IGNORED

Seewalds 37: Yes, Jessa is Pregnant

Jellybean

Side Note: I met Rupert Grint. Nice guy. Very shy. He was amazing in It's Only A Play. My friend and I saw it twice. Really good comedic timing.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Drala said:

Ben should give Derrick a some lessons in how to choose an age-appropriate book and animate the reading to capture the child's attention & imagination.

Some assumptions are being made here... like Derick even cares about reading appropriately to his boys.

But your sentiment is spot on

18 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Side Note: I met Rupert Grint. Nice guy. Very shy. He was amazing in It's Only A Play. My friend and I saw it twice. Really good comedic timing.

I met Daniel Radcliffe after seeing How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying. I told him he was amazing in it, and he looked up from the autograph he was signing, looked right at me, and said, “Thank you.” I think this means we’re married now.

But he sounded truly appreciative of the compliment. And he clearly appreciates and respects his fans. Which is amazing, especially since he became so famous, so fast at such a young age.

4 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I met Daniel Radcliffe after seeing How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying. I told him he was amazing in it, and he looked up from the autograph he was signing, looked right at me, and said, “Thank you.” I think this means we’re married now.

But he sounded truly appreciative of the compliment. And he clearly appreciates and respects his fans. Which is amazing, especially since he became so famous, so fast at such a young age.

I saw him in How to Succeed too. He was very good. That same thing happened to me and Rupert! We're both basically married to them. They just have to accept that. Then I proceeded to push my friend in my spot so that she could meet him too. He noticed ? 

I have yet to see or read Cursed Child, but I do take a little delight in the new casting changes because not only say I went to school with Harry Potter, but confuse people by saying I had a crush on his brother (not the Larry, Darryl, and Darryl guy, for the record.) ?

2 minutes ago, justodd said:

I have yet to see or read Cursed Child, but I do take a little delight in the new casting changes because not only say I went to school with Harry Potter, but confuse people by saying I had a crush on his brother (not the Larry, Darryl, and Darryl guy, for the record.) ?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE do yourself a favor. Never read that trash. Honestly, as a HP fan I'm offended that JK even allowed that to be put out. It reads like bad fan fiction.

2 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE do yourself a favor. Never read that trash. Honestly, as a HP fan I'm offended that JK even allowed that to be put out. It reads like bad fan fiction.

So did the epilogue, so it wasn't unprecedented 

15 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Obligatory "no name could be worse than Spurgeon" comment.

don't set them a challenge...

13 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Agreed, but 'alas, forlorn, sigh,' I am a sucker for anything 'Harry' branded. I am seeing the play (I tore to pieces), later this year in Melbourne. It's Harry related, it's a girl's weekend away, it's only playing in three places in the world, I did love Scorpius and I am a sucker..... 

33 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I haven’t read any of her stuff besides the seven main books and I don’t intend to. For me, canon ends with the epilogue. 

That said, I would have been very interested in reading books set during the Marauders’ time.  It would have been so cool getting to see those characters in their primes - getting to see Sirius before Azkaban killed his soul, seeing Lupin struggling to find his place as a young man and Werewolf, see James develop from a complete tool to the man that was spoken so highly of by so many, actually get to know Lily beyond “you have her eyes!” and “Always”, see Peter Pettigrew as he spiraled to the dark side, witness Snape as he began doing the right thing....

@HarryPotterFan Snape turns double agent before Lily is killed. He agrees to do “anything” that Dumbledore asks in return for Dumbledore agreeing to protect Lily. She doesn’t die until later, at which point he agrees to protect Harry when he eventually starts school. 

@bananabread Fair points. @singsingsing mentioned that Derick denied rumors of Jill no longer being able to get pregnant though. He could be a lying liar who lies, but I don’t think he’d flat out lie about something like that. I could be wrong though. 

11 minutes ago, VBOY9977 said:

Jessa answered why they weren’t in the pictures:

B37B4EF5-3F29-444C-B45D-93065A35627E.jpeg

Still a bit odd that the promo picture for the new season shows only the newly married couples or those with new babies when the show also focuses on Jana and Jessa and Ben, especially Jessa and Ben...

