IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

Derick proves yet again how much of a jerk he can be. Correction...how much of a jerk he usually is. 

I felt sorry for Jill here to be honest. 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, this was one of the few moments that I genuinely felt sorry for Jill. This and the shower rack incident make it look like she actually needs professional help to figure out the mess her life is. It wasn't really about the shower rack she was crying about, and it probably wasn't that mouse alone that made her so distressed, but the whole shit show at their home. As for Derick... it's hard to find the right words when someone constantly pulls a new low. Let's just say that he is an asshole of massive size. Hearing him trying to get words out of distressed Jill and being such an annoying wise ass made me genuinely want to hit his idiotic face and make his teeth look even worse.

And yes, I'm an extremely bad armchair psychologist ?

Derick is an asshole for doing that to his wife, Jill was obviously distressed and frightened of the mouse and he mocks her and puts it online. 

We live next to waste ground that used to have garages for cars that got pulled down over 30 years ago. The local council has left it to go to ruin and it has been used as a dumping ground and that has meant mice have been in our house. Mice have been known to get into houses, including ours. 

Didn’t Jill also use the hand symbol of ‘stop’ several times to get him to stop? Or what was the crossed hands for? 

6 hours ago, TeaGrannie said:

I felt so bad for Jill. He is such a jerk. I’d like to see him try to deal with me for a day....he’d be kissing the ground she walks on in less than an hour. 

If he were with me, he’d be naked and hungry.    Ugh! What an terrible image.  

The way he talks to her....grrrrr. He is an abusive prick. I dated a guy like that for four years in highschool and college. Incidentally,  he is a lawyer now. Dewank is always wanting to make himself look good, at the expense of making Jill look stupid. He is a dick. Wow.

It's too bad no one in Jill's family would call out her husband's shitty behavior either. Though maybe Baaaaaaaaaaaabe will have another passive aggressive sermon about it. 

I’ve been thinking about Jill’s reaction to this and the shower rack incident. We know she was abused as a child, and that’s associated with a heightened startle response, as is having PTSD. Not diagnosing, mind you, and she could just be a person who reacts that way to things naturally, of course. 

I hesitated to tell my mouse story, but here goes. I used to live out in the country with my now ex-husband. We got mice and my husband volunteered to set traps and take care of said traps. Because he set them, I didn’t know where they all were (some were in obvious spots, like in kitchen cabinets, and some were other places).  A couple of months later, I was cleaning and found a decomposing  mouse in a trap behind the sofa. I have no idea how it didn’t stink the place up, but holy shit it was more disgusting than you can imagine. That was actually one of my “last straws” oddly enough—that he couldn’t be bothered to check the daggone traps like he said he would and left me with a situation 20 times worse than just taking care of a recently deceased mouse. 

Oh man, I haven't really followed the Dillards recently and assumed Derick was a homophobe who treated his wife and kids okay. Yikes yikes yikes. I really hope Jill is okay. She deserves someone nice who'll comfort her through mouse trauma.

I went into the video kind of expecting it to be the usual scenario where FJ criticizes one or both of them for something kind of stupid. I’ll start by apologizing for that assumption because I don’t think the criticism is totally unwarranted this time. My thoughts:

1. I agree with those who think Jill was playing up the reaction a bit. I do think she was being pretty genuine though and I don’t fault her for that. A lot of people get freaked out about mice, including my husband. We’ve had to check the garage and basement once or twice because we’ve seen possible evidence of them and each time I’ve led the way because he gets kind of worked up about it. Knowing the type of damage they can do and the disease they can spread makes me very sympathetic to both my husband and Jill.  

2. That said, Derick is a massive douchebag for filming Jill like that. I’ve filmed my husband without telling him before, but never for a Live video and never in a moment that he was scared or upset (it’s always when he’s playing with our daughter or dog.) If your partner/spouse is freaked out by something and your first thought is to film them without permission then that’s a dick move. 

3. And I shut it off before we got to this part, but GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND DO SOME HOUSEWORK YOURSELF YOU GIANT WANKER! 

(Side note: Did I use “wanker” right? I’m hoping I did. It’s kind of a fun word to say.) 

30 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It's too bad no one in Jill's family would call out her husband's shitty behavior either. Though maybe Baaaaaaaaaaaabe will have another passive aggressive sermon about it. 

You know what, I won’t even criticize Pastor Baaaaaaaaaaaabe if he does this now because it was just such a dick move by Derick. 

Well Read Baaaaabe is probably the only option. I think Jill alienated her non-buddy siblings too much for any of them to ever come to her defense. 

So am I understanding correctly that he filmed her without her knowledge live on her own account? Why not his own account? If he knew he needs to lay low on social media for his professional future and needs to keep a good image, that would mean he knew this behavior is inappropriate if he didn't think he could film this on his own account...

As much as I dislike him and wouldn't want him to have the satisfaction of becoming a lawyer, I wish for his success for Jill and the children's sake. His family has been dragged all over the place because of him, and if he does well as a lawyer his family could have financial security and stability. 

Yeah, I am going to be the minority here. Jill has shoved cameras in Israel’s face dozens of times coaxing him for the camera, to relate a story or post a picture. Remember the video last summer when Israel was absolutely terrified of riding in the boat, he was sobbing. And Jill was filming him for YouTube? 

We have seen so many dubious pics and videos with unexplained contexts, that have been fodder for discussions here, filming kids at 1 AM to crying babies.

If you exploit your kids to ham it up for the camera, well don’t be surprised when your husband does the same.  ??‍♀️

IMHO, it was wrong for Derick to do it and wrong for Jill to do it. I think it’s part of a larger societal trend that people in general think it’s totally okay to secretly film people during private or emotional moments or embarrassing moments and put that video up on the Internet. I’ve seen this among my social media circle a disturbing amount. There are some people who think nothing of it putting very embarrassing and damaging stories about their kids on social media as though the children won’t someday be able to google their own name and read that. The way that private moments have turned into moments for public consumption is deeply disturbing. 

This video makes me completely livid, Jill is clearly freaked out and doesn't even understand that he's filming it live on instagram. Right before he tells her that they're live she covers her face with her hands and goes completely quiet; this is the exact same thing I do when I am about to start crying and trying not to. When Derick tells her they're live she has to put on a sunny disposition and laugh it off, but to me it looks like she's about to break down at any second, and this absolute piece of shit who she married belittles her, taunts her and is not only filming everything BUT BROADCASTING IT LIVE WITHOUT TELLING HER.

If we were to list all the horrible things JimBob has done throughout the years we wouldn't be finished until late next year, but the one thing I'll give him credit for is that he very clearly loves Michelle and really thinks he scored the jackpot marrying her, and would never treat her the way Derick treats Jill in this video.

Fuck you Derick Dillard and the fuck the sanctimonious grifting missionary horse you rode in on. :angry-cussingblack:

30 minutes ago, fundiesfordays said:

As much as I dislike him and wouldn't want him to have the satisfaction of becoming a lawyer, I wish for his success for Jill and the children's sake. His family has been dragged all over the place because of him, and if he does well as a lawyer his family could have financial security and stability. 

I don't.  He's already controlling and disrespectful.  Money will only increase the amount of control he has over Jill and his children. 

@acheronbeach  That's a good point and very true. I guess the way I see it, she is trapped in that marriage anyway. If Anna wouldn't leave she won't leave. As Jill's headship, he will control her regardless. If he is a successful lawyer, at least she won't have to worry about where the next meal is coming from. Plus, he will be working long hours and she wouldn't necessarily have to be around him all that much.

I don't know why I am being so optimistic. It's quite out of character for me.

I don't think I'm down with the "it's okay for Derrick to be abusive to Jill, because she's abusive to the kids" idea.

SMH at that one.

35 minutes ago, Fjrocks said:

Yeah, I am going to be the minority here. Jill has shoved cameras in Israel’s face dozens of times coaxing him for the camera, to relate a story or post a picture. Remember the video last summer when Israel was absolutely terrified of riding in the boat, he was sobbing. And Jill was filming him for YouTube? 

We have seen so many dubious pics and videos with unexplained contexts, that have been fodder for discussions here, filming kids at 1 AM to crying babies.

If you exploit your kids to ham it up for the camera, well don’t be surprised when your husband does the same.  ??‍♀️

I agree with you in that I don't feel bad for Jill. I never do, the Dillards are the most obnoxious couple for me by a long shot, literally the highest compliment I can pay to them is "at least they try new food." It's wrong for both of them, for Wreck to do this to her, and for her to do this to Israel. 

I wonder how JB feels about the fact that he had such a large role in choosing Derrick. Jill was his perfect daughter and the first one to get married so there must have been some pressure to get it right (especially knowing how badly she wanted to emulate her parents). I wonder if Michelle resents JB (to some degree, and perhaps silently) for the situation her daughter is in now. I know they aren't perfect parents but it must hurt on SOME level to see their daughter showing up to family events alone, being carted off to CA with a baby and married to someone who contradicts the family brand so much.

17 hours ago, singsingsing said:

This reminds me of how I just told my mum that I've been thinking about getting a golden retriever. She said, "The great thing about a dog is that they'll bark if anyone comes around the house!" I was like, "A golden retriever, are you kidding me? He'd open the door for them!"

My 12 pound 16 year old dog, will bark at leaves, wind, birds, and other dogs. People she rolls over and demands belly rubs. She used to bark at people now she just can't be bothered, she figures she too old for that shit, she's old she's cute and she demands your love and affection.  Not that she would do any good, she's mostly blind, toothless and weights 12 pounds we mostly just giggle at her. 

33 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

I don't think I'm down with the "it's okay for Derrick to be abusive to Jill, because she's abusive to the kids" idea.

SMH at that one.

That's not what I intended to say, so I hope you aren't getting that impression from me.  I  said when you demonstrate an exploitative behavior  in partnership with your spouse don't be surprised when your husband does it to you.  Clearly,  in their home this is considered acceptable and normal to promote their Youtube/Instagram channel. 

Do I find Derick's behavior abhorrent?  Absolutely.   Do I think Jill should be surprised it happened?  Nope.  I think it's all the more reason for her to reconsider what she is doing to the kids.

Ok you guys are really freaking me out with this mouse thread drift...we had a mouse in our apartment (we live in a house split into an upstairs and downstairs unit, in the upstairs) and I was pretty sure that was the only one and we caught it, but now I’m afraid there’s hundreds more in our walls or something?

18 hours ago, singsingsing said:

This reminds me of how I just told my mum that I've been thinking about getting a golden retriever. She said, "The great thing about a dog is that they'll bark if anyone comes around the house!" I was like, "A golden retriever, are you kidding me? He'd open the door for them!"

Definitely not the case at my house- my golden is a pretty good guard dog. We once had a neighbor decide to just come barging into our house unannounced and she was promptly backed into a wall until I came and held the dog by his collar-took quite of a bit to get the dog to stop barking at her and calm down. And another time the meter guy decided to cut through our back yard where the dog was tied up and then was angry when the dog wouldn't stop barking at him (he didn't attack- he stayed at least 10ft away but was barking like a mad man). I really didn't feel bad for the guy though- common sense says you don't just walk into an unknown dog's territory. He IS very friendly when people come over and properly knock and walk through the door though. Then they have to fight him off because he just wants pets and to lick faces.

Our three cats take care of any mice who may get in. Our 20 pound tub of lard is actually a very good mouser.

And back on topic- that video made me pretty uncomfortable. She clearly wanted him to not film her and was still upset about the mouse situation. It felt wrong to even be watching it. The other day I tried to get a picture of my son laying in the snow with his snowsuit on but after laying him down he started crying so I put my phone away and picked him up and didn't get my picture. I had a brief second of thinking about taking a crying picture anyway(not to post, just for me) but I looked at that beautiful face getting upset and I couldn't do it. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived