IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 3: Rationality Is NOT in the Mix

Coconut Flan

9 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

It bears repeating: Spanky needs to work from home, doing whatever, with Lisa monitoring, supporting, etc.

I agree that'd be the best circumstances for him, right now. But ultimately Spanky's sobriety rests in his own hands. A determined alcoholic who hasn't admitted he has an issue can find all sorts of ways to drink, even working from home. He's gotta do the hard work to get into and stay in recovery, regardless. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

This is such a weird crossing of my worlds, as a baseball fan who follows some SB Nation sites.

It’s a sign of how hard up Spanky must be that he even considered this job. SB Nation Managers are contractors who earn very little, an issue Deadspin has also covered. According to this article, a job like Spanky’s might pay less than $600 a month.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

10 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I agree that'd be the best circumstances for him, right now. But ultimately Spanky's sobriety rests in his own hands. A determined alcoholic who hasn't admitted he has an issue can find all sorts of ways to drink, even working from home. He's gotta do the hard work to get into and stay in recovery, regardless. 

Absolutely true. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, Banyan said:

There's telemarketing. Pretty much anyone can get into that. Lots of convicted felons in telemarketing. No background checks, which is a huge advantage for anyone like Spanky with a lot of skeletons in their closet. They even hire crazy people. I had a friend many years ago whose dad sold light bulbs on the phone. He should have been in prison for the stuff he'd done, but the court declared him criminally insane so he only did a few years in a state mental institution. My friend often got together but I only visited her once at her home because she lived with her parents and her dad was scary-nuts. But could he ever sell light bulbs, and in that kind of job it didn't matter about his criminal past or even that he was insane. So telemarketing could be an excellent option for Spanky.

Was the light bulb job the one where the person trying to make the sell would start off by saying "I'm a disabled person and by buying our light bulbs you're helping me to support myself instead of supporting me through your taxes...Our light bulbs last for ten years...They cost more but they're worth it...If you like this, you'll also like our overpriced garbage bags.  How many can I sign you up for?"

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

And all joking aside, I really hope he stays sober for the sake of his kids. 

Edited by stylites
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

8 hours ago, Flossie said:

Was the light bulb job the one where the person trying to make the sell would start off by saying "I'm a disabled person and by buying our light bulbs you're helping me to support myself instead of supporting me through your taxes...Our light bulbs last for ten years...They cost more but they're worth it...If you like this, you'll also like our overpriced garbage bags.  How many can I sign you up for?"

Now that you mention it, yes! Must be the same company. I was only in her home once because she was too embarrassed having people over. Even if she had invited me back I wouldn't have gone. Her dad had those real crazy psycho eyes that say, "I'd really like to strangle someone today. Maybe it should be you." I did hear her dad working the phone with a script pretty much like you describe. I asked my friend about her dad's "disability" and that's when she told me about his mental health history. She said just about anyone with any sort of disability qualified to sell the light bulbs, which for him was good because it was impossible for him to hold down a regular job at a normal company.

With Spanky's criminal record and his mental health condition he'd easily qualify for the disabled light bulb company. And unlike writing for a baseball team you can't be turned away from telemarketing disability light bulbs just because you're the biggest hypocrite in town.

• Upvote 2

DUIs and professional ball players seem to go together like, well cocaine and professional ball players. Or at least that's the reputation many teams have acquired. The Pittsburgh Pirates are no exception.

Finally, while Vox can hire whoever they want, the site manager is assumed to be a Pirate fan and therefore one of us. I feel a representative of us should have to maintain at least some tiny standard of respectability. We have a drunk driving team president, a drunk driving 3rd baseman, and now a drunk driving site manager. How appropriate.

Many are speculating Sproul got his SB Nation job only because someone failed to do a background check; but I have a different take on it. Spanky may have got the job not because they didn't bother doing any due diligence but because they did the due diligence and didn't view the DUI, the Ashley Madison account, the tax fraud, etc. as being anything out of line with any other team member scandals. But where they clearly fell on their face is failing to take into account how SB Nation fans would react to Spanky's hundreds of bigoted self-righteous hypocritical tweets.

• Upvote 4

I'm gobsmacked that Spanky didn't set up a separate Twitter account for his new job, with a handle that didn't lead directly to all of the baggage and his RC/Lisa fb account.  I mean, WTAF?   He has zero bidness in a professional gig using social media, which is Captain Obvious level sh*t at this point. 

Wonder if we'll pick up some new fj members from this. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Banyan said:

Many are speculating Sproul got his SB Nation job only because someone failed to do a background check; but I have a different take on it. Spanky may have got the job not because they didn't bother doing any due diligence but because they did the due diligence and didn't view the DUI, the Ashley Madison account, the tax fraud, etc. as being anything out of line with any other team member scandals. But where they clearly fell on their face is failing to take into account how SB Nation fans would react to Spanky's hundreds of bigoted self-righteous hypocritical tweets.

I agree and to some extent concur. I don't see why a would-be cheater, heavy drinker, tax skeezer, religious hypocrite couldn't be a decent site admin for a venue that doesn't focus on moral issues. Being a homophobic bigot might even be ok if he could refrain from sharing those views on the site. I'm thinking his uber entitled "We'll have none of that..."  tone in answering questions may have been the bridge too far.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

I agree and to some extent concur. I don't see why a would-be cheater, heavy drinker, tax skeezer, religious hypocrite couldn't be a decent site admin for a venue that doesn't focus on moral issues. Being a homophobic bigot might even be ok if he could refrain from sharing those views on the site. I'm thinking his uber entitled "We'll have none of that..."  tone in answering questions may have been the bridge too far. 

I think if Spanky had been completely open about his past failings and not been such a self-righteous stick in the mud, he probably would have been welcomed with open arms.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

8 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Bus pass + job at walmart. Done.

Haven’t Walmart shoppers suffered enough?

15 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

I wonder if it shocked Precious to realize that his method of mansplaining, condescending, patriarchal arrogance doesn’t go over well outside his pseudo-intellectual bubble of origin.

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

On 2/26/2019 at 3:29 AM, MamaJunebug said:

I wonder if it shocked Precious to realize that his method of mansplaining, condescending, patriarchal arrogance doesn’t go over well outside his pseudo-intellectual bubble of origin.

Probably.  But he'll chalk it up to the depravity and general inferiority of everybody outside that bubble.  The problem can't possibly be with him, you know.

I'll agree with the above poster who noted that his writing skills are decent.  If he could find a gig where he has no reason to write about his opinion of other people, or really about anything to do with own damn self at all, he stands a chance at making a living as a writer.  But: he's also not automatically entitled to an interesting job in a field where he has some skill, and that's probably the really bitter pill here. 

Work retail, Junior.  Make a modest wage doing something you don't love doing, pay your debts, give your remaining minor children an ordinary life.  Maybe try to do some freelance writing around the edges.  It won't pay much, but you can think of it more like a hobby and get some personal satisfaction out it.  You are not a star.  You are not any more important than anybody else, except to your kids.  Do right by them and start NOW.

• Upvote 9

Must have been quite the shock to Spanky when $$$ was no longer pouring out of the the Ligonier spigot. He got used to a certain standard of living, money was always there and then suddenly, it wasn't.  He's also at an age where it is not easy to re-enter enter the work force.  He's lucky the wife has a house (for now) and a marketable skill.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Howl said:

He's lucky the wife has a house (for now) and a marketable skill. 

To embrace that he's first got to repudiate his patriarchal "wives and mothers should stay safe at home and out of the workforce where they're vulnerable to seduction by lotharios" shtick. Either that or he's just going to conveniently ignore everything he's taught about that and hope everyone else forgets too.

3 hours ago, Howl said:

He's also at an age where it is not easy to re-enter enter the work force. 

There's always Amway. Spanky has the gift of gab and an air of self-importance, making him a natural Amway hawker. In Amway success comes not from selling products but selling others to sign up and become your "downline." You get others to do all the heavy lifting. No work ethic required. That makes Spanky more than qualified. I've known a few very successful Amway people and from what I've seen of the Royal Ruby Crown Star Diamond-level types (they actually do have such titles/levels). But it's also very important to Amway's image that their Royal Ruby Crown Star Diamonds have the appearance of having a very happy marriage. The wife must stand dutifully by her husband's side on stage at Amway events smiling and nodding in agreement with her husband that Amway is the best thing that ever happened to them. Image is more important than reality, so it doesn't really matter if their marriage and home life is a disaster, just as long as everyone else thinks their home life is wonderful. Publicly swooning all over your mate on your Twitter and Facebook is especially helpful. It also adds to the image of marital bliss if you have a joint Facebook account. When you do Amway the successful ones do it as happy couples. Add a heavy dose of religion in the mix and you've got it made. So this makes Spanky and Lisa the perfect Amway candidates. Spanky's personality is so much like successful Amway dudes it's scary. They've got a very zealous religious-like fervor and never ending hype. They've created a virtual cult out of MLM. The start up costs to get into Amway are very low, so even Spanky can afford to sign up and get going on forming his downline. I think he'd be very successful in Amway. And fortunately for him they never do background checks. They even have a lot of disgraced and defrocked preachers in their ranks. So there's hope for Spanky after all!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

Y'all, Please refresh me on a couple of points: 

• When Spanky and Lisa first got together, didn't Lisa have a full-time job as a dietitian at a hospital, bringing in a paycheck?
  • When Spanky got his DUI, weren't they in the process of moving to Florida, meaning Lisa would have resigned from her job?  
  • And has Lisa now gone with the consulting route or home business or something?

If so, I'm wondering if this was to get in line with Spanky's "Wifey can't work outside the home" patriarchy deal or if she can't get her old job back.  It did sound as though she was homeschooling the boys. 

And they posted a John Piper sermon on Imprecatory Psalms.  Spanky thinks you're a liberal snowflake it you wimp out on imprecatory prayer.  

Also, looking at their facebook page, Lisa mentions that she's fostered over 20 children.  I don't mean to be cynical, but that's another potential revenue stream.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Howl said:

Y'all, Please refresh me on a couple of points: 

• When Spanky and Lisa first got together, didn't Lisa have a full-time job as a dietitian at a hospital, bringing in a paycheck?
  • When Spanky got his DUI, weren't they in the process of moving to Florida, meaning Lisa would have resigned from her job?  
  • And has Lisa now gone with the consulting route or home business or something?

If so, I'm wondering if this was to get in line with Spanky's "Wifey can't work outside the home" patriarchy deal or if she can't get her old job back. 

Lisa's (multiple) Linkedin page(s) change with the wind, but the only *recent* job I ever recall seeing was as a dietitian for Dr. David Ringel, her ex-husband who was up on drug charges not so long ago. I do recall seeing a hospital job somewhere, but I think it was at least 20 years ago, and it's gone now.

Her current Linkedin:

Untitled-1.thumb.png.76c9e8bc740925bb60618d34d47d3ade.png

I don't think she currently has the credentials to get a job at a hospital. She lists herself as a "Clinical Dietitian", but not a registered one.

I could have sworn that when she revamped her Linkedin a few weeks ago she claimed to have a BS from an actual university (I should have taken screenshots) but that's disappeared.  As of today, the page suggests that she's currently pursuing an online degree.

But hey, she was queen of her community college back in the '90s :pb_lol:

Untitled-2.png.32b8a5126c8fdf8c557ae45f64af37a9.png

Also, looking at their facebook page, Lisa mentions that she's fostered over 20 children.  I don't mean to be cynical, but that's another potential revenue stream.  

I wonder if they would be allowed after Spanky's DUI? Considering he was driving with minor children in the car when he was arrested.

• Thank You 1

I had a friend many years ago whose dad sold light bulbs on the phone.

How many Sprouls does it take to sell a light bulb?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

18 minutes ago, Soulhuntress said:

Somehow I think she may want to use another term besides registered dietician.

It seems she's not claiming to be a registered dietician, a professional trade that's licensed by their respective state. All Lisa's claiming to be is a clinical dietician which has no license at all. Basically she's a nutritionist.

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

Spanky needs to get his ass to Rehab ASAP and not some stupid Jebus Rehab but the real thing.  He’s a dangerous know it all drunk and that is liable to kill him.   

• Upvote 6

Maybe he could take a page out of Darby's book and sell some of his kilts?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 2

Google image search is surprisingly light on images of women holding Jolly Ranchers

• Haha 7

On 2/28/2019 at 7:11 PM, Banyan said:

It seems she's not claiming to be a registered dietician, a professional trade that's licensed by their respective state. All Lisa's claiming to be is a clinical dietician which has no license at all. Basically she's a nutritionist.

Yup, in the state of Indiana essentially anyone can call themselves a dietitian, as long as you don't claim credentials that you don't have.

From the state website:

Please note that certification for a dietitian in Indiana is not mandatory. It is a title protection for individuals who wish to use the title "Certified Dietitian" or the credentials "C.D.".  You may practice dietetics / nutrition therapy services without state certification but cannot call yourself a "Certified Dietitian" unless you are certified with this state. A dietitian registered by the commission on dietetic registration may use the title “registered dietitian” and the designation “RD” but may not profess to be a certified dietitian without being certified by the Board.

https://www.in.gov/pla/2412.htm

Lisa loves to attach the word "Clinical" to her self-title, but that's basically meaningless. Legally she's in the clear, but I doubt she's very employable at this point. Legit hospitals and clinics will likely want more than a "certified Trim Healthy Mama Lifestyle Coach" who's been more or less self-employed for the past 20 years. Even if she is the First Lady of the Tacky McMansion she got in her third divorce Sproul Home, and Miss Sinclair Community College 1992.

• Haha 1
  • Thank You 6

Their house looks like a huge money sink: mortgage, insurance, heating bill, property taxes, upkeep. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked and unlocked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic