IGNORED

Seewalds 37: Yes, Jessa is Pregnant

Jellybean

Among others, Courtney Rogers commented on Jessa's Instagram post that she's also due in late spring. The fundie world just got smaller.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Tangentially related: I also recently saw the first fantastic beasts movie, and I'm really bothered by the name MACUSA. That doesn't sound like a US governing body to me. Something like MACOTUS might make sense (like POTUS or SCOTUS), or my friend suggested the North American Federation of Wizards since it apparently predates the US (which makes the name make even less sense).

If we're going by names of other US government departments (so analogous to the Ministry of Magic):

United States Department of Magic

Federal Bureau of Prestidigitation 

Federal Magic Administration

Bureau of Magic

9 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Not that I know of. I don't remember her crying or seeming upset that Jessa was pregnant before her last time either, but I could be forgetting. I haven't really heard her talk about her plans or wishes for more babies since Sam was born.

IMO there won't be any Dillard babies for a while. Dwreck is studying, they can't have very much spare cash, are living in a small apartment, Jill doesn't have easy births also Dwreck doesn't like having to pay any thing for their  babies to be born in hospital/any Nicu stays etc. 

They may prove me wrong.

I think Jill will be extremely jealous if Jessa has a girl and will probably have a meltdown at that point... she’s already starting to become a bit fundie lit, and I think the reason why she and Derick quit was so she could no be a brand for their crazier beliefs. 

I feel bad for Jill.

God damn it, I put too much faith in Josiah and Lauren, and too little faith in Jessa and Ben.

If it's a boy, maybe they would consider Martin Luther even though he was originally a Damn Dirty Catholic; or, as someone else suggested, William Graham to honor Billy Graham (who frankly doesn't deserve it). For a girl, Evangeline or Aimee to go along with their theologian theme.

Obligatory "no name could be worse than Spurgeon" comment.

I don't think there's any competition between Jessa and Jill.  If there was before, I'd say Jessa won it hands down, game over.  Jessa and Ben, IMO, present an appealing public image and have proven themselves to be adaptable while Jill and Derick seem to have accomplished the opposite.  I can't imagine Jill ever being particularly interesting or Derick not being annoying.  And they're off the show.

Continuing the Harry Potter thread drift...

Let’s be honest, when it comes to names, poor Albus Severus certainly drew the short end of the stick.

James Sirius is a pretty cool name and Lily Luna is a bit too much of a mouthful (too many L’s) IMO but still okay.

Most importantly, both James and Lily are common names, and even if Harry mainly associates them with his parents, most people won’t.

Albus Severus however, is pretty awful. Mainly because the people who had those names are people the wizarding world probably has very strong opinions about, both good and bad. It’s like naming your child Donald or Barack in today’s day and age. Of course you can do it, but people are going to have a lot of preconceptions about you and your child from the moment they hear their name. Even if you don’t mind, are you sure your kid at age thirteen won’t? 

I think the best would’ve been to give the kids Harry’s parents’ names as middle names (plus Sirius or maybe Fred) and then “their own” first names.

Other than Luna perhaps, it doesn’t appear that Ginny had any input in her children’s names. Arthur Remus Potter would have worked for the second boy.  Albus was kind but manipulative towards Harry and Severus was cruel to Harry and others for the seven years he knew him. Ultimately saving Harry helps Snapes redemption but cannot erase how he treated the boy and other young kids like Neville. I imagine George named a son Fred. 

Names for little Seewald? I don’t know any religious figures. Maybe Calvin Stanley or Martha Mary.

7 minutes ago, LittleOwl said:

For a second then I thought that was going to be the name... hahah 

Yeah, me top! ?? i was like, wtf?!!! ?

So she got pregnant after Felicity was born. She said she had baby fever when she met her and wanted a new baby. Maybe it's an evidence that they are using BC and conceived #3 the moment they chase, not the moment God decided. Soooo we can hope there won't be 19 little Seewalds!

7 hours ago, neurogirl said:

I love Luna! She's the one who helped Harry through when he could see the thestrals, and she brings him down to earth by showing him that he's not the only one who lost a parent. Luna is tolerance and spunk and creativity and kindness wrapped up in a package of sunshine. Also in the movie I was hoping Luna and Harry got together- way more chemistry. This has been your Luna defense.

I love Luna too, to the point that I also think Luna would've been a better girlfriend than Ginny. (Hi! I didnt know there was anyone else out there).  But why does Luna get honored when Hermione, Ron, and Neville don't? It's not like she died. She was a great friend, but Harry and Ginny weren't closer to her than any one else.

Loving the Harry Potter thread drift. Those books are a huge part of our family. I "grew up" with Harry. My older son has been reading (and rereading and rereading) those books for the longest time. He is getting his own collection year by year starting on his 11th birthday (we bought it at Kings Cross just for that and every year we pick one quote that think is life advice and write it in the front of the book for that year). Also for all the people hoping for kids named after characters, we are beginning the process to have my husband adopt my older son (he is 14) and we are changing his name (with his permission and final veto decision of course). I wanted to lengthen his first name to something proper instead of the nickname sounding short version I named him when I was 17. I wanted my husband to really get to have something in the name too, so as my son HATES his middle name, we are changing that completely and my husband wants to name him after Dumbledore. Percival to be exact. My son loves it and husband finds it meaningful. So there you go, there is at least one teen running around in the world soon to be bearing a Potterhead name.

Also does any listen to the "Harry Potter and the Sacred Text" podcast? I only just found it, but I am actually enjoying the idea and the fresh look at books I have read so many times. I also loved my English classes in high school so it is kind of neat to use some of those skills I learned way back then on a text I actually like.

25 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

So she got pregnant after Felicity was born. She said she had baby fever when she met her and wanted a new baby. Maybe it's an evidence that they are using BC and conceived #3 the moment they chase, not the moment God decided. Soooo we can hope there won't be 19 little Seewalds!

Or they had a miscarriage and that's why they announced so late.

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

If we're going by names of other US government departments (so analogous to the Ministry of Magic):

United States Department of Magic

Federal Bureau of Prestidigitation 

Federal Magic Administration

Bureau of Magic

I love Jo, but I don't think she really gets that much about America(which makes sense, it's a foreign country). The law that muggles can't marry wizards makes more sense in a place like England, where the wizarding community has been established for a thousand years, than America, where all of the non native wizards are immigrants with no ties. I get that it's meant to represent America's Jim Crow laws, but it just doesn't make sense. Most of American history was a frontier, where you realistically can't isolate yourself, or an up and coming city, where again, how can you isolate yourself when half your neighbors are muggles? 

Also isn't it impled that there is one school for all of America? Realistically it would have at least 5. 

I still think it's more likely they were doing NFP than actual birth control. I'm sure their parents scared them off that for life.

I'm betting Joken are next. 

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

I love Luna too, to the point that I also think Luna would've been a better girlfriend than Ginny. (Hi! I didnt know there was anyone else out there).  But why does Luna get honored when Hermione, Ron, and Neville don't? It's not like she died. She was a great friend, but Harry and Ginny weren't closer to her than any one else.

Hermione has children of her own, so that may be why they didn’t use part of her name. I don’t know what Rose or Hugo’s middle names are, but it’s possible they used their own (Jean and Bilius.) As for Ron and Neville, Ron has kids with Hermione and they ran out of kids to name after people? 

4 hours ago, BookwormExtraordinaire said:

Continuing the Harry Potter thread drift...

Let’s be honest, when it comes to names, poor Albus Severus certainly drew the short end of the stick.

James Sirius is a pretty cool name and Lily Luna is a bit too much of a mouthful (too many L’s) IMO but still okay.

Most importantly, both James and Lily are common names, and even if Harry mainly associates them with his parents, most people won’t.

Albus Severus however, is pretty awful. Mainly because the people who had those names are people the wizarding world probably has very strong opinions about, both good and bad. It’s like naming your child Donald or Barack in today’s day and age. Of course you can do it, but people are going to have a lot of preconceptions about you and your child from the moment they hear their name. Even if you don’t mind, are you sure your kid at age thirteen won’t? 

I think the best would’ve been to give the kids Harry’s parents’ names as middle names (plus Sirius or maybe Fred) and then “their own” first names.

They might be common names, but definitely not when they’ll be growing up in the magical community and they’re paired with Potter. We see in the books (specifically in Book Four) that magical people around the world know Harry’s name and story, so I’d expect they’d know his parents’ names too. 

3 hours ago, Markie said:

Other than Luna perhaps, it doesn’t appear that Ginny had any input in her children’s names. Arthur Remus Potter would have worked for the second boy.  Albus was kind but manipulative towards Harry and Severus was cruel to Harry and others for the seven years he knew him. Ultimately saving Harry helps Snapes redemption but cannot erase how he treated the boy and other young kids like Neville. I imagine George named a son Fred. 

Names for little Seewald? I don’t know any religious figures. Maybe Calvin Stanley or Martha Mary.

Rowling actually released a Weasley family tree several years ago. George married Angelina Johnson and had two children - Roxanne and Fred:

A8C63B79-E8D8-4094-BE2F-BDFB2FAB20DA.thumb.png.832f819b67fbf4e0e7b53b3e8b137bec.png

Bill and Fleur have three kids with French names to honor Fleur (Victoire, Dominique, and Louis.) Charlie remains unmarried and kid free, I’m guessing because dragons aren’t the best wingmen or babysitters. Percy married a woman named Audrey and has two daughters (Molly and Lucy.) Ron and Hermione have Rose and Hugo*, while Harry and Ginny have the aforementioned three kids. 

*The website I checked have Rose and Hugo’s last names listed as Granger-Weasley. If Rowling did hyphenate their names then I think that’s pretty appropriate since Hermione was always a bit ahead of her time on social issues. I could see her wanting to keep her name and pass it to her kids somehow.

An interesting thing about Snape is that frequently when he is being the most horrid to Harry, Harry is looking down (at his paper/cauldron/etc) or away from Snape - so then he is 100% James in appearance. When Snape is able to see Lilly's eyes in Harry, then Snape isn't as much of a jerk. It's clear that the scars run deep in Snape, not that it excuses what he did.

I've read a theory that Snape was also such an ass to Neville because of the prophecy - Neville's birthday is only a day before Harry's, and the prophecy could have applied to him/his parents also. But Voldemort chose Harry/the Potters, so Snape resents Neville for not being the victim and therefore causing Lily to die instead. 

6 hours ago, Anna Bolinas said:

God damn it, I put too much faith in Josiah and Lauren, and too little faith in Jessa and Ben.

If it's a boy, maybe they would consider Martin Luther even though he was originally a Damn Dirty Catholic; or, as someone else suggested, William Graham to honor Billy Graham (who frankly doesn't deserve it). For a girl, Evangeline or Aimee to go along with their theologian theme.

Obligatory "no name could be worse than Spurgeon" comment.

I submit Ulrich Zwingli.

That's a very interesting theory about Snape and Neville.  I've always been a long standing supporter of the theory that the prophecy was actually about Neville (but it might be because I like cardigans...) and its just a huge misunderstanding (not dissimilar to the Life of Brian).  

1 minute ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I submit Ulrich Zwingli.

And if the kid rebels against fundydom he can pretend he's named after the Metallica drummer rather than a theologian.

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Maybe they wear condoms or pull out. Maybe they do natural family planning. I can't see any duggar kid with 20 kids

Please, someone troll the Seewalds into believing the existence of the great 19th century anti-Catholic theologian William Alexander Dumbledore (1817-1898)

I'd so love a Dumbledore Seewald!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived