IGNORED

John David and Abbie 7: Happiness Continues

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, Kailash said:

My daughter never cut her own hair or anyone else’s, thankfully. I did allow her to cut her barbies’ hair though.  My husband would never trust me to cut his hair. He is very particular and has very thick hair. It’s definitely worth the $20-$25 every 2 weeks to not have him stress about it. 

My husband doesn't trust me to cut his hair either. I have offered to so many times. He's in the military and has a very specific (but easy!) cut and also gets a cut twice a month. He's also SUPER frugal, so it surprises me that he pays for haircuts... but it does take the pressure off of me. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

55 minutes ago, twoandthrough said:

My husband doesn't trust me to cut his hair either. I have offered to so many times. He's in the military and has a very specific (but easy!) cut and also gets a cut twice a month. He's also SUPER frugal, so it surprises me that he pays for haircuts... but it does take the pressure off of me. 

My dad is in the military and one time when I was in high school he forgot to get his hair cut before a drill weekend. So he asked me to do it. I was nervous and didn't want to, but he assured me there was no way I could mess it up with the guards on the electric clippers. Turns out you can still mess it up! He always remembered to go get it cut by a professional after that...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, twoandthrough said:

Are you me? I've been telling mine for years that I can do it at home, it's the same haircut I've given my brothers quite a few times over the years. Plus lately his haircuts have been crap, long hairs sticking out everywhere, and I have to do significant touch up work anyway.

• Upvote 3

I cut my brother’s fringe once, when I was about seven and he was about three. My mum came into my room and screamed. Brother and I both burst into tears. I didn’t try cutting anyone’s hair after that...

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I buzzed my father's hair the week before he took ill last year. It put me off from doing it again for him. ?

• Love 6

20 hours ago, Wifey4Lifey said:

My dad is in the military and one time when I was in high school he forgot to get his hair cut before a drill weekend. So he asked me to do it. I was nervous and didn't want to, but he assured me there was no way I could mess it up with the guards on the electric clippers. Turns out you can still mess it up! He always remembered to go get it cut by a professional after that...

Hahahaha! That'll do it for sure! 

19 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

Are you me? I've been telling mine for years that I can do it at home, it's the same haircut I've given my brothers quite a few times over the years. Plus lately his haircuts have been crap, long hairs sticking out everywhere, and I have to do significant touch up work anyway.

Oh, wow! I have never touched up my husband's, but then I rarely even notice when he gets a hair cut since he gets them so frequently and always the same one... hah

• Upvote 2

And apparently they followed “different courtship standards” than other Duggars as per the Duggar Family Blog. Could anyone that can watch the video enlighten me as to what they did differently? :) thanks! 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, FundieCentral said:

And apparently they followed “different courtship standards” than other Duggars as per the Duggar Family Blog. Could anyone that can watch the video enlighten me as to what they did differently? :) thanks! 

He and Abbie had slightly different courtship standards to his siblings (supposedly - they don't seem any different to me), although they all get to decide what their courtship standards are. He and Abbie chose to have some contact like putting their arms around each other and giving each other hugs. They felt like this was appropriate because they're older and more mature.

They sat down and made a list of courtship guidelines at the beginning of their relationship. Their main goal was honouring God and having no regrets. 

They set very strict standards (JD's words) on what was okay and not okay. One of their standards was not kissing before marriage.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 8

@singsingsing: thank you! So the usual. I was hopeful for a moment that when I read kissing they decided to kiss on the cheeks before marriage or something. But I I do suppose that would be outrageously immodest. 

Shower thought: what would the Duggars do in Belgium or France where kisses on the cheek is the appropriate greeting? 

Edited by FundieCentral
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, FundieCentral said:

(snip)

Shower thought: what would the Duggars do in Belgium or France where kisses on the cheek is the appropriate greeting?

The Duggars would use friendly greetings as opportunities to proselytises, I'd imagine. They would want to explain, hoping to win souls. Because everyone who gives you a friendly greeting as customary, wants to hear about their brand of Christianity. And that would probably go down like a lead balloon.

I base this on having watched their "World Tour", when they went to Scotland, and the Boob randomly started preaching to a street-performer.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I base this on having watched their "World Tour", when they went to Scotland, and the Boob randomly started preaching to a street-performer.  

When I watched that episode, I hadn't yet realized what the Duggars are; I just enjoyed watching their show. Even in my uncritical state, I still had a WTF moment at that. I wish I had put together all the little WTF moments I had watching "Whatever Kids and Counting" and realized it all didn't make sense. I got there after JoshGate 1.0, but not before.

• Upvote 13

12 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I laughed so hard at that. JimBoob asked if he believed in god and he goes nope. One word lol. Cue awkward silence. Then JimBoob of course, shakes it off and acts like he said "sure do" but it was amusing to watch him flounder in the absolute absence of belief momentarily.

Edited by HurricaneBells
Eta
  • Upvote 15

18 hours ago, singsingsing said:

He and Abbie had slightly different courtship standards to his siblings (supposedly - they don't seem any different to me), although they all get to decide what their courtship standards are. He and Abbie chose to have some contact like putting their arms around each other and giving each other hugs. They felt like this was appropriate because they're older and more mature.

They sat down and made a list of courtship guidelines at the beginning of their relationship. Their main goal was honouring God and having no regrets. 

They set very strict standards (JD's words) on what was okay and not okay. One of their standards was not kissing before marriage.

It is a sad inditement of Duggerville that I'm pleased they did ANYTHING different in terms of 'courtship standards', anything is an improvement on quick side hugs with no other affection.  On the other hand, trends are changing in fundie land so how much of this was John-David and Abbie and how much was following the current trends is another matter. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Now I can’t remember if it was a still shot or video from Josiah and Lauren’s wedding, but there was an image of Abbie with her arm around JD’s shoulder that projected so much confidence. She’s fundie, but she’s doesn’t “perform fundie.” I’m not surprised they chose to have more physical contact before engagement/marriage, and I’m a bit impressed that they framed it so frankly. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

I laughed so hard at that. JimBoob asked if he believed in god and he goes nope. One word lol. Cue awkward silence. Then JimBoob of course, shakes it off and acts like he said "sure do" but it was amusing to watch him flounder in the absolute absence of belief momentarily.

I’ve been trying to find this clip recently. Mostly because I’m interested in the reactions of the kids. It was probably the first time that they’ve seen someone flat out say they don’t believe in God. I remember Jim Bob talking about the earth being just the right distance from the sun as proof of God. Well, Jim Bob it’s called the habitable zone and every star has one. Not that you would have allowed your kids to know that.

• Upvote 3

On 2/6/2019 at 4:43 PM, Four is Enough said:

It is kind of sad that Abbie is being made over in the likeness of the Duggars... they're showing her how she must cut John's hair.. so will it be skirt wearing, non working, home schooling the chilluns next?

but she's from a family not that different from theirs? No makeover necessary - this definitely isn't a big transition for her and she'll have made her own fundie-friendly decisions about skirt-wearing, just like the adult Duggar girls have. As for the hair cutting, well, she hasn't been married before, so maybe she's never had to learn.

I'm hesitantly pleased that she is at least preserving the option to work by registering in Arkansas, bc working (! as a qualified professional, no less) is not something a Duggar wife has done yet, but there is definitely no cultural overhaul here: Abbie is what she always was.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

So it’s likely JD and Abby have the highest income rate of the young couples that doesn’t include TV money. I wonder if Abby intends to go higher and study for a RN license. Then she could make great money. My grandma was RN, it’s hard work but the benefits and pay can be great if you are at the right place.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, socalrules said:

So it’s likely JD and Abby have the highest income rate of the young couples that doesn’t include TV money.

We don't know that Abbie's actually working, though.

• Upvote 9

On 2/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, singsingsing said:

He and Abbie had slightly different courtship standards to his siblings (supposedly - they don't seem any different to me), although they all get to decide what their courtship standards are.

I need to correct this. After watching tonight's episode, he said that he and Abbie had different courtship standards than some of his siblings. I'm not sure if some was edited out of the first video or if I just missed it, but regardless, that makes a lot more sense.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

On 2/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, FundieCentral said:

@singsingsing: thank you! So the usual. I was hopeful for a moment that when I read kissing they decided to kiss on the cheeks before marriage or something. But I I do suppose that would be outrageously immodest. 

They, significantly, also didn’t mention having chaperones, or monitored conversations. What I got from their standards speech was since they were full-on adults, who already had a great deal of independence, they trusted themselves to be alone without supervision and follow the contact rules they set for themselves. 

I could of course be wrong, since it wasn’t discussed directly, but I definitely didn’t get the impression they made sure to have some younger sibling or another always in spying distance to make them accountable.

• Upvote 15

Also they did most of their courting in Oklahoma so it would have been up to the bride's family to provide a chaperone and it's usually the bride's family who has more of a say in determining the rules if rules there are.  I expect Abbie's parents were more you're two adults go figure it out.

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

They, significantly, also didn’t mention having chaperones, or monitored conversations. What I got from their standards speech was since they were full-on adults, who already had a great deal of independence, they trusted themselves to be alone without supervision and follow the contact rules they set for themselves. 

I could of course be wrong, since it wasn’t discussed directly, but I definitely didn’t get the impression they made sure to have some younger sibling or another always in spying distance to make them accountable.

It’s possible, but they never implied that and said they set very strict standards. They also had two chaperones with them when they got engaged.

• Upvote 11

On 2/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, singsingsing said:

How is that different from Jinger and Jeremy?  They are all so self righteous.

John does seem ridiculously happy.

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic