IGNORED

Dillards 72: Peak Pathetic

Jellybean

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Yeah the old guy looks like one of the two cranky old men muppets. 

I feel like one of those muppets

2 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I believe they're both meant to look like they are hanging vertically.

I was referring to the Marvel comic. Even vertically, the stars are in the upper left. Sorry to be so pedantic. ?. I'm blaming Marvel this time, not the Dillards.

The confederate flag is part of American history. It should be part of our history but not glorified. It’s a sign of an America divided. 

6 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

The confederate flag is part of American history. It should be part of our history but not glorified. It’s a sign of an America divided. 

As a black person, I see the confederate flag as a symbol of the enslavement of my ancestors. Even now, it is racists who display it. It viscerally upsets me. This flag is not just a sign of  a divided America, its a sign of treason.  There is no way to delete it from history, but the confederate flag remains offensive to many of us.

7 hours ago, artdecades said:

I feel like I have failed as a librarian. I can't find that book. I need more to go off of

I also thought it might be the back of a book, so I looked around. (I spent way too much time on this.)

My best guess is it's the back of this book(unconfirmed):

https://www.amazon.com/Going-School-During-Civil-War/dp/0736808027/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=46JGFWHEQZBRA6W4SX02

Sadly, there are a few books for children that are pro-Confederacy (Slate even has an article about them). However, their back covers are all viewable on Amazon and none of them match no-star flag + weird troll guy. 

The Confederate flag is a universal symbol of ignorance and a symbol of the success of revisionist history thanks to groups like the United Daughters of the Confederacy.  

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

However, their back covers are all viewable on Amazon

OK, maybe I'm really losing it here, but I can't seem to figure out how to view the back cover of a book on Amazon.  Help?  Thanks!  ETA:  I just found one that shows the back cover using the 'look inside' feature.  Guess I was only looking at books that didn't show it before!

I agree that it may be the back of a book.  I'm less certain that what looks like the confederate flag actually is, though I have no better idea to offer.  Definitely no idea about lumpy troll guy.

I'm tempted to show the photo to my library staff co-worker who deals with all the kids books, to see if she can recognize it from half an image.

2 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I agree that it may be the back of a book.  I'm less certain that what looks like the confederate flag actually is, though I have no better idea to offer.  Definitely no idea about lumpy troll guy.

At first I thought it could be a barn door, but I've come around to confederate flag.  Lumpy troll guy looks like steam powered machinery to me?  I'm not sure.  I'm becoming way to interested in this book. 

11 hours ago, artdecades said:

I feel like I have failed as a librarian. I can't find that book. I need more to go off of

Someone needs to go undercover and ask for a list of the Childrens books they own.

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I also thought it might be the back of a book, so I looked around. (I spent way too much time on this.)

My best guess is it's the back of this book(unconfirmed):

https://www.amazon.com/Going-School-During-Civil-War/dp/0736808027/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=46JGFWHEQZBRA6W4SX02

Sadly, there are a few books for children that are pro-Confederacy (Slate even has an article about them). However, their back covers are all viewable on Amazon and none of them match no-star flag + weird troll guy. 

I saw the slate article and checked the books mentioned to see if any of them was the one but I don’t think so. I completely believe derick and Jill would have a pro confederate stance though. 

12 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I agree, it is like the Nazi flag, this is it, it is vile it is evil, lets all remember it for what it was so we don't make the same mistakes again. 

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I agree, it is like the Nazi flag, this is it, it is vile it is evil, lets all remember it for what it was so we don't make the same mistakes again. 

No one can forget the atrocities associated with the swastika and confederate flag. We don't have to see these symbols of hate to know or remember what they stand for.

I don’t know why this photo makes me feel embarrassed, maybe it’s for all the good lawyers out there.  It’s just not something I would put on social media.  I guess I’m just weird that way.

Spoiler

0458F4A7-89A1-42E4-A7D4-EDEEE33FE00C.thumb.jpeg.3d14a196bb72b0d13863b6277e8e2a78.jpeg

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

No one can forget the atrocities associated with the swastika and confederate flag. We don't have to see these symbols of hate to know or remember what they stand for.

I think they should be in history books, museums of the time, or movies of the wars; not displayed anywhere proudly as the Confederate flag is. When they're in those places it should be within the context of everything they stood for and the evils associated with them. If they aren't shown in those (appropriate) places, future generations will not know what they are or what they stand for.

6 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

The Confederate flag is a universal symbol of ignorance and a symbol of the success of revisionist history thanks to groups like the United Daughters of the Confederacy.  

Imagine how up in arms conservatives would get about Filipina, Mexican, Spanish, Japanese, German, Cuban, Afghan, or Iraqi women in the US forming groups centered around the fact that they're descended from our adversaries (or targets, as the case may be...) in wartime. 

6 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

If they aren't shown in those (appropriate) places, future generations will not know what they are or what they stand for.

They will know. Yoy can see these symbols on the evening news. I'm just saying that there should be mindfulness of the pain that these symbols of hate can cause, that's all. Great sensitivity has to be shown in any context, educational or otherwise.

4 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Not so sure about that, how many people today don't believe the holocaust happened?  I'm not saying go waving these things around or displaying them, but as someone up thread stated when shown/used in proper conjunction to learn about history they can be useful.  

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Not so sure about that, how many people today don't believe the holocaust happened? 

Holocaust denier nuts won't be convinced otherwise by seeing swastikas.. I don't think there is a large universe of them, it's such a fringe belief even for hatemongers.

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Not so sure about that, how many people today don't believe the holocaust happened?  I'm not saying go waving these things around or displaying them, but as someone up thread stated when shown/used in proper conjunction to learn about history they can be useful.  

I agree that history in school shouldn't be whitewashed like it was when I was in school in the sixties and seventies. It was like slavery never happened. All I'm saying is that even in an academic context, symbols of extreme hate can be unnerving to those who are members of groups who were targets of the hate. It's easier to be dispassionate when the hate wasn't directed at your racial, ethnic, or religious group. I'm a tad emotional about this.

39 minutes ago, mstee said:

Should they be in history books? Definitely. Does my neighbor down the road need to fly that flag? Nope. 

Totally agree. It is important for all kids to learn about the worlds dark history.  That's why many of us are viscerally upset about 45 and pence. We see signs. We recognize it.  But, it stops there. No more glorifying racist statues or flying of racist flags all willy nilly like that is not hugely offensive to many.  

Edit: was it Yale that had stained glass depictions of cotton picking slaves in a common area?  Not that it's ok in any area, just trying to narrow down which ivy league school that is. I believe they finally took them down.  

While you (general) have the right to display the confederate flag, you must also be prepared for the consequences.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

While you (general) have the right to display the confederate flag, you must also be prepared for the consequences.

I always picture those consequences to be an epic beat down ala Scorsese or Tarrantino flicks. A girl can dream.....

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived