IGNORED

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Coconut Flan

It’s like they are still stuck in the 80s/90s mindset that fat, including McDonald’s, is bad, when the main worry these days is sugar. Diets have moved beyond just “low cal” too. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

New post up.  Amish Anna is pregnant!

Am I missing something? I just see the update about Melanie?

3 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I checked the post twice. 

Teri Maxwell says:

September 16, 2018 at 3:58 pm

For us the sour cream is calories without much nutrition.

”For us”? This is such an odd family. The nutrition in a food is the same for anybody, 

Terifying goes on to group sour cream with canned mushroom soup. I have neither at hand but wouldn’t the dairy product have at least a little protein, in contrast to the soup?

Stuck in the 1950s, indeed; and in the stultifying atmosphere she and her headship have created.

None of them can riff thru a pocket magazine about healthy eating while waiting in the grocery line. They don’t read books, they write them.

in the words of the philosopher B  Bunny (or was it D. Duck?), “What a bunch of maroons!”

33 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I checked the post twice. 

What is today's date?

38 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

What is today?

30 minutes ago, ksuheather said:

Poor Sarah, I think the word you were looking for is exacerbated not exasperated.

I came here to post the same thing.  "The doctor said the ear infection was likely pregnancy exasperated, and that on a scale of 1 to 10, hers rated a 9." <--- Does she truly not understand that the word exasperated doesn't mean "made worse"?

Just now, Rosie said:

I came here to post the same thing.  "The doctor said the ear infection was likely pregnancy exasperated, and that on a scale of 1 to 10, hers rated a 9." <--- Does she truly not understand that the word exasperated doesn't mean "made worse"?

I don't think she does. Her constricted vocabulary showcases the fact they are not well read.  It's like when people say they had "spiral meningitis" rather than spinal meningitis. 

38 minutes ago, ksuheather said:

Poor Sarah, I think the word you were looking for is exacerbated not exasperated.

If she'd grown up reading more than the Bible and bad missionary biographies, she'd know that.  Alas, 'twas not to be.

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

What is today's date?

What is today?

I saw checked their blog this morning. I didn’t see a mentioned that NR-Anna was pregnant again. 

1 hour ago, ksuheather said:

Saw that also this morning--just checked the blog a moment ago and voila! It has been corrected!

On 3/30/2019 at 4:15 AM, Foudeb said:

They really should stop assuming their diet is all right and see a nutritionist. Making big changes is hard but a good nutritionist will come up with tastes similar to what you like, coming in much healthier options,and will likely introduce you to foods you didn't know you liked. And the maxwells are so regimented they'd thrive under a strict meal plan. 

suspect this will just turn into another excuse for Steve to control everyone else and suck the joy out of their lives for the fun of controlling the shit out of them (removing all salt without introducing other seasonings - garlic, herbs, spring onions, spices etc - is pure hell). 

No need! Anna is well educated in nutrition dontcha know?

On 3/30/2019 at 6:48 PM, browngrl said:

I just watched the tribute to Susanna. One thing struck me. I see posts on Reddit where parents have asked people skilled in photoshop to remove tubes/wires from NICU photos. Usually someone manages to create a lovely photo for the parents. the Maxwell's have a business doing computer related things so I am surprised they have not photoshopped the tubes and wires out of at least one picture.

NB : I have a lot of criticism for the Maxwell's fundie beliefs but I'm not criticizing this - people cope how they cope. 

I'm assuming (I know, I know) there are more private pics with the baby probably including after she passed that they've chosen not to put in the slide show.

On 3/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, Lisafer said:

I don't have a problem eating processed or canned foods either. But Stevehovah thinking he doesn't eat a "standard American diet" because he doesn't eat Big Macs is hilarious. He has no reason whatsoever to be smug about his salty, processed meals. 

I mean, in fairness he has no right to be smug about pretty much anything but here we are.

ETA- I'm glad Mel's pregnancy is going well. I'm just a little younger than her and I coiuldn't imagine being pregnant now.

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Teri Maxwell says:

September 16, 2018 at 3:58 pm

For us the sour cream is calories without much nutrition.

”For us”? This is such an odd family. The nutrition in a food is the same for anybody, 

Terifying goes on to group sour cream with canned mushroom soup. I have neither at hand but wouldn’t the dairy product have at least a little protein, in contrast to the soup?

Stuck in the 1950s, indeed; and in the stultifying atmosphere she and her headship have created.

None of them can riff thru a pocket magazine about healthy eating while waiting in the grocery line. They don’t read books, they write them.

in the words of the philosopher B  Bunny (or was it D. Duck?), “What a bunch of maroons!”

I went to check the nutritional information on the sour cream I have.  60 calories in a 2 tablespoon serving.  Calories from fat, 50. Total fat, 5 grams, 3.5 of it saturated.  No trans fat.  Cholesterol, 20 mg. Sodium, 15 mg.  Potassium, 50 mg.  Carbohydrates, 1 g, with it being sugars (Lactose from the milk,)  Protein, 1 gram.   All in all, sour cream is a veritable health food compared to cream of whatever soup.  You can almost always substitute plain yoghurt for the sour cream.  I've not tried it in my pie crust recipe though.  (This is the easiest ever pie crust recipe that I got from Milk Street and it calls for a dab of sour cream in addition to the butter.  You can't taste it though.)  

Both Bugs and Daffy were known to saw " What a maroon", but Bugs may have said it more, frequently about Daffy when he was getting his beak shot off.  I love those old cartoons!

So until the baby is here nothing even kind of...well maybe interesting--I mean not totally boring will be posted then?

Now for the name of the new sprog!

D for girl name---Daughter

C for a boy name--Caleb

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

You can almost always substitute plain yoghurt for the sour cream.  I've not tried it in my pie crust recipe though.  (This is the easiest ever pie crust recipe that I got from Milk Street and it calls for a dab of sour cream in addition to the butter.  You can't taste it though.)  

I have a sugar cooky recipe from about 1910 that calls for baking soda mixed into sour cream and added to the sugar, eggs, butter, flour. Makes the fluffiest, cake-iest sugar cookies ever. Mmm....I need to whip up a batch while it’s still cool outdoors!!! 

Thank goodness Melanie’s sainted schedule allowed things to run smoothly for Mary. Without every 15 minute time block accounted for for each family member Mary would have panicked and the whole house would have descended into chaos!

10 hours ago, lilith said:

Thank goodness Melanie’s sainted schedule allowed things to run smoothly for Mary. Without every 15 minute time block accounted for for each family member Mary would have panicked and the whole house would have descended into chaos!

I mean, would you trust one of those girls to figure out what to do on their own?

22 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

It’s like they are still stuck in the 80s/90s mindset that fat, including McDonald’s, is bad, when the main worry these days is sugar. Diets have moved beyond just “low cal” too. 

My mom is about Teri's age and she's very much stuck in this mindset! It's taken a long time for my sister and I to convince her that eating smaller amounts of real food (that may be higher in calories or fats) is significantly better than the low fat, low calorie boxed stuff she was buying (seriously.   Her "cheese" wouldn't melt no matter how hard we tried).

Yeah, the obsession with things "running smoothly" is over the top.  Do you suppose the Maxwells would ever go white-water rafting? I doubt it.  Things might not run smoothly! There might be a curve in the river or some unruly waves they might have to deal with.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived