IGNORED

Maxwell 29: You Can Leave Your Vest On, Second Verse Same as the First

Coconut Flan

Odd post on tits  to tell us Stevie is not well. 

Thank you so much for your prayers and kind cards. We thought this would be a good time for an update. I’m feeling totally back to normal. 

Do they have a special hidden blog?  Boobs2,com

Finally, Teri and I are delighted to have fully resumed our daily exercise. 

Too much info Stevie....

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

To take us off topic, I listen to (and love!) a podcast called "Behind the Bastards," which talks about terrible people who do terrible things. And, in the great tradition of snark, makes tons of fun of them. In any case, they did a podcast on Trump University, and it is WILD. Like, even worse than I could have imagined. I highly recommend it. 

Hey thanks for this.  I don’t do politics, but this sounds like something I’d appreciate.  Also, just the entire podcast.  I needed a new one in my life. 

9 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I really do think that fundamentalism encourages and fosters/nurtures a lack of empathy, if not outright sociopathy. When anyone who isn't exactly like you is evil at worst and "lost" at best (and you should only befriend or be nice to them as a means to an end), and experiences that would enable (or force) you to see the world from different perspectives are verboten (because they'd make you question your own perspective and thus the cult's perspective), it's hard to learn to be empathetic to others or understand experiences and traumas other than your own. Add in the unhealthy ways of dealing with negative emotions and experiences (slap a smile on and act like it never happened because admitting you feel any emotion other than joy in the light of God would be admitting that the cult is not a happy perfect place all the time), and you have a whole generation of emotionally stunted overgrown children who have little to no empathy for others, controlled by sociopathic/narcissistic parents who found a philosophy that never forces them to acknowledge or own their shitty behavior. 

And the other alternative is that naturally empathetic children become so distressed by the cognitive dissonance in the cult that they resort to self-harming, suicide attempts or suicidal ideation, trying drugs, or creating a double life to hide their "worldly" activities and try to deal with their mental distress. I think that's why some fundies seem to have no empathy. It was easier to close off their emotions than to deal with all that pain. 

1 hour ago, freejugar said:

Really, does the american heart association approve of all that salt in your diet? 

They sounded so damn smug about their diet. “I don’t even remember the last time I ate a Big Mac”. Heart problems can happen to anyone, Stevie.

5 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Hey thanks for this.  I don’t do politics, but this sounds like something I’d appreciate.  Also, just the entire podcast.  I needed a new one in my life. 

The host is a journalist and he always had one or two comedians, so while the topics are sometimes serious, it doesn't 'feel' heavy. I'd recommend the one on Osama Bin Laden as a starter, although my favorite one is the one they did on the founding of the KKK. 

Since everyone here helped me with my cake problems, I want to show you how CAKE 2019 turned out. I think it's the best version so far, and the cake strips Hane and OhNoNike suggested worked well! I even felt brave enough to cut it while it was still in the cake pan. Thank you so much, everyone, for your suggestions.

Spoiler

IMG_2513.thumb.JPG.ef8ed22c10428cd085cb20c668e0a96b.JPG

I thought Stevie wasn't looking very bright and chipper lately, so I'm not surprised to hear he had problems.  He fails to realize that heart problems can happen to anyone, no matter what their lifestyle or diet is like.  True, the more exercise you do, and the healthier the diet, your chances of having problems are reduced but never eliminated.

Watch him become even more controlling (as if that's even possible) of everyone's diet.  Take one bite too many and he will be reduced to sobbing and gnashing his teeth because the offender will be sent to hell!

??

So Coward Steve does this mean only two Animal Crackers for every birthday dessert from here on out even for the Maxgrands?  No more Sunday burrito lunches either?  Honestly I thought you had to have a heart in order to have heart problems.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

They sounded so damn smug about their diet. “I don’t even remember the last time I ate a Big Mac”. Heart problems can happen to anyone, Stevie.

This!  I knew of a girl born with a heart defect, when she was six she had a heart transplant, unfortunately her body rejected the heart and she didn't make it.

So in the comments, Steve makes reference twice to Teri doing the research for his new diet. Come on, Steve, take responsibility for yourself. 

Also, "praying through the food options" really ought to be a post count title!

I'd bet a lot of money that Steve's new diet will be hugely restrictive and mandatory for all family members. He's a control freak and has probably convinced himself that if he restricts his diet enough that he will avoid future issues entirely. Control freaks tend to convince themselves that if they restrict and control themselves to an extreme, that all future issues will be avoided. 

Maybe he'll relax and not enforce his diet on others, but I feel like that's wishful thinking. 

1 minute ago, defraudingjezebel said:

I'd bet a lot of money that Steve's new diet will be hugely restrictive and mandatory for all family members. He's a control freak and has probably convinced himself that if he restricts his diet enough that he will avoid future issues entirely. Control freaks tend to convince themselves that if they restrict and control themselves to an extreme, that all future issues will be avoided. 

Maybe he'll relax and not enforce his diet on others, but I feel like that's wishful thinking. 

I agree that he'll probably try to control the whole family, which isn't good. On the other hand, it probably wouldn't do them any harm to eat a few more green vegetables. I hope they can keep their fancy coffee drinks, though, since they seem to enjoy them so much. 

I'm thinking this must all be a lot of stress for Teri. She's not good at dealing with change of any sort, from what I can tell. 

5 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

One of my neighbors had a heart attack and one stent shortly before Steve's adventure.  Her cardiologist says he recommends a vegan diet for all of his heart attack patients.  Terri would have to scrap almost all of her recipes and start over to have a diet compliant with my neighbor's cardiologist's plan.  I've been giving my neighbor ideas and sharing vegan recipes from my daughter with her.  So much of heart disease can be hereditary.  My neighbor lost both parents to it and she and her doctors have been very vigilant about her diet, exercise, and blood levels and she still had a heart attack in her 60s.  

Teri Will cook the new diet so she Is the one in charge of coming up with it. Don't doctors give patients like this a diet?

58 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

One of my neighbors had a heart attack and one stent shortly before Steve's adventure.  Her cardiologist says he recommends a vegan diet for all of his heart attack patients.  Terri would have to scrap almost all of her recipes and start over to have a diet compliant with my neighbor's cardiologist's plan.  I've been giving my neighbor ideas and sharing vegan recipes from my daughter with her.  So much of heart disease can be hereditary.  My neighbor lost both parents to it and she and her doctors have been very vigilant about her diet, exercise, and blood levels and she still had a heart attack in her 60s.  

My dad was convinced he would die of a heart attack before he hit 50 because two of his mom’s brothers did. He made it past 50. Although he did have open heart surgery a decade ago. I do worry about all the heart issues on that side of my family. Cancer is all over the place in my other side of the family. So I have great genetic luck ?

When I joined my local doctors’ surgery (reregistering as an adult, after being away at university) I had to fill in a form with a section on family health issues, which meant messaging my mum as she knows all the details. It’s mainly blood pressure problems in my family. The problem with high blood pressure is that there are basically no symptoms, which is why my dad didn’t realise he had a problem until things got really serious/his kidneys were fucked. My mother also takes blood pressure pills. So that’s the main thing I’ll be concerned about as I get older. Having seen what high blood pressure can do you bet your ass I’ll be getting it checked regularly. 

On 3/28/2019 at 4:17 AM, mango_fandango said:

I also thought the collection of photos made them look like grade schoolers on a field trip, especially where they’re looking through the fence with Steve and Teri behind them. 

You can imagine Steve telling his kidults “you can run over and have a quick look, kids, but be careful and don’t get too close”, and his 20/30 something kids saying “Thankyou Daddy” and trotting off obediently.  

Teri will have a nervous breakdown if she has to change all her meal plans and menus and binders with inane notes about there being one too many serves of potato at Thanksgiving one year and reminders to adjust shopping accordingly. 

On 3/28/2019 at 1:18 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

I really do think that fundamentalism encourages and fosters/nurtures a lack of empathy, if not outright sociopathy. 

Yes! A study has shown that religious children are less altruistic than their counterparts. Not too surprising when you grow up believing that lots of people you know (such as beloved teachers or grandparents) will be tortured in hell forever, and you are supposed to feel OK with that because it's somehow "just". That belief alone makes it necessary to disassociate from your emotions. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/06/religious-children-less-altruistic-secular-kids-study

52 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Yes! A study has shown that religious children are less altruistic than their counterparts. Not too surprising when you grow up believing that lots of people you know (such as beloved teachers or grandparents) will be tortured in hell forever, and you are supposed to feel OK with that because it's somehow "just". That belief alone makes it necessary to disassociate from your emotions. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/06/religious-children-less-altruistic-secular-kids-study

I'm a little hesitant about one small study of Christian, Muslim, and secular children being an accurate indicator of anything. That's only two religions, out of all religions, and also there's no indication of what "kind" of Christian or Muslim we're talking about here. 

It's an interesting article, but there needs to be a heck of a lot more research before solid conclusions can be drawn.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:14 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

To take us off topic, I listen to (and love!) a podcast called "Behind the Bastards," which talks about terrible people who do terrible things. And, in the great tradition of snark, makes tons of fun of them. In any case, they did a podcast on Trump University, and it is WILD. Like, even worse than I could have imagined. I highly recommend it. 

Just catching up, but I love that podcast!! The episode(s?) on Ted Cruz had me wheezing. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

https://www.behindthebastards.com/podcasts/why-ted-cruz-sucks-a-comprehensive-biography.htm

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My dad was convinced he would die of a heart attack before he hit 50 because two of his mom’s brothers did. He made it past 50. Although he did have open heart surgery a decade ago. I do worry about all the heart issues on that side of my family. Cancer is all over the place in my other side of the family. So I have great genetic luck ?

I know what you mean- I'm in a similar boat regarding cancer. There's a very high chance that I'll have to deal with colon cancer and I've tried to radically adjust my diet to improve my chances. Still, I know that even if I kept myself on a perfect diet (which I don't), it still wouldn't eliminate the chances. The knowledge we can get from genetics is both enlightening and kind of scary.  

On 3/28/2019 at 10:58 AM, Bajovane said:

I thought Stevie wasn't looking very bright and chipper lately, so I'm not surprised to hear he had problems.  He fails to realize that heart problems can happen to anyone, no matter what their lifestyle or diet is like.  True, the more exercise you do, and the healthier the diet, your chances of having problems are reduced but never eliminated.

Watch him become even more controlling (as if that's even possible) of everyone's diet.  Take one bite too many and he will be reduced to sobbing and gnashing his teeth because the offender will be sent to hell!

??

I wonder if Nate ( who I otherwise like)  has had a twinge of conscience for writing that he & his family won’t support people’s bad lifestyle choices that produce illness, now that he sees his fitness-crazed, meatlessly burrito’ed patriarch suffering an illness. 

Meh, probably not. Nate has too much else on his mind. 

Coukd Nate’s descriptor be “Otherwise Likable”? Because other than a few truly stupid statements here & there, I do think of him and especially Melanie as pretty likable folk.  

1 hour ago, Lisafer said:

I'm a little hesitant about one small study of Christian, Muslim, and secular children being an accurate indicator of anything. That's only two religions, out of all religions, and also there's no indication of what "kind" of Christian or Muslim we're talking about here. 

It's an interesting article, but there needs to be a heck of a lot more research before solid conclusions can be drawn.

Sample size = 1, here. I’ve wrestled with the idea of good people damned to eternal suffering for refusing to adhere to a belief set for almost 60 years. If anything, I’ve seen the exact opposite, with faith-accepting people trying harder to be kind, etc., to non-believers. 

As I said, that’s just me. 

On 3/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, mango_fandango said:

I wholly agree with you but that aside their diet isn't nearly as good as they seem to think it is. Oh good Steve, you don't eat Big Macs. As far as I can tell you also don't regularly eat fruit or even a semi-decent selection of vegetables. Not to mention the salt, my god, the salt.

21 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

You just know there will be a "godly heart healthy" cookbook in the works in no time. I'm guessing it'll have maybe 15 recipes and scads of out of context bible verses and mediocre photos with weird Lightroom filters applied.

Just now, Dru said:

I wholly agree with you but that aside their diet isn't nearly as good as they seem to think it is. Oh good Steve, you don't eat Big Macs. As far as I can tell you also don't regularly eat fruit or even a semi-decent selection of vegetables. Not to mention the salt, my god, the salt.

You just know there will be a "godly heart healthy" cookbook in the works in no time. I'm guessing it'll have maybe 15 recipes and scads of out of context bible verses and mediocre photos with weird Lightroom filters applied.

I'm not holding my breath, as there still has been no post about how to cut lettuce with a pizza cutter.

On 3/28/2019 at 5:36 AM, johnhugh said:

Odd post on tits  to tell us Stevie is not well. 

Do they have a special hidden blog?  Boobs2,com

Too much info Stevie....

I guess you aren't subscribing to Steve's "Dad's corner,"  where the great one divulged his heart blockage and stent insertions.

Grampwych subscribed to it for shits and giggles.  Mostly, he shakes his head and mutters, "What the fuck?"

On 3/18/2019 at 11:58 PM, Elegant Mess said:

Was just coming over here to post this same thought.  Every photo of him was with kids.  Since he's been praised for taking initiative in the past, I wonder what he's doing about finding a future Mrs.?

He's being marketed a la Rodrigues daughters.  Good thing whoever takes the pix doesn't make him wear defrauding clothes or assume an impossibly wide stance.

1 hour ago, defraudingjezebel said:

I know what you mean- I'm in a similar boat regarding cancer. There's a very high chance that I'll have to deal with colon cancer and I've tried to radically adjust my diet to improve my chances. Still, I know that even if I kept myself on a perfect diet (which I don't), it still wouldn't eliminate the chances. The knowledge we can get from genetics is both enlightening and kind of scary.  

My plan is just to be on top of things when it comes to testing. Mammograms, colonoscopies, everything. I’m 36 so my doctor doesn’t yet recommend but in the next few years I will.

16 hours ago, freejugar said:

Teri Will cook the new diet so she Is the one in charge of coming up with it. Don't doctors give patients like this a diet?

Some might? Some will just make recommendations.

I know one guy who, after a heart attack was given this instruction by his doctor: "If it tastes good, don't eat it."

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived