IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

8 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

No one can forget the atrocities associated with the swastika and confederate flag. We don't have to see these symbols of hate to know or remember what they stand for.

I think I understand what you are saying, but I feel these symbols still need to be taught. A generation or two from now I don’t want the memory of the hate to fade. We need for people know what these hate symbols look like. How to spot them and the people who fly them 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

It is important for all kids to learn about the worlds dark history.

Of course. When I worked for a German owned corporation, I befriended an intern from Germany who explained that they learn all about Nazis and the Holocaust in school. They were the perpetrators, but it is recognized that they need to be educated about their country's ugly history (he was the nicest young man BTW).

If I see a pickup truck driving around with a confederate flag in the back window, I get upset. And I see this right here in northern Illinois. It shocks me every time. I will never be able to be just matter-of-fact about this symbol of hate and what it did to my ancestors, most of whom I will never know who they were. Slavery destroyed black families.

10 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I think I understand what you are saying, but I feel these symbols still need to be taught.

I never said they didn't. Just that there needs to be sensitivity in the way symbols of hate are presented due to the impact on those who were targets of the hate. That's all.

10 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

A generation or two from now I don’t want the memory of the hate to fade.

There's little chance of that happening. The civil war ended a hundred and fifty years ago. The civil rights era didn't begin until a hundred years after the war ended. Hate is stronger than ever now. It goes much deeper than just the symbols. Racism is woven right into the fabric of American culture.

Tip-toeing out now.

@SilverBeach I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from as much as I can.  Those same symbols incite anger and honestly, fear when I see them. Fear because what kind of psycho rides around with a nazi or confederate sticker on their car or flag outside their house?!  I see this stuff on the internet way more than irl where I live. I see it more where I grew up though.  It is getting worse. Floodgates have opened via 45. I really did think we were on a better progressive path. Were we? I don't even know anymore.  Was I imagining that? I mean it was no utopia but, wow. 

21 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

As a black person, I see the confederate flag as a symbol of the enslavement of my ancestors. Even now, it is racists who display it. It viscerally upsets me. This flag is not just a sign of  a divided America, its a sign of treason.  There is no way to delete it from history, but the confederate flag remains offensive to many of us.

I haven’t read any further than this but I wanted to say a sincere thank you. I am not American so I only see that flag on TV occasionally. I thought it was something that was mostly used by heavily accented conservative southerners who wave it while they yell about their right to bear arms. That’s the shallow impression I got from my limited viewing of a small range of shows and I appreciate being given a better understanding. 

Here in the Netherlands it is forbidden to wear or wave the swastika in public.

You can print it for educational purposes but as soon as it indicates some sort of personal ideology it is forbidden on the law of ‘act of racism’.

I think it is the same in many European countries and I would expect the same for the confederate flag in the US. Although I just checked, the confederate flag is not forbidden here, which is strange. Maybe our law only cares about damage done to our own nation. ?

• Jellybean locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jellybean locked this topic

Archived