IGNORED

Michael Cohen's House Oversight Committee Hearing 02/27/2019

Cartmann99

Wonder how all this might be affecting Trump's delicate negotiations with North Korea.

With regard to some of the Republicans at the Cohen hearing...I am reminded of the returnees in Stephen King's "Pet Sematary".

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Roy told his wife not to watch because this is such a waste of time

What a sanctimonious PRICK! If my man tried to tell me what to watch on TV he'd get the sharp side of my tongue ? 

Arsehole!

(I'm GLUED to the coverage here in Ireland, this is amazing stuff ?)

• Upvote 14

Thanks for all the additional info and comments on the Cohen grilling.  I am listening to it in the background, but get cranky if I have to watch, lol.   That's really something about his having more tapes that are or were in the FBI's possession (did I understand that correctly).  Some of these people, mostly Republican, don't seem to have a good grasp of the situation and seem to wish the whole thing wasn't happening.  Ha ha!  Too late!

5 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

We're going into recess of about an hour, so you have time to hit the liquor store before we reconvene.

We ran out for take-out pizza between the slow talking guy and the fast talking guy, so we're taking a pizza-and-much-needed- beer break.   :pizza:  :text-givemebeer:

• Upvote 10

One hour recess according to CNN, perfect timing for my one hour 3:00 meeting. Rufus is with me today!

• Upvote 8

The republicans really have their heads stuck in a hole over this. They are so tied up with Trump that they can't stand the thought of him going down. 

I really wish Hannity was going down but I doubt we will be that lucky. 

Cohen has lost a lot of his smarmy attitude, I guess pondering three years in jail will do that to you. It seems like there is a lot going on in the background that we don't know and Cohen is giving them everything he has. 

• Upvote 8

A wee programming note:

The folks at C-Span3 originally blocked out 10am-4pm ET for this hearing, but they have now added an hour to their estimate. Since Cohen has another closed hearing already scheduled for tomorrow, this one could possibly run until 6pm ET. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

I haven't been posting because I had to cook dinner -- with my headphones on listening to the testimony. Then we ate it and had the hearing on; a highly unusual occurrence at casa fraurosena (dinner is for eating and talking, not watching tv) but I made an executive decision to make an exception :my_biggrin:.

My takeaways:

The repugs are shouting because they want to convey they're righteously indignant. They're only succeeding in making themselves look incredibly foolish. I find their attacks on Cohen comical (you're a liar) and their attacks on the Dems (you're only doing this so you can impeach, you're wasting our time) incredibly offensive and hypocritical. I hate their insinuations that Cohen and the Dems coordinated this testimony. 

The dems are asking questions everybody already knows the answers to, and I find that rather disappointing. C'mon dems, start digging!  I'm pinning my hopes on AOC and Tlaib to finally ask some questions that will reveal something new.

I don't like Cohen. He's a crook, and not really a man seeking redemption. He's seeking to redeem his image. That's his prerogative, of course, but he's not fooling me. That said, I admire his gumption in standing up to the repugs.

Two of my favorite comebacks up till now:

"Not one of you has asked me about the presidunce, the actual reason I'm here for."

"I'm sorry, are you talking about me, or the presidunce?"

• Upvote 12

12 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

The repugs are shouting because they want to convey they're righteously indignant. They're only succeeding in making themselves look incredibly foolish.

Meadows especially. I don't know if he was lying about the form or if he really thought that he had a gotcha moment where he had caught Cohen lying, but all that happened was he looked like an idiot. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

Oh, the WaPo Youtube site I'm watching the testimony on are commenting that the repugs on the committee have all had their turn to ask questions. If true, that means that now there will only be dems left to ask their questions. I hope they have agreed upon a line of questioning and will be working together to get info from Cohen. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, IrishCarrie said:

What a sanctimonious PRICK! If my man tried to tell me what to watch on TV he'd get the sharp side of my tongue ? 

Arsehole!

(I'm GLUED to the coverage here in Ireland, this is amazing stuff ?)

Not many men have told an Irish woman what to do and lived to tell the tale lol

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • Love 5

No more Benadryl for, I'm going to try and stay awake.

R's just handslapping for him not knowing his place.   I expected more from Ds questionings.  thanks for highlights guys, I keep drifting off.

• Upvote 3

Ha, they're finally back and going to resume any minute now.

• Upvote 2

Cohen says his attorneys still think that his contact with BTA bank isn't the kind of entity that should be disclosed but he's willing to do so if the committee thinks so

GOP wants the truth about all foreign payments. (Now they care about foreign payments but not what Trump gets paid.)

Khanna now talking about a check from Trump. 35000 dollars from a trust.

Executive 2 is Jr.

Khanna asks if SDNY investigates criminal fraud, he'd rather not respond

3 other people equally involved in this conspiracy (Weisselberg, Trump, Jr.)

• Upvote 6

Finally, these dems are asking pertinent questions. Now they're asking about the presiduncial tax returns.

• Upvote 5

Cohen doesn't know if Trump's taxes were really audited, he asked for a copy but wasn't given one.

Trump said he didn't want thinktanks looking at his tax returns.

Because he didn't want to end up in audit. Assuming he's not in audit.

Could Trump be blackmailed? Cohen has seen Trump's taxes but doesn't know them in detail.

Meadows quoting tweets saying Cohen wanted a WH job.

• Upvote 5

AOC's turn: Pecker or two other people know about the treasure trove of documets in AMI vaults.

Trump got a great deal for a golf course that was built with public funds

Trump deflated values of his assets to get lower taxes.

Cohen doesn't know what happened in the 90's. Weisselberg would know.

Asking about the painting auctions. It was about ego. Cohen wasn't involved with the foundation.

He was aware of self dealing. Trump had a paid skype interview with Ukrainian oligarch paid by the charity.

Someone who is a birther, talks about fine people and shithole countries, didn't rent to black people could still be a racist even though he has a black friend.

• Upvote 6

Thank you Rashida Tlaib, pointing out that for all the GOP pontificating about what a shadeyass Cohen is,  his shadeyass criminal butt was Trump's trusted attorney.

Mark Meadows has a black friend.

• Upvote 5