9 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

That's a very interesting theory about Snape and Neville.  I've always been a long standing supporter of the theory that the prophecy was actually about Neville (but it might be because I like cardigans...) and its just a huge misunderstanding (not dissimilar to the Life of Brian).  

It's a cool theory, but it doesn't check out. It had to be Harry.A key part of the prophecy is that Voldy will "mark him as his equal" aka Harry's Horcrux scar. That could have never happend to Neville and Neville would never have survived the killing curse. 

Why? Because of Snape. If Voldemort went to the Longbottoms, he would've kille Frank, killed Alice without giving her a chance, then killed poor baby Neville. Over and done. But Snape asked Voldemore to spare Lily. Normally, V's imo is to kill anyone in his way, but he decided to do Snape that favor since Snape told him about the prophecy. So he gives Lily a choice, Lily refuses, he gets frustrated, kills her, invokes the ancient magic protecting Harry and dooms himself. No Death Eater has a reason to ask for Alice to be spared, so she woudn't be, and so Neville could not fulfill that key part of the prophecy.

I don't have time to go back and find everyone who mentioned Snape, so sorry to whoever it was, but someone said that Snape didn't show any love for anyone or any signs he regretted it. I disagree. It's subtle, because the books are from HP's pov and he hates Snape, but there are some.

Because I'm a nerd here they are: 

Snape likes Dumbledore. He always speaks of him respectfully, is clearly shaken when he dies/is dying, confides in him, and trusts him. In turn, Dumbledore treats him as one of his closest confidants (for Dumbles that is--the man was secretive), respected him back, and conversed with him. 

Snape kind of likes McG. They seem to have a bit of a rivalry going on, but it always seemed good natured and respectful to me, until Snape kills Dumbledore that is. 

Snape genuinely likes the Malfoys, especially Narcissa. 

In Book 2, after Ginny is taken to the Chamber of Secrets, there's a scene where Harry and Ron hide in the staff room as the teachers hear the news. First the speaker (forget who) says that a student was taken. Snape grips the chair and asks "who?" That implies that  he is concerned for the students' welfare. When Lockhart shows up, Snape is the first (or one of, it's been a while since I read CoS) to goad Lockhart into going to the chamber to find her. He seems pretty united with the other teachers there.

Snape's weak spot seems to be crying women. When Narcissa Malfoy cries for Draco's life, he pointedly looks away, then helps. When Charity Burbage begs him to save her, he also pointedly looks away. It's like he can't bear to listen to their anguish.

Dumbledore says to him something along the lines of "how many innocent people have you watched die?" and Snape replies coolly, "Lately only those I could not save." Implies he does care about saving people when he can. 

Snape snaps at the portrait of Phineas Black not to call Hermione a mudblood. So, when he's not doing his Death Eater act, he doesn't want to hear that word and isn't afraid to yell at people for it. Implies that he learned his lesson about using that slur. 

I mean, hate Snape as much as you want. Have a field day, there's plenty of reasons to. It's just not entirely accurate to say he didn't care about anyone or anything but Lily, or that he didn't have any morals. I think of it like this: Lily's memory might be guiding him to do good, but that's because she was a good person. He's taking on some of her values and morals, because he loves/respects her, and over time they've become his own. That's how humans work, anyway; he influence each other, for better or worse. 

Man, so bitter im late to the game of knowing Jessa is pregnant! Of course hindsight bias, but I have been having suspicions lately with the slowdown of instagram posts and starkly only baby photos of the kids.  I am thankful for the space between them, and that duggarland is not so dry anymore! (lol)

Side note- didnt even get a chance to go on the computer last night to find out the news because I found out that one of my middle school students at work has a bad case of freaking head lice, and guess who has it? ME. 23 years old and never gotten the nasty suckers (literally) until now. I feel so gross and I know that's just a stigma but gah. the joy of being a teacher!

@StraightOuttaArkansas, another fan of Harry Potter and the Sacred Texts here. I started listening to it in the aftermath of leaving the church we'd attended for over a decade and coming to terms with the evangelical shifts around to 2016 presidential election. Long story, but it was quite therapeutic.

12 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

One thing that makes me like Snape: ??

Alan-Rickman-900x675.jpg

I was dragged over to a friend's house to see the first three Harry Potter movies very much against my will - I liked the books and don't generally enjoy movie adaptstions, and I was worried that the movies would wreck the story for me. I knew nothing about the movies, and they were a slog to watch - except for Snape... I spent the first two films fantasising about pushing Snape down onto a potions table/against a dungeon wall etc. and having my way with him, and I could not figure out what was wrong with me - why was I lusting after a greasy looking man who was doing a darn good impression of a psychopath?? #sickkitti - It wasn't until part way through the third dvd that I bothered to read the credits and saw that it was Alan Rickman playing Snape. Everything became clear and I felt a whole lot better about my dirty little mind after I came to that realization! Alan Rickman was an amazing actor and is my personal brand of catnip. 

I know Snape was an absolute twit to Harry - and a whole lot of other people. Because of all the others he rode roughshod over, I always thought his behaviour was less about James/Lily and more about maintaining his cover by staying in character so that he would be a credible death eater and could function effectively as a spy when required. I doubt the Malfoys etc. would have been impressed with someone in their social group being accepting of 'mud bloods' and behaving like a human being.

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Agreed. Ugh that monstrosity made me so angry. That play is the fourth unforgivable curse.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I haven’t read any of her stuff besides the seven main books and I don’t intend to. For me, canon ends with the epilogue. 

That said, I would have been very interested in reading books set during the Marauders’ time.  It would have been so cool getting to see those characters in their primes - getting to see Sirius before Azkaban killed his soul, seeing Lupin struggling to find his place as a young man and Werewolf, see James develop from a complete tool to the man that was spoken so highly of by so many, actually get to know Lily beyond “you have her eyes!” and “Always”, see Peter Pettigrew as he spiraled to the dark side, witness Snape as he began doing the right thing....

@HarryPotterFan Snape turns double agent before Lily is killed. He agrees to do “anything” that Dumbledore asks in return for Dumbledore agreeing to protect Lily. She doesn’t die until later, at which point he agrees to protect Harry when he eventually starts school. 

I agree seeing the Mauraders in their prime would have been amazing. Highly preferable to a pile of garbage that tries to destroy the entire series.

I just feel like Snape turns because he knows he handed Lily her death warrant, not because he realized Nazis are bad.  But @BernRul does make good points about the ways he cares and unlearning some of that death eater hate. I like the idea that he tried adopt Lily’s values in her death, but he had so much hurt and resentment in him that it doesn’t easily come through.

4 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I just feel like Snape turns because he knows he handed Lily her death warrant, not because he realized Nazis are bad.  But @BernRul does make good points about the ways he cares and unlearning some of that death eater hate. I like the idea that he tried adopt Lily’s values in her death, but he had so much hurt and resentment in him that it doesn’t easily come through.

Another thing to consider is that it's ten years from Lily's death to Harry's first year at Hogwarts. When he initially spies for Dumbledore, it almost certainly is motivated by his feelings for Lily. But ten years is a long time, and people change a lot. So he can both have initially joined because of his guilt over/fear for Lily, but over time become a more moral person. Plus, not a lot happens over those ten years except teaching; over that time, he probably connected more with Dumbledore and other teachers, and became part of the community (he's still sarcastic and dour, but like I alluded to before, he always struck me as being firmly part of/one of the staff). 

7 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm still sad he's gone, losing him and Bowie at the same time was brutal. Both such talented men. 

Are you okay with Bowie sleeping with 15 year old girls?

26 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

Alan Rickman was an amazing actor and is my personal brand of catnip. 

Ohhhhhh yeah. Me too. Him and Patrick Stewart. But Alan will always be #1. ❤️

2 hours ago, BernRul said:

It's a cool theory, but it doesn't check out. It had to be Harry.A key part of the prophecy is that Voldy will "mark him as his equal" aka Harry's Horcrux scar. That could have never happend to Neville and Neville would never have survived the killing curse. 

Why? Because of Snape. If Voldemort went to the Longbottoms, he would've kille Frank, killed Alice without giving her a chance, then killed poor baby Neville. Over and done. But Snape asked Voldemore to spare Lily. Normally, V's imo is to kill anyone in his way, but he decided to do Snape that favor since Snape told him about the prophecy. So he gives Lily a choice, Lily refuses, he gets frustrated, kills her, invokes the ancient magic protecting Harry and dooms himself. No Death Eater has a reason to ask for Alice to be spared, so she woudn't be, and so Neville could not fulfill that key part of the prophecy.

I don't have time to go back and find everyone who mentioned Snape, so sorry to whoever it was, but someone said that Snape didn't show any love for anyone or any signs he regretted it. I disagree. It's subtle, because the books are from HP's pov and he hates Snape, but there are some.

Because I'm a nerd here they are: 

Snape likes Dumbledore. He always speaks of him respectfully, is clearly shaken when he dies/is dying, confides in him, and trusts him. In turn, Dumbledore treats him as one of his closest confidants (for Dumbles that is--the man was secretive), respected him back, and conversed with him. 

Snape kind of likes McG. They seem to have a bit of a rivalry going on, but it always seemed good natured and respectful to me, until Snape kills Dumbledore that is. 

Snape genuinely likes the Malfoys, especially Narcissa. 

In Book 2, after Ginny is taken to the Chamber of Secrets, there's a scene where Harry and Ron hide in the staff room as the teachers hear the news. First the speaker (forget who) says that a student was taken. Snape grips the chair and asks "who?" That implies that  he is concerned for the students' welfare. When Lockhart shows up, Snape is the first (or one of, it's been a while since I read CoS) to goad Lockhart into going to the chamber to find her. He seems pretty united with the other teachers there.

Snape's weak spot seems to be crying women. When Narcissa Malfoy cries for Draco's life, he pointedly looks away, then helps. When Charity Burbage begs him to save her, he also pointedly looks away. It's like he can't bear to listen to their anguish.

Dumbledore says to him something along the lines of "how many innocent people have you watched die?" and Snape replies coolly, "Lately only those I could not save." Implies he does care about saving people when he can. 

Snape snaps at the portrait of Phineas Black not to call Hermione a mudblood. So, when he's not doing his Death Eater act, he doesn't want to hear that word and isn't afraid to yell at people for it. Implies that he learned his lesson about using that slur. 

I mean, hate Snape as much as you want. Have a field day, there's plenty of reasons to. It's just not entirely accurate to say he didn't care about anyone or anything but Lily, or that he didn't have any morals. I think of it like this: Lily's memory might be guiding him to do good, but that's because she was a good person. He's taking on some of her values and morals, because he loves/respects her, and over time they've become his own. That's how humans work, anyway; he influence each other, for better or worse. 

It was McGonagall who announces a student was taken in Book 2. She’s acting Headmistress at that point because Lucius threatened the other Governors of the school into suspending Dumbledore.

And you’re right that Snape was the first one to goad Lockhart. Pretty much the second he turned up (late, of course) in the Staff Room. I consider it one of my favorite Snape moments because I dislike Lockhart so much. 

9 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

I was dragged over to a friend's house to see the first three Harry Potter movies very much against my will - I liked the books and don't generally enjoy movie adaptstions, and I was worried that the movies would wreck the story for me. I knew nothing about the movies, and they were a slog to watch - except for Snape... I spent the first two films fantasising about pushing Snape down onto a potions table/against a dungeon wall etc. and having my way with him, and I could not figure out what was wrong with me - why was I lusting after a greasy looking man who was doing a darn good impression of a psychopath?? #sickkitti - It wasn't until part way through the third dvd that I bothered to read the credits and saw that it was Alan Rickman playing Snape. Everything became clear and I felt a whole lot better about my dirty little mind after I came to that realization! Alan Rickman was an amazing actor and is my personal brand of catnip. 

I know Snape was an absolute twit to Harry - and a whole lot of other people. Because of all the others he rode roughshod over, I always thought his behaviour was less about James/Lily and more about maintaining his cover by staying in character so that he would be a credible death eater and could function effectively as a spy when required. I doubt the Malfoys etc. would have been impressed with someone in their social group being accepting of 'mud bloods' and behaving like a human being.

I think that’s a pretty valid point in your second paragraph.  Snape has no way of knowing for sure that Voldemort would return, but he trusted Dumbledore and Dumbledore was sure it would happen eventually. I have no doubt he’d have been pretty miserable and mean regardless, but a small part of that could have been due to maintaining his cover. 

3 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Agreed. Ugh that monstrosity made me so angry. That play is the fourth unforgivable curse.

I agree seeing the Mauraders in their prime would have been amazing. Highly preferable to a pile of garbage that tries to destroy the entire series.

Maybe it took a threat of that magnitude to make him finally realize exactly what he had signed up for? It’s shitty when it takes being personally affected for someone to wisen up, but it does happen and it’s interesting to see that reflected in a few HP characters. For instance, Draco Malfoy and Regulus Black. Both characters are described as having similar personalities (spoiled, bigoted, arrogant), yet once they’re personally impacted by what’s happening they wind up changing their tune too. Draco fails to kill Dumbledore and fails to correctly identify Harry after he’s caught by Snatchers. Regulus sacrifices his own life in order to steal a Horcryx after his House Elf returns in terrible condition after a secret mission with Voldemort. I think having characters like that - one’s who do what’s right when forced to or when they’re impacted themselves - helps to balance out the characters who lean towards doing good naturally and helps to create a more realistic world for the story to take place in. 

12 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Ohhhhhh yeah. Me too. Him and Patrick Stewart. But Alan will always be #1. ❤️

Love Actually has been painful to watch without Alan Rickman. It's my annual Christmas tradition but the last 2 years were just sad.

5 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Love Actually has been painful to watch without Alan Rickman. It's my annual Christmas tradition but the last 2 years were just sad.

I cry frequently throughout the movie. At the end I am a hot mess. Alan Rickman's passing makes it all the more emotional. But I still do it, every Thanksgiving night after all our guests have left. 

17 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

It was McGonagall who announces a student was taken in Book 2. She’s acting Headmistress at that point because Lucius threatened the other Governors of the school into suspending Dumbledore.

And you’re right that Snape was the first one to goad Lockhart. Pretty much the second he turned up (late, of course) in the Staff Room. I consider it one of my favorite Snape moments because I dislike Lockhart so much. 

I thought it was McGonagall! I wasn't 100% sure because I didn't remember the order of who goaded Lockhart first (was leaning to Snape, but thought McG was possible). 

It's one of my favorite Snape moments too. In fact, that moment in the staff room plus Snape showing Fudge his Dark Mark in book 4 where the two moments that had me convinced that Snape was still loyal to Dumbledore. Because they're both moments where there's no reason for him to put on an act/and actually felt  weirdly genuine. 

Personally, I would not want to read a Marauders series. While there would be fun bits and pieces along the way that would be interesting, we already know how it would end: James and Lily would be dead, Sirius would be in Azkaban, Peter would be a traitor and considered dead, and Remus would be all alone. 

I like that the Fantastic Beast series is the wizarding world but is more loosely connected to Harry Potter. I think that any future series taking place in the wizarding world would be better off with some distance between it and Harry Potter. Personally, I would really like to see a series on the founders of Hogwarts. 

@Caskett4ever Good point! We know far less about the founders, so that would be interesting. I like Fantstic Beasts but the latest one screwed with the timeline and ages of characters, which I didn’t like.

Also...I am morally against book burning and think book burning is an awful tragedy and has been used for the worst kinds of censorship. And that so much loss of knowledge has come from book burnings, both intentional and accidental. Cursed Child makes me rethink this hard stance. There, I said it.

That said I did see the play. If you ignore the plot and writing it’s fantastic. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived