IGNORED

John David and Abbie 7: Happiness Continues

Coconut Flan

A google search: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectarianism_in_Glasgow   I’m Irish. Also with some Scottish settler stuff which was frowned upon. This is well known to me.

I’m not from Scotland but my MIL is, and my DH grew up spending his school holidays there.

It’s really an extension of the troubles in Northern Ireland. Glasgow has a large community of Catholics (mostly descended from Irish immigrants) and Scottish Protestants. The Scottish flavor of sectarianism is particularly expressed in the football rivalry of Glasgow Celtic (Irish Catholic) and Glasgow Rangers (Scottish Protestant). Green is the color of Celtic and Blue the color of Rangers and one has to be careful of what they are wearing in the various neighborhoods and suburbs.

I witnessed one episode of sectarian violence what I can only describe as one of the most bizarre incidents I have ever encountered. I was waiting with my DH on the train platform at Queen Street station, and on the opposite platform were a couple of Celtic fans (obvious by their clothing). A train pulled up with a couple Rangers fans (obvious by their clothing) and when the doors opened the Celtic fans rushed onto the train and started beating the living daylights out of the Rangers fans - I distinctly remember looking through the train window and seeing blood spray out of one of the Ranger’s fans noses onto the window. When the train was ready to leave the station the Celtic fans jumped off and the train left with the bloodied Rangers fans continuing on their journey.

My husband witnessed a few very harrowing things as a child, including the time his Uncle taking him to Celtic Park for an Old Firm match. On the second tier a Rangers fan somehow drunkenly walked into a Celtic section, and was tossed over the tier and onto the field.

I have no idea how you turn around centuries of ingrained hatred and violence. My DH’a mother made a point of moving away from Glasgow and raising her children in the borders so DH and his sister wouldn’t get sucked in. Which worked out, but that isn’t a feasible solution for everyone either.
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm surprised no one has chosen the Caribbean for a honeymoon. (That I can think of--I may be forgetting someone....)

Waaaaayyy to much Nike for them. A lot of fun stuff and Caribbean culture would be lost on them anyways. 

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Waaaaayyy to much Nike for them. A lot of fun stuff and Caribbean culture would be lost on them anyways. 

Plus the food is actually seasoned.

That isn't meant, mind you, to hate on Nordic/Baltic cuisine; I was in Estonia in the autumn of last year, which is culturally, geographically, and economically quite close to Finland, and I ate some great local food. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

@nastyhobbitses I can just imagine them at an all-inclusive being defrauded by the activities staff pouring shots in people's mouths on the pool deck and teaching dance moves. 

Wait, actually can we please send the Duggars to the Caribbean? 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

@nastyhobbitses I can just imagine them at an all-inclusive being defrauded by the activities staff pouring shots in people's mouths on the pool deck and teaching dance moves. 

Wait, actually can we please send the Duggars to the Caribbean? 

I would let Billy McFarland out of jail to give Fyre Festival another go if that could be a Duggar honeymoon. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Fundielandobserver said:

Someone on pickles page mentioned they went to FIJI for their real honeymoon

In the video Abbie said the first trip was “someplace hot [and] beachy” (which isn’t really a word, as my phone keeps trying to tell me) and “beachy” sounded a lot like “Fiji.” I don’t think they went there. More likely John flew them to Mexico, Central America, or the Caribbean.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

19 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

John and Abbie went to Finland on their TLC honeymoon. The tlc article also acknowledged a private “warm weather” honeymoon, but it didn’t say where. I think it’s the first time that tlc has acknowledged the private mini moon. 

https://www.tlcme.com/shows/counting-on/articles/john-david-and-abbie-duggar-s-chilly-honeymoon-

What?? They were in my freaking home town? ? It certainly feels unexpected, and uncomfortable, to have Duggars so close. How come they with their shitty home education even knew Finland existed? ? 

• Upvote 12

41 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

TLC told them. 

I have some not very nice words for TLC then ?

Edited by Queen
clarification
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 12

12 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

I’m not from Scotland but my MIL is, and my DH grew up spending his school holidays there.

It’s really an extension of the troubles in Northern Ireland. Glasgow has a large community of Catholics (mostly descended from Irish immigrants) and Scottish Protestants. The Scottish flavor of sectarianism is particularly expressed in the football rivalry of Glasgow Celtic (Irish Catholic) and Glasgow Rangers (Scottish Protestant). Green is the color of Celtic and Blue the color of Rangers and one has to be careful of what they are wearing in the various neighborhoods and suburbs.

I witnessed one episode of sectarian violence what I can only describe as one of the most bizarre incidents I have ever encountered. I was waiting with my DH on the train platform at Queen Street station, and on the opposite platform were a couple of Celtic fans (obvious by their clothing). A train pulled up with a couple Rangers fans (obvious by their clothing) and when the doors opened the Celtic fans rushed onto the train and started beating the living daylights out of the Rangers fans - I distinctly remember looking through the train window and seeing blood spray out of one of the Ranger’s fans noses onto the window. When the train was ready to leave the station the Celtic fans jumped off and the train left with the bloodied Rangers fans continuing on their journey.

My husband witnessed a few very harrowing things as a child, including the time his Uncle taking him to Celtic Park for an Old Firm match. On the second tier a Rangers fan somehow drunkenly walked into a Celtic section, and was tossed over the tier and onto the field.

I have no idea how you turn around centuries of ingrained hatred and violence. My DH’a mother made a point of moving away from Glasgow and raising her children in the borders so DH and his sister wouldn’t get sucked in. Which worked out, but that isn’t a feasible solution for everyone either.

That is a good description. Yesterday a man was jailed for 18 months for spitting at priest on the day of an Orange walk.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47387094&ved=2ahUKEwiQ6fmx397gAhXB1eAKHTjLANwQFjAKegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1GwgpdQc_r2-7DFRZnbLXi&ampcf=1

I have went to Celtic games but I'd never go to an old firm game, I worked at a couple when was a teen and worked at Celtic park, no incidents happened then but a few things have happened in the past two or three years. In 2012 Rangers went into administration and liquidated the club were made to start from the bottom division so for a few years the teams didn't meet other than two cup games. When Rangers returned to the top flight the idiots on both sides have decided to escalate the violence against eachother.

It is probably going to get worse since Brendan Rodgers quit as Celtic manager on Tuesday to manage Leicester City and Neil Lennon has replaced him temporarily, Neil Lennon is from Northern Ireland and when he joined Celtic as a player in 2000 he began to get threats and had to quit playing for Northern Ireland. 

Violence at old firms in the 80s caused alcohol to be banned from all Scottish football games. The only exception is corporate hospitality.

• Upvote 7

Hearing about unfilmed hot beachy holidays makes me wonder if Abbie was sporting a bikini.

Married less than a year, and they're already on honeymoon number 2. I haven't been on a non work related trip in years. Life isn't  fair! I guess Jeebus is punishing me for being an evil queermo who's never been married and has kissed more people than I can count.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 10
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Someone on pickles page mentioned they went to FIJI for their real honeymoon

Speaking of Pickles (I wish I weren't)....here she goes again, all "I broke this story, I broke that story, my source this, my source that..."   Not exactly state secrets. Good grief! 

So what? Does she get a trophy for that? Some kind of commendation? An all expense paid two week vacation to Arkansas? Of all the things one can accomplish in life, she's going to hang her hat on being Duggar insider extraordinaire?  

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Plus the food is actually seasoned.

That isn't meant, mind you, to hate on Nordic/Baltic cuisine; I was in Estonia in the autumn of last year, which is culturally, geographically, and economically quite close to Finland, and I ate some great local food. 

Did you ever watch the New Scandinavian Cooking show? Oh the food! 

44 minutes ago, viii said:

I would be shocked if Abbie wore a bikini, lol. 

I wonder if she wore a modest suit? I actually could see her in some kind of tank and board shorts. 

• Upvote 7

HONEYMOON IN FINLAND WHAT NOW :pb_eek:

edit: I wonder if it was their own decision, or if it's a decision from TLC. Likely a way to entice more Finnish eyes to both Doogerboogers and TLC in general. We Finns can go fucking nuts when Finland's mentioned in larger media...

Edited by finnlassie
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Based on work behavior I've seen related to certain trips that take place - who in production wanted a company paid trip to Finland?  

And is it wrong of me to imagine this pair rocking out to Finish Metal somewhere?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, finnlassie said:

HONEYMOON IN FINLAND WHAT NOW :pb_eek:

edit: I wonder if it was their own decision, or if it's a decision from TLC. Likely a way to entice more Finnish eyes to both Doogerboogers and TLC in general. We Finns can go fucking nuts when Finland's mentioned in larger media...

On the Duggar Family Blog it says they are in Finland NOW. You might run in to them! :pb_surprised:

I’d be so shocked if I saw a Duggar in the wild. 

• Haha 3
  • Thank You 1

22 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

On the Duggar Family Blog it says they are in Finland NOW. You might run in to them! :pb_surprised:

Why am I always occupied when shit like this happens yes still bitter about missing Conan O'Brien back in 2006

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

re: Glasgow, Scotland

I used to live in Glasgow. I was a student teacher, so it was... difficult. We were told to NEVER tell children what sports teams we supported, what schools we went to, etc. Though, I had an advantage point. Being Finnish, it was easy to just reply "dunno, don't follow football, I'm Finnish so I support Finland's ice hockey team!".

Someone I knew was shocked I moved to a Fenian area. Cuz I'm protestant you know.

Orange walks were hard to swallow. And still are. I used to live on Glasgow's High street and it was fucking obnoxious. Council tried to ban Orange walks, but the subject always falls apart. :no:

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

God I hope I don't run into them. Is now the time to take a spontaneous vacation pretty much anywhere? ? Just kidding, but I still hope I won't see them. 

Also we already had Trump here last summer, what has Helsinki done to deserve even more American right wing extremists? Why is the land of metal band loving heretics who go naked in the sauna (yes, sometimes even women and men together - gasp!) appealing in the first place? ? It's not it's cheap here either, so I doubt TLC took them here for financial reasons. But maybe I'm overanalyzing it. 

I'm really curious to know what they'll acctually do in Helsinki/Finland. Certainly not visit Santa in Lapland, he's surely too pagan for them? And I doubt they know about the Moomin trolls (popular children's books), which is another reason people come here. (Also the Moomin creator Tove Jansson and her girlfriend Tuulikki Pietilä were the best known lesbian couple in Finnish history, so not exactly fundie appropriate...) 

In the background of the photo of Abbie and JD there's the gorgeous Eastern Orthodox Uspenski Cathedral, very popular among tourists. It's from the 19th century when Finland was a part of Russia. I do wonder if they'll visit it, but I guess that since it's not a Lutheran church, it's off the list. Too bad for them because it really is gorgeous, at least in my opinion (see picture below). 

256px-Uspenski_interior.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

On 2/27/2019 at 10:05 PM, freethemall said:

I would looooove to see one of these couples in Amsterdam.

Oh Rufus, I can just imagine TLC sending them out to get a coffee in Amsterdam. :pb_lol: 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 1

I want to see a Duggar vacation in Canada, preferably with Rick Mercer as their guide.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

On 2/28/2019 at 10:29 PM, clueliss said:

Based on work behavior I've seen related to certain trips that take place - who in production wanted a company paid trip to Finland?  

And is it wrong of me to imagine this pair rocking out to Finish Metal somewhere?

According to my boss who goes to Finland on business quite a bit, once the liquor starts flowing (and someone else is paying for it -- shit's expensive in Finland, and in fact, when I walked around the main port in Tallinn, the place was lousy with Finns buying cheaper booze in the port duty free shops), Finns can party pretty hard. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, finnlassie said:

Orange walks were hard to swallow. And still are. I used to live on Glasgow's High street and it was fucking obnoxious. Council tried to ban Orange walks, but the subject always falls apart. :no:

Both the Orange and Republican marches are destructive. Fewer people seem to be following them now compared to previous generations. My family mixed and we didn't follow either of them. 

I remember about 20 years ago walking to fish and chip shop with my sister and an orange walk going buy and being a bit scared because I realised I was wearing the Celtic training top, I was about 11. I was a sensitive child and was scared they would shout abuse. I know a few of the family's that are part of our local orange walk and while they are otherwise nice people, I just think that in this day and age both marches should be banned or be made to meet in a large park or venue away from the public.

• Upvote 3

I'm just whining that these two get to go (and won't appreciate enough imo).

I want to go to Finland because I know it is the best place for Celiac's to find food. From one article  "Welcome to Finland, where the locals know almost as much about celiac disease as they do about heavy metal." "Or Finland is the world's Celiac Headquarters."

Perfect place for me.

• Upvote 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic