• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Jellybean

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

VelociRapture
50 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I never met Mr. Four's father, who died when he (my husband) was thirteen. Mr. Four does speak of his LIFE more than his death, but he does speak of the death and the aftermath at least once or twice a year. So, even fifty years later, he talks about it. Like Derek's father's death, it was sudden and unexpected. 

I think of Mr. Four's father, I wish I could have met him, I pray for him, but I don't MISS him, nor do I pretend to. 

I think this Dillard "we miss him" stuff is some sort of attempt at inclusiveness, bonding,.......further enmeshment.

Didn’t someone on here once explain that this type of focus on death and the afterlife is common in the type of religious beliefs the Duggars hold? I think it was said in relation to a post Jill made about Rick’s death in the past abd how she and Izzy were looking forward to meeting him in Heaven or something.

bella8050

I would add this post to the list of "things Jill posts that I wouldn't" (yes its a long list). I would leave a remembrance post up to my SO and then add my feelings in a comment to that post. 

Three years ago when my aunt passed I ended up having to block someone who I had never met, but who had worked with my aunt, and starting tagging her in posts for weeks. I know she meant well but from the outside it was like she was 'social media grieving' more than her family and closest friends and it came off as more about her than my aunt.

Depressed
onekidanddone
On 1/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, singsingsing said:

Lime yogurt is the best! I find the citrus-y taste perfectly counteracts the sourness of the yogurt. It's really good.

@singsingsing you inspired me 

AEFF13A4-BC6B-4A4D-82E8-4283FFD9AF74.jpeg

xlurker
On 1/17/2019 at 4:06 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I would have been in lower elementary grades  when Carter was in office,

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but wanted to add I was also learning the metric system in lower to mid elementary grades.  And to date myself a bit, that was prior to the Carter administration.

Glasgowghirl

Jill's post would have been fine if she had said how she had wished that her and the boys had the chance to meet him. My uncle died 12 years ago in a similar way to Derick's dad. My cousin has had 6 children since then and his ex did make a post on the anniversary of his death one year saying that she would have loved the chance to meet him and that his grandchildren will know who he was. 

I think Jill unintentionally says things that come across as horrible, Jill Rod doesn't seem to care how she comes across.

BeccaGrim

I'd love to know what his grades were in his first semester in law school. Just out of curiosity. Good student. Bad student.  No real reason for this other than my own interest. LOL

Waffle Time
OldFadedStar

Total potential thread drift here and a little BEC...

I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant. I looked down at my toes and realized that i needed to get them painted.. or at least remove the nail polish on there. I do a little test to see if I can even reach my toes at this point and yes, yes I can. Pretty easily actually. 

Then the image of Derrick painting Jills toe nails at Jessas wedding popped into my head. Calendar wise, I'm pretty close to being as pregnant as she was... which means she would have been about 18-19 weeks at Jessas wedding. In the beginning of November, I hadn't slowed anything down at all in my life. Heck, I painted my own toe nails at the beginning of December easily. I cant remember, was he just being sweet or was she unable to paint her toe nails? 

Then I got to thinking about the perceived helplessness of pregnant women. It feels like everyone assumes pregnant women are delicate flowers who cant do anything for themselves and many pregnant women probably restrict what they can do to an extreme. I've been skating at a high level for about 8 years now and I continued to skate throughout the first part of my pregnancy. People got upset that I dared put on my skates after finding out I was pregnant even though I had no bump and was going maybe a quarter of my typical intensity. 

Obviously, everybody is different and every pregnancy is different.. it just got me thinking in terms of fundie pregnancy. If they believe they are unable to do anything while pregnant and spend a majority of their lives pregnant, is it possible for them to even have anything independent of pregnancy? 

Kayleigh83
On 1/19/2019 at 9:11 AM, LilMissMetaphor said:

I've never heard these called anything other than "freezies", regardless of brand, so that was an interesting drift.

images.jpg

Same here, always known these as just freezies no matter what. But that big giant bulk box with no labeling whatsoever on the packages inside was what you saw 99% of the time anyways. Perfect cheap childhood summer treat. Best flavor was white, then blue, then orange - the rest were just kind of there.

On the topic of food photography, I’ve also wondered why she hasn’t asked or hasn’t been offered some tips by Jinger who has been a hobby photographer for years? Granted more for portraits but I’m sure she can give lots of general tips that could be applied to food photography!

I think in Jill’s case it’s really that she doesn’t know any better to know she can DO any better at this point. I really hope she keeps at it and grows in her skill and confidence with it though if it’s something she enjoys - we all start somewhere.

bella8050

I loved freeze pops...but I never liked them to be frozen all the way. I'd either take them out of the freezer early or let them melt a bit. I liked them slushy. When they were empty my cousins and I would roll them up and then try to blow them out like NYE/birthday noisemakers. 

Lurker

I don't think that it would occur to Jill that she could learn something from Jinger.

Jill seems like she is convinced she is always right or better than any one else.  Her recipes, her husband, her kids papa are always the best ever.

I doubt she recognizes she has room for improvement in her recipes, presentation and photography.  Even if she did, she would not ask a younger sister that she probably views with a mixture of contempt, resentment and envy for anything.