions. Felicity at least is acknowledging what she done and comes across as somewhat remorseful, compared to Lori and her family, they seem to be acting like it's one big joke, Lori posing for pictures and taking selfies with fans before court like it was a red carpet event. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

It seems Lori and co were also into money laundering.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

Such hubris.  These people had enough money to send their kids to great schools.  Just not great enough for their little darlings.

I see some well-deserved federal prison time coming.

And this is what sleazy Lori Loughlin had to say about the '16 "election"

"My heart is beating so fast. I am a little nervous to even speak today. I honestly didn't think... Donald was going to win, and I can't say that I'm upset about it."

Edited by JenniferJuniper
  • Upvote 3
  • Disgust 6

44 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

It seems Lori and co were also into money laundering.

Shit's getting real, y'all.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I admit her husband seems sleazy to me so I can’t say I’m surprised. But LL has the “sweet mom next door” act down to a T.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It keeps getting worse. 

Even if Olivia did know, her parents are primarily responsible. They did her no favors by taking this risk.

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I admit her husband seems sleazy to me so I can’t say I’m surprised. But LL has the “sweet mom next door” act down to a T.

I still see her as Aunt Becky!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1